PDA

View Full Version : SPORTS ILLUSTRATED REGIONAL COVER

okcusooner
8/6/2008, 05:59 PM
It was very disappointing to open my mailbox and see the SI choice for the regional cover of the college football preview issue; Missouri's Chase Daniel, Jeremy Maclin, and Sean Weatherspoon.

All three are fine players and, sure, Missouri will probably do well this year. But OU is the back-to-back defending champ and has beaten Missouri the last three times they've met (once in Mizzou and once at a neutral site).

Though Mizzou is ranked 4th in the SI poll, OU should be considered the team to beat in Big XII until further notice. The Sooners are more deserving of the cover.

tommieharris91
8/6/2008, 06:00 PM
Well, now it's official. They will finish the regular season 8-4, and one of them will tear their ACL.

Partial Qualifier
8/6/2008, 06:57 PM
It was very disappointing to open my mailbox and see the SI choice for the regional cover of the college football preview issue......The Sooners are more deserving of the cover.

But do we really want the SI cover?

AZSOONER
8/6/2008, 07:02 PM
NO!!!!! It's bad enough we had corso saying we were the #1 team in the nation last year. Enough with the bad mojo.

goingoneight
8/6/2008, 07:49 PM
We've dug our own grave with the losses in the BCS. In the big picture... we're still getting there and we're still talented enough to win it all, but the media puts all the entire season's stock into what happens in the bowl games. That's why they're media, not coaches. Remember... Oklahoma, top to bottom was clearly the better team and proved it by dominating Missouri twice last year. But the Fiesta Bowl was our ill fate. Truth is, if Missouri and WVU did, in fact play for the MNC... logic (there's a crazy thing to use) says WVU would have absolutely raped Missouri if they couldn't handle OU.

Let's see here... say Sam Bradford plays the Tech game in full. I think we all saw the team got off to a great start until his concussion; OU and Fizzou finish the season with the same record. Okay... so Sam's concussion is an excuse... like I buy that, but whatever... how well does Missouri do without Chase Daniel? Can you say... "Kansas: BIG 12 North Champs, Colorado BIG 12 North runner-up?" Can you say... "Columbia for the holidays?"

Missouri does not and will not scare me. They're a team that's living off of an offense beating up on crappy defenses. Elite-level teams have shut them down and will continue to do so.

Dan Thompson
8/6/2008, 07:50 PM
Good, it will give the team something else to shoot for.

CarolinaSoonerFan
8/6/2008, 07:54 PM
Let them have the cover....and choke on it!!!

goingoneight
8/6/2008, 07:56 PM
Me... I like the February SI cover better, myself.

misplaced_sooner
8/6/2008, 08:00 PM
Probably for the best they didn't get on the cover. The team needs to play as if they have something to prove.

Good read:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/specials/preview/2008/scouting/oklahoma.html

VA Sooner
8/6/2008, 08:00 PM
I'd prefer SI to rank us lower... start small, aim high and surprise Mizzou like last year with punishing defense. I think the kids are "hungry" this year.

This off-season wait is agonizing.

badger
8/6/2008, 10:28 PM
We have had lots of SI covers lately in preseason! Tommie... Allen Patrick... they have other readership, yknow?

Besides, even a lifelong diehard Packer fan gets sick of hearing about Favre nonstop, if ya know what I mean.

KingBarry
8/7/2008, 10:24 AM
What is the "region"? I assume it's roughly the Big XII area. OK, within that region, Oklahoma and Texas are clearly the front runners year-in and year-out. Nebraska has been a front-runner and will be again someday, and A&M will occassionally rise to the surface.

Mizzou, on the other hand, is thrilled to break .500.

If they've got a good team this year, SI SHOULD highlight them, cuz Mizzou is not going to catch any more sunlight for years to come.

In short, let Mizzou have their fun while they can. Let's shoot to make SI's POST-season cover.

cjames317
8/7/2008, 06:22 PM
Compare the Mizzou cover shot with the other covers (SC, Ohio State, Florida, Georgia). Why is Chase sittin on his arse while all the other QBs are standing tall?

badger
8/7/2008, 06:27 PM
Compare the Mizzou cover shot with the other covers (SC, Ohio State, Florida, Georgia). Why is Chase sittin on his arse while all the other QBs are standing tall?

Pouting position :D

Mizzou is a huge market, remember. A cover for them equals huge sales of magazines.

sooner2b09
8/7/2008, 06:28 PM

Digging for gold gets exhausting

bixby28
8/7/2008, 07:18 PM
They are the flavor of the month. Give it a few weeks...

Boof the cat :)