PDA

View Full Version : A good explanation on Sam or not?

IronHorseSooner
7/30/2008, 03:55 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/07/29/mailbag/1.html

I agree that the reason that Sam isn't mentioned is illogical. If voters/media/fans use any of these reasons to not consider Big Easy as a Heisman contender, then it shows just how much of a joke the award is becoming. BTW, I will venture to say that Sam will be a better pro than any of those others mentioned (especially Booger and Harrell).:mad:

badger
7/30/2008, 04:45 PM
Ok, let's TRY not to be biased Sooner fans for a second and think of this like a biased Texas Whorn fan, instead.

Now, put on your cowboy hat and grunt your best "Keep Austin Weird" accent:

"That Sam ain't nuthin'! All he ever does is pass it near that Malcolm Kelly receiver or that Jermaine Gresham tight end guy or hand the ball off to that Demarco Murray guy and THEY do all the work. Hell, did you see that guy's passes go behind that Malcolm Kelly guy over and over and how many yards were AFTER the catch last season? That Sam ain' nuthin'! His teammates do all the work!"

See, all you have to do is think and act like a whorn and the answer comes out :D

NormanPride
7/30/2008, 04:51 PM
See, all you have to do is think and act like a whorn and the answer comes out :D

This is never EVER true.

badger
7/30/2008, 04:55 PM
This is never EVER true.

Hmmm...

Whorns are honest straightforward people, unlike the rest of college football. We are the only ones that have the answers and all other fanbases are full of t-shirt wearing idiots. And they're fat. And they're bald. And they're poor.

Ok, so perhaps not :mad:

olevetonahill
7/30/2008, 05:02 PM
Ok, let's TRY not to be biased Sooner fans for a second and think of this like a biased Texas Whorn fan, instead.

Now, put on your cowboy hat and grunt your best "Keep Austin Weird" accent:

"That Sam ain't nuthin'! All he ever does is pass it near that Malcolm Kelly receiver or that Jermaine Gresham tight end guy or hand the ball off to that Demarco Murray guy and THEY do all the work. Hell, did you see that guy's passes go behind that Malcolm Kelly guy over and over and how many yards were AFTER the catch last season? That Sam ain' nuthin'! His teammates do all the work!"

I thot and acted Like a :texan: Earlier
then had to use the Plunger On the Commode.

TheUnnamedSooner
7/30/2008, 05:06 PM

I would figure using the plunger on the commode was acting like a :texan: too

JLEW1818
7/30/2008, 05:07 PM
Ya the Heisman is getting a little meaningless these days. However, Tebow was the best player in the nation last year. If a tech qb ever wins it, I'll probably drive up there and kill someone.

Tulsa_Fireman
7/30/2008, 05:08 PM
No, EATING what was in the commode would be whornish.

olevetonahill
7/30/2008, 05:11 PM
No, EATING what was in the commode would be whornish.

I didnt think My sewar Line went that far :eek:
http://www.krld.com/Bizarre-Animal-Washes-Up-on-Beach--Photo-/2694437

olevetonahill
7/30/2008, 05:14 PM
Oh and Thanks CVS fer the Link :D

soonerfan28
7/30/2008, 05:28 PM
That's a bull**** explanantion. How is he a system QB in a system where we run the ball a hell of a lot. We are good at developing QB's and not just having them throw 50 time a game. The guy threw for 21 and 22 straight completions last year. That's unbelievable. I'm not biased I just think he's the best QB in the conference and one of the best in the nation. Everybody needs to get off of Daniel and Harrell's nuts and see that Sam is the best.

olevetonahill
7/30/2008, 05:32 PM
That's a bull**** explanantion. How is he a system QB in a system where we run the ball a hell of a lot. We are good at developing QB's and not just having them throw 50 time a game. The guy threw for 21 and 22 straight completions last year. That's unbelievable. I'm not biased I just think he's the best QB in the conference and one of the best in the nation. Everybody needs to get off of Daniel and Harrell's nuts and see that Sam is the best.

Im Biased does that make me a bad person ?;)

soonerfan28
7/30/2008, 05:57 PM
If we are going to say that Bradford doesn't have all of the tools then I would agree, but he is the most intelligent QB in the Big XII. Ryan Leaf had the tools, but my dog could play QB better then him, so I'll take Bradford 7 days a week.

olevetonahill
7/30/2008, 06:00 PM
If we are going to say that Bradford doesn't have all of the tools then I would agree, but he is the most intelligent QB in the Big XII. Ryan Leaf had the tools, but my dog could play QB better then him, so I'll take Bradford 7 days a week.

What Tools he be Missin ?:confused:

JLEW1818
7/30/2008, 06:07 PM
I bet he pulls some females.

olevetonahill
7/30/2008, 06:08 PM
I bet he pulls some females.

So Ya sayin He AINT Missin THAT tool huh ?

NYC Poke
7/30/2008, 06:12 PM
That must suck to have to fill column space during the off-season. I getting pretty sick of all the recycled preseason storylines (Georgia Tech will be running the wishbone! That's crazy!!! Except the wishbone is kinda like the spread, in that there is a QB and a RB! And it's run by Florida! And West Virginia!!!).

However, I read them all.

JLEW1818
7/30/2008, 06:13 PM
Ya. He is definitely the most popular person in Norman, Oklahoma. haha
The fame
The talent

olevetonahill
7/30/2008, 06:17 PM
Ya. He is definitely the most popular person in Norman, Oklahoma. haha
The fame
The talent

I follow him around Hoping for His Culls ;)

goodonya
7/30/2008, 06:23 PM
Don't worry, throughout history mankind has always badmouthed or criticized what they cannot explain. Kinda like UT's coach not winning but one championship (of the NC-kind) in his 20+ year career.

birddog
7/30/2008, 06:28 PM

here i sit buns aflexin', about to give birth to another texan.

olevetonahill
7/30/2008, 06:39 PM
here i sit buns aflexin', about to give birth to another texan.

But there was a ****pot Full of em :eek:

SoonerInLubbock
7/30/2008, 07:58 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/07/29/mailbag/1.html

I agree that the reason that Sam isn't mentioned is illogical. If voters/media/fans use any of these reasons to not consider Big Easy as a Heisman contender, then it shows just how much of a joke the award is becoming. BTW, I will venture to say that Sam will be a better pro than any of those others mentioned (especially Booger and Harrell).:mad:

I'm cool with Sammy just flyin under the radar for now. No reason to fill his head up with all the Heisman talk IMHO.

We all know how good he is. :cool:

rainiersooner
7/31/2008, 02:20 AM
I think Mandel missed it; he got a good deal of press - but he was a freshmen and they are generally ignored. If he keeps playing this year like he did last year, he'll win the Heisman.

KingBarry
7/31/2008, 05:14 AM
I think Mandel missed it; he got a good deal of press - but he was a freshmen and they are generally ignored. If he keeps playing this year like he did last year, he'll win the Heisman.

Yeah, that's right. Also, I think there's a perception that Sammy has racked up very solid stats, but hasn't been a dynamic playmaker, the kind that can break a game open at any moment. Compare him with AD. AD came in with all kinds of visibility, and was a threat to score whenever he touched the ball. I just can't see that Sammy has emerged as that kind of difference maker -- yet.

And also, I think he hasn't been viewed nationally as really the team leader. First, he was a freshman, and second, the team had some serious lapses in focus last year. Sammy is seen as a very competent QB, surrounded by great players, but kind of a role player -- not the team leader. And he's such a modest personality that he hasn't captured the imagination of the nation's sports world.

So I buy the assertion that Sammy is seen as a "system" QB, and the other assertion that he is out shone by some of the more colorful personality-QBs elsewhere in the Big XII.

That's doesn't mean that the holders of these assertions are correct, I am simply stating that the assertions exist and I think that they are at least mostly reasonable skeptisms regarding our star QB.

The upside is that Sammy will have plenty of opportunities to prove his critics wrong. If he puts his stamp on this team, if he completes the hard passes when he has to do it, if he brings the team back at the last second once or twice, he will have no trouble getting respect.

It will be hard for him to really get into the Heisman race this year, with so many other highly visible QBs out there, but first he's got another year or two with us, and second, methinks some of those other QBs are due for a flameout season in 08.

soonermix
7/31/2008, 10:15 AM
the list for post season awards can only be so long especially in the preseason.

let the seniors deal with the pressure of trying to live up to those expectations while sam goes out and dominates.

yermom
7/31/2008, 10:36 AM
last year he just didn't have the overwhelming numbers. Tebow's passing numbers weren't that far behind his

and then he also ran for 20+TDs. i think that was an SEC record, including RBs

maybe if we were undefeated going into the Fiesta Bowl he could have won, or gotten more coverage. he was also a Freshman.

i'm not sure why Chase Daniel or Harrell get more press though. other than Booger winning at Mizzou, that's more of a story

everyone's already heard "new OU quarterback wins Big 12"

:D

badger
7/31/2008, 10:49 AM
everyone's already heard "new OU quarterback wins Big 12"

:D

We have also heard "QB had nothing to do with winning Big 12" (Traber on Hybl)

We have also heard "Replacement QB OMG FEEL GOOD STORY wins Big 12" (Everyone on Thompson)

We have also heard "Heisman QB can't win Big 12" (ESPN d00shes on White in 2003)

We have also heard "QB wins Big 12, goes undefeated, but is it good enough for a national championship game spot?" (2004 season with White)

Finally, we have heard "QB wins Big 12, but fairweather fan cheatin' gooners couldn't beat us, nyah nyah" (Poke fans on Hybl in 2002)

So in other words, we have heard it all and there is no "system" for a quarterback to be in, because we've had such a crazy variety of starting quarterbacks recently. Let's see, we had Nate "Passes well, runs erratically" Hybl, Jason "Heisman w/o knees" White, Rhett "I'll do whatever I want, and that's run, but not out-of-bounds" Bomar, Paul "team first" Thompson and now, Sam "OMG FRESHMAN" Bradford, soon to be Sam "OMG SOPHOMORE" Bradford.

But... we have a reputation now for a Big 12 winning "system," so the qb's have to do more than win the Big 12 - they must... um... prevail. ;)

Hella Sideburns
7/31/2008, 12:56 PM
No one outside of Oklahoma knew about Sam Bradford at this point last year. Hell, 12 months ago there were people in Oklahoma that thought Joey ****ing Halzle should be our starting QB.

Bradford had a record season without any of the pedigree of the nation's other top QBs. The talking heads don't talk about him as much because it came out of nowhere, he didn't have that sexy 5-star rating next to his name on his rivals page and OU is always good.

Once Bradford does it again this season, no one will shut up about him, I promise.

Curly Bill
7/31/2008, 02:47 PM
Hell, 12 months ago there were people in Oklahoma that thought Joey ****ing Halzle should be our starting QB.

Yeah, insane psycho people, that apparently know nothing about football and especially the QB position. :D

JLEW1818
7/31/2008, 03:02 PM
No one outside of Oklahoma knew about Sam Bradford at this point last year. Hell, 12 months ago there were people in Oklahoma that thought Joey ****ing Halzle should be our starting QB.

Bradford had a record season without any of the pedigree of the nation's other top QBs. The talking heads don't talk about him as much because it came out of nowhere, he didn't have that sexy 5-star rating next to his name on his rivals page and OU is always good.

Once Bradford does it again this season, no one will shut up about him, I promise.

WE must protect him

soonerfan28
7/31/2008, 04:53 PM
I like Tebow, but how many of those runs were from more then 5 yards away. Just curious and yes I think he should have won the Heisman. I think people are crazy when they think he isn't All-American potential. He threw for over 3000 yards and almost 40 TD's and had 2 backs run for over 500 yards and 1 for over 1000 yards.

stoopified
7/31/2008, 06:10 PM
Don't worry, throughout history mankind has always badmouthed or criticized what they cannot explain. Kinda like UT's coach not winning but one championship (of the NC-kind) in his 20+ year career.In his 24 years he has only i1CC too(that same VY fueled season of 2005).

goingoneight
7/31/2008, 08:11 PM
Chase Daniel? :confused:

Will they ever learn?

IronHorseSooner
7/31/2008, 08:17 PM
Chase Daniel?

Will they ever learn?

In a word, NO!

FlatheadSooner
7/31/2008, 11:26 PM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:vOrcgDkfMIUJ::blog.kir.com/archives/images/alfred_e_neuman.jpg