PDA

View Full Version : Who Was The Worst President?

r5TPsooner
8/2/2008, 03:28 AM
Late nite shannanigans.

Flagstaffsooner
8/2/2008, 03:33 AM
My gawd boy. you evar heard of LBJ or FDR?

r5TPsooner
8/2/2008, 03:46 AM
My gawd boy. you evar heard of LBJ or FDR?

Make your own damned poll.:D

Okla-homey
8/2/2008, 05:14 AM
James Buchanan. srsly. He fiddled while the Rebs fomented treason. Should have rounded up the ring leaders and hanged them in 1860. Could have avoided the Civil War.

StoopTroup
8/2/2008, 07:02 AM
James Buchanan. srsly. He fiddled while the Rebs fomented treason. Should have rounded up the ring leaders and hanged them in 1860. Could have avoided the Civil War.

I'd have to agree with you there...

At least he could have maybe not lost so many States to the South.

Scott D
8/2/2008, 09:28 AM
I'm disappointed there isn't a "both equally" option.

GrapevineSooner
8/2/2008, 09:55 AM
Don Nelson chimed in.

He thinks they all suck. ;)

Flagstaffsooner
8/2/2008, 10:01 AM
James Buchanan. srsly. He fiddled while the Rebs fomented treason. Should have rounded up the ring leaders and hanged them in 1860. Could have avoided the Civil War.Gawldamned yankee lawyer!
http://www.isochronic.com/images/cat%20hissing.jpg

Jimminy Crimson
8/2/2008, 11:59 AM
JFK and Clinton should be options, too.

Frozen Sooner
8/2/2008, 12:06 PM
JFK and Clinton should be options, too.

:rolleyes:

Harrison. Buchanon. Grant. Nixon.

StoopTroup
8/2/2008, 12:12 PM
Why does everybody gotta go hatin' on ol Slick Willie...

He opened the doors of sexual freedoms for all men. ;)

soonerscuba
8/2/2008, 12:23 PM
There is a clearly divided line between fierce partisans and those who have actually read a bit of history in this thread.

Mentioning JFK, Clinton, and especially the dime-man himself (depression ending, Nazi asskicker) FDR in the same breath as Buchanan, Pierce and A. Johnson is simply ignorant. You're talking about comparing the TVA, a 3 year president and a bj to people that are directly responsible for keeping an entire race of people enslaved or caving on legislation that costs hundreds of thousands of lives to enact.

Listen, I think Bush is stunningly awful at his job, but I do have some perspective in regards to the history of the office that he is nowhere near the most dangerous. I think the worst president of the 20th century was probably LBJ.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/2/2008, 12:43 PM
I think the worst president of the 20th century was probably LBJ.Woodrow Wilson was a jewel, too. (FDR's New Deal is also hard to forget)

yermom
8/2/2008, 01:22 PM
so awful they elected him 4 times

no love for Hoover?

Harding is a stinker as well

8/2/2008, 01:32 PM

no love for Hoover?

Harding is a stinker as wellFDR can be considered the father of the modern American welfare state. Good man?.a legit candidate for worst pres. of twentieth cent.

soonerscuba
8/2/2008, 03:25 PM
FDR can be considered the father of the modern American welfare state. Good man?.a legit candidate for worst pres. of twentieth cent.
No, you are completely insane if you think that FDR is the worst president of the 20th century. All that 4 term cripple did was create the FDIC, Social Security, Securities and Exchange Commission, balanced the real budget during depression against the advice of Keynes, grew the economy by 60% his first two terms, and don't forget his little bit of foreign policy in Japan and Europe.

The man is not without criticism, the internment of the Japanese was a mistake, the unemployment rate during pre-war, and the expansion of executive power was dicey, but the man is one of the most admired in the history of the world and viewed in the pantheon of the greats by the majority of the public and historians. Hating FDR is like hating Lincoln, it's certainly your right, but most people will just think that you are outrageously partisan, but what else would I expect from someone who actually takes Rush Limbaugh seriously?

mdklatt
8/2/2008, 03:25 PM
I'm disappointed there isn't a "both equally" option.

But Bush sucked for nearly twice as long as Carter.

mdklatt
8/2/2008, 03:30 PM

The dimz elected him four times, and they just did it because they hate America.

Seriously, how closely contested was FDR's fourth election? I imagine that people were voting for him on autopilot at that point. The 22nd Amendment is a good thing.

mdklatt
8/2/2008, 03:33 PM
create the FDIC, Social Security, Securities and Exchange Commission

Pubz don't need all that help from the government. They're smart enough not to put their money in banks that are going to fail or invest in companies that lie.

soonerscuba
8/2/2008, 03:34 PM
The dimz elected him four times, and they just did it because they hate America.

Seriously, how closely contested was FDR's fourth election? I imagine that people were voting for him on autopilot at that point. The 22nd Amendment is a good thing.
Not that wide, 53%, and I think that people just wanted him to see his victory.

8/2/2008, 03:40 PM
No, you are completely insane if you think that FDR is the worst president of the 20th century. All that 4 term cripple did was create the FDIC, Social Security, Securities and Exchange Commission...The man is not without criticism, the internment of the Japanese was a mistake, the unemployment rate during pre-war, and the expansion of executive power was dicey... Hating FDR is like hating Lincoln, it's certainly your right, but most people will just think that you are outrageously partisan, but what else would I expect from someone who actually takes Rush Limbaugh seriously?OK, he's not just father of the welfare state, but the overall nanny state as well. Thanks for the reminders. Glad somebody likes him and respects him. Guess Obama suits you just fine, eh?

Harry Beanbag
8/2/2008, 03:41 PM
Not that wide, 53%, and I think that people just wanted him to see his victory.

432 to 99 Electoral College wise is an ***-whoopin'.

My Opinion Matters
8/2/2008, 03:42 PM

Yeah...I won't argue that Buchanan was hopelessly inept and pathologically ambivalent, but he could have prevented the civil war about as well as I could stop Rosie O' Donnell at the buffet line.

tommieharris91
8/2/2008, 03:44 PM
OK, he's not just father of the welfare state, but the overall nanny state as well. Thanks for the reminders. Glad somebody likes him and respects him. Guess Obama suits you just fine, eh?

The SEC and FDIC were very much needed (and still are), although both were created after a lack of oversight caused a massive bubble at the end of the 20s to burst.

My Opinion Matters
8/2/2008, 03:45 PM
OK, he's not just father of the welfare state, but the overall nanny state as well. Thanks for the reminders. Glad somebody likes him and respects him. Guess Obama suits you just fine, eh?

You know what's funny? Dubya is The Joker to Roosevelt's Batman. Opposites sides of the same coin. Wrap your head around that, chief.

soonerscuba
8/2/2008, 03:51 PM
432 to 99 Electoral College wise is an ***-whoopin'.
True, but I don't think that the electoral college is a good indicator of the country's feeling toward a candidate. Roughly 45% of the country was ready to move on from FDR, while it was a solid victory, it wasn't exactly a George Washington class victory.

Mixer!
8/2/2008, 04:11 PM
Harding. If he hadn't been president, the great depression might have been avoided.

8/2/2008, 04:17 PM
You know what's funny? Dubya is The Joker to Roosevelt's Batman. Opposites sides of the same coin. Wrap your head around that, chief.FDR GOOD-W BUSH EVIL! Zat a wrap?

Okla-homey
8/2/2008, 04:40 PM
No, you are completely insane if you think that FDR is the worst president of the 20th century. All that 4 term cripple did was create the FDIC, Social Security, Securities and Exchange Commission, balanced the real budget during depression against the advice of Keynes, grew the economy by 60% his first two terms, and don't forget his little bit of foreign policy in Japan and Europe.

The man is not without criticism, the internment of the Japanese was a mistake, the unemployment rate during pre-war, and the expansion of executive power was dicey, but the man is one of the most admired in the history of the world and viewed in the pantheon of the greats by the majority of the public and historians. Hating FDR is like hating Lincoln, it's certainly your right, but most people will just think that you are outrageously partisan, but what else would I expect from someone who actually takes Rush Limbaugh seriously?

Mark this down Scooby. I agree with the above. While I am extremely critical of the man for enlarging the power of the Executive Branch to almost unrecognizable proportions, he waged total war against the Nazis and the Imperial Japanese as well as anyone since Vlad the Impaler. For that, he gets a lot of kudos in my book.

He did underestimate Joe Stalin though. Had he listened to Winston, we might not have had to endure the Warsaw Pact for fifty years.

stoopified
8/2/2008, 04:46 PM
James Buchanan. srsly. He fiddled while the Rebs fomented treason. Should have rounded up the ring leaders and hanged them in 1860. Could have avoided the Civil War.You sir are obviously a yankee spie.The Glorious War Against Nothern Aggression was an American Jihad against Godless Yankees.If you had watched CSA-Confederate States you would know that if WE had suceeded we would now rule all of the Western Hemisphere.Damn Yankees! :D

Okla-homey
8/2/2008, 04:57 PM
You sir are obviously a yankee spie.The Glorious War Against Nothern Aggression was an American Jihad against Godless Yankees.If you had watched CSA-Confederate States you would know that if WE had suceeded we would now rule all of the Western Hemisphere.Damn Yankees! :D

I'm no fan of Andy Jackson, but during the Nullification Crisis he sent word to those threatening secession in South Carolina that if they tried it, he would personally lead an army of 150,000 into the state and hang every rebel leader. They chilled the f out. Because they knew he wasn't foolin'

When a visitor from South Carolina asked if President Jackson had any message he wanted relayed to his friends back in the state. Jackson’s reply was:

“ Yes I have; please give my compliments to my friends in your State and say to them, that if a single drop of blood shall be shed there in opposition to the laws of the United States, I will hang the first man I can lay my hand on engaged in such treasonable conduct, upon the first tree I can reach.

Jimminy Crimson
8/3/2008, 03:15 PM
Only reason I mentioned JFK is that he is adored just because he got offed.

Pretty unremarkable besides that.

I don't know if I missed it, but [Sic'Em]LINCOLN!!![/Sic'Em] ;)

SicEmBaylor
8/3/2008, 03:29 PM
Mark this down Scooby. I agree with the above. While I am extremely critical of the man for enlarging the power of the Executive Branch to almost unrecognizable proportions, he waged total war against the Nazis and the Imperial Japanese as well as anyone since Vlad the Impaler. For that, he gets a lot of kudos in my book.

He did underestimate Joe Stalin though. Had he listened to Winston, we might not have had to endure the Warsaw Pact for fifty years.

Hearing you complain about a President enlarging the role of the Executive makes me giggle.

Again, you show yourself to be so blind to previous abuses of power by Presidents with an (R) next to their name that you seriously forfeit the ability to be objective on the subject.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/3/2008, 03:38 PM
FDR inherited a depression that led to 25% unemployment and 4000 failed banks.

Worst presidents?

Who were trained as engineers? Hebert Hoover and Jimmy Carter.

SicEmBaylor
8/3/2008, 03:44 PM
FDR was definitely not the worst President. It's true that he expanded the role of the Federal government to an extent previously not seen, but he was just building the house on top of a foundation that was laid long before he took office.

I can grudgingly accept SOME of FDR's programs during the height of the depression, but they should have been eliminated after the economy improved.

At any rate, the man did a tremendous job running the nation during WWII. I give him a lot of credit for that. I would not have voted for FDR in 32, 36, or 40 but he would have had my vote in '44.

Hoover wasn't the worst President either. The man had a distinguished career in public service for decades and was admired by members of both political parties for being an upstanding public servant. The great depression was something that had never been dealt with before, but Hoover's actions were no different than most other Presidents before him.

StoopTroup
8/3/2008, 03:53 PM
Reagan?

badger
8/3/2008, 04:29 PM
History dictates that Warren G. Harding was the worst president. Why isn't he on the list?

Oh right... recent history has short term memories :D That's why 2005 USC was the greatest ever, preceded by 2001 Miami as the "greatest ever," preceded by 1995 Nebraska, which was the greatest ever :rolleyes:

8/3/2008, 04:35 PM
FDR was definitely not the worst President. It's true that he expanded the role of the Federal government to an extent previously not seen, but he was just building the house on top of a foundation that was laid long before he took office.

I can grudgingly accept SOME of FDR's programs during the height of the depression, but they should have been eliminated after the economy improved.

Which of FDR'S social programs do you think helped the nation? I don't think any of them would have turned the country around. It was America getting their act together for the WWII effort that did the job.

badger
8/3/2008, 04:39 PM
At any rate, the man did a tremendous job running the nation during WWII. I give him a lot of credit for that. I would not have voted for FDR in 32, 36, or 40 but he would have had my vote in '44.

You bring up an interesting note of presidential history. If the Republicans had not forced a two-term limit on the presidency, would Reagan have remained in office until 1992 (he likely would have retired by then) and would Bill Clinton still be president now?

8/3/2008, 04:50 PM
You bring up an interesting note of presidential history. If the Republicans had not forced a two-term limit on the presidency, would Reagan have remained in office until 1992 (he likely would have retired by then) and would Bill Clinton still be president now?The MSM had put it on Reagan really good with the Iran-Contra thing, and convincing people Reagan was too old, and possibly incapacitated, by the end of Reagan's 2nd term. I wouldn't say it would have been a lock for him in '88.

Possibly the conservatives in the Senate would have taken Clinton's impeachment more seriously, to remove him from office, if a third term was possible.

badger
8/3/2008, 04:59 PM
The MSM had put it on Reagan really good with the Iran-Contra thing, and convincing people Reagan was too old, and possibly incapacitated, by the end of Reagan's 2nd term. I wouldn't say it would have been a lock for him in '88.

Possibly the conservatives in the Senate would have taken Clinton's impeachment more seriously, to remove him from office, if a third term was possible.

Still a 67-33 majority in the Senate would have been too difficult to get. You'd have to convince Clinton's own minions to betray him... then again, Barack did that with such flair in this election, hehe :D

I don't think Clinton would have been impeached regardless of the evidence, because his party were such lemmings back then (it happens when you're not in the majority and vying for more control and more say in issues). As with the case now, I would say that for awhile, the Republicans were W's lemmings when it was to their political advantage. Right now, it is to nobody's advantage to associate with W.

I think that with additional terms as a possibility, both Reagan and Clinton would have had more than two. However, given assassination attempts to Kennedy, perhaps Eisenhower would have been up for more time. I suppose there's no way of knowing for sure.

SicEmBaylor
8/3/2008, 05:06 PM
Which of FDR'S social programs do you think helped the nation? I don't think any of them would have turned the country around. It was America getting their act together for the WWII effort that did the job.

The public-works programs primarily although I also think the FDIC is another justifiable program. I'm talking programs like the WPA, CCC, etc. It improved the nation's infrastructure, put people to work, and it wasn't a free hand out...people had to actually work.

Okla-homey
8/3/2008, 06:31 PM
Hearing you complain about a President enlarging the role of the Executive makes me giggle.

Again, you show yourself to be so blind to previous abuses of power by Presidents with an (R) next to their name that you seriously forfeit the ability to be objective on the subject.

Like I said Skippy, what you think doesn't matter much to me until you become a grown-up, move out of your parents' basement (figuratively speaking), get a job and start paying taxes. You're just mad because I refuse to get all dewy at the memory of a failed society that relied on human chattel slavery to function and clearly underestimated the resolve of an Illinios railsplitter who put the wood to them and their slave buggering ways.

8/3/2008, 08:04 PM
The public-works programs primarily although I also think the FDIC is another justifiable program. I'm talking programs like the WPA, CCC, etc. It improved the nation's infrastructure, put people to work, and it wasn't a free hand out...people had to actually work.All that stuff was on shaky grounds, relying on tax revenue to succeed. The economy didn't take off til America went to war. The FDIC is the only govt program you mentioned that makes sense to me.

SicEmBaylor
8/3/2008, 08:16 PM
All that stuff was on shaky grounds, relying on tax revenue to succeed. The economy didn't take off til America went to war. The FDIC is the only govt program you mentioned that makes sense to me.

Hey I never said it ended the depression. But it made the best of a horrible situation by putting millions of people to work, improving the infrastructure, and not giving government hand-outs for nothing.

8/3/2008, 08:55 PM
Hey I never said it ended the depression. But it made the best of a horrible situation by putting millions of people to work, improving the infrastructure, and not giving government hand-outs for nothing.Had the war not come along, the ecomomy wouldn't have turned around, with only govt. make-work projects to drive it. That is my point.

SicEmBaylor
8/3/2008, 08:56 PM
Had the war not come along, the ecomomy wouldn't have turned around, with only govt. make-work projects to drive it. That is my point.

And I agree.

royalfan5
8/3/2008, 09:43 PM
All that stuff was on shaky grounds, relying on tax revenue to succeed. The economy didn't take off til America went to war. The FDIC is the only govt program you mentioned that makes sense to me.

The SEC makes my job a lot easier, so it's got that going for it.

tommieharris91
8/3/2008, 10:26 PM
Had the war not come along, the ecomomy wouldn't have turned around, with only govt. make-work projects to drive it. That is my point.

Well, that and there might still not be any international trade. The Depression definitely would have lasted longer than it did without WWII.

King Crimson
8/3/2008, 10:35 PM

why did the economy fail in the first place?

why did it take "socialism" and "warfare" to bail it out?

8/3/2008, 10:56 PM
why did the economy fail in the first place?

why did it take "socialism" and "warfare" to bail it out?socialism didn't bale it out. That's my point. Warfare created the incentive to get people moving. I agree the FDIC and banking safeguards are necessary.

sooneron
8/3/2008, 10:57 PM
yet you think the sec is unnecessary?

8/3/2008, 11:08 PM
yet you think the sec is unnecessary?No, I can see that as a proper function of govt. (However, the bastages shouldn't have their own tv network, just like the domer shouldn't, either. It's just not right) :P ;)

King Crimson
8/3/2008, 11:13 PM
socialism didn't bale it out. That's my point. Warfare created the incentive to get people moving. I agree the FDIC and banking safeguards are necessary.

what are you talking about? "the incentive to get people moving"?

that's some great economics there.

Frozen Sooner
8/3/2008, 11:23 PM
yet you think the sec is unnecessary?

:les: IT'S A MEATGRINDER!

8/3/2008, 11:24 PM
what are you talking about? "the incentive to get people moving"?

that's some great economics there.producing things, like to win the war. I'm not sure what your question is.

King Crimson
8/3/2008, 11:34 PM
:les: IT'S A MEATGRINDER!

OMG, YES!

Mixer!
8/3/2008, 11:48 PM
Saban
Ears
Phatty
Rickkkkt
The Visor
Urrrrrban
Sylvester
Nutty
Petreeno
Lestur
and the rest
are here on SEC Isle.

def_lazer_fc
8/4/2008, 01:30 AM
Best President:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e376/def_lazer_fc/22363_2_camacho.jpg

mikeelikee
8/4/2008, 09:25 PM
Carter was a terrible president, but I'd be inclined to agree with the poster about James Buchanan, who literally abdicated any responsible decision on slavery, and left all the heavy lifting to Lincoln. He could be our version of Neville Chamberlain.

r5TPsooner
8/4/2008, 10:05 PM
There will be a Buchanan/Kennedy worst POTUS pole coming up next.