PDA

View Full Version : Portion size - a modest proposal

Howzit
3/13/2004, 09:19 PM
Excuse me while I rant, but I am bored and have nothing else to do at the moment.

One of my pet peeves is portion size at most restaraunts. I'm not a huge guy, but at roughly 6'0" and 195 I'm not tiny either, yet most restaraunts serve portion sizes that I really don't need.

Case in point, Chili's Chicken Tacos. I like Chili's Chicken Tacos and we eat there fairly often since they are right the corner from the house. But an order is three tacos with rice and beans. I don't need three tacos with rice and beans, I need two tacos with nothing else. Can I order two tacos? No. When I asked about ordering ala carte they offered to bring me four tacos with no rice and beans. Hello? I only want two tacos! Not an option.

Now, I am not trying to impinge on restaraunt margins, so let me offer the following proposal.

I can always use more beer. Give me smaller serving size and more beer. Keep your rice. Keep your beans. Keep your third friggin taco. And give me larger beers. I'm not trying to rip you off. Figure it out where you come out ok and make your draft beer glasses bigger.

Put it on the menu. Regular order or Howzit beer option?

There. I feel better. Time for another beer.

Frozen Sooner
3/13/2004, 09:20 PM
And here I thought that this was going to be a thread about restaurant owners eating their children.

Howzit
3/13/2004, 09:27 PM
Sorry, should have just left it at proposal.

I'm not too swift.

Frozen Sooner
3/13/2004, 09:31 PM
Boo.

:lol:

PrideTrombone
3/13/2004, 11:28 PM
The thing is, people want those larger portions to feel like they're getting their money's worth. Then, to further feel like they got their money's worth, they force the entire meal down. How do I know?

I do it all the time. :)

critical_phil
8/22/2007, 11:34 AM
good news for Mjcpr.

Howzit likes the smaller portions.

sooneron
8/22/2007, 11:38 AM
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2006/10/fatG_336x450.jpg
aint nothin wrong wit chillys porshun!!!

IronSooner
8/22/2007, 11:38 AM
Aren't TGIFriday's and Applebee's scaling down their portions to "lunch size" or something like that? I read something about it a while back and it seems like Friday's is advertising it now.

How much beer do they give you? Seems like a pint should be the standard serving size.

JohnnyMack
8/22/2007, 12:28 PM
Yet another example of why we're rolling downhill like a snowball headed towards hell.

Original bottles of Coca-Cola were around 7 ounces or so. Then it was 12 ounce cans. Now it's 20 ounce bottles. Have you seen the size of a large drink at a fast food restaurant? It's more than ridiculous.

Mjcpr
8/22/2007, 12:36 PM
Yet another example of why we're rolling downhill like a snowball headed towards hell.

You mind if I use that in a song I'm writing?

JohnnyMack
8/22/2007, 12:37 PM
You mind if I use that in a song I'm writing?

I expect royalties.

critical_phil
8/22/2007, 12:50 PM
this thread has a modest-sized penis.

Beef
8/22/2007, 12:51 PM
I'm not a huge guy, but at roughly 6'0" and 195 I'm not tiny either
I'm 6'0" and 194. Lardy.

JohnnyMack
8/22/2007, 12:57 PM
this thread has a modest-sized penis.

[Sic'Em]How you doin'?[/Sic'Em]

royalfan5
I agree. Portion sizes have gotten too big. Especially when you go to places that give you free bread and then you fill up on bread and feel like you should eat all the food to get your money's worth, and as a result you don't end up drinking nearly enough beer. That always happens when I go to a brew pub, I get stuffed and end up drinking one beer.

Pricetag
I'm 6'0" and 194. Lardy.

Keep in mind that "roughly 6'0" means 5-9.

OU4LIFE
8/22/2007, 01:09 PM
I'm 6'0" and 194. Lardy.

I think I have a leg about that size...

JohnnyMack
8/22/2007, 01:11 PM
I agree. Portion sizes have gotten too big. Especially when you go to places that give you free bread and then you fill up on bread and feel like you should eat all the food to get your money's worth, and as a result you don't end up drinking nearly enough beer. That always happens when I go to a brew pub, I get stuffed and end up drinking one beer.

Rookie.

royalfan5
8/22/2007, 01:12 PM
Rookie.
I just really love bread. It's like crack to me.

Boomer.....
8/22/2007, 01:16 PM
I read somewhere that restaurant plates were 3 servings of food. I have always heard to split your food in half right when you get it and take the extra home.

sanantoniosooner
8/22/2007, 01:21 PM
It's good for a snack on the drive home.

Ike
8/22/2007, 02:56 PM
My wife and I like On The Border. We have recently implemented our own version of the Howzit beer option. Which is that we order one dish to split, and then drink more beer.

sooner_born_1960
8/22/2007, 03:06 PM
My wife and I like On The Border. We have recently implemented our own version of the Howzit beer option. Which is that we order one dish to split, and then drink more beer.
But you're a PhD. You can't expect these (us) peons to figure that out.

C&CDean
8/22/2007, 03:08 PM

Dude, you may me smart, but your taste in restaurants is the suck.

sooneron
8/22/2007, 03:09 PM
I was waiting for the -

:dean:chain restaurants are teh suck :dean:

OUinFLA
8/22/2007, 03:25 PM
I always eat everything they serve me with the meal.
I never know when Im going to be able to afford to eat out again.
Probably the next time Howzit visits Florida.

btw, thanks again. Come back soon, I'm getting a bit famished.

Harry Beanbag
8/22/2007, 05:00 PM
Anybody ever been to Claim Jumper? The portions they give you there are downright revolting. We're talking like 20 pounds of food for a single entree.

Rogue
8/22/2007, 05:47 PM
I'm 6'0 193.5#. We're all like the same dude.

I'm stuck between being used to a kickin' metabolism and agreeing with this thread. I'm not above sharing, or taking food home, but I've yet to meet a plate of food big enough to do both!

And chain food is usually teh succ, except I will say that Famous Dave's BBQ is teh win!

goodonya
8/22/2007, 05:51 PM
The Houston gang will understand but for you tourists if you don't like large portions stay away from Pappasitos (Pappas Texmex brand) for lunch. For about $8 you get a plate that is the size of the Wimbledon women's trophy filled with approximately 4 lbs of lunch.

I love it when my colleagues come in from Russia, KL, BA, or Dubai and I take them to lunch there. Our guy from Mumbai literally took a picture of his plate before he ate it to take back to our office there and put it in the kitchen.

critical_phil
8/22/2007, 06:45 PM
Anybody ever been to Claim Jumper? The portions they give you there are downright revolting. We're talking like 20 pounds of food for a single entree.

we have no Claim Jumper in OK. i loved that place when i lived in SoCal.

Marshall Dillon, your table is ready..

i used to frequent the one near the Los Alamitos racetrack. deelishus burgers.

Harry Beanbag
8/22/2007, 06:55 PM
we have no Claim Jumper in OK. i loved that place when i lived in SoCal.

Marshall Dillon, your table is ready..

i used to frequent the one near the Los Alamitos racetrack. deelishus burgers.

I've only been three times. Once of my own free will and twice for business lunches. The food is good at the beginning, but after chowing down on a 12" diameter by 6" deep chicken pot pie or a rib plate consisting of the ribcages of three full grown sows you just feel like vomiting.

soonerboomer93
8/22/2007, 07:07 PM
Excuse me while I rant, but I am bored and have nothing else to do at the moment.

One of my pet peeves is portion size at most restaraunts. I'm not a huge guy, but at roughly 6'0" and 195 I'm not tiny either, yet most restaraunts serve portion sizes that I really don't need.

Case in point, Chili's Chicken Tacos. I like Chili's Chicken Tacos and we eat there fairly often since they are right the corner from the house. But an order is three tacos with rice and beans. I don't need three tacos with rice and beans, I need two tacos with nothing else. Can I order two tacos? No. When I asked about ordering ala carte they offered to bring me four tacos with no rice and beans. Hello? I only want two tacos! Not an option.

Now, I am not trying to impinge on restaraunt margins, so let me offer the following proposal.

I can always use more beer. Give me smaller serving size and more beer. Keep your rice. Keep your beans. Keep your third friggin taco. And give me larger beers. I'm not trying to rip you off. Figure it out where you come out ok and make your draft beer glasses bigger.

Put it on the menu. Regular order or Howzit beer option?

There. I feel better. Time for another beer.

so you went with the 4 taco option and made 2 meals out of it?

soonerboomer93
8/22/2007, 07:09 PM

Original bottles of Coca-Cola were around 7 ounces or so. Then it was 12 ounce cans. Now it's 20 ounce bottles. Have you seen the size of a large drink at a fast food restaurant? It's more than ridiculous.

over here, it's 250ml, 500ml and 1.5 liters

I'm working to cut back and normally have only a 250ml can (about 8oz) a day

Preservation Parcels
8/22/2007, 07:22 PM
We have recently implemented our own version of the Howzit beer option. Which is that we order one dish to split

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner! My husband and I share one dinner at Mexican restaurants, too. After chips and salsa, half of anything they serve is more than enough. They'll even split it onto two plates in the kitchen if asked nicely. A generous tip helps, too.

To me, the scariest restaurants are the all-you-can-eat buffets. The food usually isn't good quality; it's just massive amounts. Just like the "must be taller than this" requirements for amusement rides, I think there should be a "must be narrower than this" requirement for entrance to one of those places.

A classmate of my husband's used to whine, "I can't help it; it's my glands." Apparently, her girth had nothing to do with the buckets of mashed potatoes with a gravy chaser that she put away.

end of rant :twinkies:

Sooner24
8/22/2007, 09:59 PM
I'm 6'0 193.5#. We're all like the same dude.

I'm stuck between being used to a kickin' metabolism and agreeing with this thread. I'm not above sharing, or taking food home, but I've yet to meet a plate of food big enough to do both!

And chain food is usually teh succ, except I will say that Famous Dave's BBQ is teh win!

Famous Dave's ribs are teh win for sure. http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif

OCUDad
8/22/2007, 10:09 PM
I'm 6'0 193.5#. We're all like the same dude.Anybody that size who measures his weight in half-pounds is hiding an eating disorder.

OzarkSooner
8/22/2007, 10:21 PM
It's all a vast conspiracy to get the word GINORMOUS in the dictionary!!

slickdawg
8/22/2007, 10:27 PM
Don't forget folks, this is Howzit.

I think Howzit was really talking about modest *enis size.

proud gonzo
8/22/2007, 10:58 PM
I always eat everything they serve me with the meal.
I never know when Im going to be able to afford to eat out again.
Probably the next time Howzit visits Florida.

btw, thanks again. Come back soon, I'm getting a bit famished. so basically, you're on the Morgan Spurlock diet?

Jimminy Crimson
8/22/2007, 11:01 PM
I just really love bread. It's like crack to me.

You could always drink your bread... :cool:

http://www.epica-awards.org/assets/epica/2005/winners/films/screenshots/images/05512_guinness12.jpg

royalfan5
8/23/2007, 10:20 AM
You could always drink your bread... :cool:

http://www.epica-awards.org/assets/epica/2005/winners/films/screenshots/images/05512_guinness12.jpg
I do drink my bread, but you can't butter liquid bread very well.

proud gonzo
8/23/2007, 10:48 AM
melt the butter, duh :rolleyes:

frankensooner
8/23/2007, 11:31 AM
So, that is how they get butterbeer, no wonder Winky was always soused.

Pricetag
8/23/2007, 01:14 PM
Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner! My husband and I share one dinner at Mexican restaurants, too. After chips and salsa, half of anything they serve is more than enough. They'll even split it onto two plates in the kitchen if asked nicely. A generous tip helps, too.

I was just about to ask if any of the entree splitters get dirty looks from the waiters.