PDA

View Full Version : I walked out of my job last night.

boomersooner28
8/2/2008, 12:11 PM
Then, after I cooled down, I went back in. Only reason being is the fact that the benefits are great and I have my first child on the way. My wife said she would have freaked out a bit about me quiting, but would have not blamed me at all!

You see, I should have seniority over about 95% of the people in my department. I started working for this company in 2001 when they were making $13 million a year. I busted my *** for them, was working OT EVERY single night back in those days because we were understaffed. Now, the company makes $120 million a year and has hired a bunch of flying dickwheels from out of state to come in and run **** and I get it in the pooper EVERY weekend. All I have ever done for that damn company is show up to work, do my job (do my job VERY well mind you), and not complain/bitch/whine/moan. But, the whiners get what they want when they want it. I even gave up my weekends off for this place back in February, due to "business needs." I get NO RESPECT, NONE, ZERO, ZILCH! And it pisses me the hell off! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oh, and what started all of this is the fact that when it was my time to go home, everyone on my shift got to go home EXCEPT me! I was supposed the the 2nd one out the door, but instead they let two other individuals leave before me.

StoopTroup
8/2/2008, 12:21 PM
You better get that anger in check or all that you've done is worthless.

You might need to re-invent yourself a little is all.

I can relate...I'm sure lots of us here can relate.

You probably made the right choice by going back in.

Check this book out if you haven't ever seen it.

http://www.whomovedmycheese.com/ (http://www.whomovedmycheese.com/)

tommieharris91
8/2/2008, 01:00 PM
I've been told to make sure you document every good thing you do for your employer. Then, when you feel underappreciated, tell your management that this is what you have done for the company, and that you want a raise/better conditions. Time for you to step up.

boomersooner28
8/2/2008, 05:35 PM
TH, I agree. That is my next step.

Okla-homey
8/3/2008, 07:05 AM
TH, I agree. That is my next step.

or not.

I generally believe people should feel a reasonable degree of loyalty to a company, supervisor, boss, etc.. When they become frustrated or even slightly embittered, its probably their heart telling them its time to move on. Sticking around usually makes it worse. People owe themselves that, and yes, just as importantly, they actually owe that to their employer too.

We like to say loyalty is a two way street and that it runs both ways, but in actual practice, its really doesn't work that way. Its not that management is evil, its just that sometimes the interests of the company and the people who own it are in direct conflict with the interests of a given employee. There's often no way to reconcile the two.

Here's one other important thing to keep in mind though. Sometimes, perceived affronts are just that. Perceived. Folks should try to understand the big picture before allowing themselves to dwell on a situation that results in their getting their guts all knotted and twisted. We should all remember, we are just people and none of us are irreplaceable. Even when we have previously given great service that helped the company become more successful.

Sometimes business people make decisions based on what's best for the company and don't intend to hurt anyone's feelings, but its almost impossible to run a successful company without doing so occasionally.

To recap, start looking, unless you feel you can honestly feel you can put this pent up angst behind you, swallow your pride, and move on feeling good about your current situation.

Afterall, you don't want to end up in the dark and dank basement "office" without your red Swingline stapler because you just might snap.;)

StoopTroup
8/3/2008, 07:29 AM
Get the old movie...12 O'Clock High with Gregory Peck (1949).

It's a classic movie and will whip you into shape so you can get back to work. :D

I believe it was used at Harvard for a time to show how tough leadership can be.

It's a War out there in the Corporate Jungle. :D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041996/ (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041996/)

"12 O'Clock High" tells the story of an American Bomber Group low on morale and performance after heavy losses over the skies of Germany. General Frank Savage, a desk bound staff chief, is sent to the group after the Bomber Commander is relieved of duty. At first encountering resistance, Savage enventually shows the pilots how to take pride in their unit and serve above and beyond the standards of the Army Air Corps.

tommieharris91
8/3/2008, 11:32 AM
or not.

I generally believe people should feel a reasonable degree of loyalty to a company, supervisor, boss, etc.. When they become frustrated or even slightly embittered, its probably their heart telling them its time to move on. Sticking around usually makes it worse. People owe themselves that, and yes, just as importantly, they actually owe that to their employer too.

We like to say loyalty is a two way street and that it runs both ways, but in actual practice, its really doesn't work that way. Its not that management is evil, its just that sometimes the interests of the company and the people who own it are in direct conflict with the interests of a given employee. There's often no way to reconcile the two.

Here's one other important thing to keep in mind though. Sometimes, perceived affronts are just that. Perceived. Folks should try to understand the big picture before allowing themselves to dwell on a situation that results in their getting their guts all knotted and twisted. We should all remember, we are just people and none of us are irreplaceable. Even when we have previously given great service that helped the company become more successful.

Sometimes business people make decisions based on what's best for the company and don't intend to hurt anyone's feelings, but its almost impossible to run a successful company without doing so occasionally.

To recap, start looking, unless you feel you can honestly feel you can put this pent up angst behind you, swallow your pride, and move on feeling good about your current situation.

Afterall, you don't want to end up in the dark and dank basement "office" without your red Swingline stapler because you just might snap.;)

While your at it, go to salary.com and see how well you're being compensated compared to others doing your job. Show your boss if you're making under the average.

Get the old movie...12 O'Clock High with Gregory Peck (1949).

It's a classic movie and will whip you into shape so you can get back to work. :D

I believe it was used at Harvard for a time to show how tough leadership can be.

It's a War out there in the Corporate Jungle. :D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041996/ (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041996/)

I'd also recommend the more recent classic "Office Space" if you haven't seen it already.

Sooner Eclipse
8/3/2008, 01:44 PM
I gotta agree w homey.

The company I work for has been losing massive ammts of money recently mainly due to the weak dollar.

I was informed a week ago friday that my job had been eliminated and that I had till that Monday to decide If I wanted to move my family 2K miles to NJ for a job that technically is a promotion but with no more money, no company car, a 70 mile one way commute, and a job that would mean sitting in a cubicle all day long.

I initially accepted the job even though I couldn't talk to the guy who would be my manager or his manager (vacations) during the time given. I finally got the guy to call me on tuesday from Sweden, and I knew within 30 seconds of hanging up that I should decline the job/move. The knot in my stomach went away and I've felt at peace with it since. I'll find something even though its not the time to be looking.

There is no such thing as loyalty, only business decisions. I am among the highest rated persons in this job at this company yet they decided to remove me because of geography and a little less seniority. I think they were betting on my loyalty to take the job offered. They were upset with me that I when I called back on tuesday and declined the job and tried to convince me to take it, even though they wouldn't come off their stance on pay/location/benefits.

I've got some good lines on jobs locally. And if nothing else works out before my severance runs out in a year, we'll use it as an indication that God wants us to move back to OK. Being in a place that has lots of family and acquaintances is always better that being alone.

StoopTroup
8/3/2008, 02:00 PM
Unfortunately the days of staying with a Company and retiring are over.

Thus...Companies like that shouldn't expect any Loyalty IMO. Especially the ones who think the Top Brass deserve Million Dollar bonuses for running their Company in the Red while treating the employees like crap.

If you can find someone to pay you better and give you better benefits you should. Of course you may want to consider the amount of opportunity there is out there in case the new Company isn't well established.

You can play it safe and put up with whiners or move on and stay fresh.

If your young...maybe you should look around.

Make sure you are able to continue to provide for your Family first though.

Okla-homey
8/3/2008, 02:07 PM
I gotta agree w homey.

The company I work for has been losing massive ammts of money recently mainly due to the weak dollar.

I was informed a week ago friday that my job had been eliminated and that I had till that Monday to decide If I wanted to move my family 2K miles to NJ for a job that technically is a promotion but with no more money, no company car, a 70 mile one way commute, and a job that would mean sitting in a cubicle all day long.

I initially accepted the job even though I couldn't talk to the guy who would be my manager or his manager (vacations) during the time given. I finally got the guy to call me on tuesday from Sweden, and I knew within 30 seconds of hanging up that I should decline the job/move. The knot in my stomach went away and I've felt at peace with it since. I'll find something even though its not the time to be looking.

There is no such thing as loyalty, only business decisions. I am among the highest rated persons in this job at this company yet they decided to remove me because of geography and a little less seniority. I think they were betting on my loyalty to take the job offered. They were upset with me that I when I called back on tuesday and declined the job and tried to convince me to take it, even though they wouldn't come off their stance on pay/location/benefits.

I've got some good lines on jobs locally. And if nothing else works out before my severance runs out in a year, we'll use it as an indication that God wants us to move back to OK. Being in a place that has lots of family and acquaintances is always better that being alone.

For the record, I've yet to meet anyone who "moved home to Oklahoma" who admitted they regretted their decision. Sure, their kids may have griped because they had to leave schools and friends, but you know what? They make new friends and the new school becomes "their" school after a semester.

On the whole, its a no-brainer in terms of the overall cost of living, including how far your housing dollar goes here, overall quality of life, and being close to kith and kin. What's more, our people genuinely reflect and display a willingness to accept new folks (unless they don't speak English;) ) and that friendliness is not just Chamber of Commerce hype. It's real. All that and the fact Oklahoma has a big fat "Now Hiring" sign on virtually all her industries.

In short, if you decide to pull the trigger and return to Oklahoma, you very probably won't regret it and you and yours will be better off for it. Tulsa metro, OKC metro, even smaller markets in southeastern or western OK. You cain't hardly miss podnuh!

KC//CRIMSON
8/3/2008, 02:35 PM
Then, after I cooled down, I went back in. Only reason being is the fact that the benefits are great and I have my first child on the way. My wife said she would have freaked out a bit about me quiting, but would have not blamed me at all!

You see, I should have seniority over about 95% of the people in my department. I started working for this company in 2001 when they were making $13 million a year. I busted my *** for them, was working OT EVERY single night back in those days because we were understaffed. Now, thecompany makes $120 million a year and has hired a bunch of flying dickwheels from out of state to come in and run **** and I get it in the pooper EVERY weekend. All I have ever done for that damn company is show up to work, do my job (do my job VERY well mind you), and not complain/bitch/whine/moan. But, the whiners get what they want when they want it. I even gave up my weekends off for this place back in February, due to "business needs." I get NO RESPECT, NONE, ZERO, ZILCH! And it pisses me the hell off! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oh, and what started all of this is the fact that when it was my time to go home, everyone on my shift got to go home EXCEPT me! I was supposed the the 2nd one out the door, but instead they let two other individuals leave before me.

Sounds like you need to keep on working for this company and be looking for better opportunities while doing so.

Bottom line is: Nobody cares about you or how unhappy you are in your work life. Your Supervisor doesn't care, your Mananger doesn't care, and your Company's CEO doesn't care. The only people on the planet that give a crap about you is your family. The best you can hope for is to work for someone who values your service and you as an employee. Easier said than done.

Good luck.

StoopTroup
8/3/2008, 02:37 PM
Maybe we all should get together and take over the World.

Who's IN?

badger
8/3/2008, 02:56 PM

You see, I should have seniority over about 95% of the people in my department. I started working for this company in 2001 when they were making $13 million a year. I busted my *** for them, was working OT EVERY single night back in those days because we were understaffed. Now, the company makes $120 million a year and has hired a bunch of flying dickwheels from out of state to come in and run **** and I get it in the pooper EVERY weekend. All I have ever done for that damn company is show up to work, do my job (do my job VERY well mind you), and not complain/bitch/whine/moan. But, the whiners get what they want when they want it. I even gave up my weekends off for this place back in February, due to "business needs." I get NO RESPECT, NONE, ZERO, ZILCH! And it pisses me the hell off! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I think everyone has days like this. An OU professor for life management (senior elective) said it was important for everyone to establish a "go to hell" fund - a fund that includes enough money to live on for about six months - so that anytime you have moments like the one you experienced, you could literally say "Go to hell!" and have the time and resources to find a new job.

I never took this class, but it sounded like a lot of fun.

Good luck with your job. Try to remember why you worked so hard for this company in the first place - was it because you were surrounded by good co-workers? Good hours? Good benefits? Good salary? If the good outweighs the bad, then the bad times are worth enduring for the good times.

If you do not know why you're working so hard for them, perhaps you should answer this first. If there is no answer, then you probably should look to move on.

pergdaddy
8/4/2008, 08:25 AM
I was in the same position Boomer. I worked for a bank in the Ohio Valley. I literally, except for a couple, worked hard all the time. I had maybe 9 or 10 different responsibilities (I'm an accountant). But I kept getting passed over for promotions and "good" raises. We had a girl that would call off every Monday from "headaches" and used every bit of her personal and vacation days......by the end of February and still called off throughout the year. I had two different bosses that could only be described as "flying dickwheels in the magical world of Dickwheelistan". I went back, got my bachelor's several years ago all while maintaining my responsibilities, being married, having children, building a house. I'm not a perfect person and I don't want accolades, just a little respect. Got my degree, gave the company loyalty and didn't leave. I finally got to the point where I was angry and p o'd all the time and I was taking it out on my wife and kids. I was getting to the point where I was becoming hard to live with. I realized it was time to put up or shut up.
A job opened up in a local health insurance company for a senior accountant (which the bank WOULD NOT promote me too). I sent a resume, had two interviews, and here I am today as a senior accountant.
When I was announcing I was leaving, my old boss who was in a different position now, told me that they were surprised I stayed as long as I did after I got my degree. So, put it all together, and I feel they were purposely not promoting me because they thought I would leave at any time. I only left because I felt like I was falling out of favor for something. My old boss has since left the bank too. And they lady I did more work than has since been promoted to a senior accountant.

SHort of it, maintain your job for the income, but I would start looking for a change. The grass isn't always greener on the other side, but you will never know if you don't try. I'm 31, so I can afford to take chances with my career right now. I'm ever so glad I did. I'm much happier and I have a much better job.

GOod luck and prayers be with you. WOrking a job that constantly peeses you off is not an easy thing to deal with.

OU4LIFE
8/4/2008, 08:53 AM

Who's IN?

I'd love to, but I have a golf schedule.

JohnnyMack
8/4/2008, 09:21 AM

Who's IN?

Meet me at Caz's for chicken fried steak, we'll talk.

OUWxGuesser
8/4/2008, 09:34 AM
http://www.impawards.com/1993/posters/falling_down.jpg

StoopTroup
8/4/2008, 10:07 AM
Meet me at Caz's for chicken fried steak, we'll talk.

I'm not allowed to eat at places with hemp furnishings.

I'll allegic.

OU4LIFE
8/4/2008, 10:17 AM
I'm not allowed to eat at places with hemp furnishings.

I'll allegic.

you'll allegic?

excellent.

StoopTroup
8/4/2008, 10:18 AM
I break out in felonies.

OU4LIFE
8/4/2008, 10:44 AM
are you freestyling?

StoopTroup
8/4/2008, 10:48 AM
are you freestyling?

Yep. :D

I like golf too. :D

http://www.freestyle-frisbee.com/Images5/jj.jpg

Animal Mother
8/4/2008, 03:41 PM

Who's IN?

Oh hell no you won’t!!! I started that in motion 16 years ago and I haven’t finished!!! Back down off me now!!! I can work with you but I have a lengthy list of SOBS that gotta go!!!

First foremost and always, look for a job while gainfully employed. Ya know, “It’s easier to find a job when you have a job”. Don’t know why but it just is what it is. And as my mom always said “Sell yourself to the highest bidder because they will all treat you like sh!t!!!”
I was going to quit once without having another job lined up and it ended up being the only time I’ve ever been fired. I wanted it. I was the purchasing manager of a pump manufacturing company. When I told my wife her response was “Good!! I thought you were going to die of a heart attack!!”

Badger’s advice is great too. Something got you where you are and kept you there for x amount of time. You and yours are the only ones that care. Do what YOU know is right for all of you.