PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning: Six Flags Opening

Okla-homey
8/1/2008, 05:59 AM
August 1, 1961: Texans (and a lot of Okies too) head for the thrills at Six Flags

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/4884/angsixflags4ow6.jpg

47 years ago today in 1961, amusement park lovers "head for the thrills" as Six Flags Over Texas, the first park in the Six Flags chain, opens. Your correspondent wasn't there on opening day, but he was taken there by his grandparents for the first time four years later in 1965. Note: the images below are of features that existed during the park's opening decade. Some no longer exist

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8724/angtexasgiant2xq7.jpg

Located on 212 acres in Arlington, Texas, the park was the first to feature a log flume and mine train rides and later, the first 360-degree looping roller coaster, modern parachute drop and man-made river rapids ride.

The park also pioneered the concept of all-inclusive admission price; until then, separate entrance fees and individual ride tickets were the standard. During its opening year, a day at Six Flags cost $2.75 for an adult and $2.25 for a child. A hamburger sold for 50 cents and a soda set the buyer back a dime.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6807/ang68485567b20733a983dy1.jpg

The park, which took a year and $10 million to build, was the brainchild of Texas real estate developer and oilman Angus Wynne Jr., who viewed it as a short-term way to make a buck from some vacant land before turning it into an industrial complex. His business plan literally only called for keeping the park open for two years, turn a quick profit, sell off the rides and then sell the land.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/7570/angmxhat1ec4.jpg

Angus' brother Bedford Wynne, was one of the initial co-owners and founders of the Dallas Cowboys professional football franchise, along with Clint Murchison, Jr.

His son Angus G Wynne III is the owner of Wynne Entertainment in Dallas and has been a producer of music events since 1965.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8727/ang684760550d457425afyp3.jpg

Wynne reportedly recouped his personal investment of $3.5 million within 18 months and changed his mind about the park's temporary status. With 17.5 million visitors in its first 10 years, the park became the Texas' top "for-profit" tourist attraction. Number one being the Alamo of course, Today, average annual attendance at the park is over 3 million.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/7286/ang68481495446e22973cfw2.jpg

One of Six Flags' unique aspects was that it wasn't just a random collection of rides; it was developed around a theme: the history of Texas. The park's name was a nod to the six flags that had flown over the state at various times--France, Spain, Mexico, the Confederacy, The Republic of Texas and the United States.

The park's rides and attractions were grouped into six themed clusters that represented the cultures of these governments and enabled visitors to experience everything from cowboy culture to Southern belles and pirates. Originally, the park was to be called Texas Under Six Flags, before it was decided that "Texas should never be under anything." -- except Oklahoma baybee!

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/2142/ang478969252e42a7a5a4ais1.jpg

Anyhoo, Ol' Angus Wynne sold Six Flags in 1969 and in the coming years, the company expanded and was resold. Today, Six Flags, Inc. is the world's largest regional theme park company and owns and operates 30 theme, water and zoological parks in North America.

In 2005, almost 34 million people spent a combined 250 million hours at Six Flags parks.

KsSooner
8/1/2008, 06:20 AM
Our church youth group used to go there every summer, $20 got you a chartered bus trip(from Claremore), admission to park, and all day to spend the $5 the folks gave you for food and trinkets. Sponsors would let us out at gate in the morning and say meet here at close. Two hour wait times for rides, run away mine train was classic! Thanks Homey!

Okla-homey
8/1/2008, 07:15 AM
Our church youth group used to go there every summer, $20 got you a chartered bus trip(from Claremore), admission to park, and all day to spend the $5 the folks gave you for food and trinkets. Sponsors would let us out at gate in the morning and say meet here at close. Two hour wait times for rides, run away mine train was classic! Thanks Homey!

You know, maybe its because I'm a wierd-o, but "The Cave" was my fav. Something about being all hot and sweaty, then boarding that bucket and entering that cool, eerie, black-lit tunnel and meeting those little dudes with upside-down coke bottles for faces. I still remember the end. You floated through this barrel that was turning on its axis. The optical illusion gave you the sensation you were leaning. It was awesome.

I hear they took out that ride in the 90's. :(

sooner n houston
8/1/2008, 09:14 AM
Having family in Dallas, my family went to six flags at least twice a year. What a blast for a kid!

Turd_Ferguson
8/1/2008, 09:23 AM
Good memories from my childhood were created there. They family unit went down there about 5 year's ago, and it looked like the Biz-Lat's had taken over.

Curly Bill
8/1/2008, 09:23 AM
You know, maybe its because I'm a wierd-o, but "The Cave" was my fav. Something about being all hot and sweaty, then boarding that bucket and entering that cool, eerie, black-lit tunnel and meeting those little dudes with upside-down coke bottles for faces. I still remember the end. You floated through this barrel that was turning on its axis. The optical illusion gave you the sensation you were leaning. It was awesome.

I hear they took out that ride in the 90's. :(

The cave was cool. :)

OUDoc
8/1/2008, 09:31 AM
Originally, the park was to be called Texas Under Six Flags, before it was decided that "Texas should never be under anything."

If the flags are over Texas, wouldn't that still mean Texas was under the flags? Or does logic elude most Texans?
Wait, no need to answer that.

mdklatt
8/1/2008, 10:20 AM
The cave was cool. :)

Literally. The A/C was the only reason worth going on that ride.

Okla-homey
8/1/2008, 12:38 PM
Literally. The A/C was the only reason worth going on that ride.

That, and Barbara <last name deleted to protect her anonymity> let me slip a hand inside her halter top on that ride.:D

Pricetag
8/1/2008, 01:16 PM
Do they still have the Texas Cliffhanger? That ride seemed like a great idea until we got about half way up the tower when I rode it as a pre-teen back in 1986. If there had been an emergency stop switch, I would have hit it. That few seconds up at the top before the drop seemed like an eternity.

I'd say I've grown out of that stuff, but I rode the Mamba at Worlds of Fun last month, and would have stopped the thing half way up that first climb.

StoopTroup
8/1/2008, 01:20 PM
That, and Barbara <last name deleted to protect her anonymity> let me slip a hand inside her halter top on that ride.:D

Circus girls are the awesome! ;) :D

http://i10.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/e5/4d/a15a_1.JPG

NYC Poke
8/1/2008, 01:26 PM
I miss the Spee-Lunkers. *sniff*

olevetonahill
8/1/2008, 01:35 PM
I have Nevar been to any of em .
Damn Bush and the repubs screwing up the econimy and stuff

SicEmBaylor
8/1/2008, 02:05 PM
I went a couple of weeks ago. Tickets are $49.00 now and parking is $15.00.

I can handle the ticket price, but $15.00 for parking? Holy **** balls.

TexasSooner01
8/1/2008, 02:33 PM
Do they still have the Shockwave? That was my favorite ride as a kid.

SicEmBaylor
8/1/2008, 02:38 PM
Do they still have the Shockwave? That was my favorite ride as a kid.

Yep. I don't remember the shockwave being that old though so you must be pretty young!

In fact, I think I remember the thing being built...

TexasSooner01
8/1/2008, 02:44 PM
Yep. I don't remember the shockwave being that old though so you must be pretty young!

In fact, I think I remember the thing being built...

I B 33...so i dont think i am that old. LOL

The Shockwave was the first coaster I rode...I think i was like 7 or 8.

Turd_Ferguson
8/1/2008, 02:48 PM

In fact, I think I remember the thing being built...It was built in 78. I was 11 and scared ****less when I first rode it:D

SicEmBaylor
8/1/2008, 02:49 PM
Okay, I'm definitely thinking of a different roller coaster then.

The Flashback, maybe that's what I'm thinking of.

Sooner24
8/1/2008, 03:16 PM
I first went to Six Flags in 1964. Had to get on the Dallas/Ft Worth Turnpike to get there.