PDA

View Full Version : Don't look now, but.....

AllAboutThe'O'
7/30/2008, 10:42 PM
the Rangers are in the pennant chase. The wildcard chase, that is. As of tonight, Texas is 4 1/2 games back of Boston in the wildcard hunt (I'm pretty much going to concede the AL West to El Segundo). If you had told me before the season that the Rangers would have a winning record and be in the hunt for a playoff spot on the first day of August, I probably would have been skeptical. But this team, aside from that horrid April beginning, is just flat-out overachieving this year.
At the same time, I don't want the Rangers to be buyers at the trade deadline; I want to keep all our young studs, especially our pitchers. However, it's pretty nice to have the Rangers keep things interesting for at least another few weeks.

GrapevineSooner
7/30/2008, 11:10 PM
Yep, best to stay with the plan.

I'm sure the Halos had a lot to do with it, but with the way Boston's been playing after the All-Star Break and the hullabaloo surrounding Manny, it wouldn't surprise me if the Rangers pass the Red Sox at some point between now and October. Problem is, the Rangers have two other teams besides the Sox to catch.

Curly Bill
7/30/2008, 11:13 PM
Yeah, can we please not give up anymore of our young pitchers. Danks and Volquez anyone?

Curly Bill
7/30/2008, 11:14 PM
...and yup I know Volquez brought us Hamilton.

tommieharris91
7/30/2008, 11:31 PM
The Rangers really shouldn't be buyers. 4.5 games back in the WC race is still a ways out.

Scott D
7/30/2008, 11:55 PM
Yeah, can we please not give up anymore of our young pitchers. Danks and Volquez anyone?

Masset's been pretty decent in long relief.

Curly Bill
7/30/2008, 11:58 PM
Masset's been pretty decent in long relief.

I don't remember that name? Ex-Ranger I guess?

Scott D
7/31/2008, 12:09 AM
he came to Chicago with Danks for Brandon McCarthy

Curly Bill
7/31/2008, 12:10 AM
he came to Chicago with Danks for Brandon McCarthy

So, that makes this trade suck even harder!

Scott D
7/31/2008, 09:41 AM
So, that makes this trade suck even harder!

I like it well enough. :D

tommieharris91
7/31/2008, 10:44 AM
I like it well enough. :D

Masset just turned into Ken Griffey Jr.

Scott D
7/31/2008, 11:38 AM
Masset just turned into Ken Griffey Jr.

too bad Griff is only going to be a partial season rental :(

Paperclip
7/31/2008, 03:58 PM
So, how are the White Sox going to use him? Is he going to take ABs away from Thome?

poke4christ
7/31/2008, 04:18 PM
I don't think loosing the young pitchers is gonna be a problem anymore. Thank you Nolan Ryan.

Curly Bill
7/31/2008, 04:21 PM
I don't think loosing the young pitchers is gonna be a problem anymore. Thank you Nolan Ryan.

I started to say: you don't think losing Danks and Volquez is a problem....

...but you meant we won't be losing any young pitchers in the future because of Nolan right?

...and on this I think you're right.

Scott D
7/31/2008, 04:28 PM
So, how are the White Sox going to use him? Is he going to take ABs away from Thome?

it sounds like the plan is to have Griffey in center, with Swisher platooning with Konerko at first, and Konerko and possibly Griffey platooning with Thome as the DH.

We'll see how long that lasts.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/1/2008, 11:38 PM
We did it again. Down 6-0 and down by two runs in the bottom of the ninth, we pull out another wild win, 9-8.
Then minutes later we fire the pitching coach and the bullpen coach. Andy Hawkins, who was the pitching coach for the RedHawks is now the new pitching coach.

garland sooner
8/2/2008, 12:42 AM
It's about time. I am tired of seeing pitchers get worse when they arrive from elsewhere. It sounds like Hawkins is going to be great.

btw, this team is sick. I love watching these guys play.