PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa Fireman...do you have any inside info

Jerk
7/29/2008, 09:07 PM
about the 6 week old lab puppy which supposedly 'mauled' to death a 2 month old child? It doesn't make any sense to me. This is the age that the pup is being introduced to solid food. He has sharp teeth, but they're very small. I just don't see how it happened. I'm thinking that it wasn't an 'attack' and 'maul' but rather a 'nip' that just happened to pierce a major artery.

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0708/539313.html (http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0708/539313_video.html?ref=newsstory)

6 weeks? I call B.S.
(http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0708/539313_video.html?ref=newsstory)

Tulsa_Fireman
7/29/2008, 09:14 PM
Not a word outside of what they've been putting on the news.

I appreciate your curiosity, but even if I did, I wouldn't be privy to speak on it.

Jerk
7/29/2008, 09:16 PM
Not a word outside of what they've been putting on the news.

I appreciate your curiosity, but even if I did, I wouldn't be privy to speak on it.

I understand.

something is fishy..

There is no f'n way. They need to investigate and find out what really happened. 6 wk old lab:

http://www.periwinklefoundation.org/dog.JPG

Tulsa_Fireman
7/29/2008, 09:17 PM
Six weeks just MIGHT be wrong.

I saw a news clip where they were carrying the dog out and he was a solid 12 inches or better to the hip. Obviously a pup, but a big one nonetheless.

Jerk
7/29/2008, 09:22 PM
Six weeks just MIGHT be wrong.

I saw a news clip where they were carrying the dog out and he was a solid 12 inches or better to the hip. Obviously a pup, but a big one nonetheless.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the 'stupid media' factor. (sorry to VK if she reads this. You, of course, don't count)

Viking Kitten
7/29/2008, 10:37 PM
As a mommy as well as dog lover, that story just makes me sad, sad, sad. I agree that the puppy looked much older than six weeks. And I'm sorry, but anyone who leaves a dog of any age unsupervised with an infant or toddler is just asking for something like this to happen.

I covered a story about 10 years ago here in OKC where a Chihuahua ate a newborn baby's toes off. I just couldn't understand how anyone could let that happen. My newborns were almost never out of my sight, and never, ever out of hearing range. And as much as I love my spoiled dogs, they would have to learn to live outside really quick if I were to have another kiddo.

Boomer.....
7/30/2008, 07:31 AM
I caught something odd on last nights news. They were interviewing a police officer and he said that the baby was in one of those bouncer things. He went out of his way to specify that it was the type where the baby's legs dangle out the bottom. It struck me as odd to go out of his way to point that out. The news also said that they analyzed the contents of the labs stomach, proving that it was him and not the pug, before putting him down.

DoubleDown
7/30/2008, 07:55 AM
I talked to some of my media contacts in Tulsa and this incident is way more gruesome than once thought (if that's at all possible). My bet is if these are the actual facts of the case, there are going to be debates in newsrooms everywhere on if they should report everything that has been determined.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/30/2008, 08:25 AM
Are they charging the family for this. I mean this is crazy - sad news. To put a dog down for teething or whatever is sad not the fault for the dog.

Partial Qualifier
7/30/2008, 09:00 AM
I covered a story about 10 years ago here in OKC where a Chihuahua ate a newborn baby's toes off.

"We have a breaking update to this story: THE DOG... HAS PASSED... THE TOE!"

:D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/30/2008, 09:03 AM
They said they were asleep, but I don't know how the mom and grandma didn't hear the baby screaming. Even after one bite that kid was going to start crying.

Partial Qualifier
7/30/2008, 09:04 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-02-23-swings-dogs_x.htm

Coroner: Baby swings can trigger a dog attack

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Rocking your baby to sleep in a mechanical swing can trigger a deadly attack on the child by the family dog, a coroner warns.

At least two such deaths have been documented in Maryland over a four-year period, Dr. Albert Chu of the state's medical examiner's office said Wednesday at a meeting in New Orleans of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences.

The back-and-forth motion may activate the dog's instinct to chase prey, he said.
"Think about dogs chasing cars or tennis balls. They can't control their behavior — they just go," he said.

In 2003, a 2-week-old boy was dragged from his swing and killed by the family's pit bull in Baltimore after the baby's mother left him to answer the front door.
In Edgemere, Md., in 1999, a 3-month-old boy was mauled to death as his parents slept in another room.
An Associated Press check of online news archives found at least one more death — that of an 18-day-old girl in Tampa, in 2000 after her mother left the room to warm a bottle for her — and at least two non-fatal attacks around the country in the past few years.

In one of those cases, in Summerville, S.C., in 2003, the dog lunged for the baby and bit her in front of the child's mother.

In 2000, Sabrina Williamson of Peru, Ind., had gone to the store while her husband napped in another room, about six feet away from 9-week-old Alex. She walked back in and found her husband wrestling their pit bull off the baby. They had had the dog eight years, since Alex's brother was 4.

"I think it could be a key factor. Our dog had never been mean towards a child before," she said in a telephone interview.

The baby's face was bitten and bloody, and his collarbone was broken and protruding from his shoulder, police said.

Dr. Marianne DiPadua of University Foggia in Italy said she is not convinced that the rocking movement sets off the dog. "It's true movement can trigger an attack," she said. But she noted that dogs have also attacked babies in cribs or beds.

Dr. Jane Sanders, a radiologist and a board member of the humane society in Jackson, Miss., said she planned to pass on the information to the shelter's director. Most dog attacks are by pets that have never been aggressive, she said.

Catherine Mills, a Marshall, N.C., dog trainer with 25 years' experience, and John C. Wright, an animal behiavorist at Mercer University, said pets should be conditioned to ignore baby swings before a baby is put into one.

"Put the swing up, leave it on without a baby in it until the dog or cat totally ignores it," Mills said.

Wright suggested even more extensive "desensitization": Get the dog used to a lifelike crying doll — with a real diaper, if one is available — then the swing, then the two together.

Everyone interviewed agreed on one thing: Do not leave even the most trusted pet alone with a baby.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/30/2008, 09:05 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-02-23-swings-dogs_x.htm
All the more reason not to leave your baby alone.

C&CDean
7/30/2008, 09:22 AM
27 years ago next month I had a situation with a family pet.

My oldest son was born and we brought him home from the hospital. He was 4 days old when this happened.

Zeke, our 5 year old, 130 pound rott (who'd been the best dog ever) kept coming up to me when I was sitting on the couch holding the baby and taking his big ol' paw and kept swatting at the kid. He hit him once in the forehead, and left scratches. I knocked the crap outta him and put him outside.

Anyhow, that night I had put the kid in his crib, and was in the kitchen. All of a sudden I hear this big crash in the bedroom. I go flying in there, and here's the kid laying in the corner of the room with Zeke standing over him with his hair all stood up, teeth bared, and growling. He had stood on his back legs and knocked the crib over, the kid rolled out across the floor, and Zeke was fixin' to crunch his head.

I kicked that ****ing dog harder than I've ever kicked anything in my life. I got the kid up, made sure he was OK (little **** wasn't even crying), got him back in the crib, and said "let's go for a ride Zeke."

Long story short, Zeke didn't come home from that ride in the desert.

This is one reason why I don't get all misty like a lot of y'all do when a dog bites the dust. I love my dogs, and I hate putting dogs down worse than pretty much anything, but it was a really sobering reality check for me. One kid is worth more than 100,000,000 dogs.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/30/2008, 09:30 AM
Totally agree Dean. But in this instance, I think it was totally stupid for them to take a nap while a two-month old baby was left in a swing.

C&CDean
7/30/2008, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I know. How long would it take for a puppy to kill a kid? How much screaming, growling, etc. would be taking place during this time? That poor kid had to suffer for an agonizingly long time. Who the hell sleeps through that?

Mixer!
7/30/2008, 10:05 AM
Smells mighty fishy to me. Something's not right with what we've read/seen/heard so far.

Boomer.....
7/30/2008, 10:10 AM
The mother is only 17, so I'm sure she isn't the most experienced or responsible parent. The grandmother should have known better though.

picasso
7/30/2008, 10:11 AM
Smells mighty fishy to me. Something's not right with what we've read/seen/heard so far.

yep, my wife threw up the red flag after we saw the first report.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/30/2008, 11:15 AM
It doesn't take a lot of common sense to know that when a baby screams from the pain of getting eaten by a dog it might be time to go see what's happening. I don't care if you're 17 or not, you just know that.

pergdaddy
7/30/2008, 11:54 AM
Dean,
Don't blame you one bit for the dog going to the desert and thank god nothing serious happened.

My two boys are extremely afraid of dogs. They were frightened to the point of almost crying at our family reunion a couple of days ago by a pug puppy. Nothing in their life ever has happened that would make them be that frightened. Needless to say, I won't be getting a dog anytime soon. Our cat, no matter what they do to it, just purrs and does nothing. Such a good cat. Plus I live in teh country. Dogs aren't real good mouse catchers from my experiences. Now racoons, I've seen a german shepherd stick it's head under a fence, then under a bucket over top of a baby racoon and snatch it up and tear around the yard shaking it back and forth.

I hope we hear more about this and learn what happened. Might be a wake up call for other people to take these kinds of happenings seriously.

I haven't seen anything like that here where I live in Ohio in a while.

Mjcpr
7/30/2008, 12:41 PM
What if the baby was deceased before the dog was involved? Just a thought.

StoopTroup
7/30/2008, 12:49 PM
What if when the dog knocked the baby out of the swing, the baby hit it's head and was knocked out or killed instantly?

Lots of things to think through here...

I'm sure the investigation will uncover any wrong doing.

This is a pretty awful story.

Animal Mother
7/30/2008, 12:52 PM
Coroner: Baby swings can trigger a dog attack

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Rocking your baby to sleep in a mechanical swing can trigger a deadly attack on the child by the family dog, a coroner warns.

At least two such deaths have been documented in Maryland over a four-year period, Dr. Albert Chu of the state's medical examiner's office said Wednesday at a meeting in New Orleans of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences.

Is this story for real with a doctor named Chu?

Partial Qualifier
7/30/2008, 01:12 PM
Dean, did you ever tell that story to your son?

C&CDean
7/30/2008, 02:35 PM
Dean, did you ever tell that story to your son?

Yeah, when he got old enough to ask "who is that dog in the pictures?"

We've had a ****pot of other dogs over the years of raising the kids, and none of them have ever been afraid or freaked out by them (kids or dogs). The son in this situation has owned several big dogs (pits, shepherds, rotts) and of course has no memory of the deal.

My youngest son (16) keeps wanting to pick up every damn dumped dog he sees. He's always calling the house going "dad, there's another puppy down here by the creek, can I bring him home?" He called last night from about a mile down the road asking to bring home a little lab somebody dumped.

olevetonahill
7/30/2008, 02:39 PM
I love animals But I to Have No prob putting down a dog that needs it.
And that one needed it Dean

Okla-homey
7/30/2008, 05:28 PM
The mother is only 17, so I'm sure she isn't the most experienced or responsible parent. The grandmother should have known better though.

yeah, but grandmaw is prolly only 33 or so.

but srsly, this sort of thing is bound to happen when babies have babies.

C&CDean
7/31/2008, 08:21 AM
Three kittens and a little pug looking dog down on the road this morning. God help those worthless, selfish, cowardly **********s if I ever catch them dumping.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/31/2008, 08:27 AM
...He called last night from about a mile down the road asking to bring home a little lab somebody dumped.

Sad times, the local Petco has a sign on the pet adoption room door that says it is illegal to leave pets in the room, it is considered abandonment and they will prosecute.

jkjsooner
7/31/2008, 09:42 AM
It doesn't take a lot of common sense to know that when a baby screams from the pain of getting eaten by a dog it might be time to go see what's happening. I don't care if you're 17 or not, you just know that.

I don't know the facts about this incident but dogs generally go for the neck. It could have happened so fast that the child didn't scream or anything.

the_ouskull
7/31/2008, 11:02 AM

Why should the grandmother have known better? She was probably only in her early 30's.

the_ouskull

Boomer.....
7/31/2008, 11:24 AM
Why should the grandmother have known better? She was probably only in her early 30's.

the_ouskull

At least she has some experience in parenting. The mother is still only a kid.

TMcGee86
7/31/2008, 11:29 AM
Not to get in a full blown "PITTS ARE TEH NICE" debate, but it didn't look like a full blood lab.

My guess it was a lab pit mix. You can find about a brazillion of those at the pound.

I still dont like this story. How would a six week old puppy get up on a child swing?

There's more to this story...

TexasSooner01
7/31/2008, 02:21 PM
Not to get in a full blown "PITTS ARE TEH NICE" debate, but it didn't look like a full blood lab.

My guess it was a lab pit mix. You can find about a brazillion of those at the pound.

I still dont like this story. How would a six week old puppy get up on a child swing?

There's more to this story...

It dont matter what kind of a dog it was or how old the dog was. The problem is that these irresponsible people left an infant alone with a dog. I dont care who you are or what kind of dog you have...you NEVER EVER leave a dog alone with a small child or infant.

I have two fairly large dogs one is a heeler mix and the other is a pit boxer mix...both dogs were conditioned before the birth of my son to get accustomed to the new smell of the baby, the baby furniture, the baby sounds, etc before we brought the baby home.

When we brought the baby home, both dogs smelled him and walked away and we didnt have any problems. My son is now 3 and I still dont allow either dog alone with him, not even for a minute. If i leave the room where he is, i make sure the dogs are behind me or outside.

It is not hard to be a responsible parent and/or dog owner. It just takes a little effort and education.

picasso
8/1/2008, 09:25 AM
ok, turns out the mom and another lady were sleeping and left the baby in a swing with dirty diapers. the puppy hadn't been fed in a long, long time and it appears he went after the dirty diapers and more or less ate the kid's privates. thus causing him to bleed to death.

said mom and the other person did not wake up until the next morning. even if that kid hadn't been killed, it was left in that swing and not looked after.

:confused:

Hamhock
8/1/2008, 09:31 AM
clearly, dogs should be outlawed.

dogs are bread to eat. they have sharp teeth and are hungry every day.

how many of the senseless deaths will we allow before we require registration and muzzles on all dogs, if not an all out ban?

Viking Kitten
8/1/2008, 09:35 AM
That is... f***ed up.

Turd_Ferguson
8/1/2008, 09:36 AM
If dogs are outlawed, only outlaw's will have dogs.

Curly Bill
8/1/2008, 09:40 AM
You can have my dog when you pry him from my cold dead hands.

Partial Qualifier
8/1/2008, 09:50 AM
ok, turns out the mom and another lady were sleeping and left the baby in a swing with dirty diapers. the puppy hadn't been fed in a long, long time and it appears he went after the dirty diapers and more or less ate the kid's privates. thus causing him to bleed to death.

said mom and the other person did not wake up until the next morning. even if that kid hadn't been killed, it was left in that swing and not looked after.

:confused:

Didn't they already euthanize the dog?? ****, they should've euthanized the parents instead.

Curly Bill
8/1/2008, 09:51 AM
Didn't they already euthanize the dog?? ****, they should've euthanized the parents instead.

So true.

Hamhock
8/1/2008, 09:54 AM
If dogs are outlawed, only outlaw's will have dogs.

there should be no logic used in the dog ban debate.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/1/2008, 11:44 AM
I wonder why the grandpa and baby daddy left the kid in the swing when they left for work. It looks like they would have taken the baby into the room with his mamma or put him in a crib.

Sad, sad deal. It's too bad a baby had to pay the price for dumbassery.