Happy Oklahoma Sale Tax Holiday!

...in eight hours.

So, gonna get your shoppin' on? :)

Curly Bill
7/31/2008, 04:18 PM
Happy Oklahoma Sale Tax Holiday!

...in eight hours.

So, gonna get your shoppin' on? :)

No way! I'm a saxet resident these days but I avoid their's too. I'd rather pay the tax then fight the crowds, stand in line, etc...

...and no I ain't rich.

olevetonahill
7/31/2008, 04:21 PM
Im Tax free every day
Beer an all ;)

badger
7/31/2008, 04:34 PM
No way! I'm a saxet resident these days but I avoid their's too. I'd rather pay the tax then fight the crowds, stand in line, etc...

...and no I ain't rich.

You will find Oklahoma's tax-free days to be a lot less hassle than Texas'. Remember that we are only in Year Two and we based ours off of yours (a Durant border town rep came up with it), so we have improved on your model :D

Curly Bill
7/31/2008, 04:35 PM
You will find Oklahoma's tax-free days to be a lot less hassle than Texas'. Remember that we are only in Year Two and we based ours off of yours (a Durant border town rep came up with it), so we have improved on your model :D

Does improving the model mean there are no crowds? :D

badger
7/31/2008, 04:42 PM
Does improving the model mean there are no crowds? :D

I would recommend going Friday as opposed to Saturday and Sunday, but you will find crowds in malls on weekends regardless. I would say that our crowds are not Texas-sized, however.

Curly Bill
7/31/2008, 04:45 PM
You know I accidently went shopping on one of the tax-free days in the first year or two when they did it down here and it wasn't bad at all. In fact it wasn't until I paid that I realized it was tax-free. I think peeps must have been skeptical that things were really tax-free and stayed home, since then though I think they've caught on.

...and yeah, I usually try to do any shopping I need to do on a weekday when other peeps are working.

OUMallen
7/31/2008, 04:45 PM
How could they be, baj, everything's bigger in texas, right?!?

C&CDean
7/31/2008, 04:47 PM
But this is taking food out of the mouths of future generations of poor children. Please, I must pay more taxes...

badger
7/31/2008, 04:51 PM
But this is taking food out of the mouths of future generations of poor children. Please, I must pay more taxes...

Tulsa's taxes are 8.517 including city, county and state. Fortunately, it is not 8.518 or people would REALLY be in a financial crunch. Thank goodness for the VOTE NO on "Their River No" campaign :rolleyes:

(I am not kidding. 8.517. It would have been 8.518 if we approved the River Tax. People said NO to that obscure amount)

Curly Bill
7/31/2008, 04:52 PM
Tulsa's taxes are 8.517 including city, county and state. Fortunately, it is not 8.518 or people would REALLY be in a financial crunch. Thank goodness for the VOTE NO on "Their River No" campaign :rolleyes:

(I am not kidding. 8.517. It would have been 8.518 if we approved the River Tax. People said NO to that obscure amount)

Tax creep sucks. Say NO to all new taxes.

SoonerInKCMO
7/31/2008, 04:56 PM

I thought the river tax was 0.4%. Was some other tax going to be repealed if the river tax had passed?

badger
7/31/2008, 05:00 PM
I thought the river tax was 0.4%. Was some other tax going to be repealed if the river tax had passed?

You're right - it was four-tenths of a cent. See, I was so bummed about tax failage that I don't even remember the details, other than a VOTE NO rave after the final tally was official.

As you can imagine, people were celebrating... nothing. Hooray, nothing! Nothing happens, nothing changes! Noth-ing! Noth-ing! Here we go, nothing, here we go! (clap clap) Let's go nothing (clap clap clapclapclap) and so on.

:O

Mjcpr
7/31/2008, 05:01 PM
The state reimburses the cities, so you'll pay it one way or the other. :D

mdklatt
7/31/2008, 05:34 PM
Biggest scam ever.

tommieharris91
7/31/2008, 06:12 PM

Nahh, this one just makes our roads worse 'n stuff. We have rainy day funds and balanced budgets in Oklahoma.

StoopTroup
7/31/2008, 06:16 PM
Why don't the folks who wanted the River deal to pass all start sending a dollar to Kathy Taylor's office everytime they spend a say one hundred dollars? Wouldn't that solve the problem and it would proabably get paid for much quicker.

mdklatt
7/31/2008, 06:32 PM
Nahh, this one just makes our roads worse 'n stuff.

And saves shoppers less money than the normal back-to-school sales that the tax holiday has replaced to large extent. Would anybody get excited if stores were advertising "HUGE BACK-TO-SCHOOL SALE! SAVE 8% ON A VERY LIMITED NUMBER OF ITEMS!"? Not really, but call it a "tax holiday" and people lose their minds. I guess they think they're sticking it to the government, not realizing that they're going to be paying for it one way or another. Businesses love it, of course, because they can increase their traffic without having to lower their prices--all subsidized by the tax payer. FTL.

badger
8/2/2008, 11:18 AM
Why don't the folks who wanted the River deal to pass all start sending a dollar to Kathy Taylor's office everytime they spend a say one hundred dollars? Wouldn't that solve the problem and it would proabably get paid for much quicker.

People are energized because they got rid of Randi Miller. Now all of the sudden, the 12 percent of people that actually vote feel empowered to think they actually have a chance of getting rid of Queen.

No joke, she hates the nickname, but Mayor Taylor really is trying to push everything possible to save her term, especially after the river tax. She won't go out on a "no" vote. She even lessened the "fix streets now" package to less than $2 billion. Another "no" vote might send her over the edge.

Just think... a "no" vote prompted a new baseball stadium in south-North Tulsa. If they vote down her tax plan, she might just need to vote a Gladiator arena to make up for it.

People have different ways of coping with being told "no." Some people throw temper tantrums (Gov. Keating after wife was not elected in Tulsa). Some people play with guns (Aaron Burr). Some people whine to the press (Dr. Coburn after Bridge to Nowhere's passage). Some people go to trial (Infamous comic book creating Brent Rinehart).

Kathy Taylor spends money. Tell her "no" and another Tulsa monument to her mayoral legacy will be built. For the sake of Tulsa's future, perhaps we better just let her have her way and count the days until the next election.

GrapevineSooner
8/2/2008, 11:46 AM
You know, I actually agree with Klatt on this one. ;)

You're only saving money if the merchant you're buying from is holding a sale to compliment not having to pay tax on the item.

Otherwise, you're better off waiting until they have a sale of at least 10% off.

mdklatt
8/2/2008, 02:25 PM
I can hear the bridges crumbling already.

The Texas tax-free weekend was great fun when all the Okies would stream across the border and get suckered into thinking that Grapevine Mills is really an outlet mall. The best part was seeing the inevitable TV news interview:

"Yep, we drove all the way down here from Muskogee, Oklahoma, but we musta saved close to a thousand dollars on our back-to-school shopping, so it was worth it.

Now either somebody isn't very good at math, or they have a whole lotta kids. Since we're talking about the 918, my guess is a combination of both. :pop: