PDA

View Full Version : Zorn not too happy with Kelly

sooner518
8/6/2008, 02:43 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/05/AR2008080503035_pf.html

Zorn Tries To Whip Rookies Into Shape
Coach Scolds WRs For Poor Fitness

Washington Redskins Coach Jim Zorn chided Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas yesterday for their lack of conditioning and said he anticipates the injured rookie wide receivers will have a hard time having an impact on the offense early this season.

Kelly, who has hamstring and knee injuries, and Thomas, who has a hamstring injury, were hurt early in training camp and are likely weeks from a full return. Both were selected in the second round of the NFL draft in April with hopes of immediately diversifying Washington's attack.

Kelly, 21, underwent arthroscopic surgery Monday to remove floating particles from his left knee, and Zorn said the early prognosis of a return in two weeks was "ambitious." Thomas, 21, was able to take part in limited drills in practice yesterday but is unlikely to be able to practice fully until next week at the earliest.

Neither, Zorn said, was able at the start of training camp to pass the team's conditioning test requiring players to complete a series of sprints within a certain time frame. That lack of preparation could lead to their muscles breaking down so quickly, he said. Players are required to run 12 25-yard dashes within a certain time (less than a minute for wide receivers), then rest for 60 seconds before repeating the 12 dashes.

"If you can't pass that physical test that we give, then something's not right," Zorn said. "So I've been kind of jabbing at them with that. . . . I wish I could take the test just to show everybody that I was in good shape. It's sort of a pride issue."

Zorn hinted that the satisfaction of being high draft picks may have contributed to the players' lack of conditioning, but said he did not know for sure.

"He wasn't necessarily in condition to go through a training camp like this," Zorn said of Kelly. "He really wasn't. They'll have to reevaluate their offseason program as young rookies."

Given their prolonged absences and the problems many young wide receivers have adapting to the West Coast offense and the NFL in general, Zorn said they may not be able to do much in the basic offense at the start of the season. They are falling behind other wide receivers; veteran James Thrash is putting a stranglehold on the No. 3 spot behind starters Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El.

"I've had this happen in other places I've coached, and it's very difficult," Zorn said of young wide receivers missing training camp time. "When you interview them, 'It's going to be easy.' They're going to walk around and go: 'This is nothing. I'll get this right away.'

"But once they get out there and they really see what they have to do and how exact they have to be and the speed at which they have to play and the intensity -- then I think they'll see. Now, can we get them in and work them in? Yes. Will they get up to speed? Yes. But this is valuable time."

Thomas, as Zorn predicted, minimized the impact of missing this much time. "As far as making an impact from the get-go, I don't look at that as a difficult thing to do," Thomas said.

Scouts from other NFL teams said they had concerns about both players being "brittle" or susceptible to injury. They said they believe that was part of the reason Kelly and Thomas slipped into the second round.

Thomas had one highly productive season at Michigan State before leaving as a junior, while Kelly battled injuries all offseason and had slow 40-yard dash times at Oklahoma. He also slid in the draft after coming out as a junior.

Zorn has been blunt from the onset about the challenge both faced trying to adapt to his offense from college, although both have talents that mesh with West Coast system.

Kelly injured his hamstring July 25 and also began experiencing soreness in his knee. He had surgery on his knee Monday and was not available to comment. Zorn said orthopedist James Andrews probably will evaluate him again in a few weeks before Kelly is cleared for full practice drills.

"The two-a-day practices, they were getting to him," Zorn said.

Thomas hurt his hamstring making a catch July 24 -- he attributed the injury to failing to stretch properly when he initially felt the tightness -- and since has not taken part in team drills. He was on the field in the early potions of individual drills during yesterday's two sessions but spent the bulk of the time working with the trainers on his own. There is a chance he could be back for the third preseason game, Aug. 16.

"It was tough coming into the training camp right away," Thomas said. "It was an eye-opener. I definitely will be better prepared next year." Thomas said there was a lot being "thrown at" rookies at the time of the conditioning test but conceded that's "no excuse, it's something we should have passed."

Thomas and Kelly aimed to compete for the job as the third wide receiver but have not pushed the veterans.

Thrash, an intelligent player who is supremely conditioned and can play every wide receiver position, quickly wowed this coaching staff and appears poised to play more than he did in four years under Joe Gibbs.

"When a new coaching staff comes in you never quite know how you're going to fit in the new offense," Thrash said. "But I've always taken the same approach -- even with the same coaching staff -- and I just do the best I can to open his eyes and say, "Hey, where do you need me?' "

With Thomas and Kelly out for weeks, wide receivers such as Billy McMullen, Maurice Mann and Burl Toler are getting the chance. The onus will be on Kelly and Thomas to improve with haste once they can practice.

"My hope is that the younger guys like Malcolm and Devin will actually hang around and just sort of rub up right against" Thrash, Zorn said, "and then all that stuff will just ooze onto them, because he brings a lot to the table."

badger
8/6/2008, 02:46 PM
No disrespect to MK, but his training regime before the draft hurt his draft stock and now his training regime with his NFL team is hurting his future professional career.

Come ON, MK. This is the pros, not college. Putting on weight before the 40 yard dash slowed you down and dropped you out of the first round. Slacking off now is NOT a good way to begin at a new team.

SoonerStormchaser
8/6/2008, 02:49 PM
Once again I repeat my statement from last January...MK WAS AN IDIOT FOR COMING OUT EARLY!

OUMallen
8/6/2008, 02:51 PM
I agree with Bajj.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/6/2008, 03:30 PM
I disagree with SSC

The Maestro
8/6/2008, 03:30 PM
I am still completely miffed by OU players and their injuries in the NFL of late. Strange, but the trend is starting to look ugly.

badger
8/6/2008, 03:33 PM
Once again I repeat my statement from last January...MK WAS AN IDIOT FOR COMING OUT EARLY!

I've probably said it at least three times before, but the NFL probably seems like a huge vacation to college players... PAID vacation. No more going to classes, no more excessive mandatory off-season workouts... and MONEY! You can finally accept MONEY without ending up at Sam Houston State!

Thus, MK was probably tired - tired of making insane catches for 80,000+ crowds but not getting more than a few days to enjoy it before waking up at 5 a.m. to practice before a full day of classes followed by more practice and have it continue through the week - tired of having people treat him like a kiddo student-athlete and not a "man" (to quote Gundy) - tired of having to answer to coaches who can bench him or play him to their content without having any leverage.

Looking to the NFL, players can have huge egos, especially receivers! Oh, and the money... you don't read about "after taxes," you just read about "SIGNING BONUS" in the millions. Coaches have less control and are less controlling. VACATION... but not just any vacation, PAID vacation.

So, you could say that MK came out a year early, but I don't think he did. He was tired of the hassles that go with college ball and wanted his paid vacation in the NFL. Seeing how his post-OU time has gone, he seems to have taken this "vacation" to heart. How exactly does a speedy guy like MK who makes insane catches and hardly misses a beat have such a slow 40 time, gain a few pounds, drop a few rounds and miss the start of preseason?!

Then again, he missed the Fiesta Bowl. I'm not upset with MK, I'm just kind of disappointed on how his pro days have turned out. :(

JLEW1818
8/6/2008, 03:42 PM
Ya he wanted the money, good for him. However, probably not a very good long term investment. Should have finished his last year up.

Animal Mother
8/6/2008, 03:53 PM
I've probably said it at least three times before, but the NFL probably seems like a huge vacation to college players... PAID vacation. No more going to classes, no more excessive mandatory off-season workouts... and MONEY! You can finally accept MONEY without ending up at Sam Houston State!

Thus, MK was probably tired - tired of making insane catches for 80,000+ crowds but not getting more than a few days to enjoy it before waking up at 5 a.m. to practice before a full day of classes followed by more practice and have it continue through the week - tired of having people treat him like a kiddo student-athlete and not a "man" (to quote Gundy) - tired of having to answer to coaches who can bench him or play him to their content without having any leverage.

Looking to the NFL, players can have huge egos, especially receivers! Oh, and the money... you don't read about "after taxes," you just read about "SIGNING BONUS" in the millions. Coaches have less control and are less controlling. VACATION... but not just any vacation, PAID vacation.

So, you could say that MK came out a year early, but I don't think he did. He was tired of the hassles that go with college ball and wanted his paid vacation in the NFL. Seeing how his post-OU time has gone, he seems to have taken this "vacation" to heart. How exactly does a speedy guy like MK who makes insane catches and hardly misses a beat have such a slow 40 time, gain a few pounds, drop a few rounds and miss the start of preseason?!

Then again, he missed the Fiesta Bowl. I'm not upset with MK, I'm just kind of disappointed on how his pro days have turned out. :(

"He knew the job was dangerous when he took it!"

Super Chicken

badger
8/6/2008, 04:06 PM
He made the right decision for himself, because I do not think that a senior MK back at OU would have been very happy. If, as he claimed in his bitter interview following the turfy 40 yard dash, he had played in the Fiesta Bowl and gotten reinjured and not be able to go to the NFL after his junior year, but return to OU, his bitterness wouldn't have been at his NFL tryout on OU pro day. Rather, it would have been with the OU football team in the 2008 season. MK was already bitter about the coaches before the Fiesta Bowl, so why would the OU team benefit from him staying? How would MK benefit from staying?

MK didn't want to be in Norman, so he made the best decision for himself.

olevetonahill
8/6/2008, 06:10 PM
Baj your so young .
How you get so smart ?:cool:

MI Sooner
8/6/2008, 06:36 PM
v q q vqaZc V

birddog
8/6/2008, 06:36 PM
MK didn't want to be in Norman, so he made the best decision for himself.

i agree with everything if he had been playing in stoolwater.

yes, mk doesn't seem to have a tremendous work ethic but he's never had to with his talent. he could pretty much show up on gameday and make circus catches.

alot of athletes make up for lack of talent by outworking everybody. if mk can get fit and buy into the system in washington, he'll be fine because he has more talent than most everybody. there are very few athletes that have the best talent and the best work ethic. those guys become hall-of-famers.

Scott D
8/6/2008, 06:42 PM
As I look at it as, he's more like his idol as each day passes. I'm glad he left early.

olevetonahill
8/6/2008, 06:45 PM
As I look at it as, he's more like his idol as each day passes. I'm glad he left early.

Yup . If a Kid is ready to Move on . let him Go and wish him luck .

goingoneight
8/6/2008, 07:33 PM
Uh... we knew back in December his knee was going to be a problem until he had an operation. Question is with his signing on for bigger bucks... why the HELL is he just now getting his knee scoped?

r5TPsooner
8/6/2008, 07:39 PM
I don't know about the rest of you but I'm stunned about the latest developments regarding MK.

I say good riddance.

Dan Thompson
8/6/2008, 07:42 PM
I know this will not be popular with some, but I thought MK slacked on his blocking assignments. He did a great job catching the ball, but I was not impressed with his effort when he did not get the ball.

CarolinaSoonerFan
8/6/2008, 07:47 PM
Easy....longer vacation....and no 40's to run.

Uh... we knew back in December his knee was going to be a problem until he had an operation. Question is with his signing on for bigger bucks... why the HELL is he just now getting his knee scoped?

Dio
8/6/2008, 09:31 PM
Neither, Zorn said, was able at the start of training camp to pass the team's conditioning test requiring players to complete a series of sprints within a certain time frame.

Yeah, but did he tell MK ahead of time what kind of turf he'd be running on?