PDA

View Full Version : Rivals Top 10 Biggest Stadiums - Why aren't we there?

MR2-Sooner86
8/3/2008, 08:53 PM
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=832931

Now according to this site, 82,000 is not bad at all. However, you look down and see...

Penn State Beaver Stadium 107,282
Tennessee Neyland Stadium 102,038
Texas Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium 94,113

So is the stadium reaching the max on expansion? Is there really a reason to expand other than bragging rights? Also, lets say we built a 110,000 seat stadium, could it be filled or would there be a problem finding almost 30,000 more people to fill the seats?

King Crimson
8/3/2008, 09:10 PM
population density. control supply when there is demand, control price. that's why we aren't there. i don't see the need to keep building just to seat 1000,0000.

Shneeg11
8/3/2008, 09:16 PM
population density. control supply when there is demand, control price. that's why we aren't there. i don't see the need to keep building just to seat 100,000.

fixed, unless you actually meant 10,000,000

poke4christ
8/3/2008, 09:22 PM
fixed, unless you actually meant 10,000,000

I think it was done on purpose for exageration. Like saying eleventy billion.

That said, I doesn't OU have a waiting list of like 20k? I've also heard thoughts of trying to bowl in the south (I think it's the south) side despite the switzer center. Anyway, you guys know more than me.

I think the most likely would be adding an upper deck to the north EZ. IMHO, OU could handle it, but it might not be the best fiscal move and might not be the best if OU experiences another time of trouble like during the 90s.

Curly Bill
8/3/2008, 09:32 PM
it might not be the best fiscal move and might not be the best if OU experiences another time of trouble like during the 90s.

Oh, like that could ever happen again. :D

King Crimson
8/3/2008, 09:43 PM

bishes.

Shneeg11
8/3/2008, 09:51 PM
I figured it was an exaggeration, but I wasnt sure

tommieharris91
8/3/2008, 10:14 PM
We could prolly 1,000,000 people to fill the seats for a FB game. It would probably make the tix really cheap too.

Soonerfan88
8/3/2008, 10:23 PM
That said, I doesn't OU have a waiting list of like 20k? I've also heard thoughts of trying to bowl in the south (I think it's the south) side despite the switzer center. Anyway, you guys know more than me.

I think the most likely would be adding an upper deck to the north EZ. IMHO, OU could handle it, but it might not be the best fiscal move and might not be the best if OU experiences another time of trouble like during the 90s.

That waiting list is extremely exaggerated. Many of those on the list are already buying tickets - either someone's extra season or game by game outside. There is rarely a game that you can't easily buy tickets on the street and usually below face so demand really isn't there.

Right now, if you are willing to pay $100 per seat Sooner Club donation, you can get tickets within a year. However, those seats will be in the end zones, probably south. You are right that it isn't a good fiscal move as those seats won't pay for the cost of renovation.

To answer the OP, no there is no reason to expand other than bragging rights.

King Crimson
8/3/2008, 10:41 PM
To answer the OP, no there is no reason to expand other than bragging rights.

exactly. and we don't need that, that's ATM type stuff.

let's keep winning the conference, play for IT, and be happy about it.

sooneron
8/3/2008, 10:51 PM
Can you imagine Lindsey with another 30k fans?

Boomer.....
8/4/2008, 07:44 AM
Can you imagine Lindsey with another 30k fans?

Please, no.

badger
8/4/2008, 09:25 AM
Let's save people time. As with all "top whatever" lists, I will provide my own commentary. Since last time I did three words, this time the challenge is two words to describe each...

10. Rose Bowl, capacity 91,500 (UCLA) --- It's outdated!

9. Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, capacity 92,000. (USC) --- Fairweather fandom.

8. Bryant-Denny Stadium, capacity 92,138 (Bammer) --- It's historic!

7. Tiger Stadium, capacity 92,400. (LSU) --- Dwunk it's.

6. Sanford Stadium, capacity 92,746. (Georgia) --- Between hedges!

5. Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, capacity 94,113. (saxet) --- It sucks.

4. Neyland Stadium, capacity 102,038. (Tennessee)--- It's underachieving.

3. Ohio Stadium, capacity 102,329 (OSU) --- Horseshoe? Hardly.

2. Michigan Stadium, capacity 106,201. (Michigan) --- HAIL! ...phail.

1. Beaver Stadium, capacity 107,282. (Penn State) --- Retire already!

badger
8/4/2008, 09:32 AM
For the record, other stadiums also out-rank us should the list continue beyond 10...

11. Florida, Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, 88,548
12. Auburn, Jordan-Hare Stadium, 87,451
13. Texas A&M, Kyle Field, 82,600
14. Florida State, Doak Campbell Stadium, 82,300
15. Oklahoma, Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, 82,112

If it matters (and I know it does to some of you), stadium capacity does not reflect actual capacity, because we put in extra seats here and there to get up to 84,000+. This would not reflect rankings, as every other stadium in the country (except those that don't fill up ever, like Baylor) do the exact same thing. It should also be of note that we barely outrank the following...

16. Clemson, Memorial Stadium, 81,473
17. Nebraska, Memorial Stadium, 81,067
18. Notre Dame, Notre Dame Stadium, 80,795
19. Wisconsin, Camp Randall Stadium, 80,321

As with all of my lists, nobody matters after Wisconsin :D

Phantasm
8/4/2008, 09:41 AM
what's with all the jumping the fans do at Wisconsin? Is it a cheese curd thing?

badger
8/4/2008, 09:57 AM
what's with all the jumping the fans do at Wisconsin? Is it a cheese curd thing?

Let's let Youtube show us, shall we?
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iOQijdT6NC0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iOQijdT6NC0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
I chose this one of many Youtube videos because I think its funny that some of the players are jumping on the sidelines too as this one shows :D

Really, it just started about the same way that the Angels Rally Monkey did. Some genius played a video of the Ace Ventura monkey with the words "RALLY MONKEY" and it caught on. As was the case with Wisconsin, when somebody decided to play House of Pain's "Jump Around" song...

"It was during a 1998 night game against Purdue and our marketing guys in charge of the sound played it. Now we're known for it."

Madison is basically drunk and stoned 24/7, so if a song tells people to jump, odds are they will jump. Austin's weirdness has nothing on Mad-town.

illinisooner
8/4/2008, 10:22 AM
The Jump Around thing they do at Camp Randall is pretty cool, one of the good "newer" traditions in college football. It's not quite as good as when the fans at Va Tech jump as Enter Sandman plays before the Hokies take the field though. I kind of wish we had something like that, maybe jumping and chanting to The White Stripes "Seven Nation Army"? If anyone watched Euro 2008 they know how awesome it was when the whole stadium was doing that.

poke4christ
8/4/2008, 10:43 AM
Since ticket availability has been mentioned, I'd like to ask a question here. I've considered showing up for a game in Norman and buying a ticket outside the stadium. It seems that the best chance of this for me would be opening day on the 30th. Is this feasible? How high will the demand be and how much would I be able to get a ticket for? I wouldn't mind waiting till after kickoff.

I've kinda wanted to do this for a non-bedlam game for a while. I'd go, root for OU (wouldn't be easy, but I think the atmosphere would get me into it) and check out the new jumbotron. I'd thought about wearing an OSU hat or shirt and being an OSU rooting for OU, but that might not be the smartest move. It would be enough to talk about it with the fans around me.

badger
8/4/2008, 11:01 AM
Since ticket availability has been mentioned, I'd like to ask a question here. I've considered showing up for a game in Norman and buying a ticket outside the stadium. It seems that the best chance of this for me would be opening day on the 30th. Is this feasible? How high will the demand be and how much would I be able to get a ticket for? I wouldn't mind waiting till after kickoff.

I've kinda wanted to do this for a non-OU-OSU game for a while. I'd go, root for OU (wouldn't be easy, but I think the atmosphere would get me into it) and check out the new jumbotron. I'd thought about wearing an OSU hat or shirt and being an OSU rooting for OU, but that might not be the smartest move. It would be enough to talk about it with the fans around me.

It's ok, pokie. Texas fans walk Norman streets on gameday with burnt orange shirts blazing. People don't chastize them or anything (everyone's happy on gameday in Norman) but people definitely stare. So, as long as you don't mind being stared at, don't expect this to turn into a bar fight a la OKC where you get your nuts cut off or anything :D

bstuff1979
8/4/2008, 12:06 PM
T. Boone Pickens doesn't like winners. That's why OU isn't playing in front of 100k.

lindscy
8/4/2008, 12:21 PM

I've kinda wanted to do this for a non-OU-OSU game for a while. I'd go, root for OU (wouldn't be easy, but I think the atmosphere would get me into it) and check out the new jumbotron. I'd thought about wearing an OSU hat or shirt and being an OSU rooting for OU, but that might not be the smartest move. It would be enough to talk about it with the fans around me.

I've never been to a game in Norman where I couldn't buy a ticket outside the stadium (including the Nebraska game during the 2000 NC season). And sporting your OSU gear while cheering for OU wouldn't be a bad thing unless you spouted Bedlam tomfoolery. You might encounter some fans who will give you a hard time, but most will appreciate the gesture.

The Maestro
8/4/2008, 01:49 PM
Well, we seem to be winning on a pretty regular basis with the stadium the size it is. Maybe Michigan should downsize.

birddog
8/4/2008, 02:01 PM
I kind of wish we had something like that, maybe jumping and chanting to The White Stripes "Seven Nation Army"? If anyone watched Euro 2008 they know how awesome it was when the whole stadium was doing that.

there are alot of things i wish we could copy from the european soccer culture( haha, bring on the riot jokes 'cause no one's ever done that before) but it seems like we are too self-conscious as a fanbase to do anything but yell boomer or sooner.

birddog
8/4/2008, 02:08 PM
here's one i'd like 80k + to sing on gamedays....

if i had the wings of a sparrow
and the dirty arse of a crow
i'd fly over austin tomorrow
and ****e on the bastards below
****e on ****e on
****e on the bastards below below!
****e on ****e on
****e on the bastards below!

sub in the location for the visiting team. yes, i know texas doesn't play in norman, but it would still be the first place i'd fly.

badger
8/4/2008, 02:23 PM
Safe for work edition:

if i had the wings of a sparrow
and the cackling voice of a crow
i'd fly over ND tomorrow
and sing to the irish below
(impersonating Brady Quinn) Now I'm dumb! Now I'm dumb
I'd sing to the irish you blow, you blow!
(impersonating Brady Quinn) Now I'm dumb! Now I'm dumb
You're stuck with Weis so you blow!

Reference:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BTqgp6jKbqE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BTqgp6jKbqE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SicEmBaylor
8/4/2008, 02:40 PM
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=832931

Now according to this site, 82,000 is not bad at all. However, you look down and see...

Penn State Beaver Stadium 107,282
Tennessee Neyland Stadium 102,038
Texas Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium 94,113

So is the stadium reaching the max on expansion? Is there really a reason to expand other than bragging rights? Also, lets say we built a 110,000 seat stadium, could it be filled or would there be a problem finding almost 30,000 more people to fill the seats?

They screwed up our seating capacity. Ours is 55k not 50k.

tommieharris91
8/4/2008, 02:41 PM
They screwed up our seating capacity. Ours is 55k not 50k.

You guys never fill it with your own fans, though.

illinisooner
8/4/2008, 04:36 PM
there are alot of things i wish we could copy from the european soccer culture( haha, bring on the riot jokes 'cause no one's ever done that before) but it seems like we are too self-conscious as a fanbase to do anything but yell boomer or sooner.

Haha yeah, good luck getting the whole stadium to start singing (Boomer! Sooner! doesn't count, sadly) and chanting. A&M fans do the hissing/whistling thing, but that's about it...if we did the clever little chants I think it'd be pretty cool, especially the player specific ones. I've always enjoyed this one, to the tune of "My darlin' Clementine":

Build a bonfire, build a bonfire,
Put the Horns on top!
Put the Cowboys in the middle,
And burn the ****ing lot!

You'll always hear SEC fans talking about how superior their atmosphere is (I tend to agree) compared to other conferences, so I wonder how we could get a better (more intense?) atmosphere in Owen Field. Our intro video and entrance is pretty cool, but it's no Virginia Tech or Clemson. Of course, our fans may not be as crazy/insane/drunk as SEC fans are for their home games! Maybe before the "There's only one!" video plays, we could play Seven Nation Army and have everyone jump around and chant the tune.

SicEmBaylor
8/4/2008, 05:59 PM
You guys never fill it with your own fans, though.

True enough.

Fraggle145
8/4/2008, 09:03 PM
Haha yeah, good luck getting the whole stadium to start singing (Boomer! Sooner! doesn't count, sadly) and chanting. A&M fans do the hissing/whistling thing, but that's about it...if we did the clever little chants I think it'd be pretty cool, especially the player specific ones. I've always enjoyed this one, to the tune of "My darlin' Clementine":

Put the Horns on top!

You'll always hear SEC fans talking about how superior their atmosphere is (I tend to agree) compared to other conferences, so I wonder how we could get a better (more intense?) atmosphere in Owen Field. Our intro video and entrance is pretty cool, but it's no Virginia Tech or Clemson. Of course, our fans may not be as crazy/insane/drunk as SEC fans are for their home games! Maybe before the "There's only one!" video plays, we could play Seven Nation Army and have everyone jump around and chant the tune.

I think honestly our fanbase in the stadium is older and less drunk, which is pretty much it. For example, UGA has one large student section and then 3 other sections dispersed throughout the stadium. Also their tailgating is better (ours is getting there slowly, but surely) and starts earlier, hence there are more drunk and rowdy people come game time. They have more night games and they are an hour ahead hence more time for drinky.

I think a lot of those songs that happen are sort of accidents that are a hit with the fans...We may get one eventually, but we have a lot more of the old school traditions that more than make up for it in my opinion. Another example UGA has the Dawg Walk and the lead trumpet plays from the third deck before the game and Larry Munson calls the dawgs, and they ring the church bell when they win. And a lot of cool older traditions as we have the drum major, the ponies, etc... A lot of the new schools are looking for ways to be us and make hype hence the new stuff.

(the reason I use UGA a lot here is I have been to a lot of UGA games)

Also its easy to get tickets before a game, I do it every home game and it is typically less than or equal to face.

A Sooner in Texas
8/4/2008, 11:11 PM

Put the Horns on top!

Change it to SOONER Nation Army and get Jack and Meg to play it live every home game and I'd say you got a winner.

BoomerSoonerGoOU
8/5/2008, 12:24 AM
How about singing Oklahoma when the Pride does pregame? Even singing Boomer Sooner would be a start. It isn't hard. Imagine how awesome that would be. If anyone's seen pregame videos of Big 10 bands, you probably could hear the crowd singing over the band.