PDA

View Full Version : How did you Hillbillies Miss This ?

TexasLidig8r
8/5/2008, 10:04 AM
With the wailing and gnashing of teeth over USC and Reggie Bush that is so prevalent on here.. how in the world did you f'in' hillbillies miss this article???

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/nfl/20080802-9999-1s2bush.html

Let the righteous indignation begin again!!!

stoops the eternal pimp
8/5/2008, 10:06 AM
How anybody could not like you is beyond me:D

badger
8/5/2008, 10:19 AM
Meh, you'd hate on Bush too if Vince didn't save your arse in Rose Bowl part 2.

meoveryouxinfinity
8/5/2008, 10:25 AM
With the wailing and gnashing of tooth over USC and Reggie Bush that is so prevalent on here.. how in the world did you f'in' hillbillies miss this article???

fixed.

EstablishedSooner1967
8/5/2008, 10:30 AM
If Michaels' testimony answers the final question about Bush's eligibility, the NCAA still would have another key issue to determine. It must find out what USC officials knew about Bush and his parents allegedly accepting impermissible benefits from Lake and Michaels while Bush was at USC. The more that can be proven that USC knew, the harsher the penalties for the Trojans.

Here is the loop hole to get usc off... all usc has to do is say these words "we did not know" end of case usc off again!

OUMallen
8/5/2008, 10:31 AM
Forfeiting games is enbough. What I am worried about is Vince YOung finisnhing 2nd in the Heisman voting that year....would he be awarded it?

Flagstaffsooner
8/5/2008, 10:33 AM
How did you Hillbillies Miss This ? 'Cause we're not butt rangers that read Californy newspapers.

TexasLidig8r
8/5/2008, 10:34 AM
Forfeiting games is enbough. What I am worried about is Vince YOung finisnhing 2nd in the Heisman voting that year....would he be awarded it?

He wouldn't accept it.

His Heisman pose with the crystal football after the Rose Bowl game was vindication enough.

OUMallen
8/5/2008, 10:38 AM
He wouldn't accept it.

His Heisman pose with the crystal football after the Rose Bowl game was vindication enough.

1. How do you know? I mean, he almost certainly doesn't care now that he's in the bigs, but it's pretty presumptuous of you to say that. What athelete at the Olympics wouldn't accept the gold after placing second to a cheater?

CincySooner
8/5/2008, 10:42 AM
Here is the loop hole to get usc off... all usc has to do is say these words "we did not know" end of case usc off again!

Didn't work for OU.

badger
8/5/2008, 10:47 AM
He wouldn't accept it.

Ummm... WOULDN'T ACCEPT THE FREAKIN' HEISMAN TROPHY?

Now, I know that you whorns all know Vince better than we Sooners (except when it comes to how his little offensive mind works... here, let me show you in picture form...)
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e45/Carofranky76/YoungCry.jpg
Tee hee, that is so funny :D

But wouldn't you think NOT taking a Heisman you deserve because the winner was ineligible would be a little bit... um... dumb?

http://images.smarter.com/blogs/vinceyoungshirtless.jpg

Now, I know that you know VY better and are more in-tune with his dumbedness and his increased dumbening over the years from choosing Texas over better development options, to the Wonderlic, to the Madden cover... but is VY really that dumb? Is he REALLY that dumb?

Now, I know what Whorn logic would say in retort: Bajjjjjjjjj, are you saying that OU would be stupid to not accept a national title handed directly to them after USC is declared ineligible in 2004? To that, I would say that is a different circumstance. There were two teams other than USC worthy of the title game that year and therefore, two teams that would be considered worthy of the title itself. Because a championship is determined by a game now instead of an poll from sports writers (thank you for something, BCS) or a vote of coaches, former players, etc., the championship is DIFFERENT from the Heisman.

The Heisman, because it is awarded based on ballots and not on game outcomes, would be rightfully Vince's if Reggie is indeed a cheatin' condom. The 2004 championship, on the other hand, is not voted for, but rather, earned on the field in a championship game. There is no Heisman game (unless you think VY's vindication game in the Rose Bowl counts, in which case he definitely deserves it for winning), so by ballot, VY deserves it.

Now... back the original question: Is Vince really that dumb?
http://www.televisioninternet.com/news/pictures/vince.jpg
Is he that big of an idiot?
http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Vince-Young_0.jpg

:D

Outopia
8/5/2008, 11:17 AM
He wouldn't accept it.

This BS is about the most stupid post I have ever read on the I-net. Can you possibly be this stupid?

If I had posted this, the mere shame of it would have driven from society.

The Maestro
8/5/2008, 12:13 PM
Michael Michaels. What parents DO this?!?!

OUMallen
8/5/2008, 12:20 PM
Only cool thing I ever saw VY do is drink whiskey straight. We need more whiskey drinkers.

Sooner_09
8/5/2008, 12:36 PM
Didn't work for OU.

A) We're not part of the pac-10 so we don't cheat.
B)We're not out in Hollywood.
C) We don't pay recruits to play here:D

Man, I really ****in hate SUC right now!:mad:

Jacie
8/5/2008, 12:44 PM

That didn't work for me that day I was pulled over by a state trooper whilst driving my wife's SUV with an out-of-date inspection sticker despite me pointing out how he could have pulled her over many times before . . .

olevetonahill
8/5/2008, 12:52 PM
With the wailing and gnashing of teeth over USC and Reggie Bush that is so prevalent on here.. how in the world did you f'in' hillbillies miss this article???

WE Prolly didnt Care cause its the Same **** differant Day
when something REAL happens wake Me ok ?

RedstickSooner
8/5/2008, 12:53 PM

I disagree -- forfeiting games is *not* enough. Nobody gives a rat's patoot about wins that are stricken from the books later.

USC is guilty of either willful tolerance if they knew, or gross negligence if they didn't. Either way, they need institutional penalties, not archival scolding.

OUMallen
8/5/2008, 01:11 PM
Wow, how do you know this? You think Pete Carroll goes and checks on each player's parents' abode? We don't want an uncalled-for, extra harsh penalty on USC because that just sets a precedent for everyone to get s-hammered. We want the "right" penalty on USC.

Curly Bill
8/5/2008, 01:13 PM
Wow, how do you know this? You think Pete Carroll goes and checks on each player's parents' abode? We don't want an uncalled-for, extra harsh penalty on USC because that just sets a precedent for everyone to get s-hammered. We want the "right" penalty on USC.

Na, I want them to get hammered...

OUMallen
8/5/2008, 01:14 PM
Well, me too honestly, but I just don't think it's for the best. We were screaming that Bob couldn't know what every player did for employment and how they were paid on the Bomar thing, but now we're screaming the opposite for USC? It's disingenuous and intellectually dishonest.

meoveryouxinfinity
8/5/2008, 01:22 PM
Well, me too honestly, but I just don't think it's for the best. We were screaming that Bob couldn't know what every player did for employment and how they were paid on the Bomar thing, but now we're screaming the opposite for USC? It's disingenuous and intellectually dishonest.

Apples and oranges. And OU DID discover the Bomar deal.

Curly Bill
8/5/2008, 01:24 PM

Unlike USuC we didn't try to hide what happened. It's an entirely different scenario.

OUMallen
8/5/2008, 01:33 PM
I didn't see where USC knew about this and actively tried to hide it...? That would obviously change my opinion.

Curly Bill
8/5/2008, 01:38 PM
I didn't see where USC knew about this and actively tried to hide it...? That would obviously change my opinion.

I guess you would say they were less than forthright with the NCAA, whereas we reported Bomar and Quinn soon as we knew.

badger
8/5/2008, 01:42 PM
Um... just wanted to point this out before this thread hits 30 pages like Jarboe did...

Lid you suck. Stop rabble rousing my fellow Sooners here. We already know all about Reggie Bush and have discussed it a million times over and therefore will not be spending 30 pages discussion this recent and extremely minor development. Thanks for playing, though.

OUMallen
8/5/2008, 02:08 PM
I guess you would say they were less than forthright with the NCAA, whereas we reported Bomar and Quinn soon as we knew.

I jsut haven't read about any smoking gun that USC clearly knew, that's all. It's hard for me to believe they didn't know their susperstar RB's folks were living in a mansion, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

Jdog
8/5/2008, 02:46 PM
Apples and oranges. And OU DID discover the Bomar deal.

OU didn't discover the Bomar deal. It was posted on a board that is a lot like this one, and once the media got a hold of it, and because it was obvious that the NCAA would soon be asking questions, OU did the right thing and started their investigation.

USuC will get charged with failure to monitor, lose 8 scholarships over the next 2 years and that will be the end of it.

this whole thing is now so old that its boring.

TexasLidig8r
8/5/2008, 03:00 PM
Um... just wanted to point this out before this thread hits 30 pages like Jarboe did...

Lid you suck. Stop rabble rousing my fellow Sooners here. We already know all about Reggie Bush and have discussed it a million times over and therefore will not be spending 30 pages discussion this recent and extremely minor development. Thanks for playing, though.

Let the old man fish Badger you wild lacivious thing you!

As for SC... with the OJ Mayo investigation warming up on the sidelines as well, it raises the issue of whether the athletic department knew, or in the exercise of reasonable care, should have known of the improprieties going on.

It is one thing to say, "oh.. there was no way for us to know." It is a different thing entirely to turn a blind eye to obvious events going on under your nose.

The depositions should be very interesting as to revealing "who knew what."

You hillbillies may get your pound of flesh.

badger
8/5/2008, 03:03 PM
Let the old man fish Badger you wild lacivious thing you!

Why you ever went back to green from red I'll never know...

OUMallen
8/5/2008, 03:10 PM

So bad, he's good?

meoveryouxinfinity
8/5/2008, 03:27 PM
OU didn't discover the Bomar deal. It was posted on a board that is a lot like this one, and once the media got a hold of it, and because it was obvious that the NCAA would soon be asking questions, OU did the right thing and started their investigation.

USuC will get charged with failure to monitor, lose 8 scholarships over the next 2 years and that will be the end of it.

I've seen the aTm message board. but all that is hearsay and longhorn logic. the media got ahold of it? I never saw a single news article about the violations before OU reported them. Am I wrong?

badger
8/5/2008, 03:44 PM
So bad, he's good?

Look who's talking, oh orange one... :D

badger
8/5/2008, 04:05 PM

For the record, I'm sure that if employees at that place knew, then so did OU but they needed to do a thorough investigation before going through the trouble of making any decisions that could cause detriment to the program or to the student-athletes if they were innocent.

I mean, think about it! Would OU come out the second they heard something from the new ownership of Big Red?
---
Big Red: I think our former owner paid two of your athletes more than they earned.

OU: PRESS CONFERENCE TIME! LET'S GET OURSELVES ON PROBATION!!!
---

Oh, wow, that almost sounds funny if it wasn't such a bitter situation :mad: In any event, OU took extra time to ensure that they, to quote Gundy, "get their facts straight." OU figured out exactly how much the two guys got overpaid, how long it had been going on, etc. through player interviews, player pay stubs, and other records and information. THEN they made it publicly known what was going down.

If they made rash decisions before they had their facts, how exactly would that sound?
---
OU: Um, I know you all read this on an A&M message board already, but a few of our players received extra pay at Big Red. They're booted, btw.

Media: How much did they get overpaid?

OU: Um...

Media: How long has this been going on?

OU: Um...

Media: You had other players working there too! Have you checked on their pay records?

OU: No... but we plan to...

Media: MEDIA CIRCUS TIME! OU FAILS TO MONITOR THEIR ATHLETES!
---

Oh dear, what a frenzy that would have been. As such, OU self-reported AFTER they made a thorough investigation and made their decision on how to act AFTER they knew the facts. This way, they maintain face that they are indeed in control and are making sound decisions regarding student-athlete employment and monitoring, so that you have more situations like this.
---

Stoops: The players are off the team.

Media: (waiting for him to actually name the players)

Stoops: The players did something they knew was wrong.

Media: (still waiting for him to name the players, but not daring to cross visibly angry Stoops)

(and later)

Media: We are standing here in front of Brad McRae's house where they are peeking out mini-blinds but not answering our many knocks on their door... oh look, it's Steve Owens' son, a neighbor of McRae's!

Owens: Um... he's a good neighbor and all...

(and still later)

Media: We are here at Oklahoma City airport trying to catch up with Rhett... RHETT! RHETT! I was wondering if you would like to say something to all of your OU fans!

RB: No, man, I'm just here to pick up my girlfriend.

Media: Wait! ...keep the camera going! RHETT! RHETT!
---

Clearly, OU is in control when they have the information and how they release it. They cooperated with the NCAA fully and were rewarded with a lesser punishment (which were self-punishments, btw). If anyone looks funny in all of this, it's the frantic media and their unusual reports.

---
Media: We have an EXCLUSIVE interview here with Rhett and J.D. where we never ask them any questions, but they just stand in front of the camera and talk!

RB: Um... I'm sorry. I love Oklahoma. I made a mistake.

JD: Um... I'm sorry too. Hopefully Coach Stoops will help me get out of this situation I really messed up.
---

It also allowed for fun follow-up interviews later on!
---
Media: We are live now with JD on the phone. As you all know, he got kicked off the awesome 7-time national championship Oklahoma football team and is now freezing to death in Montana... how do you respond to such smack talk?

JD: No.

Media: You don't have anything to say?

JD: No. Get a real job.
---

Ahhh, memories. If only all of it never happened :(

OUMallen
8/5/2008, 04:07 PM
Look who's talking, oh orange one... :D

All that orange is basically courtesy of Olevatonhil (or whatever) negging me like 4298742098 times today for reasons unbeknownst to me. Maybe if he keeps going, I can go Lid and get back green!

Dan Thompson
8/5/2008, 05:16 PM
Just because Reggie all of a sudden comes to school one day with his own car, doesn't mean he didn't earn the money for it, cmon let's be real.

UTgolfer
8/5/2008, 06:28 PM
Just so everyone is clear...regardless of what happens as a result of this investigation the NCAA will not take away the Heisman from Reggies Bush. That's because they didn't award it...the Downtown Athletic Club did and only they can take it away.

As for Lid's comment about Vince not accepting it if were taken away...he is spot on.

BoulderSooner79
8/5/2008, 06:57 PM
Na, I want them to get hammered...

I have to agree and 'SC is at the top of my 10 most hated list. These are tough situations for both the schools and the NCAA. The coach is in a position of being responsible for something out of his control. But if the NCAA doesn't slap on stiff penalties, dishonest programs will always just claim "they didn't know". I think what Bob did in the Bomar case does put the squeeze on 'SC to come clean. But instead, they seemed to have dragged their feet at evey opportunity. So if they get large penalty, it's hard to cry much for them.

In response to Lid - I am *not* a hillbilly. My wife is my *second* cousin. :P

olevetonahill
8/5/2008, 07:04 PM

An Admin felt sorry fer hizazz :eek:

olevetonahill
8/5/2008, 07:07 PM
All that orange is basically courtesy of Olevatonhil (or whatever) negging me like 4298742098 times today for reasons unbeknownst to me. Maybe if he keeps going, I can go Lid and get back green!

I negged you twice today. Do you need a calendar to ?
And I think Ive left very clear reasons . :rolleyes:

AlbqSooner
8/5/2008, 08:13 PM
1. How do you know? I mean, he almost certainly doesn't care now that he's in the bigs, but it's pretty presumptuous of you to say that. What athelete at the Olympics wouldn't accept the gold after placing second to a cheater?

Really bad example. Go read the Jim Thorpe Story.

Thing about suc that is different is that they wholly refused to cooperate with NCAA investigators throughout this investigation.

KingDavid
8/5/2008, 10:09 PM

You should know by now that a neg from Oleve requires no explanation. You'd do best to just say "thank you" and move on.

Jdog
8/5/2008, 10:41 PM
I've seen the aTm message board. but all that is hearsay and longhorn logic. the media got ahold of it? I never saw a single news article about the violations before OU reported them. Am I wrong?

I read about it in the Star Telegram before I saw discussion about it on this board.

Jdog
8/5/2008, 10:43 PM
I have to agree and 'SC is at the top of my 10 most hated list. These are tough situations for both the schools and the NCAA. The coach is in a position of being responsible for something out of his control. But if the NCAA doesn't slap on stiff penalties, dishonest programs will always just claim "they didn't know". I think what Bob did in the Bomar case does put the squeeze on 'SC to come clean. But instead, they seemed to have dragged their feet at evey opportunity. So if they get large penalty, it's hard to cry much for them.

In response to Lid - I am *not* a hillbilly. My wife is my *second* cousin. :P

Thats why I think they'll lose 8 schollys over 2 years.

OUMallen
8/6/2008, 08:44 AM
You should know by now that a neg from Oleve requires no explanation. You'd do best to just say "thank you" and move on.

Duly noted. They are usually sputtered insults anyway. Now Big Red Ron is just finding everything I post and negspekking. Oh well. It IS a shade of crimson, after all.

Not sure how Jim Thorpe's story has anything to do with college football awards almost a century later. CHalk me up ignorant on that one.

TexasLidig8r
8/6/2008, 09:05 AM
Duly noted. They are usually sputtered insults anyway. Now Big Red Ron is just finding everything I post and negspekking. Oh well. It IS a shade of crimson, after all.

Psstt.. Mallen.... once your negspekking gets so extreme...

It turns... BURNT ORANGE!!!!!

badger
8/6/2008, 09:16 AM

Some mod has taken pity on Mallen, much like they took pity on you, Lid :D

Or perhaps, they just took away all the spek that vet gave him and suddenly, he was all green ;)

Jdog
8/6/2008, 09:17 AM

Not sure how Jim Thorpe's story has anything to do with college football awards almost a century later. CHalk me up ignorant on that one.

Thank you sir may I have another.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/6/2008, 11:24 AM
If Michaels' testimony answers the final question about Bush's eligibility, the NCAA still would have another key issue to determine. It must find out what USC officials knew about Bush and his parents allegedly accepting impermissible benefits from Lake and Michaels while Bush was at USC. The more that can be proven that USC knew, the harsher the penalties for the Trojans.

Why would the NCAA need to look at whether the school knew? According to recent precedent, the compliance dept is supposed to have spies that track everything going on with a player at any given time.

soonermix
8/6/2008, 11:32 AM
Only cool thing I ever saw VY do is drink whiskey straight. We need more whiskey drinkers.

in

meoveryouxinfinity
8/6/2008, 12:28 PM
I read about it in the Star Telegram before I saw discussion about it on this board.

I was asking if any news or media source broke the news before OU/Stoops had a press conference to break the news.

olevetonahill
8/6/2008, 01:31 PM

Have another "sputtered Insult" :D

OUMallen
8/6/2008, 02:33 PM

Oh, that is true...well, my spek bar reminded me of the Cotton Bowl (Crimson/orange) there for a bit instead of the Pacific NW. :D

Crimsontothecore
8/6/2008, 07:30 PM
Now Big Red Ron is just finding everything I post and negspekking.

He did the same thing to me. He has no life when not in front of his comp.

Not that it really means anything, but there needs to be something in place to prevent reputation from going green to red based on the multiple negs of ONE poster.