PDA

View Full Version : Boone Pickens coming to McAlester...

stoops the eternal pimp
8/6/2008, 05:05 PM
For a town hall meeting to sell his Pickens Plan...Pickens in McAlester (http://www.mcalesternews.com/homepage/local_story_219131922.html?keyword=leadpicturestor y)

2 questions...

1. Why here? and
2. What question should I ask him besides " Why would you spend money on that ghey sweater you wore to the OU-osu game a couple of years ago?"

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/6/2008, 05:07 PM
'Did you buy them those bracelets?'

King Crimson
8/6/2008, 05:13 PM
Johnny Cash=Folsom Prison?

badger
8/6/2008, 05:19 PM
Maybe we should be asking why he cares so much about selling his Boone plan to Oklahoma when he ha Pickens ranch in Texas, along with water rights, a private jet, etc. etc.

soonerscuba
8/6/2008, 05:32 PM
Why should we trust a man with an energy policy whose death pool at OSU ROI is at best an 8 win season? Comments?

Always end a question with "comments?" it makes you look classy.

Viking Kitten
8/6/2008, 05:53 PM
Comments?

Does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe?

King Crimson
8/6/2008, 05:55 PM
"thoughts" is better than "comments"...at least it implies something. "comments" is more like, "the ketchup dispenser was empty".

Mixer!
8/6/2008, 06:20 PM
Hey, they'd burn the place down over an 8 win season!

Okla-homey
8/6/2008, 07:01 PM
I'd trust him more if he included nuclear in his scheme too.

Mjcpr
8/6/2008, 07:15 PM
Is he ****ting windmills yet since oil is falling?

mdklatt
8/6/2008, 07:35 PM
I'd trust him more if he included nuclear in his scheme too.

The theoretical construction costs for nuclear power are similar to wind, around $1.50/watt. That's where the similarity ends. There are no fuel costs for wind, I can't imagine that wind isn't way ahead in M&O costs, and then there's the minor little issue of nuclear waste.

And that's the theoretical construction cost for nuclear.

http://www.21stcenturysciencetech.com/articles/spring01/nuclear_power.html

Nuclear power plants that should have cost between $500 million and $1 billion, had their final costs escalate up to 10 times that amount, over the course of construction, thanks to unreasonable regulations by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

Damn that Nuclear Regulatory Commission, trying to regulate nuclear stuff!

We're not anywhere close to being able to use wind or solar as base load, so nuclear is probably going to have to be part of the mix for now, but let's not delude ourselves into thinking that it's cheap.

Boomerbrad
8/7/2008, 05:53 PM
I went to his first townhall meeting here in Topeka about a week ago. Pretty interesting. He said he supports anything American (drillin, wind, natural gas, nuke etc.), to get us off foreign oil. But his "plan" focuses on Wind, which then free up natural gas (NG) to be used in cars. The bulk of the meeting focused on NG. It is a band-aid, but as he is suggesting, will get us away from foreign oil until an alternative (possibly renewable) source can be found.

Sooner in Tampa
8/8/2008, 05:47 AM
Here is some info that you may find interesting.

Pretty dirty pool as far as I am concerned.

Simply put, Pickens’ pitch is “embrace wind power to help break our ‘addiction’ to foreign oil.” There is, however, another intriguing component to Pickens’ plan that goes unmentioned in his TV commercials, media interviews and web site—water rights, which he owns more of than any other American.
Pickens hopes that his recent $100 million investment in 200,000 acres worth of groundwater rights in Roberts County, Texas, located over the Ogallala Aquifer, will earn him $1 billion. But there’s more to earning such a profit than simply acquiring the water. Rights-of-way must be purchased to install pipelines, and opposition from anti-development environmental groups must be overcome. Here’s where it gets interesting, according to information compiled by the Water Research Group, a small grassroots group focusing on local water issues in Texas.
Purchasing rights-of-way is often expensive and time-consuming—and what if landowners won’t sell? While private entities may be frustrated, governments can exercise eminent domain to compel sales. This is Pickens’ route of choice. But wait, you say, Pickens is not a government entity. How can he use eminent domain? Are you sitting down?
At Pickens’ behest, the Texas legislature changed state law to allow the two residents of an 8-acre parcel of land in Roberts County to vote to create a municipal water district, a government agency with eminent domain powers. Who were the voters? They were Pickens’ wife and the manager of Pickens’ nearby ranch. And who sits on the board of directors of this water district? They are the parcel’s three other non-resident landowners, all Pickens’ employees.

olevetonahill
8/8/2008, 05:48 AM
So hes a rus ? er aggy ?
:pop:

badger
8/8/2008, 08:02 AM
If he's going to take call-in questions, somebody should Rick Roll him.

OUDoc
8/8/2008, 08:17 AM
See if he'll buy you a stadium.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/8/2008, 08:36 AM
I m gonna start with asking him to buy me lunch and then the stadium

OUDoc
8/8/2008, 08:39 AM
Maybe he'd buy McAlester for you.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/8/2008, 08:41 AM
Boone Pickens and Gene Stipe doing a business deal together?....The s**t smell from that room would be astronomical

mdklatt
8/12/2008, 05:32 PM
It looks like I'm gonna be there tomorrow on offishul bidness...should I pull a Billy Sims?

yermom
8/12/2008, 06:07 PM
BOOMER!

lol