PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone hear what Joe C said?

soonerguild
7/30/2008, 06:39 PM
Apparently Joe C was on the sports animal recently with Al and said something about renovating the LNC and the have brought it up the last couple of days but I keep hearing the end of the conversations. Anyone hear the interview?

Boomer.....
7/31/2008, 07:24 AM
I didn't hear the initial conversation, but I heard Al talking about it later. He was completely surprised by the comments. It would be great to see the LNC renovated into a BB arena, but that would take a ton of work and time.

Crimsontothecore
7/31/2008, 07:47 AM
Al asked Joe C. if there are plans to build a new arena and Joe said that it would make more sense to renovate LNC. Al asked him when such a project might get underway but Joe C. wouldn't give a time table. He did say that there are other projects that are a higher priority right now. It wasn't like Joe C. was announcing plans for a renovation. He was just responding to Al's question.
I wouldn't expect anything soon.

NormanPride
7/31/2008, 10:27 AM
While I would love to see it into a BBall arena, I hope that wouldn't hinder our national championship winning gymnastics teams...

badger
7/31/2008, 11:07 AM
While I would love to see it into a BBall arena, I hope that wouldn't hinder our national championship winning gymnastics teams...

True. I would also hate to see them destroy the perfect volleyball atmosphere at the Fieldhouse by expanding and renovating it for basketball. I mean, OU volleyball is a postseason team!

Therefore, there shall be no renovating of either LNC or the Fieldhouse. Surely Boren can find a way to build the basketball teams a new building somewhere, like Gould Hall. But really, who cares about basketball? What have they done for us lately besides make us speculate whether Duke will take Capel away? Zzzz. Boring basketball. Might as well be the San Antonio Spurs with all their teamwork and fundamentals. Ick, fundamentals have no place in college basketball. What are we, the WNBA? Please. Just fire the coaches, discontinue the programs and give the scholarship money to our new rowing team. OU basketball is SO 1988.

Ton Loc
7/31/2008, 12:49 PM
True. I would also hate to see them destroy the perfect volleyball atmosphere at the Fieldhouse by expanding and renovating it for basketball. I mean, OU volleyball is a postseason team!

Therefore, there shall be no renovating of either LNC or the Fieldhouse. Surely Boren can find a way to build the basketball teams a new building somewhere, like Gould Hall. But really, who cares about basketball? What have they done for us lately besides make us speculate whether Duke will take Capel away? Zzzz. Boring basketball. Might as well be the San Antonio Spurs with all their teamwork and fundamentals. Ick, fundamentals have no place in college basketball. What are we, the WNBA? Please. Just fire the coaches, discontinue the programs and give the scholarship money to our new rowing team. OU basketball is SO 1988.

Where's the :rolleyes: after the post? ;)

I'd love to see Joe C's and Boren's priority list. I wonder where the LNC/basketball program resides on it. Something tells me its not where I would like it to be.

Boomer.....
7/31/2008, 01:31 PM
With the team expected to be as good as it is and wanting to keep Capel, I bet it is moving up.

badger
7/31/2008, 03:54 PM
Where's the :rolleyes: after the post? ;)

I'd love to see Joe C's and Boren's priority list. I wonder where the LNC/basketball program resides on it. Something tells me its not where I would like it to be.

No need to put smileyes after every post, especially when you are emphasizing the serious tone of your e-mail... before bursting out of LOLness :D:D:D:D

A priority list of Joe C, eh? Well, let's check their track records, shall we?

Boren: Started in 1994.
Castiglione: Started in 1998.

Since that time...

Joe C: Renovated LNC for $17.2 million.
Boren: Build a Natural History museum in 2000.

Advantage: Sam Noble Museum. We all dislike the LNC and its carpet walls.

Joe C: Headington Family Tennis Complex
Boren: Convince Max to donate his family's painting collection and then build a museum that resembles the family mansion.

Advantage: Joe C. The tennis facility kills two birds with one stone, as it also houses soccer, while the museum renovation has a bunch of "Do not touch" signs... and the walls rub white dust on you if you lean against them! Boooo.

Joe C: Airplane hanger Everett Training Facility
Boren: Gaylord Hall and Price Hall, named for Gaylord and Price family donors.

Advantage: Everett. The new halls not only minimized parking and driving routes, but the students that attend class at them hog parking and are notoriously bad drivers.

Joe C: Heisman statues complete with Billy Sims afro.
Boren: Random statues that appear in OU infomercials during football games.

Advantage: HEISMAN! While Vessels had to be resized to match Owens' big arm, Boren's art tastes are quite questionable - a rusting tarot card outside Fred Jones comes to mind.

Joe C: Renovate the football stadium and name it after Gaylord
Boren: Research Campus waaaaaay south of everything else near LNC

Advantage: While it is a long trek, the advantage goes to an area boasting a National Weather Center, Stephenson Research Facility and.... a bunch of Partners Place buildings. The stadium update couldn't even match the existing upper deck? And they named it after Gaylord instead of being a memorial to fallen soldiers?!?!

In the oddball category...

Boren: A swinging pendulum in the Physics building.
Joe C: A mini-Washington monument in memory of soldiers

Advantage: Even. I have heard to awful nicknames for the monument, and nobody knows about the pendulum except physics students.

Boren: Raise donor money to fund scholarships.
Joe C: Raise ticket prices to fund academics.

Advantage: Ticket prices. Nobody will fund academics (aside from tuition paying students) unless OU-Texas tickets are involved. This includes elected officials.

Boren: Donor plea - "If you pay us enough we'll name a building after you!"
Joe C: NCAA plea - "If you don't enforce rules on USC and others, why are you considering dropping the ban hammer on OU?!"

Advantage: Joe C. We have gotten on relatively easy (and with our 2005 season wins!), while Boren has had far less luck persuading the state legislature and donors to build more on campus.

Finally... one final category for all the marbles. "When times are tough..."

Boren: Raise tuition, raise donor funds and beg the state legislature to bail you out after the new buildings cost money to maintain!
Joe C: Raise ticket prices, raise donor funds and ban everything fun for fans after past embarrassments on national television.

Advantage: Even. They both lose ;)

SoonerDutch
7/31/2008, 11:42 PM
Why is renovating McCasland Fieldhouse such a bad idea? Sure it would leave LNC vacant and useless, but it would move basketball back into the main campus and it would decrease capacity to a point where OU basketball tickets might actually be in high demand.

Collier11
8/1/2008, 01:01 AM
I like it

blanks
8/2/2008, 05:10 PM
Why is renovating McCasland Fieldhouse such a bad idea? Sure it would leave LNC vacant and useless, but it would move basketball back into the main campus and it would decrease capacity to a point where OU basketball tickets might actually be in high demand.

Moving basketball back to McCasland Fieldhouse is a bad idea. What about the coaches offices and the practice arenas. Plus, now three sports would be using the same building. :confused:

As for the renovation of LNC, the priority is close to being the next on the list. As soon as some of the latest projects are to be completed, LNC will be the next project for athletics. As everyone knows a study was commisioned to see if floor could be lowered, but the water table is too high. As to what Joe C. said to Al and what he has mentioned before, is that an $100 million dollar bond will be required to tear out the seating area, raise the roof and totally redo the interior of LNC to move the fans closer to the basketball floor. Also, they want to change the shape from an oval to square for the seating areas.
A second plan is for a totally new arena for the men's and women's basketball teams. I like the idea of building a new arena north of the track and east of McCasland Fieldhouse. This plan is not dead yet. This would allow both of the men's and women's gymnastics to take over the LNC.

JohnnyMack
8/4/2008, 09:19 AM
There are drawings floating around that show a much different LNC. I believe Sparks did the work and what I snuck a look at doesn't look anything like what it currently resembles, inside or out.

soonerguild
8/4/2008, 10:35 AM
There are drawings floating around that show a much different LNC. I believe Sparks did the work and what I snuck a look at doesn't look anything like what it currently resembles, inside or out.

any chance youll tell me where to find these drawings?

JohnnyMack
8/4/2008, 10:48 AM
Nope.

:)

StoopTroup
8/4/2008, 12:47 PM
I think it would be cool to have an arena that put you into your assigned seat at the entrance and it delivered you to your seat area like a Jetsons type chair.

15 minutes before tipoff all folks who are seated will be consolidated into the best seats in the hOUse.

Anyone (Donor or not) who hadn't entered the building 15 minutes before tipoff would be put in the next General admission area on a first come first serve basis.

bonkuba
8/5/2008, 08:35 AM

We have gymnastics? I thought that was only in San Fran??;) :D

OUmillenium
8/12/2008, 01:22 PM
I think the fieldhouse should be renovated and host 1 or 2 games per year there. Like some of the popcorn st teams we play on Christmas break. That would be cool!

badger
8/13/2008, 10:33 AM
I think the fieldhouse should be renovated and host 1 or 2 games per year there. Like some of the popcorn st teams we play on Christmas break. That would be cool!

My froshie year they had wimmen's preseason games there... but alas, the crowds got too big for them to keep doing that :D