PDA

View Full Version : Un....****ing...believable...

Turd_Ferguson
8/5/2008, 05:05 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,397645,00.html (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,397645,00.html:mad:)

SHELBYVILLE, Tenn. — Workers at a Tyson Foods poultry processing plant in Tennessee have opted to trade a paid Labor Day holiday for the Muslim celebration of Eid al-Fitr.
A 5-year contract approved by members of the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union at the Shelbyville, Tenn., plant last November includes the change to accommodate Muslim workers.
"The negotiating committee made the holiday a top priority in contract talks," the union's Alabama and Mid-South Council Representative Randy Hadley said in a statement issued in June. "And we were able to get management to commit to it."
The change, which does not affect the company's 118 other plants, exchanges Labor Day for the Muslim holiday that marks the end of Ramadan. The new contract, negotiated last fall, also gives Muslim workers a prayer room.
"Eid al-Fitr is one of eight paid holidays for all team members covered by the contract, while Labor Day is not a paid holiday," Gary Mickelson, Tyson's media relations director, told the Shelbyville Times-Gazette.
But Tyson spokeswoman Libby Lawson told FOXNews.com that employees who are not a member of the union at that plant would still be eligible for Labor Day as a paid holiday.

The seven additional paid holidays are the employee's birthday, New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas, Mickelson said.
"Given the nature of our work, many, many, many times we have to work holidays anyway, and Labor Day is usually one of those holidays that our workers have to work," Lawson said. "And, of course, they are paid holiday pay when they have to work any holiday that is recognized at our facility."
Tyson officials said that approximately 250 of the plant's 1,200 employees are Somalis who entered the United States as political refugees. Most, if not all, are believed to be Muslim — among them, Abdillahi Jama.
"This new contract is good because it allows me to work on the second shift and still pray when I need to," Jama said in the union's press release. "It’s very important to us, and the Eid is one of our most sacred holidays. It shows how the union helps us."
Lawson said that the Shelbyville plant is one of a handful that have designated prayer areas that can be used by groups of all faiths.
News of the holiday change has prompted some anger on local Web message boards, with some writings urging readers to contact the AFL-CIO and boycott Tyson products.
The union's national president, Stuart Appelbaum, said it is the union's job "to stand up to win respect for every worker's right to practice their faith."
Tyson officials said the contract was agreed to by 80 percent of the union's 1,000 members at the plant.
This year Eid al-Fitr falls on Oct. 1.
:mad: (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,397645,00.html:mad:)

colleyvillesooner
8/5/2008, 05:07 PM
Link help

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,397645,00.html

Tyson officials said the contract was agreed to by 80 percent of the union's 1,000 members at the plant.

soonersn20xx
8/5/2008, 05:13 PM
This kind of blows my mind, when did the majority of the plant's workforce become muslim...........and in Tenn on top of it.

I don't like this, not a bit. The U.S. should stand up against these muslim requests like the Australians did. You want to live here, you conform to our society.

OUHOMER
8/5/2008, 05:14 PM
Umm , I think even Jimmy Hoffa would turn over in his grave if it weren't for the concrete

GrapevineSooner
8/5/2008, 05:15 PM
Can't say I have a problem with this.

And 20xx, you fail at sarcasm.

StoopTroup
8/5/2008, 05:19 PM
I expect theres a gonna be a lynchin'. :D ;)

Turd_Ferguson
8/5/2008, 05:20 PM
I expect theres a gonna be a lynchin'. :D ;)Maybe they should change it to beheadings.

soonersn20xx
8/5/2008, 05:22 PM
And 20xx, you fail at sarcasm.
Actually you fail at knowing how I really feel, just when you thought I was a libbo to hate..........I go conservative on a issue.

Ike
8/5/2008, 05:28 PM
I can't say I have a problem with it either. They exchange one paid holiday for another. If thats what the union wanted, and it doesn't cost the plant any extra, why not let em have it.

GrapevineSooner
8/5/2008, 05:32 PM
Actually you fail at knowing how I really feel

Fair enough. I stand corrected.

Just when you thought I was a libbo to hate..........I go conservative on a issue.

I don't hate liberals just as I don't hate social conservatives/christian fundamentalists. I just think they're wrong on certain issues.

And FWIW, this is a story where a private worker's union and their employer agreed to trade one paid holiday for another. The holidays in question are irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

If the union consisted of nothing but Marxists that wanted to trade Labor Day for Marx' birthday, I wouldn't give a damn. Guess I'm funny like that.

Ike
8/5/2008, 05:35 PM
Who would have ever thunk that in a great democratic society like our own, that a majority of people at a certain place could get together, decide what's in their best interests, and make that happen?

King Crimson
8/5/2008, 05:39 PM
Who would have ever thunk that in a great democratic society like our own, that a majority of people at a certain place could get together, decide what's in their best interests, and make that happen?

unbelievable, isn't it?

who do they think they are?

Turd_Ferguson
Who would have ever thunk that in a great democratic society like our own, that a majority of people at a certain place could get together, decide what's in their best interests, and make that happen?So what happens when your company's majority of people decide to have "Cinco de Mayo" off instead of July 4th?

NormanPride
Kind of refreshing, really. Freedom of religion is what America is about, baby. (among other things, of course. ;))

NormanPride
8/5/2008, 05:41 PM
So what happens when your company's majority of people decide to have "Cinco de Mayo" off instead of July 4th?

So you're against the popular vote?

KC//CRIMSON
8/5/2008, 05:50 PM

How dare they! Send them all back to the sand dunes of Rajasthan!

Ike
8/5/2008, 05:51 PM
So what happens when your company's majority of people decide to have "Cinco de Mayo" off instead of July 4th?

Buy some cerveza.

King Crimson
8/5/2008, 05:55 PM
cinco de mayo is a holiday popularized by beer companies. most mexicans don't really give a crap.

it's kind of a Disney holiday. where what we'd like to think, isn't really the case but makes us feel good about ourselves.

soonersn20xx
8/5/2008, 06:02 PM
Well I had a situation at work where about half the employees were African-American and wanted MLK day off in exchange for July the 4th.

I suppose it comes down to your point of view on where you might stand on this issue. A more appropriate solution would be that these employees take the issue up with the state and federal levels instead of trying to bully a private company into changing its holidays because they have a simple majority now.

Viking Kitten
8/5/2008, 06:07 PM
Really? A private company was able to work the problem out for itself and you feel like the goverment needs to get involved?

The article said the employees are already accustomed to working holidays anyway. I suppose if you're in the 20 percent who are opposed you can always find another job.

SoonerStormchaser
8/5/2008, 06:07 PM
Unions are teh succ!

Frozen Sooner
8/5/2008, 06:09 PM
Well I had a situation at work where about half the employees were African-American and wanted MLK day off in exchange for July the 4th.

I suppose it comes down to your point of view on where you might stand on this issue. A more appropriate solution would be that these employees take the issue up with the state and federal levels instead of trying to bully a private company into changing its holidays because they have a simple majority now.

I've read this post four times now and I still don't understand how it better serves equity to have the government mandate which holidays an employer has to give his staff off (hint: as of right now? None) rather than have the employees collectively bargain for the holidays of their choice.

royalfan5
8/5/2008, 06:11 PM
This could have easily happened without a Union. If 80% of your workforce is Muslim, trading them an Islamic Holy Day for a secular holiday would be a good tactic to help keep unions away.

soonersn20xx
8/5/2008, 06:12 PM
Does not the government mandate which holidays are federal? If a race or ethnic group should want to alter that, shouldn't that be where they try to?

MojoRisen
8/5/2008, 06:13 PM
We don't need Gov, if they convinced there company of this fine with me.

This is America and it is the land of the free - we need to remember that sometimes. If a company has employee's with enough pull to get a holiday- that is a no brainer- one day. If the Government starts telling us what holidays- more lawyers.

royalfan5
8/5/2008, 06:15 PM
Does not the government mandate which holidays are federal? If a race or ethnic group should want to alter that, shouldn't that be where they try to?A Federal Holiday doesn't mean you get the day off unless you a Federal Employee.

GrapevineSooner
8/5/2008, 06:15 PM

I'm not bound by their decision if I'm not a part of a union. And if I was in a union, I'd weigh my options as to how much switching those days off would truly affect me.

Which I'm guessing wouldn't be much.

King Crimson
8/5/2008, 06:18 PM
man, this is a tough choice: hate the Muzzies or hate organized labor?

just think, when BHO wins, we'll have BOTH!

soonersn20xx
8/5/2008, 06:19 PM
A Federal Holiday doesn't mean you get the day off unless you a Federal Employee.

True True, i was thinking that after I posted it................private companies merely use federal holidays as a guideline. Google FTW

Frozen Sooner
8/5/2008, 06:33 PM
A Federal Holiday doesn't mean you get the day off unless you a Federal Employee.

And not always then.

Frozen Sooner
8/5/2008, 06:34 PM
I'm not bound by their decision if I'm not a part of a union. And if I was in a union, I'd weigh my options as to how much switching those days off would truly affect me.

Don't forget what we're really celebrating: A bunch of rich slaveowners decided they didn't want to pay their taxes!

;)

Fraggle145
8/5/2008, 07:00 PM

Hell I'd rather have the 5th off then I could recover from the night of drinking a shooting fireworks celebrating our independence the night before.

olevetonahill
8/5/2008, 07:31 PM

Bro I feel Like Ive waisted your Inheritance
Bunch of us rednecks get togethere and turn you Way green then you Neg two of em
Now your Back down to Just barely green
I must admit Ive negged ya twice today meself
But Only cause I didnt like your way of saying carp :rolleyes:

Tulsa_Fireman
8/5/2008, 07:46 PM
DOWN THE BRITISH

NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION

Turd_Ferguson
8/5/2008, 07:59 PM
Don't forget what we're really celebrating: A bunch of rich slaveowners decided they didn't want to pay their taxes!

;)Please.....tell me more.

Frozen Sooner
8/5/2008, 08:02 PM
Please.....tell me more.

You know what I like about high school chicks?

Turd_Ferguson
8/5/2008, 08:05 PM
You know what I like about high school chicks?they like what you like?

Scott D
Please.....tell me more.

Clearly these rich white slave owners were one day afraid that some union in the far future was going to compromise with their employer to switch a singular holiday date from one holiday to another. Therefore, they went to war with the British for the right to not have this happen, but by god..and over Rush Limbaugh's Oxycodone addiction it happened. And now WW 3 is on your personal doorstep..oh wait, that's just a brown paper bag....that is on fire...you should go stomp it out. :D

r5TPsooner

They're EZ?

King Crimson
8/5/2008, 08:14 PM
They're EZ?

can you believe this strike out?

Frozen Sooner
8/5/2008, 08:22 PM
can you believe this strike out?

No flippin' kidding.

I mean, I expected that on the more obscure quote, but how in the hell do people not pick up on that one?

GottaHavePride
8/5/2008, 08:40 PM

I keep getting older, but they stay the same age.

47straight
8/5/2008, 08:41 PM
Labor Day is for commies anyway.

Frozen Sooner
8/5/2008, 08:46 PM
I keep getting older, but they stay the same age.

Goodness. Thanks for finally picking it up.

olevetonahill
8/5/2008, 08:49 PM
Goodness. Thanks for finally picking it up.

I woulda of, But I dont watch TeeVee or Movies very often

Scott D
8/5/2008, 09:19 PM
I simply refuse to quote anything said by that guy no matter what movie, even if it is a good line. :)

StoopTroup
8/5/2008, 09:27 PM
When your having to work while others are out celebrating Allah....you'll understand what just happened.

I'm just sayin'