PDA

View Full Version : A Few Words About Lube...The Great WD-40 Controversy

Rogue
7/29/2008, 06:02 PM
Just for the dickwheels. Do you use WD-40 on your guns?

I'm a Hoppes #9 and Rem Oil guy myself.

CLP seems pretty universal around most parts.

I've been reading some rather polarized opinions about the use of WD-40 penetrating oil to clean or lube guns with. It makes sense, the stuff is always available, seems to work well on other stuff, and my grandpa (rest his soul) even sprayed it on his arthritic knees and claimed better results than his high-falootin' doctor pills.

So, some of the claims against WD-40 are:
1 - it evaporates making it a lousy lube
2 - it gets gummy and makes a mess itself resulting in performance issues
3 - may (or may not) be hard on wood finishes
4 - penetrates primers and turns otherwise good rounds into fizzling duds

Their official website, http://www.wd40.com/faqs/ , says:

What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 on?
WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic.
What about using WD-40 on my sports equipment?

...Use WD-40 to clean and protect your gun. It will prevent corrosion and it won't damage bluing.

They wouldn't be trying to **** me, would they?
Even a page dedicated to WD-40 and guns:
http://www.wd40.com/news/in-the-news...or-gun-owners/

WD-40 has been used in the gun industry for many years. It is not only safe to use on your gun, but comes highly recommended by many experts in the industry due to its cleaning, rust preventing, moisture displacing, penetrating and lubricating properties.

What say ye, Southovalians?

OUDoc
7/29/2008, 06:33 PM
On his knees? Seriously? :)

Jerk
7/29/2008, 06:34 PM
I only use Break-Free CLP.

I don't mean to suggest that it's the only option out there, or even the best.

It is just that I know it works.

Okla-homey
7/29/2008, 06:41 PM
WD40 collects dirt. CLP don't. Therefore, CLP > WD40. End of discussion.

StoopTroup
7/29/2008, 06:56 PM
If you must, WD it, but I'd be pretty liberal with it. Say your out hunting and you forgot your good stuff and it rained...I'd use it. If I had the Breakfree or CLP or Coppes...I'd use it as soon as I got back from the hunt.

olevetonahill
7/29/2008, 08:43 PM
AS has been said It aint Bad But It aint the Best

Harry Beanbag
7/29/2008, 09:58 PM
I don't know about guns, but as far as general lubricants go, WD is pretty far down the list in this day and age. Breakfree, Triflow, and Astroglide are excellent lubricants.

Curly Bill
7/29/2008, 11:11 PM
For lubricating guns I use Rem Oil.

Having said that though, when I was a young lad Dad and I used WD-40 on all his guns, and mine too with no ill effect.

StoopTroup
7/29/2008, 11:42 PM
...and Astroglide are excellent lubricants.

I see how you...Slipped...:D...that in. :pop:

OU4LIFE
7/30/2008, 05:19 AM
well, i've seen firsthand that WD-40 can weaken springs under tension. So i'd think that would negate it from use in cleaning my weapons.

hard to beat hoppes imo

Jacie
7/30/2008, 06:16 AM
[QUOTE=Rogue;2349315]my grandpa (rest his soul) even sprayed it on his arthritic knees and claimed better results than his high-falootin' doctor pills.

I have heard of this too.

Okla-homey
7/30/2008, 06:45 AM
On his knees? Seriously? :)

makes as much sense as chiropractorin';)

but I heard Windex was the stuff for sore joints.

Harry Beanbag
7/30/2008, 07:38 AM
I see how you...Slipped...:D...that in. :pop:

WD-40 is like Vaseline in the personal lubricant world. It's okay and grandpa probably used it on everything, but there is so much better stuff out there today. :D

yermom
7/30/2008, 08:29 AM
it's a Water Displacer. it wasn't supposed to be a lubricant. it's really thin, and doesn't last long

i've been using Militec or Rem Oil lately

C&CDean
7/30/2008, 09:44 AM
I pretty much only use WD when removing water from my air tools. Spray a little into your impact wrench then run some air through it, and it removes the moisture. I've never used it on guns, and probably never will.

I use Hoppes, and only a little. After I clean the guns, I put a tiny amount of Hoppes on the moving parts and in the barrell. Then I wipe it all up as much as I can. Especially in the barrell. I've read stories about too much oil in the barrell creating back-pressure when you fire it.

Kels
7/30/2008, 11:14 AM
Rem-Oil for me.

The only time I had Break Free on my guns was when a friend of mine who is a Marine and Iraq combat vet used it on my Glock 19 and AK74 before we started shooting.

They both jammed in about five minutes. That was the first time either gun had ever jammed as long as I owned them, and the last time because I'm not letting him use that stuff on them ever again!

Coincidence?