PDA

View Full Version : Will the real #4 please stand up?

KingDavid
8/5/2008, 11:37 PM
What's the deal with Corey Wilson and Jameel Owens sharing the same number while playing the same position? It would be one thing if Wilson were a senior and Owens were a sure bet to redshirt . . . but this is just plain wierd.

NormanPride
8/6/2008, 10:26 AM
It should go to Wilson. Not only is he the senior member, but it was his brother's number.

The_Red_Patriot
8/6/2008, 10:28 AM
Plus Corey's dad is cool as hell.

Mad Dog Madsen
8/6/2008, 10:50 AM
I think Jameel will see the field first tho. So maybe he should have it?

Dan Thompson
8/6/2008, 10:56 AM
The coach's poll has OU as #4, but SI has Missouri as #4.

sooner59
8/6/2008, 11:02 AM
The coach's poll has OU as #4, but SI has Missouri as #4.

I say we challenge them to a cage match.

starclassic tama
8/6/2008, 01:28 PM
or just a football game.

badger
8/6/2008, 01:34 PM
Um, derp derp Adrian Peterson shared his number too...

Ground_Attack
8/6/2008, 01:46 PM
with another at the same position?

mizzOUstu702
8/6/2008, 01:58 PM
Let's see...

#28s:
-Adrian Peterson RB
-Antonio Perkins CB
vs.
#4s:
-Corey Wilson WR
-Jameel Owens WR

Which one would have the bigger conflict of interest...Or was your "derp derp" intended to make it sarcastic?

meoveryouxinfinity
8/6/2008, 03:10 PM
Didn't someone post on here that Owens was promised #4? I think Wilson should have it.

I don't see why it's such a big deal to Owens. It's just a number. Bradford went from #16 in high school to #14.

Hella Sideburns
8/6/2008, 03:13 PM
jameel was promised No. 4, but I don't know if it's something he requested or if it was just a perk they promised him to convince him to come to OU. From what I know of him I doubt it's something he's going to raise a fuss about either way.

JLEW1818
8/6/2008, 03:14 PM
Let's see...

#28s:
-Adrian Peterson RB
-Antonio Perkins CB
vs.
#4s:
-Corey Wilson WR
-Jameel Owens WR

Which one would have the bigger conflict of interest...Or was your "derp derp" intended to make it sarcastic?

haha nice

goingoneight
8/6/2008, 08:03 PM
Didn't someone post on here that Owens was promised #4? I think Wilson should have it.

I don't see why it's such a big deal to Owens. It's just a number. Bradford went from #16 in high school to #14.

It's called recruiting. If the guy wanted a specific number and it kept him from drowning in 6-6-land up north... I'm pretty sure the coaches had no problem.

Remember Malcom Kelly and Manuel Johnson didn't change numbers until late in the fall, either.

VA Sooner
8/6/2008, 08:07 PM
I have to wonder if football players are as superstitious about their numbers as baseball players.

birddog
8/6/2008, 08:42 PM
I have to wonder if football players are as superstitious about their numbers as baseball players.

yes, no question about it, in any sport.

KingDavid
8/6/2008, 09:47 PM
From what I gather, then, the consensus is that we really don't know who is going to be #4 this year, at least on the offensive side of the ball?

Question: is it legal to share the same number on the same side of the ball, if you're not in the game at the same time? In that case, I suppose it could work b/c I doubt they'd be on the field at the same time this year.

KingDavid
8/6/2008, 09:49 PM
yes, no question about it, in any sport.

I agree that all athletes tend to be superstitious about their numbers . . . but there's no way that ANY sport rivals baseball in terms of superstitious players.

SbOrOiNaEnR
8/6/2008, 10:21 PM
Question: is it legal to share the same number on the same side of the ball, if you're not in the game at the same time? In that case, I suppose it could work b/c I doubt they'd be on the field at the same time this year.

Answer:

c. No two players of the same team shall participate in the same down
wearing identical numbers (A.R. 1-4-2-II) [S23].
d. Markings in the vicinity of the numbers are not permitted (A.R. 1-4-2-
III) [S23].
PENALTY—Live-ball foul. Five yards from the previous spot [S19 or
S23].
e. Numbers shall not be changed during the game to deceive opponents
[S27].
PENALTY—Live-ball foul. 15 yards from the previous spot [S27].
Flagrant offenders shall be disqualified [S47].

Soooo....if I've interpreted this right, you could send in Wilson on 1st down, and Owens on 2nd down...in the exact same position, on the same series, and there wouldn't be a thing wrong with it except for probable confusion from the booth. Conclusion: Oregon's ball.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/Football_Rulesadc982b5-03fb-4e27-828c-c2d26b95e6c1.pdf

KingDavid
8/6/2008, 10:26 PM
Seems like section E could be open to a rules interpretation if OU was deemed to be attempting "deception" by using two receivers with the same number?

Not likely, but it might be a risk, I would think.

SbOrOiNaEnR
8/6/2008, 10:36 PM
Seems like section E could be open to a rules interpretation if OU was deemed to be attempting "deception" by using two receivers with the same number?

Not likely, but it might be a risk, I would think.

Perhaps, but that's where having the names on the back of your jerseys serves as your automatic "Get Out of Jail Free" card. 4 may = 4, but Owens =/= Wilson.

KingDavid
8/6/2008, 10:39 PM
Perhaps, but that's where having the names on the back of your jerseys serves as your automatic "Get Out of Jail Free" card. 4 may = 4, but Owens =/= Wilson.

true.