PDA

View Full Version : Myopia and losing bowl games

Jacie
7/27/2008, 05:04 PM
Whilst OUr recruiting and conference rivals are quick to remind all about Oklahoma's four-game bowl losing streak, it isn't as if the Sooners are the only top tier program in the midst of such. Ohio State has lost two title games in a row after winning one in 2002. Notre Dame is on a nine bowl game losing streak dating back to 1994. Another team everyone else likes to play is aTm, going 2-10 over their last 12 bowl games. So don't get defensive about OUr games, focus on this season.

OK2LA
7/27/2008, 07:21 PM
I'm a little defensive about you telling me not to get defensive

Collier11
7/27/2008, 07:33 PM
I understand what you are saying but you are missing the general point. We are all fans of OU, we love OU and we expect OU to win big every year. Several of the past 5 years we have had a great season only to blow our load in the bowl game whether it be a Fieasta or a NCG. We expect more than that, it doesnt define our season but we do expect to see our team play better on the big stage. I agree that the BCS doesnt mean a damn thing so if you arent in the NCG it really doesnt matter other than for pride, but sometimes a hit to the pride is a big deal

StoopTroup
7/27/2008, 08:10 PM
I thought we played well against Boise State.

It was just the last play that sucked IMO.

Sco
7/27/2008, 08:39 PM
Um, the NCAA determined we won the Holiday Bowl in 2005, in case you haven't heard.

SoonerDutch
7/27/2008, 08:48 PM
A&M is definitely a top tier program.

JLEW1818
7/27/2008, 09:07 PM
Who gives a damn that we have lost 4 BCS in a row. I do, but still. What is Stoops suppose to do. Just say some damn magical words and our team automatically does better? Bob knows more about football and coaching than anybody on these boards does. All we can do is give it time hope we win the regular season, and see what happens. We have lost 4 BCS bowls in a row, yet we got the top 3 recruits in TEXAS this past year. Just saying let Bob handle everything.

FYI,I got in a fist fight with a longhorn fan the other day. He claimed that Oklahoma would be nothing without Texas, (recruiting wise). I said, “Not true you sob, if Mack Brown is so good, then why the hell did he let those players leave the state of Texas? He ended up agreeing with me that Brown is a horrible coach and person.

Question of the night

Is Mack Brown still coaching Texas if he does not inherit Vincent Young?

tulsaoilerfan
7/27/2008, 10:16 PM

We played well in the second half; the first half is another story IMO

fadada1
7/28/2008, 05:57 AM
Bob knows more about football and coaching than anybody on these boards does.

BULL SH*T!!!!

:D

olevetonahill
7/28/2008, 06:27 AM
Who gives a damn that we have lost 4 BCS in a row. I do, but still. What is Stoops suppose to do. Just say some damn magical words and our team automatically does better? Bob knows more about football and coaching than anybody on these boards does. All we can do is give it time hope we win the regular season, and see what happens. We have lost 4 BCS bowls in a row, yet we got the top 3 recruits in TEXAS this past year. Just saying let Bob handle everything.

FYI,I got in a fist fight with a longhorn fan the other day. He claimed that Oklahoma would be nothing without Texas, (recruiting wise). I said, “Not true you sob, if Mack Brown is so good, then why the hell did he let those players leave the state of Texas? He ended up agreeing with me that Brown is a horrible coach and person.

Question of the night

Did you rip his Nut sack Off ?

Nuff asked

soonermix
7/28/2008, 08:49 AM
Whilst OUr recruiting and conference rivals are quick to remind all about Oklahoma's four-game bowl losing streak, it isn't as if the Sooners are the only top tier program in the midst of such. Ohio State has lost two title games in a row after winning one in 2002. Notre Dame is on a nine bowl game losing streak dating back to 1994. Another team everyone else likes to play is aTm, going 2-10 over their last 12 bowl games. So don't get defensive about OUr games, focus on this season.

its ok to be upset with an upset and as i recall we were favored in at least 3 of those bowl games.
besides its hard to focus on the season until it starts

and lastly i think it is ok to hold our program to a higher standard then ohio state, notre dame and atm

StoopTroup
7/28/2008, 09:27 AM
We played well in the second half; the first half is another story IMO

I think I might have put the first half out of my mind. That last play was to blame IMO.

soonerfan28
7/28/2008, 10:01 AM
I don't know if this is a fact or not, but didn't Tom Osborne lose 7 bowl games in a row and he's still a legend. I think you could easily consider Nebraska the best team of the 90's. I think at times our offense seams to get vanilla. I'm not claiming to be an offensive genius, but we need to mix it better then what we do and our defense need to play with more fire, I know we need to get faster on defense especially with team like Tech that will spread you out. With the 40 times I saw at OU's pro day I was not impressed.

JLEW1818
7/28/2008, 12:16 PM
Did you rip his Nut sack Off ?

Nuff asked

Haha, we ended up shaking hands. I said if you have some balls take Texas over Oklahoma this year straight up, no spread.

StoopTroup
7/28/2008, 01:19 PM
Question of the night

It's day now.

And he'd still be gone.

TheUnnamedSooner
7/28/2008, 01:55 PM
A&M is definitely a top tier program.

Helluva first post :D

RedstickSooner
7/28/2008, 06:03 PM
I don't like being compared to aTm, the Bucknuts, or Neuter Lame.

Reason enough that we'd better win our next BCS bowl game. Preferably this season.

JLEW1818
7/28/2008, 06:05 PM
I don't like being compared to aTm, the Bucknuts, or Neuter Lame.

Reason enough that we'd better win our next BCS bowl game. Preferably this season.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

goingoneight
7/28/2008, 06:27 PM
Uh, yeah... how many BCS games has aTm been in?

Ohio State's problem is that they haven't been good enough in their games. We've been more than good enough, we've underperformed.

Notre Dame didn't belong... period. Either year.

It's no sweat off my back about these Fiesta losses because I know that even a 50-point BCS loss is technically better than any Holiday Bowl (or lower) victory. I'm pretty sure we'll strighten things out. We've shown no dropoff recruiting-wise and we continue to get there, it's just a matter of coming out on top.

And FWIW... I REALLY don't like the "win the last game" thing. That reeks of "finish" and a potential overlook of teams during the season if/when it matters.

JLEW1818
7/28/2008, 06:34 PM
Uh, yeah... how many BCS games has aTm been in?

Ohio State's problem is that they haven't been good enough in their games. We've been more than good enough, we've underperformed.

Notre Dame didn't belong... period. Either year.

It's no sweat off my back about these Fiesta losses because I know that even a 50-point BCS loss is technically better than any Holiday Bowl (or lower) victory. I'm pretty sure we'll strighten things out. We've shown no dropoff recruiting-wise and we continue to get there, it's just a matter of coming out on top.

And FWIW... I REALLY don't like the "win the last game" thing. That reeks of "finish" and a potential overlook of teams during the season if/when it matters.

Absolutely.

If we win the crystal ball this year are you going to change your name?? lol:)

SoonerInLubbock
7/28/2008, 09:28 PM

I would agree w/you 100%. I think what people look at though, is the fact that it was Boise State. Not really considered as a power house school like OU.

OUgradJeff
7/29/2008, 06:29 PM
I don't know if this is a fact or not, but didn't Tom Osborne lose 7 bowl games in a row and he's still a legend.

Correct. His teams lost their bowl game every year from 1987-1993 seasons.

In fact, his overall bowl record was 12-13. One game below .500, just like Stoops is currently.

JLEW1818
7/29/2008, 06:40 PM
Stoops has coached in 6 BCS bowl games, with a 2-4 record. 1-2 record as far as BCS Championship games. Still not bad considering most coaches have not appeared in that many BCS bowls.

Like I've said before no coach has 2 BCS Championships.

SoonerDutch
7/29/2008, 06:46 PM
Like I've said before no coach has 2 BCS Championships.
Unless you're an Alabama fan talking about Bear Bryant.

Sooner_09
7/29/2008, 07:05 PM
Or SUC claiming their split NC in 2003

JLEW1818
7/29/2008, 07:10 PM
Ya there gay, SUC never had rights to the BCS trophy. They were just AP champions or w/e ...uhhhhh plus 1 system please.

Sooner_09
7/29/2008, 07:20 PM
I'm ready for them to either lose some bowl games, or get hammered by the NCAA

...I guess I want both things to happen:mad:

soonersn20xx
7/29/2008, 07:27 PM
This is a legitimate issue, throw the win/loss record out for a second and ask yourself this.

"Has Oklahoma showed up and played as well as they should have in bowl games?" The answer is simply NO. Whether it's a attitude problem, players losing focus, Stoops not coaching up the team properly.........I really don't know.

But I know this, our team has not showed up in January and played with the same intensity or intelligence as it did during the regular season. I love my Sooners and it frustrates me to see them not live up to their potential.

JLEW1818
7/29/2008, 07:48 PM
Blame Canada.