PDA

View Full Version : Good Article on TRRW

colleyvillesooner
7/29/2008, 08:49 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/072908dnspotaylor.4384dbc.html

OXNARD, Calif. – For years, anger filled Roy Williams' body every time he stepped on the football field.

Maybe it stemmed from the middle school kids who teased him about a learning disability. Even he isn't exactly sure where it originated, but it helped make him a terrific football player.

Jesus Christ took the anger away when Williams became a Christian.

"I was trying to please people of the world and trying to be seen on SportsCenter. I was trying to get glory for all of the wrong reasons," Williams said. "I was trying to get glory for other reasons instead of giving the glory to God. It's all part of the process of what I've been going through."

Most of you don't really care about that.

You just want the Roy Williams who was one of the game's best safeties back on the football field.

Don't be shocked if you get him.

Williams had 115 tackles last year but did not record a sack or tackle for loss. He struggled in coverage, but he wasn't a bad player.

Average? Perhaps. Tentative? No doubt.

None of that really matters now. It's all about this season.

Williams will earn $3.72 million this season to be a Pro Bowl-caliber player. If he is, Jerry Jones will continue making him one of the game's highest-paid safeties. If he isn't, none of us should be surprised if he's wearing another uniform in 2009.

You know it. I know it.

After Monday morning's practice, Williams said he's ready to be a force again. He sounded confident when he spoke. He smiled often and talked about having a good time at practice. He wasn't defensive.

Football, for him, is fun again. It hasn't been the past few seasons.

No one wants to hear year after year how he can't cover. No one wants to hear how committing his life to God over the last few years has made him a lesser player.

Every born-again Christian handles the conversion differently. It takes some longer to find balance than others. Then there's the scrutiny from folks who suddenly expect you to lead a perfect life.

"It's a transition. It's a constant battle to live right," Williams said. "You kind of want to do the things you did in the past, but at the end of the day if it's not giving glory to God, it's not worth it.

"I can't worry about what everyone else is saying. I'm not going to respond to foolish things. I'm not going to question who I am and my relationship with Christ for anybody."

The Cowboys drafted Williams to be a playmaker, and that's what he did in his first three seasons with former assistant Mike Zimmer as the defensive coordinator. Zimmer often played Williams 6 yards off the line of scrimmage and let him create havoc.

The result: seven forced fumbles, 18 tackles for loss and too many knockouts to count.

Bill Parcells wanted Williams to be more versatile, so he began playing him 12 yards off the line more frequently. No safety can consistently make plays in the backfield at that depth.

Last year, Wade Phillips moved Williams 10 yards off the line of scrimmage, which is close enough to allow him to read the guards and still make plays behind the line of scrimmage, but his alignment was inconsistent.

It matters whether Williams lines up 10.5 yards off the ball or 11 yards or 12 yards, especially since he has average speed.

"I probably missed 15 tackles last year because I wasn't lined up right," Williams said. "I'm really focusing on it this year. It's hard when the ball isn't on the hash mark, but that's what I've got to do."

He must also stop thinking about the horse-collar tackle. The NFL suspended him for a game last December for frequently violating the rule prohibiting horse-collar tackles.

"Last year, I really worried about it. This year, I'm not," Williams said. "If it happens, it happens. I can't let that dictate my play on the field.

"I just have a new attitude on everything – life and this season. It's not about showing anybody anything. I'm not trying to prove myself to anybody."

SoonerProphet
7/29/2008, 08:53 AM
I'm glad Campo will coach d-backs for the Boys. It should help Roy get a bit closer to the line.

StoopTroup
7/29/2008, 09:10 AM
Of course...if Jerry Jones would deposit 3.72 Million in my bank account...I'd go get dipped in the river.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/29/2008, 09:30 AM
Nice read. I'm glad to finally read something thats actually good about TRRW.

sooner94
7/29/2008, 10:56 AM
I'm glad Campo will coach d-backs for the Boys. It should help Roy get a bit closer to the line.

Yeah, I think the coaches have FINALLY gotten it. I think the reason they got Adam Jones and Mike Jenkins is so TRRW doesn't have to help out in pass coverage all the time. Yeah, I know TRRW is not great at covering the pass, but he has spent too much time covering for a bad corner and/or free safety.

I think they will take TRRW off the field in obvious passing downs, but he can be a terror the rest of the time.

SoonerProphet
7/29/2008, 11:06 AM
Well, Ken Hamlin made the pro-bowl last year, so it wasn't all on the free safety. Roy has a little ownership in the performance drop as well.

goingoneight
7/29/2008, 09:58 PM
I want to know why it is that everytime a pass is completed, it's Roy's fault. I know the guy isn't tearing heads off, but my God, no one else on Dallas's defense is, either. The corners got roasted by just about every big name receiver they played and the D-Line is too hot-and-cold.

IMO, the entire D shares the blame.

I'd also like to point out that this terrible strong safety of which people speak got shoved on what would have been a game-changing interception on a fade route against the Giants. He had the receiver beat and the ball looked like Eli threw it to Roy. No flag on that play was the most irritating thing about that loss to me, really. That and receivers dropping the ball when it hits them in perfect stride.

soonersn20xx
7/29/2008, 10:22 PM
I want to know why it is that everytime a pass is completed, it's Roy's fault.

Ummmmm............because last year most of the completed passes were to the guy he was covering.

The human interest story aside and as well as the past accomplishments, football is and has always been about "what have you done lately". Why has our society become so intolerant of honest criticism. For example, if you say one critical word about John McCain you somehow get morphed into someone who disrespect veterans. If the criticism is honest and accurate, then those who have the "audacity" to speak it shouldn't be pressured into silence or made into the villian.

I respect Roy Williams, I appreciate and admire what he has done for OU and the Dallas Cowboys. But if he can't get the job done, maybe it's time to move on to something else in life.

Curly Bill
7/29/2008, 11:05 PM
he has spent too much time covering for a bad corner and/or free safety.

When Roy is on the field he is the worst cover guy out there, but he's covering for other people? This makes no sense. Roy has his hands full covering what he's supposed to cover. In fact one could say he more then has his hands full.

Collier11
7/29/2008, 11:20 PM
Ummmmm............because last year most of the completed passes were to the guy he was covering.

wrong...stop listening to the press and watch the games. yea he busted several times but he also got stuck trying to cover another guys bust and it made him look like the one who got beat many times

Collier11
7/29/2008, 11:21 PM
When Roy is on the field he is the worst cover guy out there, but he's covering for other people? This makes no sense. Roy has his hands full covering what he's supposed to cover. In fact one could say he more then has his hands full.

see above, this is not always true. what he is saying makes some sense although he said it wierd

colleyvillesooner
7/29/2008, 11:27 PM
Well, Ken Hamlin made the pro-bowl last year, so it wasn't all on the free safety. Roy has a little ownership in the performance drop as well.

Not saying your doing this, but I love it when people discredit Roy's Pro Bowls saying he gets them on name alone, but then when defenders say he hasn't been the same since Darren Woodson left, they say "Well, Ken Hamlin is a pro bowler, what more do you want?"

I'm talking to you Dale Hansen and Randy Galloway.

Curly Bill
7/29/2008, 11:27 PM
see above, this is not always true. what he is saying makes some sense although he said it wierd

I do watch the games and I've coached football (and I don't mean pee-wee) for a number of years. I am aware that often times what the casual viewer/fan may see is what appears is the safety beat on a pass when in actuality it was some other players responsibility, the safety tried to make up for their mistake and just ends up getting into the play late, and it looks like it must have been their fault, when in actuality it wasn't.

I know this sometimes happens with Roy just like it does every other safety that has played the game. However, lets not kid ourselves into thinking Roy has even average coverage skills these days. I've seen too many plays where Roy was beat, often times soundly beat, and it was his man, no ifs and or buts about it.

Curly Bill
7/29/2008, 11:30 PM
I will add here that I'm a Roy fan, I remember how awesome he was at OU, one of the best ever in fact, and I remember his early years in the league. Hopefully the Cowboys get back to using Roy in a way where he can be the Roy we remember, which is putting him near the LOS so he can bust heads. Hopefully Roy is committed as well to returning to the player he was.

colleyvillesooner
7/29/2008, 11:32 PM
I agree, but some people seemed to think he was this all world, ball hawking cover safety in college. Not really the case from what I remember.

JLEW1818
7/29/2008, 11:36 PM
Guys the Roots our from Indianola, Oklahoma. Lots of sooner fans in the family, so when I turned 5 I went with them. However, I grew up in Texas so I got to choose between Houston and Dallas. I'm sorry I just hate the cowboys just as much as SuC. They sign horrible people to their team, and I hope to God that Terrel Owens destroys the entire franchise. However If the Sooners are winning, I could care less about NFL. boomer. Don't hate on me, The Sooners come first.
That's after a couple whiskey drinks, it's Tuesday night what else is there to do?

Curly Bill
7/29/2008, 11:37 PM
I agree, but some people seemed to think he was this all world, ball hawking cover safety in college. Not really the case from what I remember.

Exactly, and when the Cowboys put him back there deep in the secondary is when his lack of coverge skills was exposed. He has always been a close to the LOS, head busting type safety, as opposed to the put him back there deep and break on the ball in the air type. Roy is what he is and the Cowboys have misused him the past few years.

Collier11
7/30/2008, 12:03 AM
I do watch the games and I've coached football (and I don't mean pee-wee) for a number of years. I am aware that often times what the casual viewer/fan may see is what appears is the safety beat on a pass when in actuality it was some other players responsibility, the safety tried to make up for their mistake and just ends up getting into the play late, and it looks like it must have been their fault, when in actuality it wasn't.

I know this sometimes happens with Roy just like it does every other safety that has played the game. However, lets not kid ourselves into thinking Roy has even average coverage skills these days. I've seen too many plays where Roy was beat, often times soundly beat, and it was his man, no ifs and or buts about it.

I agree completely, he is a average cover guy at best but I was just saying that the guy had a point, he just said it wrong. But I think that the people who discredit his success are wrong cus he is a former all-pro and still good enough to be one of the top 2-3 safeties in the NFC

JLEW1818
7/30/2008, 12:07 AM
I agree completely, he is a average cover guy at best but I was just saying that the guy had a point, he just said it wrong. But I think that the people who discredit his success are wrong cus he is a former all-pro and still good enough to be one of the top 2-3 safeties in the NFC

Shoot I wish the Texans had him right now!

Curly Bill
7/30/2008, 12:53 AM

I'll give him his cred for what he did at OU, early in his Cowboy career when he was one of the top 2-3 safeties, but now? I gotta disagree with ya on that. I don't know, maybe he can get back to that this year, but he hasn't been that lately, and frankly I don't know if he still has that in him or not. Hope he does, and proves me wrong.

JLEW1818
7/30/2008, 12:56 AM
He is coming up on 28 years old I believe? He's in his prime, I hope he polishes up some.... right ?

Curly Bill
7/30/2008, 01:02 AM
He is coming up on 28 years old I believe? He's in his prime, I hope he polishes up some.... right ?

Seemingly he has lost some of the focus he had at OU and early in his pro career. This might be attributed to his finding God, or to his feeling misused and underappreciated by the Cowboys. If he gets that back, and if he's used properly meaning near the LOS then he can be a good player, if he has to play a lot of deep or middle coverage then he's not near so good. The problem for Roy is that NFL offenses are not going to constantly allow him to play up close to the LOS, and he's going to be put in a lot of coverage situations. He simply has to do better at that.

JLEW1818
7/30/2008, 01:05 AM
Ya.

Every time I read the name Roy Williams...... Super Roy... no matter what.

StoopTroup
7/30/2008, 01:07 AM
I think it was all the attention he got from the horse collar stuff.

You don't want to hurt your team by getting a needless penalty and he was getting watched hard every game IMO.

I think with the mix of finding God, not wanting to hurt anyone...it might be he backed off to much. The NFL is a violent place. I hope he figures it out.

I'm betting..."The Brother's Gonna Work It Out"....

JLEW1818
7/30/2008, 01:09 AM
Ya good luck to him, and any other NFL Sooner.

Collier11
7/30/2008, 08:29 AM
I'll give him his cred for what he did at OU, early in his Cowboy career when he was one of the top 2-3 safeties, but now? I gotta disagree with ya on that. I don't know, maybe he can get back to that this year, but he hasn't been that lately, and frankly I don't know if he still has that in him or not. Hope he does, and proves me wrong.

name 3 safeties in the NFC better? just saying, he isnt the best but still pretty good

Curly Bill
7/30/2008, 08:33 AM
Don't know, don't care, who the safeties in the NFC are. I just know there's no way the way Roy's played the past few years that he's one of the best 2 or 3 of them. If he is then it's quite frankly a pretty poor group.

Collier11
7/30/2008, 09:56 AM
Well im telling you that he is, not trying to make it an issue and im not being biased...maybe it is a diluted group but I would call him one of the better 2-3

Curly Bill
7/30/2008, 09:59 AM
Well im telling you that he is, not trying to make it an issue and im not being biased...maybe it is a diluted group but I would call him one of the better 2-3

If he plays this year like he has the past few I bet ya the Cowboys won't agree with that assessment come end of season.

Collier11
7/30/2008, 10:02 AM
If he plays like he did last yr the Cowboys will probably cut or trade him...now this is me being biased but I expect him to have a huge yr this yr...with Hamlin, Jones, Newman, Henry, etc... they can afford to let him play closer to the line like he is best at

Curly Bill
7/30/2008, 10:06 AM
If he plays like he did last yr the Cowboys will probably cut or trade him...now this is me being biased but I expect him to have a huge yr this yr...with Hamlin, Jones, Newman, Henry, etc... they can afford to let him play closer to the line like he is best at

I expect him to be better as well, how much I don't know. I hope he's tremendous, but I imagine he'll be somewhere between where he was coming into the league, and where's he's been the past couple of seasons.

JLEW1818
7/30/2008, 11:27 AM
Man the Cowboys are freaking loaded

bluedogok
7/30/2008, 12:27 PM
I think it was all the attention he got from the horse collar stuff.

You don't want to hurt your team by getting a needless penalty and he was getting watched hard every game IMO.

I think with the mix of finding God, not wanting to hurt anyone...it might be he backed off to much. The NFL is a violent place. I hope he figures it out.

I'm betting..."The Brother's Gonna Work It Out"....
I was flipping through channels and came across a show showing old clips of the Top 10 Draft Steals in the NFL on the NFL Network, most of these clips that I saw were from the 70's. Deacon Jones was the player they focused on, in the clips they showed, he sacked the QB three times, all of them running away from him and all three tackles were using the "Horse Collar" tackle that is now banned. That technique was around long before Roy Williams was even conceived but yet somehow the media and the league act like he invented it.

They showed a funny clip on the news last night of the earthquake during Roy's interview with Newey Scruggs. He just calmly said to Newey and his teammates nearby "Did you feel that earthquake?" like it was old hat to a SoCal kid.

sooner94
7/30/2008, 04:26 PM

He has taken the blame on a lot plays when he is helping another DB that has been beaten. Remember Keith Davis and Patrick Watkins? And sometimes Henry looks like he doesn't know where he is.

Yes, one on one coverage is not something Roy is good at. I was referring to busted coverage by other DB's that TRRW gets blamed.

Is that clear enough for you? I can't make it any more clear than that.

Trivia question. Is the SS supposed to be the best cover guy in the secondary?

olevetonahill
7/30/2008, 05:41 PM
He has taken the blame on a lot plays when he is helping another DB that has been beaten. Remember Keith Davis and Patrick Watkins? And sometimes Henry looks like he doesn't know where he is.

Yes, one on one coverage is not something Roy is good at. I was referring to busted coverage by other DB's that TRRW gets blamed.

Is that clear enough for you? I can't make it any more clear than that.

Dont Be sassin
you wont like it :cool:

47straight
7/30/2008, 07:04 PM
You don't like how he played the last couple years? I'll admit last year was no bueno. Look at his discussion of the 3 formation changes in the last 3 years - where he lines up and how that changes what he has to do.

So now it's time to address his 2007 season, which, I think you have to agree, is within "the last few seasons."

Led the team in interceptions. As a strong safety. He should be 4th in that category.

Tied for the lead in pass deflections. As a strong safety. He should be 4th in that category.

olevetonahill
7/30/2008, 07:06 PM
You don't like how he played the last couple years? I'll admit last year was no bueno. Look at his discussion of the 3 formation changes in the last 3 years - where he lines up and how that changes what he has to do.

So now it's time to address his 2007 season, which, I think you have to agree, is within "the last few seasons."

Led the team in interceptions. As a strong safety. He should be 4th in that category.

Tied for the lead in pass deflections. As a strong safety. He should be 4th in that category.

I Blame BV

Curly Bill
7/30/2008, 07:42 PM

Nah, but it helps if he's not terrible at it.

Is that clear enough for you?

olevetonahill
7/30/2008, 07:50 PM
Nah, but it helps if he's not terrible at it.

Is that clear enough for you?

Some peoples Kids :eek:

Curly Bill
7/30/2008, 07:50 PM
Listened to Michael Irvin on the radio today, and say what you will about the guy he knows a little bit about football...Well, he was talking about the Cowboys and their chances of winning the NFC and he got around to the Giants, and one of the things he pointed out with the Giants is how they've lost one of their main weapons against the Cowboys with the trade of Shockey, as Shockey allowed the Giants to attack what was/is the Cowboys biggest defensive weakness. That would of course be the coverage skills of Roy Williams.

It might be argued that one-on-one no safety should be able to cover one of the NFL's best TE's, but again, because this isn't the first time mind you Roy's coverge skills have been deemed one of, if not the Cowboys weakest links, someone has pointed this out. Of course if you watch and understand the game you already know this.

Curly Bill
7/30/2008, 07:53 PM
Dont Be sassin
you wont like it :cool:

:D