PDA

View Full Version : Proctor busts into starting Strong Saftey Spot

MojoRisen
8/6/2008, 07:05 PM
Holmes moves back to corner, Dom Franks moved to Second Team -

What do you guys think of this move? I guess Sam Proctor is the real deal!

Kind of surprising news this morning but OU will be moving Lendy Holmes back to corner for the '08 season.

Holmes will switch to the field corner in place of Dominique Franks and Brian Jackson will man the short corner on the other side of the field.

Nic Harris will move to the free safety spot while Sam Proctor takes over at strong safety.

Quinton Carter will back up Proctor and then it's pretty much a position by position backup situation after that.

OU obviously didn't want two first-year starters at both of their corner positions and I couldn't agree more. It's a nice move and gives them some assurances that one side of the field will be taken care of.

I am a little surprised that Jackson is starting over Franks, but obviously things could change over the next several weeks.

INJURIES

Demarco Murray says he feels great but he does admit that he still isn't totally confident in his knee just yet. He said that will come and he's close and that Schmitty really put him through his paces this summer to prepare for the season.

He said he's not worried but he wants to get the pads on and get out there full speed.

Adron Tennell also told me that the reports of 'tweaking' his knee weren't really accurate and that he is feeling fine.

obviously he has a big brace on his knee and there has been a lot of talk about this subject. I'll have his exact quotes later today.

JARVIS JONES

Spoke to sources today about Jarvis Jones and OU is waiting on paperwork to be filed. He is supposed to send in his application and enrollment information and Sooner coaches expect he will be on campus tomorrow.

As of 10am, it hadn't arrived, but sources I spoke with didn't believe there would be any problems and they believe he is headed to OU.

olevetonahill
8/6/2008, 07:13 PM
Sounds good to me
thanks for the updates .

setem
8/6/2008, 07:18 PM
That stinks for Franks! I really thought he had what it takes to be one of our better players this year. I am not paid to think so I will let the coaches me the decisions.

OU-HSV
8/6/2008, 07:24 PM
Whatever's best...sounds good

goingoneight
8/6/2008, 07:39 PM
Franks looked good in the spring game, but let's not forget he had problems biting on the run against WVU. You can have all the speed in the world, but it takes patience he may not have yet to keep dynamic runners in front of you and make the play on them.

I seriously doubt he warms the bench all year, though. It just means we have a nice backup in the event the secondary succs coming out of the gate like it did in 2006 or we get an injury back there. We've got some nice, fit athletes in the secondary, it's just a matter of getting them in there and experienced. You cannot afford to have a project player in the BIG 12 on defense this year... the offenses will toy around with you.

MojoRisen
8/6/2008, 07:47 PM
I guess we can get away with high 4-5-4-6 spead at the corner spots... Seems we are a bit slow there in my mind. I think Jackson had a knee surgery and was high 4-5s out of highschool.

Sam Proctor apparently is a stud, but I remember Keenan Clayton getting similar praise as a R Freshman. It would be nice to have a real intimidator back at SS like Everage or Roy making big hits.

There is talk of this being our best 4 DB's though. I think Lendy is a player for sure and did well at CB - I thought he could have stayed there last year and Reggie played SS/FS.

AlbqSooner
8/6/2008, 07:58 PM
Dang - I read the title and thought they were gonna put Bobby at strong safety.

VA Sooner
8/6/2008, 08:04 PM
Hard-hitting backfield... I miss seeing that.

VA Sooner
8/6/2008, 08:04 PM
Just don't let Spurrier see you do that.

Sooner_09
8/6/2008, 08:50 PM
Holmes will be a better CB then SS, good move Bob!

KingDavid
8/6/2008, 10:09 PM
Holmes will be a better CB then SS, good move Bob!

I agree.

soonerspudman
8/7/2008, 10:39 AM
Thanks for this update, I was watching the Nic Harris interview last night posted on the OU site, he mentioned Holmes at corner and the press reacted with stunned silence and Nic looked like "oh crap, was I not supposed to tell"?
Also, Stoops specifically called out Proctor as being impressive, this explains a lot.

On a semi-related note, both Stoops and BV called out Bolagun as being impressive early. Sounds like if he can get his assignments right he'll be on the field...

47straight
8/7/2008, 10:53 AM
Last time there was a proctor associated with the defensive backfield, we lost three straight to Miami. I don't want to lose to miami.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2008, 10:56 AM
PROCTOR!http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/14/Lance_Kinsey.jpg/300px-Lance_Kinsey.jpg

Mad Dog Madsen
8/7/2008, 11:04 AM
I like this move. I think Proctor will be a stud. I've had a good feeling about this kid since we we're recruiting him.

Paperclip
8/7/2008, 11:06 AM
Can we not use the word 'bust' when referring to our DBs? Thanks.

RedstickSooner
8/7/2008, 11:26 AM
It's obviously too soon to be sure how good Proctor is, but if he turns out to be as good as we're now all hoping he is, he'll be yet another example of how flawed recruiting rankings are.

Best of luck to him. Hope he knocks some people silly out there this season -- and for the next three :)

picasso
8/7/2008, 03:14 PM
it doesn't really matter until we get into a few games. I'm quite sure it will be moved around a bit more. From reading what Stoops said though, he really likes Proctor.

on a side, after watching the practice vids on Soonersports, I can tell Murray is still limping a bit.

JLEW1818
8/7/2008, 03:17 PM
ahh I Want Franks!

Partial Qualifier
8/7/2008, 03:20 PM
Can we not use the word 'bust' when referring to our DBs? Thanks.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

JLEW1818
8/7/2008, 03:26 PM
Franks looked good in the spring game, but let's not forget he had problems biting on the run against WVU. You can have all the speed in the world, but it takes patience he may not have yet to keep dynamic runners in front of you and make the play on them.

I seriously doubt he warms the bench all year, though. It just means we have a nice backup in the event the secondary succs coming out of the gate like it did in 2006 or we get an injury back there. We've got some nice, fit athletes in the secondary, it's just a matter of getting them in there and experienced. You cannot afford to have a project player in the BIG 12 on defense this year... the offenses will toy around with you.

Franks was just a freshman, in the biggest game of the year. I'd say the entire D stunk not just him. Hopefully he will be getting some punt returns this year, but I see him starting over Jackson by year end, although Jackson does have another year under his belt.

So year wise the secondary is looking at
Nic Harris - SR
L. Holmes- SR
Procter - RFR
Jackson - JR

Still could be some changes.

htownsooner7
8/8/2008, 06:32 PM
To be honest, I'm scared about this. Looks like we have some problems. Proctor was not even a DB before OU and has never played a down of college football. The only comforting thought is that we haven't been good the last few years in this spot anyway. Nonetheless, we had better shore this up or we will have issues defending the whorns, tech, or anyone else with a good passing game.

soonerfan28
8/9/2008, 07:55 PM
ahh I Want Franks!
When I heard I was curious how you would take the news.

Collier11
8/9/2008, 08:16 PM
ahh I Want Franks!

this is starting to border on unhealthy, you arent gonna have your gf much longer...just a prediction :D

goingoneight
8/9/2008, 11:44 PM
Franks was just a freshman, in the biggest game of the year. I'd say the entire D stunk not just him. Hopefully he will be getting some punt returns this year, but I see him starting over Jackson by year end, although Jackson does have another year under his belt.

So year wise the secondary is looking at
Nic Harris - SR
L. Holmes- SR
Procter - RFR
Jackson - JR

Still could be some changes.

I don't dispute anything you're saying... I'm just pointing out that Franks may not be fully there yet. Like, say... OUr QB situation last year. Halzle was the only guy, but had limited experience, and a younger guy came in and was an absolute stud. Hopefully we have another awesoem redshirt freshman named 'Sam' this year.

Franks is a speedy guy who has good hips and change of direction, I see that working out well for us... maybe that allows him to get LOTS of playing time, even though he may not be the main man... ala Jermaine Gresham last year. I guess what I'm saying is may the best man win, but we love solid depth here at OU.

Big John
8/10/2008, 05:59 PM
To be honest, I'm scared about this. Looks like we have some problems. Proctor was not even a DB before OU and has never played a down of college football. The only comforting thought is that we haven't been good the last few years in this spot anyway. Nonetheless, we had better shore this up or we will have issues defending the whorns, tech, or anyone else with a good passing game.

On paper it seems real scary to have a freshman back at safety, but you have to take into consideration that the coaching staff is so impressed with him that they bumped a pretty good player in Franks out of the starting lineup. They must really have confidence in Proctor in that case which makes me feel better about it.

MojoRisen
8/10/2008, 06:48 PM
I saw an Auston English interview and Proctor was the one he talked about when asked who had the best spring on Defense.

If it is an all around upgrade in the secondary you have to go for it. That gets the 4 best on the field at the same time.

JLEW1818
8/10/2008, 08:24 PM
Oh I totally agree. I'm a big Franks fan. But I'm a bigger Sooner fan. What ever makes our Secondary the best I'll support!

Collier the girlfriend was a little fishy at first about my obsession for Franks. It seems she has jumped on the Austin English bus. I told her that's a good guy to pick.

Will Franks be the punt returner ??

A lot of people are saying Iggy will not be the kickoff return man, I figured he did bad *** last year, I'm sure he will be back there again??

GoOwls
8/10/2008, 10:14 PM
It seems she has jumped on the Austin English bus.

Yikes! I guess turnaround is fair play... Does that **** you off, or are you a "WooHoo! My wife did Kiss!" kinda guy?

JLEW1818
8/10/2008, 10:18 PM
As long as he kills Chase Daniel/colt I'm cool.

htownsooner7
8/11/2008, 04:04 PM
Sounds like Proctor got banged up in the scrimmage and they had to do a lot of shuffling.

CatfishSooner
8/11/2008, 04:37 PM
Sounds like Proctor got banged up in the scrimmage and they had to do a lot of shuffling.

serious? link..?

cvsooner
8/11/2008, 05:22 PM
Did Sam (Proctor) pick up where he left off during the spring? (http://www.ouinsider.com/news/story.php?article=1695)

Bobby Jack Wright: Sam had a pretty good scrimmage today until he kind of got whacked in the head and went cuckoo for a while. So, they had to get him out and I don’t know how he is right now. We’ll have to see how he is tomorrow. Brett Bowers came in and replaced him, and we played Nic Harris in there as well. We were fine when that happened, but you sure don’t like to see it happen. But, that is part of football. You’re going to lose some guys. You always hope that it doesn’t happen. If it does, you hope that it’s minor. And I think it is. I think he’ll be fine in a few days. But he did take a little lick and we had to let him rest for a little while.

JLEW1818
8/11/2008, 05:26 PM
I love every sooner

DOMINIQUE FRANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

idc what position it is, I hope he starts somewhere.

southbeltdolphins
8/14/2008, 10:02 PM
It is funny how people always judge when you really don't know have facts. Are you sure Proctor never played any DB. Well i guess none of that matters now cause he on the field as strong safety! He will make an impact!www.southbeltdolphins.com

KingDavid
8/14/2008, 10:59 PM
Looks like Joseph Ibiloye got worked in at Free Safety with the ones (with Harris going to SS) after Proctor left the scrimmage. That doesn't speak too highly about Franks being even in the top 6 best defensive backs to have on the field. I would have expected them to move Lendy to safety and bring in Franks at CB to work with the ones.

It's great that we have that much talent at the safety position . . . but man, makes me wonder about the depth at CB. This may sound crazy, but I wonder if it might be good for Broyles (or maybe even Murray?) to get some reps at CB just in case . . .

pappy
8/14/2008, 11:05 PM
Looks like Joseph Ibiloye got worked in at Free Safety with the ones (with Harris going to SS) after Proctor left the scrimmage. That doesn't speak too highly about Franks being even in the top 6 best defensive backs to have on the field. I would have expected them to move Lendy to safety and bring in Franks at CB to work with the ones.

It's great that we have that much talent at the safety position . . . but man, makes me wonder about the depth at CB. This may sound crazy, but I wonder if it might be good for Broyles (or maybe even Murray?) to get some reps at CB just in case . . .

or mossis madu I think he was an allstate cb in high school I could be wrong about that though. I heard rumors before spring ball that he was going to move to cb (like dj wolfe) but that obviously hasn't happened. It may be because of the lack of rb depth in the spring that he didn't make the switch then too though. from what we're hearing about broyles being like clayton I want him to stay at wr and I definately want murray to stay at rb and see no action on onside kick coverage.

Sooner_09
8/15/2008, 10:50 AM
Proctor is back to 2nd string with Homes moving back to FS and Franks now starting CB. Thoughts?

JLEW1818
8/15/2008, 11:38 AM
Proctor is back to 2nd string with Homes moving back to FS and Franks now starting CB. Thoughts?

ummmm I think I called that??? haha. IDC. I just hope we have the best 4 guys out there.

JLEW1818
8/15/2008, 11:42 AM
Depth Chart updated.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/football-depth-chart.html

Granger still second team?? .... ?

Scott D
8/15/2008, 11:54 AM
a DT being second string doesn't mean much...1 he's still in trouble w/ coaches, 2 we rotate the tackles a lot.

JLEW1818
8/15/2008, 11:56 AM
a DT being second string doesn't mean much...1 he's still in trouble w/ coaches, 2 we rotate the tackles a lot.

Oh i c. Thanks for the input.

MiccoMacey
8/15/2008, 12:45 PM
Depth Chart updated.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/football-depth-chart.html

1) Not one true freshman listed in the two-deep. Probably not uncommon, but you'd think maybe possibly one or two of our studs would crack the two-deep somewhere.

2) We have 5 seniors starting on the OLine, which are the only five seniors listed. Which doesn''t bode well for 2009 (shades of 2005).

However, we only have two juniors listed as well so 2010 and 2011 we should rock at OLine.

JLEW1818
8/15/2008, 06:13 PM
Ya I think our O-line will better in 09 then it was in 05. Got some good recruits and backups that have played a ton, "Trent Williams."

pappy
8/15/2008, 08:34 PM
did anybody else look at the "updated" depth chart and think is this really "updated?" The reason I ask is because we keep hearing about balogun being one of the top 3 lb's and he's not listed on the 2 deep. it looks a lot like the original depth chart to me.

soonerfan28
8/17/2008, 01:15 PM
Our O-line will be much better in 2009 then it was in 2005. We will have Brian Simmons and Trent Williams who have started some games in there careers and Jason Hannan and Ben Habern will be one of the best battles at center that we've seen in a few years. I think we will be fine next year and we also have Good who is going to be the a great guard at OU.

JLEW1818
8/17/2008, 01:30 PM
Our O-line will be much better in 2009 then it was in 2005. We will have Brian Simmons and Trent Williams who have started some games in there careers and Jason Hannan and Ben Habern will be one of the best battles at center that we've seen in a few years. I think we will be fine next year and we also have Good who is going to be the a great guard at OU.

Ya I think Good is going to be a great player, and a great young man.

NCSooner18
8/17/2008, 01:37 PM
I keep reading that with Box's injury, Balogun(sp?) is ready to step in. Yet he isn't even on the2 deep. ???

soonerfan28
8/17/2008, 02:52 PM
I keep reading that with Box's injury, Balogun(sp?) is ready to step in. Yet he isn't even on the2 deep. ???

Yea, that seemed a little strange to me also. I think we won't really know until the second game. I think we are going to see like 30 people play on the 30th. They'll have a better feel for gameday after the 30th. I still think it was ingenius to schedule a patsy for the first game even though it was a situation that was forced.

goingoneight
8/17/2008, 04:21 PM
I love every sooner

DOMINIQUE FRANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

idc what position it is, I hope he starts somewhere.

Dominique Franks, 1st Team All-American Left Tackle!!! :D

goingoneight
8/17/2008, 04:26 PM
To be fait to Franks, Box and everyone else... Auston English was a HS running back who we made an AA candidate at DE, Sam Bradford's numbers at the high school level were considered laughable among OUr rivals, and he had the best QB rating in CFB as a freshman, 7th best all time at OU last year. DeMarco Murray was considered by many as a better potential DB, and look what he did last year.
I think OUr staff does an amazing job of evaluating and getting the most out of who and what they recruit.

Shoot, for all we know, Jonathan Nelson may end up showing them all up and Lamont Robinson may be the next Curtis Lofton.

JLEW1818
8/17/2008, 05:07 PM
Dominique Franks, 1st Team All-American Left Tackle!!! :D

He could do it!!!!