PDA

View Full Version : Removing Wood Paneling

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/3/2008, 06:21 PM
Years ago, someone hung wood paneling in my living room. The lady who lived here before me painted over it. I was planning on painting over it again, but I noticed there is a part under a window that has cracked and is bubbling a bit.

So now, I just want to rip it all off the walls. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? If it's pretty easy to do, I will do it myself instead of hiring someone to do it.

OUHOMER
8/3/2008, 06:23 PM
if they nailed it on, it should be easy. if they used liquid nails your screwed. it will tear the paper off the sheet rock.

olevetonahill
8/3/2008, 07:51 PM
if they nailed it on, it should be easy. if they used liquid nails your screwed. it will tear the paper off the sheet rock.

It was prolly a combination
I would just paint over it
Or you Might try to take a small piece Off somewhere Its not to Noticeable and see what happens

StoopTroup
8/3/2008, 08:41 PM
I'm a gambler...

Tear it down.

Seriously....

If it's really old it will probably come easy.

The glue they used to use wasn't as good as liquid nails.

olevetonahill
8/3/2008, 09:02 PM
Liquid Nail been around a Long time
But Holly heres a site that Might help
http://www.liquidnails.com/faqs/index.jsp

Turd_Ferguson
8/3/2008, 09:02 PM
Pump some acetylene and oxygen inside the walls and then light it. That should remove it.

VeeJay
8/3/2008, 09:53 PM
Get rid of that stuff.

I had an office about 10 years ago that had unpainted wood paneling. It had years of cigarette smoke embedded in it before "clean air" policies took over.

I tried to clean the walls, just wiping them down with paper towels and Formula 409. The crap coming off there was black soot. I probably would find a better way to deal with it than painting over it.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/3/2008, 10:07 PM
Well I have a guy coming over on Tuesday to put down some flooring in my dining room. I'm gonna have him look at it to see the best way to get rid of it.

StoopTroup
8/3/2008, 10:22 PM
Probably best to get an expert to pull your stuff down.

Turd_Ferguson
8/3/2008, 10:23 PM
Probably best to get an expert to pull your stuff down.:hot::pop:

Curly Bill
8/3/2008, 10:25 PM
Probably best to get an expert to pull your stuff down.

...and where would someone find such an "expert?"

I mean in case I have "paneling" issues?

Turd_Ferguson
8/3/2008, 10:26 PM
...and where would someone find such an "expert?"

I mean in case I have "paneling" issues?nm

StoopTroup
8/3/2008, 11:51 PM
We'll know on Tuesday. :D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/8/2008, 08:51 AM
Well, it's going to be a bigger deal than I thought. That wall has termite damage. The little bastards have started eating my wall.

Soooo, Terminix is coming to kill them. Then I will have to get someone to fix the wall with new sheetrock. Hopefully they haven't eaten all the studs on that wall. The good news is that it is just that one wall they've attacked.

StoopTroup
8/8/2008, 10:34 AM
Well, it's going to be a bigger deal than I thought. That wall has termite damage. The little bastards have started eating my wall.

Soooo, Terminix is coming to kill them. Then I will have to get someone to fix the wall with new sheetrock. Hopefully they haven't eaten all the studs on that wall. The good news is that it is just that one wall they've attacked.

Was the paneling stuck to the sheetrock paper or did it come away as I thought it might?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/8/2008, 11:31 AM
Was the paneling stuck to the sheetrock paper or did it come away as I thought it might?I have not investigated that far.

StoopTroup
8/8/2008, 11:33 AM
I have not investigated that far.

I just figured there might be a few places you might see it stick but unless they rolled that stuff on thick...I figure you'll just have to be a little careful when removing the panels.

Jacie
8/8/2008, 01:37 PM
I guess the termites didn't touch the paneling . . .

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/8/2008, 01:39 PM
I guess the termites didn't touch the paneling . . .
Evidently termites will eat through anything until right below the surface. So in some places they ate through everything except the top layer of paneling.

SoonerInKCMO
8/8/2008, 01:40 PM
You should probably just move.

VeeJay
8/8/2008, 10:23 PM
SBSB - I have a lovely place just outside Ft. Lauderdale with no panelling to worry about. Can you do a quick relo and assume my mortgage?

StoopTroup
8/8/2008, 10:24 PM
To bad it's not near Daytona.

I have friends there.

The drive to Norman on Gamedays would really suck though.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/9/2008, 08:53 AM
SBSB - I have a lovely place just outside Ft. Lauderdale with no panelling to worry about. Can you do a quick relo and assume my mortgage?I don't like the beach in Ft. Lauderdale, so no