PDA

View Full Version : USC Setting the Example...

soonerspudman
8/7/2008, 10:26 AM
From this morning's USA today, no comment from USC, believe they're contemplating having him sit out the first quarter of their opener.

On a related note, read recently that the NCAA is "making progress" in it's Reggie Bush investigation. I supposed you could also say glaciers are "making progress" moving down the mountain...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/pac10/2008-08-07-simmons-robbery_N.htm

badger
8/7/2008, 11:15 AM
Ok, player suspension this, player dismissal that. How about... COACH SUSPENSION? :D

Pete Carroll has been suspended for the season opener for failing to keep his Trojan thugs in line... wait, scratch that. Nobody ever says what the violation is anymore...

Pete Carroll has been suspended for the season opener for violation of team rules. A University of Southern California athletics department spokesman said it is athletic department policy to handle matters internally. Carroll declined to comment.

THERE we go :D Of course, it will never happen, but after awhile, you have to wonder if the coaches could have been doing more to prevent this off-field crap. When a kiddo tosses a baseball through the neighbor's window, who has to pay for it? The mommy and daddy, but of course. Thus, when USC players throw the proverbial baseball through the window, it should be USC (daddy) and Carroll (mommy) that pay for the proverbial broken window.

Granted, every program has their bad apples, but the program chose and recruited the bad apples to begin with. Programs have no control over the bad apples? BULLFEATHERS! You're not in the peep show, you're just watching it? Thuggish athletes scare the bejeezus outta me! Or do they? Yes they do. Or do they? Yes. No? Yes.

Too much caffeine this morning... :P

OKLA21FAN
8/7/2008, 11:19 AM
At least he didn't commit the robbery and assault with a firearm on his high school grounds! :pop:

KingBarry
8/7/2008, 11:43 AM
Ok, player suspension this, player dismissal that. How about... COACH SUSPENSION? :D

Pete Carroll has been suspended for the season opener for failing to keep his Trojan thugs in line... wait, scratch that. Nobody ever says what the violation is anymore...

Pete Carroll has been suspended for the season opener for violation of team rules. A University of Southern California athletics department spokesman said it is athletic department policy to handle matters internally. Carroll declined to comment.

THERE we go :D Of course, it will never happen, but after awhile, you have to wonder if the coaches could have been doing more to prevent this off-field crap. When a kiddo tosses a baseball through the neighbor's window, who has to pay for it? The mommy and daddy, but of course. Thus, when USC players throw the proverbial baseball through the window, it should be USC (daddy) and Carroll (mommy) that pay for the proverbial broken window.

Granted, every program has their bad apples, but the program chose and recruited the bad apples to begin with. Programs have no control over the bad apples? BULLFEATHERS! You're not in the peep show, you're just watching it? Thuggish athletes scare the bejeezus outta me! Or do they? Yes they do. Or do they? Yes. No? Yes.

Too much caffeine this morning... :P

Coaches don't get suspended. They get FIRED, or not. When the probation hits, and if the off-the-filed antics continue, his leash will grow shorter. When he someday loses four games, that will be the end.

badger
8/7/2008, 11:49 AM
Coaches don't get suspended. They get FIRED, or not. When the probation hits, and if the off-the-filed antics continue, his leash will grow shorter. When he someday loses four games, that will be the end.

Meh, players can get "fired" too, but when players can get brief suspensions, why not coaches for equal infractions. I mean, with all the talk on making coaching transfers sit out a year like the players (Rich Roddy sit out a year before coming to Michigan? hehe) why not have the same penalties for coaches as players when things go absolutely wrong?

:cool: Yes, I am n00b baiting.

achiro
8/7/2008, 12:23 PM
no way I am faulting them for this one. Kid did this a month AFTER he signed. Now he's convicted, if USC still lets him on the team you can yell as much as you want to.
All teams have had their fair share of this sort of thing from recruits and even players.

achiro
8/7/2008, 12:31 PM
BTW, I have no problem faulting USC in the Bush deal. I definetly have no issue with asking why the **** USC is ranked so high in all the polls when they only return 11 starters after an 11 and 2 season and the QB lost one of those in one of his 3 starts.
But bitching about this makes you sound like an aggy.

Dio
8/7/2008, 12:44 PM
The important question is:

If he's convicted, does he have to pay back his signing bonus?

trey
8/7/2008, 12:45 PM
i'm sure glad that all of our players are nice little angels.:rolleyes:

Bourbon St Sooner
8/7/2008, 12:47 PM
Considering he's been convicted and sentencing is 8/28 I don't think Petey will have to worry about suspending him for the season. He can just tell him to stay in good shape for when he gets out on parole in 4 years.

cheezyq
8/7/2008, 02:38 PM
BTW, I have no problem faulting USC in the Bush deal. I definetly have no issue with asking why the **** USC is ranked so high in all the polls when they only return 11 starters after an 11 and 2 season and the QB lost one of those in one of his 3 starts.
But bitching about this makes you sound like an aggy.

I don't think anyone is "bitching" about it. And the difference between aggy and what's happening here is that USC has a highly-documented history (during the Pete Carroll era) of light punishment for serious offenses...thus the joke about "sitting out the 1st quarter".

Aggy takes the Jarboe and Quinn/Butthead incidents, and uses those as an opportunity to call all OU players a bunch of thugs and rail Stoops as "unethical" and a "cheater". They ignore facts, like the fact that all 3 were kicked off the team. Never mind that Stoops has a pretty darn good history of holding players accountable, while at the same time giving reasonable opportunities to those who have just simply made stupid mistakes. That kind of thing never registers to an aggy.

They've even accused guys like the Griffin brothers as thugs and gone so far as to make fun of the way their mom looks. I've been around here for about 2 years and I've rarely seen anything that remotely resembles aggy on this board. Sure, we have our whiners and our apologists, and we're all passionate about our Sooners and want to see equitable treatment. But to claim aggy on this board and in this particular circumstance is just, well..."inakurat" and "NOT TRUE!".

;)

cheezyq
8/7/2008, 02:42 PM
i'm sure glad that all of our players are nice little angels.:rolleyes:

I know!...I mean it's a good thing this guy didn't do such dastardly acts as "stealing gas", "steal a coat", or "take some money from a booster". Thank god he only robbed someone at gunpoint. :rolleyes:

achiro
8/7/2008, 03:10 PM
I don't think anyone is "bitching" about it. And the difference between aggy and what's happening here is that USC has a highly-documented history (during the Pete Carroll era) of light punishment for serious offenses...thus the joke about "sitting out the 1st quarter".

Aggy takes the Jarboe and Quinn/Butthead incidents, and uses those as an opportunity to call all OU players a bunch of thugs and rail Stoops as "unethical" and a "cheater". They ignore facts, like the fact that all 3 were kicked off the team. Never mind that Stoops has a pretty darn good history of holding players accountable, while at the same time giving reasonable opportunities to those who have just simply made stupid mistakes. That kind of thing never registers to an aggy.

They've even accused guys like the Griffin brothers as thugs and gone so far as to make fun of the way their mom looks. I've been around here for about 2 years and I've rarely seen anything that remotely resembles aggy on this board. Sure, we have our whiners and our apologists, and we're all passionate about our Sooners and want to see equitable treatment. But to claim aggy on this board and in this particular circumstance is just, well..."inakurat" and "NOT TRUE!".

;)

You are exactly right, how could I have been so wrong!?!?!?!?! :rolleyes:

JLEW1818
8/7/2008, 03:12 PM
USC athletics, suspend them for an entire year, that's a great way to fix things.

cheezyq
8/7/2008, 03:40 PM
You are exactly right, how could I have been so wrong!?!?!?!?! :rolleyes:

It's amazing how often people make a pointless retort and use the "rolleyes" as a stamp of authenticity.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/7/2008, 04:26 PM
I though that robbery at gunpoint was just the system of bartering that prevailed in Compton.

That's what Eazy E said.

achiro
8/7/2008, 04:45 PM
It's amazing how often people make a pointless retort and use the "rolleyes" as a stamp of authenticity.

All I am saying is that it is very ironic that a guy thats so fixed on USC that he has something about them in his sig line decides to defend the idea that its ok to slam a team for something a recruit(that's never stepped on the practice field as part of the team) did. It's aggy, and no different than them slamming us for off field issues, whether you're willing to admit it or not. Don't be part of the problem, be part of the solution.

achiro
8/7/2008, 04:49 PM
Oh, and stop giving the down horns sign in Sept!:mad: ;)

soonerspudman
8/7/2008, 05:45 PM
Kind of curious, USA Today has had this story posted since this morning, neither espn.com or si.com has picked it up (instead another headline story about how OU can't win BCS games, what a scoop, OU gets headlines when our QB from 20 years ago gets traffic tickets).

I get so sick of people having to bring this up, but if this was a Big 12 school/Big 10 school/SEC school/fill-in-the-blank-with-anyone-but-USC school it would a top item for espn/si. Where's the outrage? This only feeds the conspiracy theories...

rainiersooner
8/7/2008, 08:34 PM
no way I am faulting them for this one. Kid did this a month AFTER he signed. Now he's convicted, if USC still lets him on the team you can yell as much as you want to.
All teams have had their fair share of this sort of thing from recruits and even players.

Where's the fun in that deliberate, rational, and thoughtful approach? Jeeeesh!

cheezyq
8/8/2008, 09:33 AM
All I am saying is that it is very ironic that a guy thats so fixed on USC that he has something about them in his sig line decides to defend the idea that its ok to slam a team for something a recruit(that's never stepped on the practice field as part of the team) did. It's aggy, and no different than them slamming us for off field issues, whether you're willing to admit it or not. Don't be part of the problem, be part of the solution.

I totally understand where you're coming from. I just wanted to point out that the difference is that USC/Pete Carroll have a documented history of letting more serious offenses slide with little or no punishment. I'm too lazy to post a link, but do a Google search and it won't take long to find examples. Stoops doesn't have that history/reputation. Aggy never has a solid basis for their "lawjik". At least we have a sound reason to make thug jokes at USC's expense...whether or not the kid has never played a down doesn't make a difference. We're not so much making fun of this particular kid and his mistake as we are the situation at USC. Jarboe did dumb stuff before he ever snapped a down at OU, and Stoops took away his scholly and sent him home. It's doubtful that Petey does the same, as he's got a lengthy list of players that have done far worse with little to no punishment.

Thus, we can't be aggy, we're just fans that hate USC, just like any other fanbase out there. And believe me, we're not the only fanbase that hates USC, or makes fun of them. Part of being a fan is to make fun of other teams, especially when those teams are rivals, and in many ways equals. That's no big deal. On the other hand, being aggy is all about contriving random stories about OU and its fans, and taking generally good people (such as Stoops and the Griffin brothers and most of our fanbase) and accusing them of being cheaters, thugs, and people with mullets, etc. for the sake of being jealous.

I wouldn't say that I'm necessarily fixed on USC. I dislike cheaters, and the fact that USC consistently gets away with it is frustrating. I'd like to see them get their due, just like I'd like to see any other cheater get their due. Other than that, I think the comments here are funny because they can be tied to real events in a humorous way. And my sig was just something I thought was funny. It'd be funny if it was describing any other team, but the fact that a non-sports entity like UrbanDictionary describes USC that way makes it pretty hilarious, in my humble and probably twisted opinion. :)

Outopia
8/8/2008, 10:59 AM
Kind of curious, USA Today has had this story posted since this morning, neither espn.com or si.com has picked it up (instead another headline story about how OU can't win BCS games, what a scoop, OU gets headlines when our QB from 20 years ago gets traffic tickets).

I get so sick of people having to bring this up, but if this was a Big 12 school/Big 10 school/SEC school/fill-in-the-blank-with-anyone-but-USC school it would a top item for espn/si. Where's the outrage? This only feeds the conspiracy theories...

Does seem a bit odd, but I am sure they have no agenda:eek: .

stoopified
8/8/2008, 05:42 PM
Considering he's been convicted and sentencing is 8/28 I don't think Petey will have to worry about suspending him for the season. He can just tell him to stay in good shape for when he gets out on parole in 4 years.He might get off with probation like the Stoolwater child rapist.

Leroy Lizard
8/9/2008, 07:42 PM
USC Coach Pete Carroll called it "the most unfortunate news we could get for Maurice and for his family. We feel sorry for everything they have to go through."

I tend to feel more sorry for the person he robbed.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw-simmons7-2008aug07,0,7804481.story