PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know where to get a good deal on Lederhosen?

royalfan5
8/5/2008, 12:20 PM
I just joined the local German-American Society and signed up for some Deutsch classes. I think this will go better than the time I tried to learn biblical Hebrew.

Okla-homey
8/5/2008, 12:56 PM
I just joined the local German-American Society and signed up for some Deutsch classes. I think this will go better than the time I tried to learn biblical Hebrew.

Honestly, find a member making a trip to the Vaterland soon. They can pick that stuff up over there cheaper and better than you can get, even by mail, in the US. Plan on spending around $500.00 at least. More if you want a jacket too. Them tyrolian hats ain't cheap neither.

Our members usually take cash and lists of items folks want and bring it back. You get the advantage of a "local" doing your purchasing who can separate the touristy schlock from the real deal.

I haven't taken the plunge on principle. My peeps in East Prussia (Neiderschlesien) didn't wear that stuff. It's Bavarian -- you know, Germanic hillbilly attire.

royalfan5
8/5/2008, 01:03 PM
Well, I'm a 1/8 Bavarian and the 7/8 from Prussia. So I figure I can tie it in that way. Mostly I'm looking forward to the monthy buffets.

StoopTroup
8/5/2008, 01:09 PM
Us Irish gave the Scots the idea of the Kilt.

They still haven't gotten the joke.

Okla-homey
8/5/2008, 04:12 PM
Well, I'm a 1/8 Bavarian and the 7/8 from Prussia. So I figure I can tie it in that way. Mostly I'm looking forward to the monthy buffets.

buy a nice brown suit, white shirt and black necktie and riding boots. Then, grow a little mustache that just runs the width of your nose. You'll be the hit of the buffet. Problem solved.

royalfan5
8/5/2008, 04:15 PM
buy a nice brown suit, white shirt and black necktie and riding boots. Then, grow a little mustache that just runs the width of your nose. You'll be the hit of the buffet. Problem solved.

But I'm not Austrian. I could pull off a Reinhard Von Scheer style Van Dyke though.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/5/2008, 04:42 PM
But I'm not Austrian. I could pull off a Reinhard von Scheer style Van Dyke though.

Fixed.

SicEmBaylor
8/5/2008, 05:03 PM
This thread makes me happy that my people are all English and Scotch-Irish.

Viking Kitten
8/5/2008, 05:37 PM
The English and Scotch Irish, on the other hand, are demanding a paternity test.

King Crimson
8/5/2008, 05:44 PM
the CU German Department used to have killer Octoberfest parties on one of the secondary quadrangles. good times, kegs of good beer**. nice fall afternoon, guys in lederhosen, the hunter hats, live tuba band music, lots of wursts and kraut.

no more beer on campus these days...

**one of local breweries had a partnership deal with this place....Kloster Andechs. where yer old buddy King Crimson was also lucky enough to visit once. see the part about the doppelbock.

http://www.inside-munich.com/andechs.html

http://www.inside-munich.com/image-files/andechs-beer.jpg

royalfan5
8/5/2008, 05:48 PM
This thread makes me happy that my people are all English and Scotch-Irish.

Just wait til I start railing on about the Wars of French Aggression.

SicEmBaylor
8/5/2008, 05:51 PM
Just wait til I start railing on about the Wars of French Aggression.

I wouldn't complain too much. You people gave as good as you got.