PDA

View Full Version : Now that Braheny is in the Cfb HOF,what other

stoopified
7/26/2008, 10:14 AM
Sooners should be added? There are 3 OU coaches(Bennie,Bud,Barry) in the HOF but only 15 players(Geyer,Reeds,Young,Tubbs,McDonald,Weatheral l,Roberts,K.Burris,J.Owens,S.Owens,Billy Sims,Greg Pruitt,Braheny,L.Selmon,Jackson.IMHO that is not nearly enough players for one of the most storied programs in cfb history.

Among the most glaring absences are Billy Vessels,Greg Roberts,Jack Mildren,Jack Mitchell,Joe Washington,Rod Shoate,Steve Zabel,INDIAN JACK Jacobs,Anthony Phillips,Mark Hutson,Buddy Burris,Prentice Gautt,Bob Kalsu,Tom Catlin,Bill Krisher,Granville Liggins,Uwe von Schaman.I don't know how long you have to be out of college football but others who deserve future consideration are Jason White,Brian Bosworth,Tommy Harris,Darryl Hunt,Roy Williams.Am I forgetting anyone?

tulsaoilerfan
7/26/2008, 11:13 AM
Jimmie Harris should be in; the guy only won every game he played in and he played the most important position on the football field; of the ones on your list that have long been retired the most glaring to me are Joe Washington, Billy Vessels, and Rod Shoate

King Crimson
7/26/2008, 11:16 AM
Vessels, Mildren, #24, Kalsu, Indian Jack. Jimmy Harris, too.

Bosworth and Roy will get in.

OUgradJeff
7/26/2008, 12:42 PM
Sooners should be added? There are 3 OU coaches(Bennie,Bud,Barry) in the HOF but only 15 players(Geyer,Reeds,Young,Tubbs,McDonald,Weatheral l,Roberts,K.Burris,J.Owens,S.Owens,Billy Sims,Greg Pruitt,Braheny,L.Selmon,Jackson.IMHO that is not nearly enough players for one of the most storied programs in cfb history.

Among the most glaring absences are Billy Vessels,Greg Roberts,Jack Mildren,Jack Mitchell,Joe Washington,Rod Shoate,Steve Zabel,INDIAN JACK Jacobs,Anthony Phillips,Mark Hutson,Buddy Burris,Prentice Gautt,Bob Kalsu,Tom Catlin,Bill Krisher,Granville Liggins,Uwe von Schaman.I don't know how long you have to be out of college football but others who deserve future consideration are Jason White,Brian Bosworth,Tommy Harris,Darryl Hunt,Roy Williams.Am I forgetting anyone?

Um, Billy Vessels (inducted 1974) & Joe Washington (2005) ARE in the CFB HOF.

Some of the others you listed like von Schaman & Gautt aren't eligible as they were never 1st team All-Americans (as recognized by the NCAA).

Other eligibilty requirements is to have finished their college careers atleast 10 years ago & be retired from professional Football.

I agree on several of yours though. I think serious consideration should especially be given to many of the multi-year All Americans like Ralph Neely, Carl McAdams, George Cumby, Terry Crouch, Rick Bryan, Rocky Calmus, & Mark Clayton.

stoopified
7/26/2008, 01:28 PM
Um, Billy Vessels (inducted 1974) & Joe Washington (2005) ARE in the CFB HOF.

Some of the others you listed like von Schaman & Gautt aren't eligible as they were never 1st team All-Americans (as recognized by the NCAA).

Other eligibilty requirements is to have finished their college careers atleast 10 years ago & be retired from professional Football.

I agree on several of yours though. I think serious consideration should especially be given to many of the multi-year All Americans like Ralph Neely, Carl McAdams, George Cumby, Terry Crouch, Rick Bryan, Rocky Calmus, & Mark Clayton.
I got my list from the Oklahoman(my mistake),I thought Vessels and Washington were already in too. I would agree on Jimmy Harris as well.I'm not sure about consensus AA being a requirement as I know. I don't know that Geyer or Reeds were Consensus AA being as they played at OU in the 1915-1918 era.Accordding to what I have read Walter Roland (Waddy) Young was our FIRST consensus AA.In any case there are still many Sooners deserving of being in the HOF who are not.

After searching myself (and not taking the Oklahomans word on it)I found there are actually 17 players and three coaches from OU.Once again proves how shoddy their research is.

OUgradJeff
7/26/2008, 01:35 PM
I got my list from the Oklahoman(my mistake),I thought Vessels and Washington were already in too. I would agree on Jimmy Harris as well.I'm not sure about consensus AA being a requirement as I know I don't know that Geyer or Reeds were Consensus AA being as they played at OU in the 1915-1918 era.Accordding to what I have read Walter Roland (Waddy) Young was our FIRST consensus AA.

They do not have to be Consensus AAs (& you're right, Waddy Young was OUs 1st), they just have to make 1st team All-American from one of the 6 NCAA recognized AA teams. These are the 6 that make up consensus status. While I cannot remember them all, some are the AP, Walter Camp & AAFC.

Here's a link to the CFB HOF: http://www.collegefootball.org/halloffamers.php

Interesting tidbit: OU has 5 coaches enshrined. Biff Jones & Jim Tatum are the other two.

BoulderSooner79
7/26/2008, 02:33 PM
Jamelle Holloway jumps to my mind, but I don't know about his eligibility.

OUgradJeff
7/26/2008, 09:05 PM
Jamelle Holloway jumps to my mind, but I don't know about his eligibility.

Unfortunately, Holieway was never an All-American. There's been a stigma against option QBs on All-America teams for decades now.

r5TPsooner
7/26/2008, 09:30 PM
Brian Bosworth was the greatest college line backer that I've ever seen. If he doesn't get in, it is a travesty.

OUgradJeff
7/26/2008, 10:37 PM
Brian Bosworth was the greatest college line backer that I've ever seen. If he doesn't get in, it is a travesty.

While I completely agree, the steroid issue may keep him out.

Curly Bill
7/26/2008, 10:41 PM
...if his haircut doesn't

http://imgsrv.wfnz.com/image/wfnz/UserFiles/Image/brian_bosworth.jpg

stoopified
7/29/2008, 07:48 PM
I just did a quick check of the CHOF reveals that Notre Dame has 42 players in the Hall.Here we have two programs that are both among the nations elite and yet ND has over twice as many players ennshrined.The fact that the HOF is located in South Bend has NO bearing on this inequity I'm sure. :D

JLEW1818
7/29/2008, 07:52 PM
I know one thing, Charlie Weis donut eating *** will never be there! Hell of a 800th post.

Vet I'm coming for you!

stoopified
7/29/2008, 07:56 PM
Just for grins I checked and UT has only 12.The Irish apparently like UT even more than they dislike us. :)

Jdog
7/29/2008, 09:54 PM
I was at the induction for Washington - it was great. Got to see J. Rice and Joe cover and each other during a flag football game - and Joe did pretty good. Actually the Hall has a special academic wall that is named for Gautt. I thought Harris was already a member.

We had heard while we were there that the Hall might be moved to Irving Texas.

goingoneight
7/29/2008, 10:01 PM
How long before Phaggy McClausen gets in? After his Heisman and four National Championships?

stoopified
7/30/2008, 10:28 AM
After looking at OU,UT inductees in comparison to ND,I decided to look up other top 10 programs and their representation in the CHOF.

Georgia-11
Michigan-12
Nebraska-12
Texas-12
Ohio State-17
Tennessee-17
Penn State-17
Oklahoma-18
Michigan -24
Southern Cal-27
Notre Dame-42

The above listed teams are the TOP 10 all-time winners in cfb history,the number to the right is the number of players that are in the HOF from each school.Does it strike anyone else odd that ND has nearly twice as many players as all other TOP 10 teams ? IMHO this calls in question the validity and impartiality of the hall.

My numbers could be off by one or two players as I did this in a short time period.

badger
7/30/2008, 10:37 AM
...if his haircut doesn't

http://imgsrv.wfnz.com/image/wfnz/UserFiles/Image/brian_bosworth.jpg

Oh dear, his NFL days. Boz sure flopped there, but then again, the absence of roids will do that to you :(

On that note, Sooner fans must be some of the most forgiving fans out there, considering all the problems we've had with players and coaches, but will still welcome back one of our OUr own with open arms.

So...um... is it time to hug John Blake yet?

OUgradJeff
7/30/2008, 06:45 PM
Oh dear, his NFL days. Boz sure flopped there, but then again, the absence of roids will do that to you :(

On that note, Sooner fans must be some of the most forgiving fans out there, considering all the problems we've had with players and coaches, but will still welcome back one of our OUr own with open arms.

So...um... is it time to hug John Blake yet?

Brian Bosworth being lousy in the NFL is a complete MYTH. He was a very good (but not great) LB in the NFL. His injuries just kept him off the field for a lot of games & ended his carreer after only 3 years. The man's had both shoulders replaced & atleast one knee surgery.

And no, Bo Jackson did NOT run over Bosworth.

olevetonahill
7/30/2008, 06:56 PM
Brian Bosworth being lousy in the NFL is a complete MYTH. He was a very good (but not great) LB in the NFL. His injuries just kept him off the field for a lot of games & ended his carreer after only 3 years. The man's had both shoulders replaced & atleast one knee surgery.

And no, Bo Jackson did NOT run over Bosworth.

Yup Spek to you
BB was Injured and collected His Insurance Money

Jdog
7/30/2008, 09:32 PM
After looking at OU,UT inductees in comparison to ND,I decided to look up other top 10 programs and their representation in the CHOF.

Georgia-11
Michigan-12
Nebraska-12
Texas-12
Ohio State-17
Tennessee-17
Penn State-17
Oklahoma-18
Michigan -24
Southern Cal-27
Notre Dame-42

The above listed teams are the TOP 10 all-time winners in cfb history,the number to the right is the number of players that are in the HOF from each school.Does it strike anyone else odd that ND has nearly twice as many players as all other TOP 10 teams ? IMHO this calls in question the validity and impartiality of the hall.

My numbers could be off by one or two players as I did this in a short time period.

What do expect - with the hall being in South Bend.

Jdog
7/30/2008, 09:53 PM
Numbers include coaches

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Football_Hall_of_Fame

stoopified
7/31/2008, 06:12 PM
Numbers include coaches

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Football_Hall_of_Fame
I didn't include coaches or players who played for multiple teams in my count.I counted players listed in the official CHOF site.