PDA

View Full Version : Havok....

StoopTroup
8/1/2008, 01:32 PM
I've been trying to figure out a way to make you a Moderator.

So far I've got nothin'....

Sorry. :pop:

StoopTroup
8/1/2008, 06:59 PM
Just checking in to see if I've been banned.

Sooner_Havok
10/24/2008, 04:42 AM
I trust your still working on this. :D

Curly Bill
10/24/2008, 05:32 PM
If Havok is made a moderator I'm cancelling my sponsorship.

olevetonahill
10/24/2008, 05:54 PM

They dont make Libs a Mod ;)

olevetonahill
10/24/2008, 05:54 PM
Er Mike is our token Lib , that is .:D

Curly Bill
10/24/2008, 05:55 PM

As it should be. ;)

tommieharris91
10/24/2008, 06:03 PM

Mike Rich is conservative. In other news, water is now dry and OSU athletics is in great financial shape.

olevetonahill
10/24/2008, 06:06 PM
Mike Rich is conservative. In other news, water is now dry and OSU athletics is in great financial shape.

Glad you st8end that out :D

CK Sooner
10/24/2008, 06:08 PM
Glad you st8end that out :D

I am a mod in disguise.

CK Sooner
10/24/2008, 06:11 PM
NSFW

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd17/Finn_MacCool/Moderators.jpg

Sooner_Havok
10/27/2008, 06:08 PM

Take you $10 and go to another board, see if we care ;)

If I just admit to being a Lib, can I join your posse?

Jerk
10/27/2008, 06:08 PM
We don't need another liberal mod.

Frozen Sooner
10/27/2008, 06:13 PM

:D. Yeah, over the years I've progressively gotten more and more liberal.

Still own my guns though.

Jerk
10/27/2008, 06:17 PM
:D. Yeah, over the years I've progressively gotten more and more liberal.

Still own my guns though.

I have to admit, you have been fair to me.

You used to be more of a libertarian. WTF happened?

Frozen Sooner
10/27/2008, 06:24 PM
Short version or long version?

Jerk
10/27/2008, 06:26 PM
Short version or long version?

Oh, hell, man.

What was it? Bush?

Frozen Sooner
10/27/2008, 06:34 PM
Nah.

A lot of it had to do with what a scumbage Harry Browne turned out to be. I started to examine whether I truly thought that a third party-particularly the Libertarians-would ever make any kind of a difference. Plus, the Libertarians started espousing some contradictory views to serve their self-interest: namely, term limits. A true Libertarian should never endorse term limits, it goes against their entire ethos.

Anyhow, I've always been a civil libertarian. As a general rule, I find that the Democratic Party at least pays more lip service to the Bill of Rights than the Republicans do (though of course they're not perfect.)

If I could, I'd change the Democratic Party's general stance on gun control among other things-I just think there's fewer objectionable things on the left side of the aisle than on the right for the time being.

Jerk
10/27/2008, 06:41 PM
Nah.

A lot of it had to do with what a scumbage Harry Browne turned out to be. I started to examine whether I truly thought that a third party-particularly the Libertarians-would ever make any kind of a difference. Plus, the Libertarians started espousing some contradictory views to serve their self-interest: namely, term limits. A true Libertarian should never endorse term limits, it goes against their entire ethos.

Anyhow, I've always been a civil libertarian. As a general rule, I find that the Democratic Party at least pays more lip service to the Bill of Rights than the Republicans do (though of course they're not perfect.)

If I could, I'd change the Democratic Party's general stance on gun control among other things-I just think there's fewer objectionable things on the left side of the aisle than on the right for the time being.

I see. I disagree with you but I can't point to a Republican party as an example of how a Republican party should govern that would be a good alternative to your party. I don't think that made sense. Sorry.

Jerk
10/27/2008, 06:44 PM
I'm trying to say that the republican party should be center-right with a strong bent for libertarianism, individual rights, and local control. Not wacky libertarianism, but MYOB kind. You know, "You do your thing, I'll do mine," and "What works in NYC might not work in Oklahoma." I think we got away from that a long time ago.

Frozen Sooner
10/27/2008, 06:46 PM
Hey, you never know. I'm behind the Democrats this cycle and I'm working hard for them. We'll have four to eight years to see how they do. Maybe they'll **** me off as much as the Republicans did over the last eight.

I probably come off a lot more liberal than I really am on here just because I tend to take arguments out to their conclusion. But I will proudly wear the label of liberal any day. Some of the greatest minds and people in history were liberals. :D

Frozen Sooner
10/27/2008, 06:48 PM
I'm trying to say that the republican party should be center-right with a strong bent for libertarianism, individual rights, and local control. Not wacky libertarianism, but MYOB kind. You know, "You do your thing, I'll do mine," and "What works in NYC might not work in Oklahoma." I think we got away from that a long time ago.

And I think that the Democratic Party should be center-left with that same strong bent for libertarianism of the mind your own business kind.

I think we might disagree a bit on what minding your own business means, though.

One of my favorite libertarian quotes is "Your right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose."

Jerk
10/27/2008, 06:56 PM
One of my favorite libertarian quotes is "Your right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose."

Oh, yeah, I don't believe that people should do whatever they want to do if it affects others.

Smoke pot? Fine.

Smoke pot and drive on public road? GTFO

Sooner_Havok
10/27/2008, 07:00 PM
I think my problem is that I am a social liberal and a fiscal conservative.

What are you if you like your guns, don't mind gay people, shy away from religion, but want limited government with fiscal responsibility?

Curly Bill
10/27/2008, 07:01 PM

What are you if you like your guns, don't mind gay people, shy away from religion, but want limited government with fiscal responsibility?

I think that makes you like me. :D

...so why do you like Obama though?

Frozen Sooner
10/27/2008, 07:02 PM

Makes you a small-l libertarian. Unfortunately, the big-L Libertarian Party doesn't necessarily share your views.

Sooner_Havok
10/27/2008, 07:08 PM
I think that makes you like me. :D

...so why do you like Obama though?

Palin mostly :(

Not saying I wasn't leaning Obama prior to his VP pick, but Palin sure as hell sealed the deal.

Sooner_Havok
10/27/2008, 07:09 PM
Makes you a small-l libertarian. Unfortunately, the big-L Libertarian Party doesn't necessarily share your views.

I guess. A guy I work with says he is a Libertarian. Me and him don't see eye to eye on some stuff.

Curly Bill
10/27/2008, 07:11 PM

Not saying I wasn't leaning Obama prior to his VP pick, but Palin sure as hell sealed the deal.

You like your guns and yet are voting Obama?

...so you don't like them all that much huh? :P

Jerk
10/27/2008, 07:13 PM

Even if McCain were to fall over dead, she wouldn't have a lot of power with that Democrat congress.

I mean, really, it's not like she can go to the Habanna Inn and tell the gays to stop ****ing each other. (I'm not saying you're gay...I'm just making an example)

Frozen Sooner
10/27/2008, 07:13 PM
I guess. A guy I work with says he is a Libertarian. Me and him don't see eye to eye on some stuff.

Most big L Libertarians don't follow libertarianism out to its logical conclusions.

Most seem to think that anarchy is a libertarian state. It's not.

Frozen Sooner
10/27/2008, 07:14 PM
You like your guns and yet are voting Obama?

...so you don't like them all that much huh? :P

You don't mind gays but you're voting for the woman who wants a constitutional amendment forbidding them to marry?

...so you don't like them that much, huh?

;)

Sooner_Havok
10/27/2008, 07:16 PM
Most big L Libertarians don't follow libertarianism out to its logical conclusions.

Most seem to think that anarchy is a libertarian state. It's not.

That's pretty much what this guy argues. I always called myself a libertarian, but this cat said that since I wasn't some (some modifier) anarchist, I wasn't a libertarian.

Curly Bill
10/27/2008, 07:17 PM
You don't mind gays but you're voting for the woman who wants a constitutional amendment forbidding them to marry?

;)

I don't mind them, but I'm not in favor of them "marrying."

...and I really don't like them at all, but as long as they mind their own business...

Jerk
10/27/2008, 07:18 PM

;)

She couldn't get that done with a democrat congress.

If Obama wants to ban guns, he might be able to find enough democrats to do it. There are certainly no republicans in the legislature to stand in the way.

Chuck Bao
10/27/2008, 07:19 PM
Havok described my views perfectly. It looks like I'm a small "l" too.

I did vote for Obama because I want a responsible government. I want someone in charge to repair the damage caused by the Bush administration. I want a government with a realistic foreign policy and willing to deal with the problems in the world. I think we need someone to deal with this economic mess. McCain simply isn't giving the answers I'm looking for. And, Palin is giving answers that I simply don't like.

Sooner_Havok
10/27/2008, 07:19 PM

;)

I might add that my computer manufacture of choice has had this to say:

Apple is publicly opposing Proposition 8 and making a donation of $100,000 to the No on 8 campaign. Apple was among the first California companies to offer equal rights and benefits to our employees’ same-sex partners, and we strongly believe that a person’s fundamental rights — including the right to marry — should not be affected by their sexual orientation. Apple views this as a civil rights issue, rather than just a political issue, and is therefore speaking out publicly against Proposition 8.

:D :D

Jerk
10/27/2008, 07:21 PM

...and I really don't like them at all, but as long as they mind their own business...

I'm sort of the same way, but if a state like Vermont wants them to marry, then fine. If Oklahoma doesn't, then fine. I think liberals make the mistake of thinking that we actually care about what people do in their bedroom. I don't, and most people I know who are conservative feel the same way. Just keep the agenda out of the elementary schools, please.

Sooner_Havok
10/27/2008, 07:24 PM

I'm not in favor of any state recognized marriages. Marriage is a charged term that has obvious religious implications. I always thought the state should recognize civil unions, and let the churches and the gods recognize marriages.

She couldn't get that done with a democrat congress.

If Obama wants to ban guns, he might be able to find enough democrats to do it. There are certainly no republicans in the legislature to stand in the way.

Only way to ban guns is with a constitutional amendment. If every state voted blue and we had an entire senate full of donks, 3/4 of states still would not ratify an amendment banning guns.

Frozen Sooner
10/27/2008, 07:24 PM

Why are you not in favor of them "marrying?" Can't they say to you "I don't like you at all, but as long as you mind your own business..."?

Seriously, the whole gay marriage thing is just irksome. The only reasonable small-government reason I've heard for opposing it is that it "forces" people to recognize a legal arrangement between two people. Strangely, though, I have yet to hear any of those selfsame people argue for the right to refuse to recognize heterosexual marriage.

Just weird.

Curly Bill
10/27/2008, 07:26 PM
We won't see an outright ban on guns, but under Obama you can expect to see as many "common sense" limits imposed as he can get passed.

Jerk
10/27/2008, 07:27 PM
Only way to ban guns is with a constitutional amendment. If every state voted blue and we had an entire senate full of donks, 3/4 of states still would not ratify an amendment banning guns.

We came within one vote on the Supreme Court of losing that right this past summer.

Think about that. If 1 more justice would have sided with DC, then we would have lost a constitutional right by judicial decree.

Sooner_Havok
10/27/2008, 07:28 PM
We want see an outright ban on guns, but under Obama you can expect to see as many "common sense" limits imposed as he can get passed.

I might go for that, but the SCOTUS ruling on the DC gun law seem to have set a precedent.

Sooner_Havok
10/27/2008, 07:29 PM
We came within one vote on the Supreme Court of losing that right this past summer.

Think about that. If 1 more justice would have sided with DC, then we would have lost a constitutional right by judicial decree.

We didn't though, and precedent has now been set. For any court to reverse that ruling now would be a pretty long shot.

Frozen Sooner
10/27/2008, 07:29 PM
I might go for that, but the SCOTUS ruling on the DC gun law seem to have set a precedent.

Oddly enough, it's the more liberal-leaning judges who tend to respect stare decisis more than the conservative-leaning ones.

Jerk
10/27/2008, 07:30 PM
We want see an outright ban on guns, but under Obama you can expect to see as many "common sense" limits imposed as he can get passed.

Taxes are the way they will go.

Sooner_Havok
10/27/2008, 07:33 PM
Oddly enough, it's the more liberal-leaning judges who tend to respect stare decisis more than the conservative-leaning ones.

Is kinda odd when you think about it. I'm sure Roe v. Wade has nothing to do with that. :D

Frozen Sooner
10/27/2008, 07:34 PM
You know, Roe v. Wade isn't the controlling decision any longer.

Sooner_Havok
10/27/2008, 07:34 PM
Taxes are the way they will go.

If they are going to tax my smokes and booze cause they might kill me, taxing guns seems about right. Mind you I think it is BS. Let me smoke and drink all I want!

Sooner_Havok
10/27/2008, 07:35 PM
You know, Roe v. Wade isn't the controlling decision any longer.

I know, but them justices are old school man :D

Jerk
10/27/2008, 07:35 PM

I don't understand why you need stare decisis when you can just pick up the Constitution and read it.

I mean, on some issues where there is really no guidance from the Constitution or its amendments, then I understand. But if it's simple, like "You can't force people to worship God" why the need to go look up what the court said in 1934?

Sooner_Havok
10/27/2008, 07:38 PM
I don't understand why you need stare decisis when you can just pick up the Constitution and read it.

I mean, on some issues where there is really no guidance from the Constitution or its amendments, then I understand. But if it's simple, like "You can't force people to worship God" why the need to go look up what the court said in 1934?

Because our constitution is silent on a lot of specific matters.

Frozen Sooner
10/27/2008, 07:38 PM

Because it's a good idea to have a consistent framework of common law with which to work. The Consititution, while the most amazing document ever written, doesn't cover every eventuality in a black and white manner.

Chuck Bao
10/27/2008, 07:39 PM
Even if McCain were to fall over dead, she wouldn't have a lot of power with that Democrat congress.

I mean, really, it's not like she can go to the Habanna Inn and tell the gays to stop ****ing each other. (I'm not saying you're gay...I'm just making an example)

Seriously? Are you equivocating buying a gun and getting it off at Habanna Inn?

NTTIAWWE (E = either)

Yeah, besides all of the potential jokes, owning guns is like keeping the one you love. That’s pretty basic and should be a right.

Sooner_Havok
10/27/2008, 07:41 PM
Because it's a good idea to have a consistent framework of common law with which to work. The Consititution, while the most amazing document ever written, doesn't cover every eventuality in a black and white manner.

Your's sounds better :(

Jerk
10/27/2008, 07:43 PM

That makes sense, but it could also be used to affirm a previous decision that was wrong.

Sooner_Havok
10/27/2008, 07:46 PM
That makes sense, but it could also be used to affirm a previous decision that was wrong.

If enough people think that the SCOTUS got one wrong, then there can be an amendment made to the constitution to rectify the situation. But like I have said before constitutional amendments aren't easy, so it would have to be a ruling that A LOT of people think is VERY wrong.

Jerk
10/27/2008, 07:51 PM
Well, this has been a healthy thread for me. I've calmed down a bit. Time to feed the dawgs, read the Bible, and lower the Stars and Bars.

Sooner_Havok
10/27/2008, 07:53 PM
Well, this has been a healthy thread for me. I've calmed down a bit. Time to feed the dawgs, read the Bible, and lower the Stars and Bars.

So I can has my thread about me becoming a mod back? :D

Jerk
10/27/2008, 07:54 PM
So I can has my thread about me becoming a mod back? :D

Yeah, just keep your ban hammer off me when I go into a rampage this November.

PalmBeachSooner1
10/27/2008, 07:55 PM
Because our constitution is silent on a lot of specific matters.

It's silent on a lot of issues except for the concept of federalism. Not a single democrat proposal would ever be taken seriously if the court's would simply uphold federalism.

Sooner_Havok
10/27/2008, 07:57 PM
Yeah, just keep your ban hammer off me when I go into a rampage this November.

Dude, I am back on the bottle, so my ban hammer will more than likely be lost most of the time.

Curly Bill
10/27/2008, 08:42 PM
Dude, I am back on the bottle, so my ban hammer will more than likely be lost most of the time.

LMAO! :D

SPEK