PDA

View Full Version : Now, for the record...

Okla-homey
7/30/2008, 06:15 PM
these are things that p1ssed me off about the bar exam.

1. People who don't record their deeds:

Hey. doosh. That's a nice deed you got there. Went ahead and bought Stankacre, didya? That's awesome. Owning property is a sign of real maturity. Now, why don't you do us all a flippin' favor, and go record the flipping deed.

Right. Flipping. Now.

Don't put it in a damn drawer. Don't go off to India for 20 years. Don't leave the deed in your will for dear cousin Victorianox. Get your fat lazy arse down to the records office, and record it before I burn your damn house down.

2: Wily property sellers:

Here is a suggestion to those Bill of Rights violatin' petty thug a$$ clowns, the Police. How about you go down to Blackacre, and arrest the son of a b1tch who sells the same house to 15 different people, over and over. Im sick of this guy getting away every time he pulls this crap, and I'm left to sort out the pieces.

3: 'Known' arsonists

Here's a little tip to all the cretins that keep hiring 'known' arsonists to burn down their cheating girlfriend's house. Why is it, do you think, that he is a known arsonist, you dipwad. He's known because he has been caught before. You don't know who the good arsonists are, do you! Because they have their shiite together.

But no, you had to go hire Dusseldorf, or Durango, or whatever D word your moron arsonist is named, and now he's gone and burned the wrong house, and left me with a BAR question.

4: People who back out of conspiracies.

Why don't you just stick with it and save us all some trouble, you puss.

5. Power companies that leave an electric wire live to deter copper theft

While I appreciate your effort to rid the world of thieves stupid enough to try and steal raw copper wiring that's humming and has blue arcs dancing on it, it's just gonna bite you in the buttocks in the end. Just let the copper go.

6. Fertile Octogenarians

I think I speak for all of us when I say........Burn the witch! Burn her! And don't use a 'known' arsonist!

7. People who use anything more complicated than Fee Simple Absolute in a will

Hey, old man. Either give Horatio your interest in Scroteacre, or don't, alright? Don't condition it on him growing a mustache, or learning to play the calliope, or winning 'Dancing with the Stars.' Don't grant a springing executive interest to Zenobia if she manages to graduate from Ninja academy.

Stop making my life more complicated than it needs to be, you Narcissistic old twit, and stop trying to control your property from the grave in a vain attempt to make up for your feebleness in life.

8. House Painters

Just paint the damn house yourself, Paulson. Trust me on this one. It's not worth it.

9. Bank Mortgages

Hi there, First National Bank of South Calizonachussettsas. I don't mean to tell you how to run your business, but allow me to impart a bit of sage wisdom.

When someone :

1) named Defaultina McBankrupstein,
2) is taking out her 17th mortgage with you,
3) on a place called Mushacre
4) so she can buy a new hat,

do NOT come crying to me when the inevitable judicial foreclosure sale nets $34, a button, and some lint, all of which are devoured by the banks that are 20 miles ahead of you in creditor line.

And do not ask me whether you are a junior or senior mortgagor, or whether you debt is secured, or some other bullbutter I don't understand, because the answer is always the same.

D) You are Hosed. Take it like a man.

10. Wanna-be Burglars

I am sick to death of these slackjawed melon-heads deciding at 2 a.m. that they need to borrow their neighbors wrench, and are sure he 'won't mind' if they saunter on over there in the middle of the night, crowbar the garage open, smash open his tool chest, and 'borrow it.' And then always the inevitable:

Did he commit Larceny/Burglary/Robbery??? Ohhhhh, no intent!

Let him go, boys. Let the man go. So I can throw the wrench right at his damn teeth.

Good thing is in practice we will have these "Intent Goggles" that can magically tell us, despite every bit of evidence to the contrary, this jackass really didn't intend to commit a crime. He genuinely thought that breaking into your neighbor's house, stealing his car, taking a crap on his pool table, and sleeping with his wife were all part of the social covenants between good neighbors.

mdklatt
7/30/2008, 06:22 PM
5. Power companies that leave an electric wire live to deter copper theft

While I appreciate your effort to rid the world of thieves stupid enough to try and steal raw copper wiring that's humming and has blue arcs dancing on it, it's just gonna bite you in the buttocks in the end. Just let the copper go.

:D

olevetonahill
7/30/2008, 06:26 PM
This Is No **** Homes
Our Local PoPo chief told Me I needed to wire Up some Of my stuff to Keep the Crackheads from stealing it :D

Frozen Sooner
7/30/2008, 06:28 PM
6. Fertile Octogenarians

I think I speak for all of us when I say........Burn the witch! Burn her! And don't use a 'known' arsonist!

So, you're done now, right?

Congratulations on getting through it. I'm sure your passed with flying colors.

Please tell me you didn't rely on anything I told you about CP.

Okla-homey
7/30/2008, 06:29 PM
This Is No **** Homes
Our Local PoPo chief told Me I needed to wire Up some Of my stuff to Keep the Crackheads from stealing it :D

DON'T DO IT.

Frozen Sooner
7/30/2008, 06:29 PM
Oh, yeah, and as for recording property sales, etc...

Just had a gentleman in my office who was closing on a RE-secured loan. Except he wasn't.

See, he brought his wife down to sign the trust deed as she has an interestein the property through Joint Tenancy. Except the person named on the trust deed was not his wife.

It was his ex-wife. Who he divorced 30 years ago. And never recorded the Quit-claim Deed from.

Good luck ever selling the place, friend.

olevetonahill
7/30/2008, 06:30 PM
So Homester
I dont Have Much . Just 42 acres Mortgaged to the Hilt But worth In the Long run about 4 times what I owe
Should I make a will ?
Or Just let the Kids fight and stuff ?

olevetonahill
7/30/2008, 06:31 PM
DON'T DO IT.

I aint gonna
I said Ya right then I get arrested
He said Naw Ill give you time to Get rid of the Wire :D

Okla-homey
7/30/2008, 06:32 PM
6. Fertile Octogenarians

So, you're done now, right?

Congratulations on getting through it. I'm sure your passed with flying colors.

Please tell me you didn't rely on anything I told you about CP.

there was nary a question on commercial paper. Quite a bit of secured transactions though. Typically priority battles between secured creditors amidst the debtors bankruptcy. But thanks though just the same.

Here's the sad part. Today, I am at my absolute mental zenith of general knowledge about the law...of course, it doesn't mean its more than an inch deep, but at least I'll recoginize issues when I see 'em. I guess. <belch>

olevetonahill
7/30/2008, 06:33 PM

Just had a gentleman in my office who was closing on a RE-secured loan. Except he wasn't.

See, he brought his wife down to sign the trust deed as she has an interestein the property through Joint Tenancy. Except the person named on the trust deed was not his wife.

It was his ex-wife. Who he divorced 30 years ago. And never recorded the Quit-claim Deed from.

I made My last ex sign a QQD and Filed it Befor I gave her a dime :cool:
Cause Im smart and stuff

Frozen Sooner
7/30/2008, 06:36 PM
there was nary a question on commercial paper. Quite a bit of secured transactions though. Typically priority battles between secured creditors amidst the debtors bankruptcy. But thanks though just the same.

Wouldn't have been able to help you on the banko stuff. My general response to my priority in a banko is "We're secured? Gimme a reaff or gimme my ****."

Communicated to the attorney, of course. Not the debtor.

For some good stuff on BK law, try www.creditslips.org. Really good blog.

Okla-homey
7/30/2008, 06:38 PM
So Homester
I dont Have Much . Just 42 acres Mortgaged to the Hilt But worth In the Long run about 4 times what I owe
Should I make a will ?

I'd get one if I were you. It cuts down on squabbling. However, my best advice is to try to avoid probate altogether. Find you a shark down your way and tell him that's your aim. You can do that for about the same fee.

Okla-homey
7/30/2008, 06:42 PM

and if she's dead, guess what? Her in interest might well belong to several people now. That kinda thing can get messy real qweek!

olevetonahill
7/30/2008, 06:43 PM
I'd get one if I were you. It cuts down on squabbling. However, my best advice is to try to avoid probate altogether. Find you a shark down your way and tell him that's your aim. You can do that for about the same fee.

Yea but It aint worht **** If they dont wanta Pay it off
I have enough Life Insurance to Pay about 1/2 the Balance
Cant get anymore Cause The VA wont release My Med records

olevetonahill
7/30/2008, 06:46 PM
and if she's dead, guess what? Her in interest might well belong to several people now. That kinda thing can get messy real qweek!

Yup I bot 40 acres about 16 years ago
This Young guys Mom died left Him the Property,
My last ex asked Me why I was reading the Abstract so thorough
I told Her this Is why .
I pointed Out that Dad had Bot the property Before Marring Mom and Nevar had her Name Added .
Cost the Ole boy almost as Much as He got fer the property to Perfect Title ;)

Wishboned
7/30/2008, 06:55 PM
So Homester
Should I make a will ?

Having just finished up my dad's estate through probate today, from my perspective, always, ALWAYS, have a will.

My dad used to joke about just letting me and my sister fight for it. But then he got Alzheimer's and his ex sister in law talked him into leaving her everything, and putting her name on the deed. Luckily I had an excellent lawyer, and it never even went to court.

But still, just the ordeal of all of it wore me out.

sooner_born_1960
7/30/2008, 06:55 PM
If you all don't mind, I'd like to back up to #3. How can one tell if the arsonist he's complating employing is "known"? Is there some kind of register a guy could go look at?

olevetonahill
7/30/2008, 06:57 PM
If you all don't mind, I'd like to back up to #3. How can one tell if the arsonist he's complating employing is "known"? Is there some kind of register a guy could go look at?

Peem me Ill hook you up ;)

Okla-homey
7/30/2008, 06:58 PM

well sure. You just Google "arsonists" with your zip code.;)

olevetonahill
7/30/2008, 06:59 PM
Homey or Tax type folks
Im thinkin about Just transfering Title to My Boys
Have em Put On the Note with Me
will that work ?

Rogue
7/30/2008, 07:09 PM
Homey or Tax type folks
will that work ?

Not a tax type, but as one that watches estates get messy often.
Since you're service-connected enough to not have to worry about a nursing home if you stroke out (god forbid), the tax implications for the kiddos might not be worth it right now.

Course, there's probably lots of other variables I don't know about that could factor in here.

olevetonahill
7/30/2008, 07:12 PM
Not a tax type, but as one that watches estates get messy often.
Since you're service-connected enough to not have to worry about a nursing home if you stroke out (god forbid), the tax implications for the kiddos might not be worth it right now.

Course, there's probably lots of other variables I don't know about that could factor in here.

Im thinkin they gonna reap the Benefits from Holding on
Plus If they are On the Note with Me they Can use the Deducts
am I wrong ?

Rogue
7/30/2008, 07:14 PM
Mebbe. I was thinking it's an "asset" but with you owing so much, maybe not.

olevetonahill
7/30/2008, 07:18 PM
Mebbe. I was thinking it's an "asset" but with you owing so much, maybe not.

Your a Lot Of Help Thanks :P

Rogue
7/30/2008, 07:19 PM
Heh. :D

AlbqSooner
7/30/2008, 08:34 PM
Ahhh Homey - going through the post bar blues. That chit will deep fry your brain. Now, go back and re-read all of those items you mentioned in your original post and think of them in terms of billable hours. Be GLAD people seem to fug up so many ways. It is called job security. Besides, in a few years you can hire some recent bar admittee and pay him a pittance to research for you while you rake the lion's share of the aforementioned billables.

Okla-homey
7/31/2008, 05:19 AM
Ahhh Homey - going through the post bar blues. That chit will deep fry your brain. Now, go back and re-read all of those items you mentioned in your original post and think of them in terms of billable hours. Be GLAD people seem to fug up so many ways. It is called job security. Besides, in a few years you can hire some recent bar admittee and pay him a pittance to research for you while you rake the lion's share of the aforementioned billables.

No question. If people could learn from others mistakes, there would be no need for lawyers. It does not appear that contingency is ever likely to occur, since no one believes they'll get caught when they do a bad thing, or, they think the rules don't/shouldn't/can't (take your pick) apply to them. Thus, there'll be plenty of law work for everyone to infinity and beyond.

mdklatt
8/1/2008, 08:50 PM
Okla-homey, please call your office.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/080208dnmetmanstuck.352a564.html

bonkuba
8/1/2008, 10:49 PM
[quote=Okla-homey;2350038]5. Power companies that leave an electric wire live to deter copper theft

I am sorry but this is some of the funniest stuff I have ever seen. I have read about this and then it happened around here......I seriously thought I was gonna die laughing. The idiot trying to steal the copper had his pants burnt off and and had severe burns.....well that might keep him from working....oh wait a minute :D :D :D

I have to admit I have set little traps at my place of business for the idiots that try to steal from me.....and sure is fun to have the police call you and say "Um.....can you come down here to your store and let this guy out of your storage trailer?" I say....yeah sure I will be down there in a few hours.....gotta do a few things.

Some would say I should feel sorry for these morons. But a thief, to me, is just taking up my air and deserves whatever he (or she) gets.....ie my Boot in their ***, 9mm casing (in said ***), etc.

Completely understand what you are saying Homey....about the legal side of things. But geeeeesh things are WAY too slanted for the folks trying to take advantage (i.e Stealing, etc, etc,etc).....

Anyway, off my box......hahaha!! :D :D

Paperclip
8/1/2008, 11:26 PM
Homey or Tax type folks
will that work ?

I'm not a lawyer, but I think your boys will lose the step up in cost basis if you transfer it now. They'll get the step up if they inherit it. Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken.

Okla-homey
8/2/2008, 04:21 AM
[quote=Okla-homey;2350038]5. Power companies that leave an electric wire live to deter copper theft

I am sorry but this is some of the funniest stuff I have ever seen. I have read about this and then it happened around here......I seriously thought I was gonna die laughing. The idiot trying to steal the copper had his pants burnt off and and had severe burns.....well that might keep him from working....oh wait a minute :D :D :D

I have to admit I have set little traps at my place of business for the idiots that try to steal from me.....and sure is fun to have the police call you and say "Um.....can you come down here to your store and let this guy out of your storage trailer?" I say....yeah sure I will be down there in a few hours.....gotta do a few things.

Some would say I should feel sorry for these morons. But a thief, to me, is just taking up my air and deserves whatever he (or she) gets.....ie my Boot in their ***, 9mm casing (in said ***), etc.

Completely understand what you are saying Homey....about the legal side of things. But geeeeesh things are WAY too slanted for the folks trying to take advantage (i.e Stealing, etc, etc,etc).....

Anyway, off my box......hahaha!! :D :D

Just remember, the whole point of that diatribe about the copper was to say its illegal to use deadly force to protect property. If someone dies, even if they are Mr Crooky McBurglarstein, the person who laid the trap for 'em could be in a lot of trouble. Very likely manslaughter, maybe even murder depending on the facts.

FWIW, the case everyone reads when they are first introduced to the concept the first year in law skool involves some codger who owned an old farmhouse out in the boonies. Inside, he stored some antiques, but he didn't live there. Just used the old house as a place to store stuff. Predictably, the guy starts losing stuff to break-ins. So what does he do? He rigs up the front and back door with shotguns somehow so that anyone who opens either door gets a blast below the waist.

Sure enough, someone got blasted. The old dude went to the hoosegow. Moral? No deadly force to protect property.

bonkuba
8/2/2008, 07:05 AM
[quote=bonkuba;2352248]

Just remember, the whole point of that diatribe about the copper was to say its illegal to use deadly force to protect property. If someone dies, even if they are Mr Crooky McBurglarstein, the person who laid the trap for 'em could be in a lot of trouble. Very likely manslaughter, maybe even murder depending on the facts.

FWIW, the case everyone reads when they are first introduced to the concept the first year in law skool involves some codger who owned an old farmhouse out in the boonies. Inside, he stored some antiques, but he didn't live there. Just used the old house as a place to store stuff. Predictably, the guy starts losing stuff to break-ins. So what does he do? He rigs up the front and back door with shotguns somehow so that anyone who opens either door gets a blast below the waist.

Sure enough, someone got blasted. The old dude went to the hoosegow. Moral? No deadly force to protect property.

Well, I guees the moral of the story is that someone got blasted (good I say...).

Again, just plain sucks that the laws protect the thiefs and not the ones trying to protect our property from said thieves (crackheads, etc).

Carry on:D