PDA

View Full Version : CNNSI.com misleading link title...

colleyvillesooner
8/6/2008, 11:29 AM
Stoops will skip autograph session for OU fans

They couldn't add "To attend funeral"?

I don't know why little stuff like this tweaks me, but anyone that just glances at that, says "Dick" and moves on.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/08/05/bc.fbc.stoops.meettheso.ap/index.html

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -- Fans hoping to get an autograph from Oklahoma football coach Bob Stoops at the "Meet the Sooners" day Wednesday will have to wait a little longer.

Stoops is planning to skip the event for autograph seekers so he can attend a memorial service for former New York Yankees outfielder and broadcaster Bobby Murcer.

Stoops instead plans to sign autographs for about two hours following a Friday morning practice that is open to the public.

That practice is scheduled to run from 9 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. on the rugby fields east of the Lloyd Noble Center basketball arena.

Other Sooners coaches and players are still expected to go through the fan appreciation day Wednesday morning.

tommieharris91
8/6/2008, 11:40 AM
:les:MEDIA BIAS!!!

stoops the eternal pimp
8/6/2008, 11:41 AM
it says it on other sites too that way...what a jerk~!

trey
8/6/2008, 12:01 PM
and why should we care if someone thinks bob is a dick because they read a headline?

colleyvillesooner
8/6/2008, 12:27 PM
Chill.

I don't care, it was just an observation about a misleading title.

soonerboomer93
8/6/2008, 12:28 PM
probably the way the AP released it if it states that way on the other sites.

Boomer.....
8/6/2008, 01:06 PM
Almost as bad as posters who don't search the forum to see if something similar has been posted.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117508

;)

badger
8/6/2008, 01:23 PM
Headlines are all about alliteration. If his name was Froops instead of Stoops, it would be "Froops will attend funeral, not autograph session" instead of "Stoops to skip..."

It's not a knock on Stoops, just his name :)

The Maestro
8/6/2008, 01:28 PM
Well, why the heck people are so fascinated by having someone write their name on a piece of paper is beyond me. I had a friend bump into Barry Sanders at an airport restaurant one time. Barry came up and asked if the seat was taken as he was sitting there by himself. He was shocked but let Barry sit there. When he asked Barry for an autograph, Barry said, "Wouldn't you rather just tell people you got to sit and chat with Barry Sanders instead of me writing my name on a napkin that anyone could have written on?" He thought about it and agreed.

Having said that, I am sure Bob will sleep well tonight and not worry about it, but it is misleading to headline it that way.

badger
8/6/2008, 01:32 PM
When he asked Barry for an autograph, Barry said, "Wouldn't you rather just tell people you got to sit and chat with Barry Sanders instead of me writing my name on a napkin that anyone could have written on?" He thought about it and agreed.

Further proof that Barry Sanders never belonged at Oklahoma State, but OSU screwed him out of the recruitment that he deserved. Then again, another Barry I know liked to play tricks on other teams to get an edge :D

TexasLidig8r
8/6/2008, 01:40 PM
The only thing more idiotic than autographs is the over the top idiotic nicknames given to even the most innocuous of athletes... D-ham, T-ham, Chuch, F Rod, K Rod A Rod J Rod L Rod.. whatever...

"Ooh ooh... I'm 50 year old man.. please sign your name to this piece of paper! Oooh ooh!...

P.A.S.S.S.
(People Are So Stupid Sometimes)

colleyvillesooner
8/6/2008, 02:17 PM
Almost as bad as posters who don't search the forum to see if something similar has been posted.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117508

;)

That's one's about him not going. Mine's about the article title.

Don't even get me started on the search feature. It's nice if you need to know if something was posted in the last few months or 2006.

Dan Thompson
8/6/2008, 07:59 PM
Please remember two things about the media

1. They have to fill the pages.

2. The more letters, e-mails, phone calls the better.

goingoneight
8/6/2008, 08:11 PM
I have an autographed game ball from the 2001 Orange Bowl... does that make me an *** or a lucky sumbitch? Without an autograph everyone just sees a cool-looking Nike ball and asks where I bought it from.

Now a napkin? That's plumb retarded as buying a pice of moldy grilled cheese your favorite singer at for lunch three weeks ago.

colleyvillesooner
8/6/2008, 08:27 PM
The only thing more idiotic than autographs is the over the top idiotic nicknames given to even the most innocuous of athletes... D-ham, T-ham, Chuch, F Rod, K Rod A Rod J Rod L Rod.. whatever...

"Ooh ooh... I'm 50 year old man.. please sign your name to this piece of paper! Oooh ooh!...

P.A.S.S.S.
(People Are So Stupid Sometimes)

You forgot VY. ;)