PDA

View Full Version : Cuban Missile Crisis II Putin's ready. Are we?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/5/2008, 12:41 AM
Guess Russia is feeling more and more like the USSR of old, with interest in regaining footholds in Cuba. Could it be our unwillingness to deal with Iran has emboldened the Ruskies?
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D92BJ0KG0.htm

mdklatt
8/5/2008, 12:46 AM
By "dealing with" Iran do you mean bombing them? Invading them? Nuking them? Because I'm sure that won't agitate the Ruskies at all.

StoopTroup
8/5/2008, 01:06 AM
Slow Roast them?

8/5/2008, 01:06 AM
By "dealing with" Iran do you mean bombing them? Invading them? Nuking them? Because I'm sure that won't agitate the Ruskies at all.You're asking me to figure out why we haven't done anything with Iran but try to tell them to stop with the nukes and terrorism, already. I guess Putin figures since we are apparently unwilling to push our military envelope any farther right now, it's time for Mother Russia to embolden its old self. I dunno.:(

StoopTroup
8/5/2008, 01:17 AM
Maybe we could line the Eastern border of Iraq with Tanks and Bradleys and Hummers and tell them they are just there to help them with their freedom from tyranny.

mdklatt
8/5/2008, 01:31 AM
I guess Putin figures since we are apparently unable to push our military envelope any farther right now, it's time for Mother Russia to embolden its old self.

Fixed. Maybe we would have had a credible threat if we hadn't shot our wad in Iraq? Afghanistan is flaring up, it sure would have been nice to mount a surge there, huh? Too bad the Army is strung out. Even if we had the military ability to something right now, we don't have the political ability. Guess what happens when you hide the truth about going to war and then make a complete ****-up of the after party? Your citizens don't want to go to war anymore, and your allies don't want anything to do with you.

I think Russia is more likely to screw with us economically than militarily, so maybe Putin is just rattling the swords to get the jingos on his side.

8/5/2008, 01:42 AM
Fixed. Maybe we would have had a credible threat if we hadn't shot our wad in Iraq? Afghanistan is flaring up, it sure would have been nice to mount a surge there, huh? Too bad the Army is strung out. Even if we had the military ability to something right now, we don't have the political ability. Guess what happens when you hide the truth about going to war and then make a complete ****-up of the after party? Your citizens don't want to go to war anymore, and your allies don't want anything to do with you.

I think Russia is more likely to screw with us economically than militarily, so maybe Putin is just rattling the swords to get the jingos on his side.Sorry you disagree with being in Iraq. How hard would it be to "do something" with Iran if we(translation:Bush) wanted to? Don't be too shocked if somebody intervenes in Iran, before Iran fries Israel. BTW, what do you think of Russia putting nukes into Cuba, again?

mdklatt
8/5/2008, 02:05 AM
How hard would it be to "do something" with Iran if we(translation:Bush) wanted to?

Ground forces? Nearly impossible for a variety of reasons. Air strikes, not good for political reasons. Negotiations? Not this president (even though they worked in NK). The Iranian government needs to be toppled from the inside out. That's why adding them to the Axis of Evil was stupid. Even if it was true, all it did was galvanize the Iranians against us. They had been getting increasing pro-Western, and the president was fairly moderate. We closed that down and forced them to circle their wagons.

Don't be too shocked if somebody intervenes in Iran, before Iran fries Israel.

That somebody is going to be Israel.

BTW, what do you think of Russia putting nukes into Cuba, again?

Largely symbolic, a middle finger back at us for playing in their backyard. Not another Cuban Missile Crisis. It's not a good thing, but not anything to bring back Duck and Cover.

8/5/2008, 02:15 AM
I'm not sure how comfortable any president will be with allowing Russia to do that, esp since (Camelot's own)JFK didn't allow it.

SoonerProphet
8/5/2008, 06:45 AM
http://www.nationalinterest.org/Article.aspx?id=19468