PDA

View Full Version : Baby girl left in hot van

Hot Rod
7/29/2008, 08:02 AM
TULSA, Okla. - A 3-month-old girl is in state custody after being left in a hot van in Tulsa during the weekend.

Tulsa police say a customer at a Target in south Tulsa called officers after finding the girl alone in the van about 8:30 Sunday night.

The outside temperature at the time was 95 degrees and police say the baby had been in the van about 15 minutes and was soaked with perspiration. The infant was treated for dehydration at a local hospital and released to the Department of Human Services.

The baby's mother told officers she was running several errands and forgot her baby was with her.

Who are these irresponsible people?

Partial Qualifier
7/29/2008, 08:06 AM
Just dumb trash. :mad:

Sounds like they got to the baby just in time, thank goodness.

Boomer.....
7/29/2008, 08:13 AM
Sadly, this happens way too often.

Tulsa_Fireman
7/29/2008, 08:31 AM
How in the hell do you get that wrapped up in what you're doing? So wrapped up you forget you've got your BABY in the car!?

Hell, I won't even let my daughter get IN the truck on days like this until it's had a chance to run a bit and cool off.

StoopTroup
7/29/2008, 09:18 AM
Now that she has DHS in her life...lets hope she decides that having them in her life really sucks and from now on begin to think clearly.

For the Childs sake...I hope they get her some help if they decide to return the child to her.

Hamhock
7/29/2008, 09:40 AM
i used to say the same thing about these people, but i can see how it happens.

badger
7/29/2008, 10:03 AM
Just dumb trash. :mad:

Sounds like they got to the baby just in time, thank goodness.

People make mistakes. I've never done this myself, but I know I've forgotten things before. I would hope that I would never forget a child, but something tells me this lady will never make this mistake again after having DHS on her case and being accused of child abuse.

pergdaddy
7/29/2008, 10:06 AM
Huh? I guess I'm of a different opinion. I can't see how this happens. And I'm not a perfect parent by any stretch of the imagination. I have two boys, 6 & 4. The first thing I do when I get in the car to leave the house or the store is turn around and look at them both and make sure they have their seatbelts on. The first thing I do when I get to the store is help them both out. The first thing I do when I get home from the store (and they're usually asleep) is unload the car and get them in the house.

I know people are a lot busier these days and things pass them by, but your kids come first no matter what. If you're head isn't clear, then clear it.

I thought the worst when I read the thread title.

Think about it. Your strapped in something that you don't have the ability to get out of in something that's running well over 100 degrees. With no water. No food. No air. That, IMO, is called torture. Intentional or unintentional, doesn't matter.

I hate seeing kids get hurt. too many times, this turns out in the worst possible way. Thank god that kid was found in time.

I've seen it before. When I was younger, I worked at Kroger. I was done with work, walked out past a pickup truck of a local construction company (must have been the owners wife's truck) and I swear I saw a baby in the passenger seat. I wasn't sure it was. It wasn't extreme weather. I didn't do anything for fear of being wrong and then being sued or something stupid if I was wrong. I look back on that and I wish I would have made sure and then called the cops or store security or something. Sometimes you have to make the decision that no one wants to make (thanks TDK).

Hot Rod
7/29/2008, 10:07 AM
i used to say the same thing about these people, but i can see how it happens.

I can see her walking away from her car, then realizing that she forgot her baby, BUT 15 minutes later? As a parent, you just have to be extra cautious, especially when caring for a newborn, and especially when caring for a newborn when it's 95 degrees at 8:30pm.

GrapevineSooner
7/29/2008, 10:11 AM
It's one thing to leave your cell phone, your wallet, your keys, etc.

Different ballgame altogether when you somehow leave your child in your car. I made it a habit, no how small the errand was and no matter the time of year, to always take my daughter in with me when we went somewhere.

Therefore, I cannot comprehend as a parent how anybody could either forget that their child is in the car, especially during the summertime, or willingly leaving them in the car when running errands. I particularly can't comprehend when a low rent daycare does the same thing (and that's happened a few times here over the past few years).

soonervegas
7/29/2008, 10:28 AM
I am sure we would all be amazed at the % of kids that are 4th or 5th priority in someone's life. We are a selfish, selfish generation. Look at that 2 yr old in the National headlines right now. She is missing for a month and all her mom is worried about is somehow talking on the phone with her boyfriend from the jail cell. Then there was the 2 month old that got mauled by some puppy in Tulsa yesterday. Like someone else said, this stuff happens a lot....

pergdaddy
7/29/2008, 10:35 AM
hey vegas, maybe we need the guy in your avatar as our president. He goes after anybody to clean stuff up.

Viking Kitten
7/29/2008, 11:10 AM
I've never even come close to leaving either of my children in the car, hot or otherwise, but when I hear of this happening, my instinct is always to say "There but for the grace of God go I." You've just had a baby, your brains are addled, you are sleep deprived, etc. etc. I could see how it might happen.

Publicizing these incidents is a great idea, BTW, if it helps to make people more neurotic about double checking the backseat every time you get out of the car. Both my children have summer birthdays, and there were similar deaths right around the times of their births. Because of that, I was positively OCD about it out of fear it could happen to me.

Glad this little girl is okay.

StoopTroup
7/29/2008, 11:15 AM
But being neurotic really only applies for the first five years of the childs life...

After that your mostly clinical, right?

SCOUT
7/29/2008, 11:36 AM
This happened in Murphy Texas about a month ago. The woman left her baby in the car while she went it to tan! I can somewhat see how someone could get caught up with something else and forget, althoughit is a stretch for me to understand exactly how it could happen.

When people are just too damn lazy to take their kids with them, it drives me nuts. The woman I was referencing said it was OK because she left the car running.

the_ouskull
7/29/2008, 12:10 PM
These are the same people that say "your" when they mean "you're." They are the same people that sat in the back of all of their classes, thinking they were too cool to be told what to do/educated 'cause they already knew everything they needed to know in order to get by. They're the ones with personalized ring-tones on $500 cell phones that can take hi-res digital pictures of the freaking moon, but they can't figure out how to switch the phone to silent in a movie theatre, so we get treated to a (shocking) rendition of "Redneck Woman," or "B*tch," halfway through a good flick. They're the ones that think that Kelvin Sampson was a bad coach based on his record, not his off-the-court problems. They're the ones who park everybody around their digital babysitters, their TV's and computers, and live in a dangerous spider and/or roach-infested home they're paying $200/month for while they have an $800/month car sitting outside their house that they use to get to a job that's only half a mile away from their home. They're the ones that buy no baby books, use the cheapest, least nutritional food possible, put NO emphasis on education in their home, allow the electronic babysitters to rule the roost instead of books, and then wonder why their kids turn out just like them instead of growing up to be rich to take care of them.

THOSE people... To most of them, a baby is a status symbol, not a real person. I want to choke every last one of those motherf*ckers.

the_ouskull

badger
7/29/2008, 12:33 PM
Just had to throw the KS reference in there, didn't you?

These are the same people that say "your" when they mean "you're."
It would be more appropriate to say that they spell it out "your" when they mean "you're" because speaking accents do not determine wisdom. I mean, think of all the foreigners who do not speak English as a first language, but as a second, third, fourth, fifth...20th language.

They are the same people that sat in the back of all of their classes, thinking they were too cool to be told what to do/educated 'cause they already knew everything they needed to know in order to get by.
Ah, computer training. If it weren't for the fact that I spent the first 25 years of my life in a "computer class" unlike my colleagues who still type with their two index fingers.

They're the ones with personalized ring-tones on $500 cell phones that can take hi-res digital pictures of the freaking moon, but they can't figure out how to switch the phone to silent in a movie theatre, so we get treated to a (shocking) rendition of "Redneck Woman," or "B*tch," halfway through a good flick.

It's happened to all of us, either having another cell phone go off at a bad time, or forgetting to turn our own cell off and having it ring when we least desire it to. The corrective measure is to have your ringtone set to the most embarrassing song possible, like Redneck Woman or B!tch so that you will never forget to turn it off ever again.

They're the ones that think that Kelvin Sampson was a bad coach based on his record, not his off-the-court problems.
FIRE CALVIN... oh, wow, what a bad time to have my "Fire Calvin Simpson!" ringtone blare. I should definitely have silenced it before I began typing this message. Sorry. My bad.

They're the ones who park everybody around their digital babysitters, their TV's and computers, and live in a dangerous spider and/or roach-infested home they're paying $200/month for while they have an $800/month car sitting outside their house that they use to get to a job that's only half a mile away from their home.
Did you know that Habitat for Humanity only charges between $200 to $250 per month on their 15 year mortgage plan for people buying houses that they're building? Plus, INTEREST FREE, BEYONCES! I thought about that when you mentioned that figure. It really is a good program to improve your neighborhood.

They're the ones that buy no baby books, use the cheapest, least nutritional food possible, put NO emphasis on education in their home, allow the electronic babysitters to rule the roost instead of books, and then wonder why their kids turn out just like them instead of growing up to be rich to take care of them.
Well, for the record, I don't remember any of the baby books or what food I ate when I was baby and no other baby likely will either, so hehe, why not just read them Sports Illustrated like that one movie to get them to love OU from the very beginning?

Oh, and I didn't grow up to be rich and my parents don't wonder why... I think. Perhaps they're secretly disappointed with me? Ah well, that's what they get for never buying me a Nintendo when all the other kids had one in the 80s. :mad:

THOSE people... To most of them, a baby is a status symbol, not a real person. I want to choke every last one of those motherf*ckers.

the_ouskull

These violent desires to choke motherf*ckers is why he is called the_ouskull people, and further reason why you should never attempt what I have just done - make a mockery of a wonderfully enlightening post. However, nothing like a healthy spek dose as an apology gift, right :D

pergdaddy
7/29/2008, 12:34 PM
Skull,
angry much? Sadly, I agree with what you said. And I have read/heard lots of stuff that babies really are considered status symbols. That's why kids younger and younger are trying to have kids. I think it came up when that school in the northeast (maine? massachusetts?) had the teen pregnancy scandle where like 20 girls where trying or were pregnant or something.

People are much more stupid these days. Really stupid. I'm talking the kind of stupid that makes people stick their hand in a lion cage kind of stupid. You have to have a license or be of age to drink, smoke, rub, watch teh pron, drive, fight in a war, fish, hunt, but nothing for having kids. Hell, you have to go through classes to get married. But not to have kids.

I had my first child when I was 24. I wasn't ready. I've made it through. I've learned along the way. I'm still learning. But my kids like to read, they enjoy military history, watch the history channel, they enjoy Discovery channel, dinosaurs, nature. They love to be outside, swimming, playing basketball, playing on a swingset. Yes, they watch alot of cartoons and I probably allow them to watch some movies they shouldn't watch, but I'm trying. I want them to grow up and do something great, not for me, but for them. Be a leader the world needs or invent something. This is where alot of parents don't care. I've heard guys say that they are kicking their kids out of the house once they are 18. What the h e double hockey sticks? You're never not done parenting.

People pizz me off. I rarely walk out of the Wal-marts without being angry from being surrounded by stupidity or from the ignorance being shown by people.

I can't win.

SouthFortySooner
7/29/2008, 01:12 PM
Dis is kinda like de plane crash. Fifty gazillion peofle went to a mall today. How many forgot the kids in the car?

Tulsa_Fireman
7/29/2008, 01:14 PM
The egg won't roll because roosters don't lay eggs.

Soonrboy
7/29/2008, 03:27 PM
Happened to me and my now 10 year old.

She was probably 6 months old at the time. I left her in a hot car. It was only about 10 minutes, but it changed my whole persepective of things. My children are my number 1 priority, but on that day...

I normally didn't pick her up from her babysitter, but on this day I did because my wife was sick. I had an errand to do. She was in the second seat of the van, in car seat, facing backwards, asleep. My son was 3 at the time and could unbuckle, open the door and get out of the car on his own, pretty much. We pulled up to a store, he hopped out, I hopped out to keep him from getting run over, pushed the button on the sliding door and we went in....

About 10 minutes late, I remember her. I picked up my son and ran back out...opened the door. I was panicking, thinking, Oh my god, I've killed her, because it was hot that day. I pulled her out of the car seat, took her in the store and got some water in her while she cooled down. Then we went to the doctor to do a check. Thankfully, she was fine, but I don't know what would have happened if it had taken me 5 minutes longer to remember.

Scary.

ousoonerfan
7/29/2008, 04:15 PM
I haven't left my kids in the truck, but I forgot to drop them off at daycare and simply drove on to work. It's a scary feeling to be half way to work, look in your rearview mirror and see your son or daughter looking back at you smiling when you totally forgot that you put them in the back seat, you buckled them in. Since then, I make it a point to talk to my kids in the morning when taking them to school.

the_ouskull
7/30/2008, 02:46 PM
Skull, angry much?

You're new to this board, aren't you? :D

Sadly, I agree with what you said.

But even the new guys "get it." That's why being a Sooner is awesome.

I post this rant on an Aggie board, and I'd get (a day or two later, after their 2400 baud modem's dialed up to Orangepower.com or whatever...) a half a dozen posts (equaling the number of teeth of said posters... they smile and look like a freakin' jack-o-lantern) saying, "What's wrong with leaving a baby in a car? I do it at The Weed all the time."

And, to answer the original question... H*ll yes, I'm angry. Anybody with a brain should be getting more and more angry at the constant state of degradation that our country is falling into. We're getting closer and closer to a completely dysgenic society, and it seems that nobody cares. It's like "They Live," only with stupid instead of with aliens. Just call me Rowdy Roddy Skull. :D

the_ouskull

Post Script - Badger... You just made the list, pal.

Sin,
http://www.gardenrant.com/my_weblog/images/2007/12/31/stripes.jpg