PDA

View Full Version : espn pre-season poll

rondog79
7/28/2008, 01:58 PM
#3 boomer sooner baby

Echoes
7/28/2008, 02:15 PM
Hope we live up to it this year. I think we have a great time, and a favorable schedule.

Boomer!

yermom
7/28/2008, 02:16 PM
Updated: June 25, 2008, 10:55 AM ET

:O

Ardmore_Sooner
7/28/2008, 02:21 PM
Linky?

JLEW1818
7/28/2008, 02:22 PM
I cant take anymore of these preseason predictions.

fossil
7/28/2008, 02:27 PM
I could only connect to the ESPN COLLEGE PRESEASON POLL, CAL RANKED 15RTH URL, but on that one it showd the Sooners at #2 with 1426 total points. I likey!!!

Ardmore_Sooner
7/28/2008, 02:28 PM
I cant take anymore of these preseason predictions.

Haha, I thought this was a serious poll. The preseason poll is like predicting the weather, it's never gonna be accurate.

JLEW1818
7/28/2008, 02:46 PM
Haha, I thought this was a serious poll. The preseason poll is like predicting the weather, it's never gonna be accurate.

oh yah. All these poll's just make me more crazy. I just want the season. I like college football more and more every year.

yermom
7/28/2008, 02:48 PM
Linky?

this is the one i was talking about:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3459463

badger
7/28/2008, 03:07 PM
Ok, let's just RE-EVALUATE the teams here...

1. Georgia Bulldogs
Bulldogs coach Mark Richt has some lingering personnel issues as preseason camp approaches, especially his status as head coach in an SEC conference school because he has yet to deliver a championship. We here at ESPN.com sympathize greatly with their rejection last year, because controversy in the BCS equals big ratings for our talking heads. As such, we grant them this No. 1 ranking not for talent, but for headlines. Boo yah!

2. Ohio State Buckeyes
Starting quarterback Todd Boeckman better stay healthy after backup Antonio Henton transferred to Division I-AA Georgia Southern. You know who else better stay healthy? Kirk Herbie, because if he doesn't, nobody here at ESPN will give a d@mn about the whole state Ohio, the whole state Ohio, the whole state Ohio. They won't give a d@mn about the whole state Ohio, cuz WE ARE S-C.

3. Oklahoma Sooners
Sooners coach Bob Stoops spent much of the spring talking to boosters about his team's 5-1 record in Big 12 championship games. But many OU boosters still want to know what went wrong in Oklahoma's 1-4 record in its past five bowl games. We here at ESPN know how vicious said boosters are and will never rank OU below No. 3 ever again because they are holding our pet cat ransom. Please, please return our LOL cat safely. Stuart Scott cries nonstop for him.

4. USC Trojans
A video of USC assistant coach Brennan Carroll putting walk-ons through a tryout was yanked off YouTube after some viewers objected to the coach's foul language. We Espeners whole-hearted-like agree, as we will also never show S-C in a negative light. Yup, that's about all that's going on at S-C, just awesome football. Nothing else to see hereSTOPLOOKINGATOJMAYOok then, moving on...

5. Florida Gators
Bad news for Florida's opponents: OMG TIM TEBOW OMG TIM TEBOW OMG TIM TEBOW OMG TIM TEBOW OMG TIM TEBOW

6. Clemson Tigers
Tigers coach Tommy Bowden can begin feeling the pressure from his new $1.83 million contract. Inevitable comparisons to his father, inevitable Clemson meltdown midseason, inevitable coaching change talks on Sportscenter in 5....4....3....

7. West Virginia Mountaineers
Mountaineers coach Bill Stewart dismissed safety Charles Pugh from the team following his arrest for allegedly using a stolen credit card. Should've gone to Free Credit Report Dot Com. You couldn't seen it coming at you like an atom bomb. Meh, who gives a cough cough about WVU, we only mention them in the same breath as Rodriguez.

8. Texas Tech Red Raiders
The battle for the jumping on the Red Raiders bandwagon got harder when coach Mike Leach suspended ESPN from interviewing MICHAEL CRABTREE for an unspecified violation of media relation rules. Please, PLEASE let us hype him? Please?!?!

9. Missouri Tigers
The defending Big 12 North champions started voluntary summer workouts a week earlier for the second year in a row. Yup, that's about all they've got going on. Sorry, Tigers. We tried our best to hype you for the title game and tried to brush off that loss to OU in the regular season, but you just HAD to go and lose again, didn't you? So, what we are trying to say, in laymen's terms, is M-I-S. T-F-U.

10. Auburn Tigers
New offensive coordinator Tony Franklin still hasn't settled on a starting quarterback, so offseason hype is at an all-time low, especially with the Bama recruiting championship, eh? I mean, we haven't got much to work with here. Um... how long is your coach staying again?

I might do 11-25 if I get bored later. In any event, this is the real rankings, but because they gave B.S. reasons for each, I altered them to reflect ESPN's true agenda :D

NormanPride
7/28/2008, 04:05 PM
It's posts like that which make this place great.

r5TPsooner
7/28/2008, 04:09 PM
I'm more concerned with the Final BCS poll personally.

rondog79
7/28/2008, 04:17 PM
good call but atleast we dont have to blow out every one out by 60 points to climb up to #3

badger
7/28/2008, 04:26 PM

It's sigs like yours that make me LOL. On that note, ESPN.com's rankings, 11-16...

11. Texas Longhorns
Backup quarterback John Chiles will spend the summer trying to get a better grip of the offense. So much for us hyping Colt McCoy a few seasons ago, eh? With the Longhorns trying to replace tailback Jamaal Charles, coach Mack Brown said he intends to use MORE BEGGING to get back to the Rose Bowl (good luck with that, because we are all about the Pac 10-Big 10 matchup now). Look for Texas to be more creative on begging, pleading and bribing to stay this high in the polls, because it's talent level is SUB TOP TEN, as we are showing here with the slap-in-the-face No. 11 ranking.

12. LSU Tigers
All eyes are on LSU's quarterbacks this summer, after heir apparent Ryan Perrilloux majored effed up. Tigers coach Les Miles hinted during speaking engagements this spring that might really be insane, but we here at ESPN will never forgive him for ruining our upset and sure-thing picks throughout his history at LSU and Oklahoma State. Highly regarded ESPN never messes up, especially not Corso. If he says you win or lose, Lester, you dang sure better follow through. No more of this last-second winning, plzkthx.

13. BYU Cougars
The Cougars have their sights set on a BCS bowl invitation, but we are so sick of this song and dance. Here we are, forced ONCE AGAIN to pick a mediocre mid-major to be in contention for the BCS, because we ALL KNOW that mid-major schedules are setup to have mid-talent teams go undefeated and get unquestioned invites to awesome bowl games. We here at ESPN are tired of it because dang it, we have RATINGS at stake and NOBODY wants to watch a mid-major on College Gameday! So anyways, one loss and they're unranked. 'Kay.

14. Tennessee Volunteers
New starting quarterback Jonathan Crompton has a name our F-team announcers will botch over and over. Crompton and the Volunteers' returning receivers will need to transfer if they want to win the conference or the national championships. The Vols are holding their collective breath while waiting to see if Phil Fulmer will ever retire, lose weight, or any other jokes you hear about on the Internet. We personally do not laugh - it is a sad day in college football when 300 lb people on the sideline are not the ones wearing the uniforms and college students never leave their college. Move on, already.

15. Arizona State Sun Devils
Sun Devils coach Dennis Erickson said something?! Holy Desmond Howard Heisman pose, Batman! But... we don't care. It's too much of a hassle to setup College Gameday in the dark, so no west coast games unless USC is involved. We have a monopoly on all college football mainstream agendas and coverage, so get used to not getting any love, Devils. If you could just roll over and leave these rankings, that would be a great help. Thanks.

16. Wisconsin Badgers
Kansas State transfer Allan Evridge wasn't named the Badgers' starting quarterback after spring practice, but the fifth-year senior has the edge over less experienced candidates. Hard to believe this is only the second Big 10 team on the list so far, eh? Well, get used to it. The Big 10 would be omitted ENTIRELY if it weren't for all our Big 10 alumni here at ESPN. They have embarrassed us every bowl season for the last time. We are the worldwide leader in sports and each time Ohio State et al losses to other conferences questions our au-thor-i-tay. No more love, except for Ohio State from Herbie. The rest of you are on your own! Good bye and good riddance.
17-25 later maybe. After the Badgers, not much matters to the badger :D

TheUnnamedSooner
7/28/2008, 04:40 PM
Hope we live up to it this year. I think we have a great time, and a favorable schedule.

Boomer!

Hope we do better than #3

VA Sooner
7/28/2008, 07:05 PM
I'd rather start lower and work our way to the top. Better work ethic and less players resting on what the public thinks.

yermom
7/28/2008, 07:46 PM
that only works if teams above you lose though ;)

i'm ok with #3, they still have something to prove

KingDavid
7/28/2008, 10:41 PM

Does anyone have a link to the 2003 preseason poll? I'm looking for something a little more dated than this.

A Sooner in Texas
7/28/2008, 10:45 PM
Badger, ya GOTS to send your rankings to ESPN! Pure gold that. Bravo!

GreaterState
7/28/2008, 11:01 PM
I'm more concerned with the Final BCS poll personally.

The way things have been going, I'd think you'd want to stop at the one before that one.

:texan:

StoopTroup
7/29/2008, 09:12 AM
this is the one i was talking about:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3459463

Thanks for the link Yermom but I couldn't get past the Old Spice School of TV Medicine. :D

AZSOONER
7/29/2008, 09:30 AM
BYU #13?? Really? Wow.

badger
7/29/2008, 09:39 AM
Badger, ya GOTS to send your rankings to ESPN! Pure gold that. Bravo!

I'm not changing their poll, I'm just REVISING to reflect their true reasoning behind ranking the teams as they are. I wish they would just be upfront and honest with us. There are no outstanding stand-out teams this year. No 2003 Oklahoma's. No 1985 Oklahoma's. No 47-win-streak in the mid 50s Oklahoma's. (I guess we could also mention 95 Nebraska and 2001 Miami).

As such, these lists are just made on preconceived notions and ideas on what makes Team A so much better than Team B. And I'm clarifying and revising to reflect these notions and emotions.

Without further ado, here is the rest, remembering that this is ESPN.com's list, not mine:

17. Kansas Jayhawks
Juco running back Jocques Crawford arrived in Lawrence for summer school and immediately turned heads. Know why? Because they're actually recruiting JUCO talent! That's supposed to Kansas State's job, not Kansas' job! In any event, we were dragged kicking and screaming to include these guys at all, because we fully expect another NOT Big 12 championship season for them and certainly NOT an Orange Bowl, but hey, they're the new guy on top, so we have to stick them somewhere. The KU dart landed on No. 17, so No. 17 it is!

18. Illinois Fighting Illini
Senior receiver Kyle Hudson, who caught 12 passes for 127 yards and one touchdown last season, will forgo... rather, WE'LL forgo anymore talk about the Illini. Really, if they didn't beat Ohio State, we wouldn't even need to mention them. Did you see last year's Rose Bowl. DID YOU SEE IT? Total pwnage. We should buy up the domain rights to FireRonZook.com so that we can resell it for big Illini donor bucks in a few years. In any event, we still hate the Big 10 here at ESPN for all the trouble they've given us recently. Just lose, already, and STOP being ranked!

19. Pittsburgh Panthers
Winning the raffle for "get picked in top 25 despite abysmal showings under fired NFL coaching" is none other than Pitt. Hey, we stopped caring about you since Larry Fitz left a few seasons ago! Make that a few MANY seasons ago. We were really pulling for a sophomore Heisman, but how could he compete with Jason White's knees. The story pretty much wrote itself and it was oh-so much fun to take camera crews out to Tuttle, Okla. In any event, PHAIL. Nobody expects anything out of Big East. We expect even less out of Big East than Big 10, so that's saying something!

20. Virginia Tech Hokies
God bless America, land that I love. Stand beside her and guide her... though the... um, we forget the words. Rather than Googling them, let's switch to another patriotic song... and we're PROUD to be Americans, where at least we know we're free. And we won't forget the men that died and gave that right to... um... WE. Ok, so we're messing up the lyrics, but the point is that dang it, we aren't ready to let go of a feel-good sports story THIS easily. Root for the Hokies if you're an American!

21. Oregon Ducks
Can Oregon's quarterback competition get any more crowded? Can't be much more crowded than Phil Knight wants it to be, *wink wink.* We know that it isn't UO's year, but dang it, it was so much fun being out there at the crack of dawn TWICE for Gameday that we would just like to ACKNOWLEDGE how close they came to being elite last season. How close? Well, let's just say that off the coasts of Oregon, there's a seal. *pause* A see-all. *angry face* A-C-L! Man is our audience slow. Dammit, just play the Sportscenter theme a few times till they catch up... *da da DA! da da DA!*

22. Wake Forest Demon Deacons
How much have expectations changed in Winston-Salem, N.C.? Not much, we just looked out our beautiful ESPN headquarter windows here in Connecticut to fill out these last few picks and thought, "Hey, Wake Forest isn't bad. North Carolina's close by. Let's just put them here." Further reason why we are the worldwide leader in sports - we here at ESPN don't like to travel far. Why else are UConn, Duke and UNC featured so much during basketball season, huh? Oh, they'll never catch on. Remember, our audience is still trying to find Oregon's coastal seal.

23. Fresno State Bulldogs
The Bulldogs open the season at Rutgers on Sept. 1, but coach Pat Hill is calling the Sept. 13 home game against Wisconsin the biggest game in Bulldog Stadium history. Can't argue with that - after all, we really don't check any histories of mid-major teams until they make the BCS bowl. Until then, hey, call them the most powerful offense in the universe for all we care. Go undefeated, or we're staying put here on the east coast, middo majorette.

24. Penn State Nittany Lions
Penn State's five senior captains vow the off-field problems that plagued the Nittany Lions before the 2007 season are a thing of the past. SENIOR captains? Is that code word for Joe Paterno's bridge club? Hehe, that should be our next Sports Nation poll - how old is Joe Paterno? Haha, we made a funny at Joe Pa's age. Too bad A&M can't send us home from the football game, eh? That's cuz we're not cheer boys. We're experts, dang it.

25. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Athletic director Kevin White leaving Notre Dame for Duke might have been a sign of impending doom for the Fighting Irish, but NBC thought enough of their future to renew its TV contract another five years. See, that's why THEY aren't in the same class as us in sports coverage, deals like that. But, more power to them! We sure as hell aren't going to nationally televise their three-and-nine arses. But hey, when we need a spikey haired kid quarterback and a walrus of a coach, we'll know what station to turn to, right? Pstt - We only included them here to make fun of NBC.

Mark Schlabach covers college football and men's college basketball for ESPN.com. He did not write most of this, but we know what he was thinking when he ranked these teams. You can contact him at [email protected].

Mad Dog Madsen
7/29/2008, 09:46 AM
Awesome.

jdubb22bronco
7/29/2008, 10:28 AM
great edits....