PDA

View Full Version : Not a "good morning," but noteworthy nonetheless...

Okla-homey
7/26/2008, 11:15 AM
On this day in 1947, President Harry Truman, a Democrat from Missouri, signed an Executive Order declaring segregation in the military at an end. Henceforth, everyone was treated the same in the military, regardless of race, ethnicity, or national origin.

The consensus among experts has been it has worked extremely well, and Harry's move 61 years ago today, put the military out in front of the civilian sector by about twenty years.

Today, all Marines and soldiers are green, all sailors and airmen are blue.

The only thing is, black folks make up about 17% of the force in aggregate, yet only constitute about 6% of the officer corps. Try as we might, we haven't been successful in closing that gap. I suspect it has a lot to do with a combination of the circumstances of those folks' communities, poverty and the fact their public schools were crappy.

That said, some military jobs are closed to women, but there has to be a good reason for doing so. As such, the jobs still closed to women are pretty much limited to: field artillery firing batteries, with the exception of multiple launched rocket systems, infantry, and armor (because people in those jobs are likely to close with the enemy and might have to duke it out); and submarines (because personal privacy is virtually impossible.)

Frozen Sooner
7/26/2008, 11:36 AM
In the military's defense, I believe that 7% number is higher than the percentage of Fortune 500 executives who are African-American.

I also wonder about the percentage of African-Americans who choose career service vs. Caucasians that choose career and whether that skews the numbers (in addition to your already posited reasons.)

Okla-homey
7/26/2008, 12:03 PM
In the military's defense, I believe that 7% number is higher than the percentage of Fortune 500 executives who are African-American.

I also wonder about the percentage of African-Americans who choose career service vs. Caucasians that choose career and whether that skews the numbers (in addition to your already posited reasons.)

I have heard some pretty smart people posit that brilliant black officers tend to leave the service after a tour or two because they can do so much better for themselves in the private sector, thus skewing the overall percentage downward. That really doesn't totally hold up because the military officer corps is a pyramid with a lot more guys in the company grades (lieutenants and captains) than field graders. Nevertheless, the relative dearth of senior black officers tends to be a further discouragement to young officers who are at that critical seven year point deciding to leave or remain.

StoopTroup
7/26/2008, 12:11 PM
I really thought this guy was pretty special.

http://www.achievement.org/achievers/pow0/large/pow0-069.jpg

King Crimson
7/26/2008, 12:21 PM
The only thing is, black folks make up about 17% of the force in aggregate, yet only constitute about 6% of the officer corps. Try as we might, we haven't been successful in closing that gap. I suspect it has a lot to do with a combination of the circumstances of those folks' communities, poverty and the fact their public schools were crappy.

That said, some military jobs are closed to women, but there has to be a good reason for doing so. As such, the jobs still closed to women are pretty much limited to: field artillery firing batteries, with the exception of multiple launched rocket systems, infantry, and armor (because people in those jobs are likely to close with the enemy and might have to duke it out); and submarines (because personal privacy is virtually impossible.)

curious, what's the transition between these two paragraphs?

as far as Powell, he seemed to have soured on the Bush first term...and standing up on the questionable sell the war thing was prolly not appealing to a soldier.

Okla-homey
7/26/2008, 03:09 PM
curious, what's the transition between these two paragraphs?

as far as Powell, he seemed to have soured on the Bush first term...and standing up on the questionable sell the war thing was prolly not appealing to a soldier.

my bad, I was merely trying to include the fact the military remains about 25% unsegregated in terms of gender