PDA

View Full Version : Too fat to die!

Okla-homey
8/4/2008, 05:15 PM
Tub of goo claims the needle won't work because his veins are too deep.
How in the name of all that's holy does a guy, who for 20 some odd years relied on the state to provide him every morsel of food, end up this big?

Clearly, there must have been some illicit twinkie smuggling afoot.

You know, I bet hanging would work really well, if he had a neck.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D92BN4N82&show_article=1

sooner n houston
8/4/2008, 05:19 PM
Maybe a few months on bread and water will improve his "condition"!

Okla-homey
8/4/2008, 05:21 PM
Maybe a few months on bread and water will improve his "condition"!

ah, there's the rub. That would be "cruel."

I say just let the guy rot on Death Row for the next thirty years. But hey, that's just me.

mdklatt
8/4/2008, 05:22 PM
I have no idea what breitbart.com is, but based on the stuff it's used as a source for I'm gonna guess it's somewhere between World Net Daily and Fox News. Am I close?

Okla-homey
8/4/2008, 05:23 PM
I have no idea what breitbart.com is, but based on the stuff it's used as a source for I'm gonna guess it's somewhere between World Net Daily and Fox News. Am I close?

I dunno. But you gotta admit, its an interesting problem.

Let's recap:

You can be too pretty for prison.

You can be too fat for execution.

what's next?

bonkuba
8/4/2008, 05:25 PM

Hmmmm....dunno. Fox I trust......but World Net....mmmmm...not so much:D

royalfan5
8/4/2008, 05:25 PM
About 10-15 years ago, a fat condemned man made roughly the same arguement about being too fat to hang in Washington state. Since fatties decapitate when swung. I think that is what finally switched them to offering the needle as an option. I would like to point out that nobody is too fat to be shot in the back of the head like the Chinese do. If we are going to have the death penalty, that's how it should be done. Of course, I would prefer we do away with the death penalty period, but that is another story.

Frozen Sooner
8/4/2008, 05:26 PM
Homey, I thought you were opposed to the death penalty. Was I wrong on that?

Okla-homey
8/4/2008, 05:29 PM
Homey, I thought you were opposed to the death penalty. Was I wrong on that?

I am. I just thought this was a novel and noteworthy attempt at a stay. Good lawyering if you ask me.

mdklatt
8/4/2008, 06:15 PM
I don't understand the fuss about cruel and unusual execution methods. It seems to me the whole dying thing is the objectionable part. There's no need to draw and quarter people, but come on.

BigRedJed
8/4/2008, 06:42 PM
From what I have seen of Breitbart, they don't do any actual reporting, but instead serve as more of a clearinghouse for stories by legitimate media outlets. Depending upon your views of the media in general, probably the most suspect stuff they post is local network affiliate news pieces.

They do also have some internally-produced webcast shows, but the ones I have seen are all shows in which they analyze and critique the deliveries of the media outlets themselves. You'd probably like it, klatt.

mdklatt
8/4/2008, 06:44 PM
They do also have some internally-produced webcast shows, but the ones I have seen are all shows in which they analyze and critique the deliveries of the media outlets themselves. You'd probably like it, klatt.

I guess I'll have to check it out some time rather than making an uninformed judgment.

BigRedJed
8/4/2008, 07:02 PM
Sorry, that's against the rules here.

BigRedJed
8/4/2008, 07:02 PM
And by "here" I mean "the Internet."

tommieharris91
8/4/2008, 07:06 PM

I say just let the guy rot on Death Row for the next thirty years. But hey, that's just me.

But then we taxpayers have to keep paying for him. I say just give him up to the firing squad.

proud gonzo
8/4/2008, 08:10 PM
i bet he's not too fat for a guillotine.

Rogue
8/4/2008, 08:17 PM
Life.

Collier11
8/4/2008, 08:20 PM

nothing about that is cruel nor would the pain be during the execution compared to him raping and murdering two poor girls...I get so sick of protecting the rights of the convicted, they need to suffer! Im not saying you are protecting his rights OH just in general

Collier11
8/4/2008, 08:22 PM
i bet he's not too fat for a guillotine.

he isnt too fat to be raped viciously like those girls...just sayin :D

olevetonahill
8/4/2008, 08:24 PM
Let me get this str8
Hes Fat so it Might Hurt when the try to Find a Vein . OK
He taking Meds for Headaches so It might make the other drugs Hurt when they kill him , OK
He Raped and Mudered 2 Young Girls ( but I dont guess he hurt em )
Maybe we should Hire some HO to Beat him to death :D

mdklatt
8/4/2008, 09:00 PM
Here's a head scratcher. Defendant is a shoe-in for a murder conviction, but he's schizophrenic and incompetent to stand trial. He's competent if he takes his medication, but he refuses to take. Can the court order him to take his medication just so he's competent long enough to sentence him to death?

That's from a Law & Order episode, don't know if it's a true case.

olevetonahill
8/4/2008, 09:05 PM
Kill em all Let God sort it out .:cool:

tulsaoilerfan
8/5/2008, 06:35 PM
He's not that damn fat; i was thinking 600 pounds when i clicked on the link.

Frozen Sooner
8/5/2008, 07:03 PM
Here's a head scratcher. Defendant is a shoe-in for a murder conviction, but he's schizophrenic and incompetent to stand trial. He's competent if he takes his medication, but he refuses to take. Can the court order him to take his medication just so he's competent long enough to sentence him to death?

That's from a Law & Order episode, don't know if it's a true case.

Heh. When I was reading your post I was thinking "How did Sam Waterston handle this?"

Insanity pleas are pretty rare in Alaska-the courts have set the bar really high. I think, though, that the question isn't necessarily whether the defendant can actively participate in their trial (which is relevant inasmuch as the court ordering him to take medication) but whether the defendant knew right from wrong at the time he committed the crime. If the defendant didn't know right from wrong at the time he committed the crime, the question of ordering him to take his medication becomes moot.

Okla-homey
8/5/2008, 08:04 PM
Heh. When I was reading your post I was thinking "How did Sam Waterston handle this?"

Insanity pleas are pretty rare in Alaska-the courts have set the bar really high. I think, though, that the question isn't necessarily whether the defendant can actively participate in their trial (which is relevant inasmuch as the court ordering him to take medication) but whether the defendant knew right from wrong at the time he committed the crime. If the defendant didn't know right from wrong at the time he committed the crime, the question of ordering him to take his medication becomes moot.

Two issues here.

#1: Defendant's ability to assist with his defense. If batsh1t, no trial. But he stays locked-up til he's able to assist with his defense. Thus, refusing meds that could make him capable of standing trial is counterproductive because he stays in the booby hutch indefinitely.

#2: Insanity at the time he committed the crime. Here in Oklahoma, the defendant must introduce evidence allowing the trier of fact to conclude to about a 51% certainty he a) didn't know what he did was wrong, or b) couldn't appreciate the nature and quality of his actions. If he does that, the burden shifts to the state has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt the preceding was not true at the time the defendant did the deed.

And even if the defendant is found to have been nutz when he did it, he stays in the looney bin 'til he's better.

Frozen Sooner
8/5/2008, 08:08 PM
Well, sure on #2, and that's what I was fumbling towards: if the defendant can prove that he did not know right from wrong at the time the crime was committed, then as soon as he takes his meds he walks. Which moots the question of the court ordering him to take his meds. Of course, I guess if there's no trial then he can't prove he wasn't responsible for his actions. Which makes not taking his meds counter-productive.

Moot moot moot.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/5/2008, 08:24 PM
The question is MOOT!

http://blackademics.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/Jesse%20recent.jpg

SoonerStormchaser
8/5/2008, 08:35 PM
You can be too pretty for prison.

Hey...I'd have hit her in a New York minute!

Tulsa_Fireman
8/5/2008, 08:38 PM
With a brick, maybe.

olevetonahill
8/6/2008, 02:14 AM
Hey...I'd have hit her in a New York minute!

No **** , Look what you married :P

OUDoc
8/6/2008, 07:48 AM
Start a central line. He acts like obese people aren't in the hospital on IV fluids all the time.

shaun4411
8/6/2008, 09:26 AM
his public defender stated that if not properly anethesized, his execution would be excruciating. could we be so lucky? if our capital punishments were excruciatingly painful, I bet that would be anothere deterrent to committing murder.

soonermix
8/6/2008, 09:34 AM
when are they going to start equiping courtrooms with gallows?
totally save money that way. get a guilty verdict kick the stool out from underneath the guilty
done and done

Okla-homey
8/6/2008, 10:26 AM
his public defender stated that if not properly anethesized, his execution would be excruciating. could we be so lucky? if our capital punishments were excruciatingly painful, I bet that would be anothere deterrent to committing murder.

Yes, but we have that pesky Constitutional edict that bans "cruel" punishments to contend with.

At its essence, that is this guy's argument. I don't think its gonna fly, but there it is.

soonerboomer93
8/6/2008, 10:57 AM
Hey...if she was 75 years older I'd have hit her in a New York minute!

fixed

soonerboomer93
8/6/2008, 10:58 AM
they can always find another way to put him to sleep, they can increase the dosage to ensure that he is asleep

Frozen Sooner
8/6/2008, 11:06 AM
Yes, but we have that pesky Constitutional edict that bans "cruel" punishments to contend with.

At its essence, that is this guy's argument. I don't think its gonna fly, but there it is.

Which according to Scalia means we can torture the **** out of him, so long as we don't make it hurt when he dies.

shaun4411
8/6/2008, 11:38 AM
i dont think a painful death is neither cruel or unusual for a convicted murder/rapist. the headache of an impending death doesnt really satisfy either because after the 22 years he's been in, he's used to it. most of them are ready when they lie on the gurney.

why cant a guard just slip some glass in his food?

StoopTroup
8/6/2008, 11:55 AM
I'd like to see him get converted to life with a catch.

His sentence will be converted if he allows a 24/7 video of his existence to be monitored on the internet.

Once that's accomplished you can paypal access to view.

He will not receive any money...the money goes into the victim fund.

He can draw from the fund but can only receive twinkies.

Then we can watch him get really fat.