PDA

View Full Version : reading Helter Skelter

picasso
7/28/2008, 08:51 AM
we (me and the wife) periodically get books from thrift shops and deliver them to the downtown homeless shelter in Tulsa. they add 'em to their library.
I normally skim a few off the top and then send them in the next batch. I happened to grab said book and have been less than excited about reading it because the evil that I was sure to find.

whoa. haven't been able to put it down. I knew about the title and song but had no idea how Manson really interpreted the entire White album.

I got the heebies a few times reading this thing.

swardboy
7/28/2008, 08:59 AM
Mebbe we shouldn't pass that book on to the extremely disvadvantaged segment of the population.......

C&CDean
7/28/2008, 09:00 AM
we (me and the wife) periodically get books from thrift shops and deliver them to the downtown homeless shelter in Tulsa. they add 'em to their library.
I normally skim a few off the top and then send them in the next batch. I happened to grab said book and have been less than excited about reading it because the evil that I was sure to find.

whoa. haven't been able to put it down. I knew about the title and song but had no idea how Manson really interpreted the entire White album.

I've gotta tell a true story on myself:

It was about 1974/75 and I was out guarding an ammo dump in the middle of the boonies in North Carolina. We did this 2 hours on, 4 hours off routine. Anyhow, I'm on my 2 hour shift sitting in the middle of the woods at about 2 am and I start reading Helter Skelter. I should have known when I opened the book and the first thing you see is "what you are about to read will scare the hell out of you" on the inside cover.

It was a chilly night, but the goosebumps weren't from the cold. That book scared the bejeezus outta me a couple times. Every once in a while I would hear something out in the woods and I'd jump up and strain my eyes - looking for Charlie to be waltzing outta the woods. I can honestly say that was the first and only time I didn't nod out on guard duty. Vincent Bugliosi did a hell of a job on that book.

OU4LIFE
7/28/2008, 09:18 AM
shouldn't you be finger painting something?

OU4LIFE
7/28/2008, 09:19 AM
oh, and i'm extremely disadvantaged, feel free to pass me that book.

kbsooner21
7/28/2008, 09:23 AM
That book gave me nightmares...seriously :D

Frozen Sooner
7/28/2008, 09:51 AM

Careful. The guy who wrote Helter Skelter's newest book is about how how George Bush should be prosecuted for murder. You may wind up on some watch list now. ;)

picasso
7/28/2008, 09:56 AM
Careful. The guy who wrote Helter Skelter's newest book is about how how George Bush should be prosecuted for murder. You may wind up on some watch list now. ;)

ehhh, Bush is a crazy neo-con, he'd a been packing heat and shot up ole Tex and the other loonies. oh you mean war crimes.:rolleyes: ;)

KC//CRIMSON
7/29/2008, 01:34 PM

That book is hella bizzare and crazy times. Kinda like going to the homeless shelter in Tulsa.:D

proud gonzo
7/29/2008, 02:28 PM
that book is amazing.

pergdaddy
7/29/2008, 02:32 PM
I'm reading Batman: The Long Halloween.

Not exactly the same level as the literary choice you made.

Next up: The Watchmen.

I like to read about WWII. Other than that I don't like to read. I've now found the Graphic Novel as my choice. Words and pictures. HEY, I gradumatated from college with a degree. I've done my reading. Now it's time to relax.

pergdaddy
7/29/2008, 02:34 PM
At first I thought he was reading a book about the two cartoon crows. But then I realized that's Heckyll and Jeckyll.

I need a nap.

KC//CRIMSON
7/29/2008, 02:35 PM

I like to read about WWII. Other than that I don't like to read. I've now found the Graphic Novel as my choice. Words and pictures. HEY, I gradumatated from college with a degree. I've done my reading. Now it's time to relax.

Go to iTunes and you can get The Watchmen animated comic for free. Chapter one is available now. Pretty cool.:cool:

pergdaddy
7/29/2008, 02:54 PM
I might have to do that. Thanks for sharing that.

The movie trailer looked pretty darn cool and I loved the line in the trailer:
"The world will look up and shout save us.....and I'll whisper No!"

I just wondered if the book is as good as the movie looks. I keep seeing reviews of the book that says it's the Citizen Kane of the comic book world.

Lott's Bandana
7/29/2008, 05:03 PM
HBO has an interesting documentary on Polanski currently showing on "On Demand", check it out...another perspective on Sharon Tate, et al...

picasso
7/29/2008, 05:10 PM
That book is hella bizzare and crazy times. Kinda like going to the homeless shelter in Tulsa.:D

haha, hey the loading dock sometimes smells like urine, yes.

picasso
7/29/2008, 05:14 PM
yeah, I'd like to see the Polanski bit. I did like The Pianist but after reading Polanski's interview in the book and the thing he did in order to have to stay in Europe I've kind of put him in the Woody Allen dirty old man category.

back to the book, the investigation and trial have been the best parts. as Dean said, Vincent Bugliosi is a genius.

Frozen Sooner
7/29/2008, 05:15 PM

Well, as far as Loeb/Sale work goes, Long Halloween is pretty good. I'd like to see them make that into the third Batman movie.

Cam
7/29/2008, 08:09 PM

It's a very fascinating read. I think I've read it 4 times now. It just grabs you by the nuts and doesn't let go.

AlbqSooner
7/29/2008, 08:19 PM
Once you read that book you will understand why Manson will never see the outside of a prison. Some animals just ain't cut out for domestication.

pergdaddy
7/30/2008, 08:44 AM
Mike,
I was told The Long Halloween is kind of a basis for Harvey in Dark Knight. I've also been told it's one of the better novels written. So I bought it. I haven't gotten into it yet. From what I've been told, you're probably right in that it should be used in some capacity for the 3rd one.

tbl
8/13/2008, 09:01 PM
After reading this thread I put this on my want list from the library. I'm at page 242 now and I can't stop reading it. Bugliosi did indeed do a great job of writing it and putting everything together. I dig the way he totally calls out the inspectors and everybody else that bobbled the investigation and how his genius (and a lot of luck) put everything together. I had no idea how close it was and that there was a HUGE chance early on that they wouldn't even be able to make the case. Fascinating stuff...

tbl
8/13/2008, 09:04 PM
Is Polanski the dude that got convicted of boinking a 13 year old and now he's permanently in exile? I was wondering about that. Reading about what a perv he was back then I should have guessed it was the same guy.

AlbqSooner
8/14/2008, 07:18 AM
Is Polanski the dude that got convicted of boinking a 13 year old and now he's permanently in exile? I was wondering about that. Reading about what a perv he was back then I should have guessed it was the same guy.

One and the same.

OU4LIFE
8/14/2008, 07:49 AM
send me the book Pic.

pergdaddy
8/14/2008, 08:23 AM
Charlie was born and spent part of his early childhood, I believe, here in the Ohio Valley (where I'm at) in McMechen, WV (which is somewhat of a suburb of Wheeling,WV).

Glad he moved out.

TUSooner
8/14/2008, 08:28 AM
The White Album never sounded the same to me after reading that book (which was way back in the day).

SoonerInKCMO
8/14/2008, 09:40 AM
The Motley Crue version totally pwn3d the Beatles version.

C&CDean
8/14/2008, 09:58 AM
The Motley Crue version totally pwn3d the Beatles version.

That's like saying the F-22 totally pwn3s the Wright Flyer.

Any dumbass can take something and make it better. Creativity/inspiration comes from genius. That being said, just like TU states above, the White Album never quite was the same after reading Helter Skelter.

OULenexaman
8/14/2008, 11:25 AM
guess I'll read that book and listen to the White album again....oh crap....I don't have a turntable anymore..

picasso
8/14/2008, 12:34 PM
The White Album never sounded the same to me after reading that book (which was way back in the day).

Me too!

And check this out, after doing some research online, it turns out Trent Reznor (9 inch nails) recorded his 1992 album in the house on 10050 Cielo Drive!
There's even a walk through on youtube.

I guess someone built a Tuscan style mansion on the property recently.

picasso
8/14/2008, 12:35 PM
guess I'll read that book and listen to the White album again....oh crap....I don't have a turntable anymore..

lost it after your mid 90's DJ days huh?