PDA

View Full Version : question about sea-doo insurance

soonerbrat
8/5/2008, 09:10 AM
do you have to carry insurance on those like you do on automobiles? My friend's daughter was riding one with her boyfriend and they hit a wave or something and she flipped off of it, hit her face on his head and broke her nose. now she has to have surgery on it...

Curly Bill
8/5/2008, 09:13 AM
If you finance it you'd have to have insurance, what exactly it covers like bodily injury/liability type stuff I don't know. Someone on here will.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/5/2008, 09:17 AM
It's covered under their homeowner's policy. Mine used to be, anyway. I was surprised you didn't have to have specific insurance for the thing but you don't/didn't. You could get additional coverage if you wanted to but it wasn't required.

I thought it would be kinda like a motorcycle with higher insurance and stuff since they're considered 'dangerous'.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/5/2008, 09:18 AM
That was a few years ago, though. Things might be very different now.

goodonya
8/5/2008, 09:19 AM
I carry a similar policy to my autos on my Sea Doos. I have kids on them all the time and know sooner or later they are going to hit something, get hit by something or do something similar to what you described.

I have used Progressive for 15-yrs to insure boats, 4-wheelers, Sea Doos, etc.

Curly Bill
8/5/2008, 09:19 AM
I thought it would be kinda like a motorcycle with higher insurance and stuff since they're considered 'dangerous'.

Wow, I'm really surprised it's not like this. Course I've never owned a personal watergraft so what do I know.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/5/2008, 09:21 AM
I carry a similar policy to my autos on my Sea Doos. I have kids on them all the time and know sooner or later they are going to hit something, get hit by something or do something similar to what you described.

I have used Progressive for 15-yrs to insure boats, 4-wheelers, Sea Doos, etc.

Yeah, the additional coverage was encouraged if kids would be riding them (anyone under 18), that is. Legally, I think you're supposed to be 14 to ride them anyway but I used to see people letting LITTLE kids ride them alone all the time. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

goodonya
8/5/2008, 09:27 AM
In Texas you have to have a Boater Safety Card to operate a boat. You can get them when you're 12 but cannot operate a vehicle solo until you're 13. My 11-yr old turns 12 on the 28th and though he has already passed his "practice" exam, will only get his paperwork on the 29th. (yikes)

Oldnslo
8/5/2008, 09:29 AM
There is a specific statute dealing with small watercraft liability. It's pretty bad for the owner of the sea-doo. It's more of a sea-don't. (I'm here all week! Try the veal!)

The little girl in your story needs to have her bills paid by the owner/operator of the watercraft. Feel free to send her my way.