PDA

View Full Version : Mike Stoops?

r5TPsooner
7/26/2008, 05:37 PM
I see so many posts on Mike in comparison to Venables, I figured that it would make a great discussion piece, so vote away but try to keep it civil please.

Curly Bill
7/26/2008, 05:42 PM
Without turning this into a bash Brent Venables post, the answer is:

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

r5TPsooner
7/26/2008, 05:46 PM
Without turning this into a bash Brent Venables post, the answer is:

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

Nope, I don't want to bash anyone. Just wanted to see % wise, how fans feel on the subject.

Curly Bill
7/26/2008, 05:49 PM
Nope, I don't want to bash anyone. Just wanted to see % wise, how fans feel on the subject.

...and that's why for once I kept it on the down-low. :D

King Crimson
7/26/2008, 05:53 PM
it's a non-issue to me. mikey took the U of A job. time moves on.

not a fan of the bring back the old guys as a general program.

r5TPsooner
7/26/2008, 06:02 PM
it's a non-issue to me. mikey took the U of A job. time moves on.

not a fan of the bring back the old guys as a general program.

I was thinking in Hypothetical terms.

yermom
7/26/2008, 06:36 PM
i can't imagine he would stay very long, kinda like Pelini

OU-HSV
7/26/2008, 06:38 PM
Hell Yes

r5TPsooner
7/26/2008, 07:03 PM
i can't imagine he would stay very long, kinda like Pelini

So you think he would get another shot at a "high profile" coaching job? I would think he'd be an assistant of maybe a lesser school HC.

I'd love to have him back just because I like his coaching style.

VA Sooner
7/26/2008, 09:10 PM
Yes.

sooner n houston
7/26/2008, 10:03 PM
Yes, and I love Venables. I just think they were a great team and would love to see them here again!

goingoneight
7/27/2008, 12:32 AM
I think the correct answer is... "if Mike Leach got the ax at Texas Tech... would you like to see him back here?"

Anyone with great success will always be welcome here.

olevetonahill
7/27/2008, 12:57 AM
It aint gonna happen But we,d be fools Not to want him Back
He would damn sure have a chip on his shoulder and be anxious to prove himself .

goingoneight
7/27/2008, 01:04 AM
I want to see him succeed, but after watching him these last four years, it just appears he's in over his head. Add insult to injury, he tends to talk before thinking at times like :les: does... well... all the time.
Think back to AU/Oregon last year. Dennis Dixon, probably the leading Heisman candidate goes down and you get a nice lead on Oregon in the process. You don't even know if he'll return, you barely have the lead and you're throwing deep passes every down. The team doesn't appear to be managed well. You have to have sick talent to just go out all guns a'blazing and a lot of luck and media pull to succeed that way.

JLEW1818
7/27/2008, 01:21 AM
Just out of curiosity what are the chances after this season that this happens....

BV takes a head coaching job somewhere.
Mike Stoops takes the DC job at Oklahoma.

??

olevetonahill
7/27/2008, 01:35 AM
Just out of curiosity what are the chances after this season that this happens....

BV takes a head coaching job somewhere.
Mike Stoops takes the DC job at Oklahoma.

??

#1 It all depends on what opens up
#2 Aint happening No way jose
Mike inherited a Lot worse program than any of us thot . Hes about got it turned around . I see Him at AZ for a Long time to come .

OU_Sooners75
7/27/2008, 06:21 AM
Anyone that knows me here already knows the answer.

Yes. Let BV and MS be partners again. Seemed to work the first time.

OU_Sooners75
7/27/2008, 06:23 AM
Mike inherited a Lot worse program than any of us thot . Hes about got it turned around . I see Him at AZ for a Long time to come .

:confused:

He does?

How is having just 3 returning starters on defense, no qb, and a host of other gaps to fill, almost having it turned around?

Mike has 1 maybe 2 seasons left to get to and win a bowl game or he is gone.

U of A has been patient with him. But that patience is wearing thin, I am sure.

olevetonahill
7/27/2008, 06:52 AM
:confused:

He does?

How is having just 3 returning starters on defense, no qb, and a host of other gaps to fill, almost having it turned around?

Mike has 1 maybe 2 seasons left to get to and win a bowl game or he is gone.

U of A has been patient with him. But that patience is wearing thin, I am sure.

Lets see you say No 1/4 back
Tui is a returning 4 year starter So that shoots your wad
Next .

yermom
7/27/2008, 07:49 AM
new blood might be good for that team... but improving on 5-7 shouldn't be that hard

if they win the games they probably should, then they should be in a bowl

Scott D
7/27/2008, 08:41 AM
Like Olevet said, the QB has been starting since his freshman year there, and they mixed things up by switching offenses prior to last season.

Their defense has never been the problem, it's the short fields their offense would give up in the past. They'll definitely miss Cason in the secondary though.

olevetonahill
7/27/2008, 12:50 PM
new blood might be good for that team... but improving on 5-7 shouldn't be that hard

if they win the games they probably should, then they should be in a bowl

I agree Bro
Mike has a Lot of Talent assembled. He has consistently Put a Better team on the field each year.
I really Believe he Has that train wreck that he took over On the Verge Of Some good things
JMHO

StoopTroup
7/27/2008, 01:33 PM
Mike and Bob were one heck of a team.

Having Mike back would be like being able to bring this guy back IMO.

W4WSsWgiSr4

olevetonahill
7/27/2008, 01:45 PM
And just as likely to Happen :D

StoopTroup
7/27/2008, 01:54 PM
And just as likely to Happen :D

True :(

I still have me my signed Bob and Mike Construction Helmet. :D

Sometimes I wear it when I'm playin cards in the OVC.

PhilTLL
7/27/2008, 04:27 PM
On the one hand, certainly. Sure. But then again, all we've done since he left is win the conference 3 times in 4 seasons. In a great way. Not exactly hurting around here. Would he have helped win a BCS game since then? Got me.

SoonerinSouthlake
7/27/2008, 05:14 PM
If I had a VBuck for every time someone on this board posted that the team wasn’t the same "attitude-wise" since Mike left....

I don’t believe he was any sort of defensive genius or anything. And who knows what he will end up doing at U of A. But maybe he was Bobs "Robin".

In most peoples minds, what time frame in the Bob Stoops era would people say he went from Big Game Bob-to just a great coach? Yep...KState and LSU. What else was happening at that time....Mike was interviewing and taking the job.

I still believe we can get that mentality back with the right coaches/players, but to me I dont think there is any doubt his departure was a factor.

Hypothetically...heck yes Id love to have him back

SoonerinSouthlake
7/27/2008, 06:20 PM
Mike and Bob were one heck of a team.

Having Mike back would be like being able to bring this guy back IMO.

W4WSsWgiSr4

Or Maybe if Mike went to the Cowboys as a D Coordinater we could get the TRRW to be what we know he can be for the Cowboys