PDA

View Full Version : Hailcall to the Star Wars geeks

achiro
7/31/2008, 03:16 PM
Whats this new cartoon thing coming out all about? Is it the next in the series, just animated? Is it a new take on the old stories? What?

soonerboomer93
7/31/2008, 03:34 PM
it's between episode 2 and episode 3

to make that clear, it fills in what happens between those 2 movies

Fugue
7/31/2008, 03:36 PM
what's the over/under on how many times preDarth Vader cries?

GottaHavePride
7/31/2008, 03:55 PM
I'm hoping the whole project will implode from fail before it ever hits theaters.

Jacie
7/31/2008, 04:09 PM
So it's like SW, Episode 2 1/2?

badger
REAL STAR WARS FAN HERE TO AX-SPLAIN...

George Lucas, in 1999, decided that Lucasfilms was out of money and wanted to make more money with the sure-fire way that Lucas could make money: More Star Wars films.

While fans ate up the "Special Edition" films with such controversies as "Han shot first," and "Where's the Jub Jub song?" et al, Lucas was convinced that fans would turn out in droves for a film he would call "Episode One," emphasizing the prequel-ness of the film and introducing characters before the original trilogy time.

The film was a big toy commercial (do you have your Podracer models? Your authentic Darth Maul doublesided red lightsaber? your Jar Jar mask to torch?) but it did exactly that - the Star Wars geeks went out and saw the movie 20 times each and it was one of the highest grossing films of all time.

The second film was just designed to do what the first was - sell a lot of toys, get the geeks to see it 20 times and swim in money afterward. Unfortunately, geeks are inherently smart and thus, were smart enough to save their money this time around and just see it once or twice. Episode Two was a prolonged dialog two hour and 20 minute waste of time that told absolutely no story whatsoever with a screen couple that had no chemistry and overall, had a lot less success that Episode One.

Determined to create a lasting impression this time instead of just a prolonged toy commercial generated to get lots of money, Lucas decided to pull out all stops and stoop to the lowest common denominator - the original trilogy. Lucas created a movie that was so attached to the original - Darth Vader, Yoda, Obi Wan, Emperor's lightning, Chewie, the works, that geeky fandom once again struck the hearts and the wallets of Star Wars enthusiasts. Lucas saved his franchise and sold a lot of Darth Vader masks and once again had a swimming pile of money.

Unfortunately, the money pile dries up quickly and even a success like Episode 3 cannot last for more than a few years. Once again, Vader toys are on the clearance rack, commemorative DVD sets are not selling just because they're in a new package and talking like Yoda is no longer cool. Therefore, Lucas needs a new out - a new movie.

The Clone Wars hopes to capture what Lucas thinks he should have done in the first place - focus on the story everyone wanted to see in Episode 3, which will in turn, generate a crapload of money for Skywalker Ranch to continue thriving. Completely computer generated and not even including the original actors and actresses to voice the main characters, Lucas just wants fans to turn up and get reminded to buy the toys that line his wallet.

Long rant short, it's a prequel to Episode 3 and is designed to make Lucas more money.

In conclusion, I have already demanded that NP take me to see it. However, that doesn't mean that it will be good. More likely than not, it will try its best to convince me to buy an army of clone trooper replica action figures. And fail.

Okla-homey
I dunno, but at this Tulsa Defcon thingy this weekend, you can bet the geeks will be all a twitter about it.

http://www.tulsadefcon.com/

TheUnnamedSooner
7/31/2008, 04:30 PM
What really happened:

Lucas and Co. found out that there is a new Star Trek film coming out (by JJ Abrams). So they decided to throw something together real quick and have it out before Star Trek.

bri
7/31/2008, 04:48 PM
Yeah, 'cause Moneybags Lucas is afraid of the latest sad, desperate Star Trek reboot.

Widescreen
7/31/2008, 04:53 PM
I think this looks horrible. The kids want to see it so I'm sure we'll go but my expectations are not high. At all.

badger
7/31/2008, 04:57 PM
I think this looks horrible. The kids want to see it so I'm sure we'll go but my expectations are not high. At all.

Meh, just think of it as a cartoon then (since it's animated and all). Did you have high expectations for Kung Fu Panda? Of course not. CARTOON. Laugh and be amused with the kiddos. Occasionally, especially with Pixar, you might be happily surprised!

But... yeah... you're probably going to have to buy some clone trooper action figures afterward :D

Pricetag
7/31/2008, 05:36 PM
Did all of you guys miss the "Clone Wars" shorts that aired on Cartoon Network in 2003 and 2004 and have been out on DVD since then? They're set in the same time period, and are pretty entertaining all things considered. I think the same folks are in charge of this movie.

Boarder
7/31/2008, 09:42 PM
I think it will be an epic duel between this and beer for my horses for the sucktacular award of 2008. Lots of "your destiny" lines, I'm sure.

Wishboned
7/31/2008, 10:04 PM
The movie actuall sets up an animated series that will be broadcast on TNT in the fall. It was originally supposed to be shown on television, but Lucas decided to release it theatrically first. There's a precedent in this, the Buck Rogers pilot was released in theaters first, and the original Battlestar Galactica was released in theaters after the series was cancelled.

It's being distributed by Warner, and all the other movies were distributed by Fox.

King Crimson
7/31/2008, 11:10 PM
i used to like Star Wars as much as any kid, but who cares anymore?

it's crap. you'd think after Peter Jackson knocked the ball out of the park with LOTR, Lucas would "step up".**

**though the Hobbit "sequel" unwritten by Tolkein may put the franchise into Jar Jar territory.

StoopTroup
8/1/2008, 12:11 AM
So it's like SW, Episode 2 1/2?

Thinking that way reminds me of JackA$$ 2.5 and boy was that good. :rolleyes:

TheUnnamedSooner
8/1/2008, 09:23 AM
Or the Naked Gun 33 1/3

bri
8/1/2008, 10:24 AM
Did all of you guys miss the "Clone Wars" shorts that aired on Cartoon Network in 2003 and 2004 and have been out on DVD since then? They're set in the same time period, and are pretty entertaining all things considered. I think the same folks are in charge of this movie.

No, it's an entirely different crew and a different style of animation.

I'm gonna go see it, but it's gonna be weird seeing a Star Wars movie that doesn't have the 20th Century Fox fanfare at the beginning. Kinda like seeing Michael Jordan in a Wizards uniform for the first time. :eek:

StoopTroup
8/1/2008, 12:26 PM
Bri...do not anger the Jordan.

http://www.thebreeze.org/archives/11.18.02/sports/MJ.jpg

Pricetag
8/1/2008, 12:48 PM
No, it's an entirely different crew and a different style of animation.

Hmmm. The characters look so similar to those from the others that I assumed they were the same folks.

bri
8/1/2008, 01:31 PM
The Tartakovsky series was used for inspiration, along with the look of the old Thunderbirds series. But it's all 3D CGI animation this time around, while the original Clone Wars episodes were traditional.

Pricetag
8/1/2008, 02:15 PM
Yeah, I had hoped they had just kicked it up a level on the style instead of it being a whole new deal. Maybe it will still be pretty good, but I was hoping for the same folks from the earlier stuff.

bri
8/1/2008, 02:27 PM
Nope. This is coming entirely from Lucasfilm, with George "heavily involved" in the stories. But since he's not writing dialogue or directing, that's okay.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

proud gonzo
8/1/2008, 05:39 PM
I'm going to pretend the whole thing doesn't exist. I reject your reality and substitute my own.

bri
8/1/2008, 07:00 PM
http://yourargumentisinvalid.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/bear_cavalry.jpg