PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical

mdklatt
8/1/2008, 04:19 PM
If your local polling place was in a mosque, would you be offended? Would you be upset to the point that you refused to vote there?

Hamhock
8/1/2008, 04:24 PM
no

GottaHavePride
8/1/2008, 04:24 PM
Um, no. Most polling places are in churches and community centers. Just think of it as another denomination.

yermom
8/1/2008, 04:28 PM
i wouldn't want to go to any church...

mdklatt
8/1/2008, 04:39 PM
i wouldn't want to go to any church...

Interesting. The reason I ask is that my local polling place is a church. It doesn't bother me, but I'm sure it bothers somebody. I don't know how widespread this is in Oklahoma or anywhere else, but I imagine it's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Jerk
8/1/2008, 04:47 PM
What if the polling place was the Westborro Baptist Church?

Turd_Ferguson
8/1/2008, 04:51 PM
What if the poleing place was at the Habana Inn?

Partial Qualifier
8/1/2008, 04:52 PM

LOL

mdklatt
8/1/2008, 04:52 PM
What if the polling place was the Westborro Baptist Church?

Exactly. A ton of people would have problems with that, regardless of their religious beliefs. Of course, that has nothing to do with being a church and everything to do with being a bunch of inbred ****wad ****tard *******s.

But allowing polling places to be churches seems to be opening up a can of worms to me.

yermom
8/1/2008, 04:53 PM
Interesting. The reason I ask is that my local polling place is a church. It doesn't bother me, but I'm sure it bothers somebody. I don't know how widespread this is in Oklahoma or anywhere else, but I imagine it's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

that's kinda where i thought you were coming from. i'd imagine that a mosque would not fly around here.

at. all.

mdklatt
8/1/2008, 04:55 PM

See? Another good question, although I assume that whoever decides on polling places would avoid obviously contentious locations. I don't foresee Covergirls ever becoming a polling place.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/1/2008, 04:56 PM
Yes, that WOULD sit kinda hinky for me.

It already sits kinda hinky to hear that churches are used as polling places at all. I vote in a school. And if there's anything Oklahoma has a buttload of outside of churches, that's schools.

mdklatt
8/1/2008, 04:56 PM
that's kinda where i thought you were coming from. i'd imagine that a mosque would not fly around here.

at. all.

No, definitely not. It would be fun to watch the hypocrisy, though.

Jerk
8/1/2008, 05:01 PM
For real, I think the polling place should be at your job. Go to work, clock in, vote. If you're retired, then go back to the place which you retired from and vote.

GottaHavePride
8/1/2008, 05:01 PM
Yeah. Here in Wichita our polling place has been a local church for the last 10 years at least.

GottaHavePride
8/1/2008, 05:03 PM
You know, when I was in Sweden it was pretty cool - if you wanted to get on a bus or train, you couldn't pay cash. You send a text message to a certain number and it deducts the charge from your account. Then you show the reply text message to the conductor / driver.

Not that I'm saying voting for the president should be text-message based like American Idol, but think how many more citizens we could get involved if people could vote online or through their cell phone. Wild.

mdklatt
8/1/2008, 05:04 PM
For real, I think the polling place should be at your job. Go to work, clock in, vote. If you're retired, then go back to the place which you retired from and vote.

There is no way that many polling places is going to be manageable, unless we go to all online voting.

Jerk
8/1/2008, 05:06 PM
There is no way that many polling places is going to be manageable, unless we go to all online voting.

whatever it takes to get my evil agenda through, man.

don't have a job? can't vote? tough sh*t.

yermom
8/1/2008, 05:10 PM
i like the school idea a lot.

i wonder if there are enough though.

the job thing isn't really practical. what if you retired in California? etc, etc, etc...

yermom
8/1/2008, 05:13 PM
You know, when I was in Sweden it was pretty cool - if you wanted to get on a bus or train, you couldn't pay cash. You send a text message to a certain number and it deducts the charge from your account. Then you show the reply text message to the conductor / driver.

Not that I'm saying voting for the president should be text-message based like American Idol, but think how many more citizens we could get involved if people could vote online or through their cell phone. Wild.

horrible this idea is.

what if you don't have a cell phone? what if you left it somewhere and are trying to get back there?

what if cell service is down/busy?

even so, that whole thing seems awkward to me. the idea sounds kinda cool, but making that the only way to pay sounds a bit odd

Tulsa_Fireman
8/1/2008, 05:14 PM
I farted.

Seriously.

Turd_Ferguson
8/1/2008, 05:18 PM
I farted.

Seriously.http://www.vlib.us/medical/gaswar/Exp.%20Dog%20Mask,%20WWI.jpg

Harry Beanbag
8/1/2008, 05:44 PM
They seem to change my polling place every election now. It's been in churches and schools. I would think it's simply a matter of having a large enough building and causing the least amount of distractions. Where else would you do it?

I don't see the difference in having it in a church or a school really. Both locations could influence votes.