PDA

View Full Version : Ballsy Move By Bush imho

swardboy
8/1/2008, 11:30 AM
http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/bush_to_attend_church_services_in_china/

Bush to Attend Church Services in China (http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/bush_to_attend_church_services_in_china/)

By Bat One on August 1, 2008 at 05:47 am

Several weeks ago, a number of his more virulent critics on the liberal left were anguished that President Bush was planning to attend the upcoming Olympics in China. After all, the Chinese government has placed harsh restrictions on the human rights of its citizens, outlawed all manner of religious practices, and imposed a brutal, authoritarian control on Tibet and the western provinces. By going to China, they said, Bush was offering a de facto endorsement of the brutal Chinese communist regime.
Not exactly!
In an almost Reaganesque move, the White House has announced (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080730233609.ukfy65wo&show_article=1) that the president plans to attend church services while in China on his Olympics trip.
This simple step totally undermines both his critics here at home, and the communist Chinese regime, while publicly demonstrating this president’s commitment to the basic right of all people to worship as they see fit. After all, how better to witness to the oppression suffered by the Chinese people than to do so not from the safety of the well of the Senate, or the anonymity of the internet, but from a church in China itself?

“When he goes to church on Sunday (August 10) he will make a statement afterwards in which he discusses his view on religious freedom in China,” said national security council director of Asian Affairs Dennis Wilder.
“You can deliver the message of freedom without politicizing the events of the game,” Wilder said.

shaun4411
8/1/2008, 11:35 AM
not that im against this move, but he is pretty much saying he plans to go to a country and commit a crime there. rather boldly even.

swardboy
8/1/2008, 12:00 PM
I believe there are "approved" churches there, so I don't think he's being all that "in your face." However, there is a HUGE simmering "church" underground in China. And they will appreciate this move mucho. I remember that during the huge earthquake there earlier, seeing a man in the crowd making the sign of the cross in footage taken during the quake. This movement needs to be be encouraged in order to create more individual freedom.

soonerscuba
8/1/2008, 12:04 PM
It's not a crime to go to church in China, and the Catholic church has been there since the 15th century, color me unimpressed. Ballsy would be visiting Tibet and treating them as an independent nation.

StoopTroup
8/1/2008, 12:14 PM
I think the Pope put him up to it.

Their little chat at the Groto must have really got to him. :D

mdklatt
8/1/2008, 12:18 PM
It's not a crime to go to church in China, and the Catholic church has been there since the 15th century, color me unimpressed. Ballsy would be visiting Tibet and treating them as an independent nation.

Ballsy will be if he takes Communion since he's not Catholic. ;)