PDA

View Full Version : Naders!

Ike
8/4/2008, 08:52 PM
No, not Ralph...

We just had 2 tornado warnings in rather rapid succession, and straight line winds in parts gusting up to 80 (or so they say...I think they were more like 60).

They came on pretty fast. Unfortunately, our house has one itty bitty bathroom as the only acceptable tornado shelter. Lucky for us, if any of them touched down at all (the warning notices don't say anything about a tornado spotted on the ground...only heavy rotation detected by radar), they touched down a few miles to the north and the other to the southeast.

olevetonahill
8/4/2008, 08:54 PM
Glad ur safe .

Whet
8/4/2008, 08:56 PM
I was wondering about you up there!
We just had straight-line winds, no hail....

I do have some buddies that live near Elburn.... haven't heard if they had any problems.

soonersn20xx
8/4/2008, 09:01 PM
Get the pickup Jimmy!!, time for some nader chasing.

http://pix.nofrag.com/2/6/7/1786a434c2c28e35876e302011d44.gif (http://pix.nofrag.com/2/6/7/1786a434c2c28e35876e302011d44.html)

StoopTroup
8/4/2008, 09:14 PM
I hate teh naders.

Glad everything is OK.

mdklatt
8/4/2008, 09:51 PM
Based on what the radar looks like now, you had a derecho blow through--emphasis on blow. Derechoes mean strong winds, but usually not tornadoes, unless you get some "gustnadoes" along the leading edge where there's a crap-ton of vorticity. But storms up that way don't always act like the ones around here, so who knows.

When I get a sailboat, I'm gonna name it Derecho.

Ike
8/4/2008, 09:55 PM
Based on what the radar looks like now, you had a derecho blow through--emphasis on blow. Derechoes mean strong winds, but usually not tornadoes, unless you get some "gustnadoes" along the leading edge where there's a crap-ton of vorticity. But storms up that way don't always act like the ones around here, so who knows.

Blow thru was exactly right.

Tornado sirens went off, and about 2 minutes later, we went from 0 mph winds to 50 mph winds. It was kind of a sight to see...

And yeah, it was the leading edge that spawned the tornado warnings. If we had Gary England up here, he would have been all over the "bow echo".

Val's Getner would have gotten stuck in traffic too.

mdklatt
8/4/2008, 09:57 PM
we went from 0 mph winds to 50 mph winds

Pfft, we call that "a sunny day in March" around here, except that it's never zero. "Windy City" my ***. :D

Whet
8/6/2008, 08:29 AM
Geez! I found out this morning a tornado hit about 1,000 feet from our house on Monday night!!!!

I was wondering if Ike was getting anything in his area because that was the area the news/weather folks were talking about and warning folks to take cover, etc and didn't know how lucky we were!!!

I was watching the news last night and they had some video of the tornado damage and noticed the houses they were showing looked similar to those by us. So, this morning I check the local news reports trying to find a location of the tornado. That's when I learned how close it was.

soonerbrat
8/6/2008, 08:43 AM
there were Naders in France yesterday.

Fugue
8/6/2008, 09:00 AM

this reminds me, we had an 80mph downburst up here in Wichitat the other day. Have any of you weather folks ever seen one of these?
The :gary: folks were all giddy.

Ike
8/6/2008, 09:17 AM
Geez! I found out this morning a tornado hit about 1,000 feet from our house on Monday night!!!!

I was wondering if Ike was getting anything in his area because that was the area the news/weather folks were talking about and warning folks to take cover, etc and didn't know how lucky we were!!!

I was watching the news last night and they had some video of the tornado damage and noticed the houses they were showing looked similar to those by us. So, this morning I check the local news reports trying to find a location of the tornado. That's when I learned how close it was.

You down in Bolingbrook? I saw on the news that one touched down there yesterday. Glad it missed ya.

soonermix
8/6/2008, 09:20 AM
that sounds scarier than hurricane edouard down here in houston.
:gary:

badger
8/6/2008, 09:27 AM
No, not Ralph...

are you sure?
http://cagle.com/news/NaderPresident/images/bagley.jpg

:D

mdklatt
8/6/2008, 12:53 PM
this reminds me, we had an 80mph downburst up here in Wichitat the other day. Have any of you weather folks ever seen one of these?

A stronger downburst than that ripped up Westheimer in 1992.

Fugue
8/6/2008, 01:04 PM
A stronger downburst than that ripped up Westheimer in 1992.

Ah yes, the '92 downburst.

Weird deals. Ours was over the highway so the only victims were the semis and street signs that got blown over. The strangest part of the storm was the 4 inches of hail it dropped.