PDA

View Full Version : Mike Stoops Comment

SoonerInLubbock
7/25/2008, 09:42 PM
Has anyone seen this yet? This is from the pac-10 media day.

On his own volition, Arizona coach Mike Stoops assessed his coaching performance as, "I was a lot better defensive coach at Oklahoma ... I don't know if it was the players."

here's the link
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8379418

Ya think he misses OU?

OU_Sooners75
7/25/2008, 10:09 PM
Has anyone seen this yet? This is from the pac-10 media day.

On his own volition, Arizona coach Mike Stoops assessed his coaching performance as, "I was a lot better defensive coach at Oklahoma ... I don't know if it was the players."

here's the link
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8379418

Ya think he misses OU?

What is not true about this comment?

I think he does miss Oklahoma. But I don't think he regrets his decision. Either way. I will be nice to have him back for the 2009 season. :D

Jason White's Third Knee
7/25/2008, 10:22 PM
Whatever. They beat the hell out of people that they shouldn't. Their D slobber knocks teams.

I watch them when ever they are on because of the intensity that they have on defense.

goingoneight
7/25/2008, 10:25 PM
It's really tough for me to think of anyone besides Mike or who we've got that I'd really honestly would say can get us to the top. Mickey Andrews is a great DC that's sulking in a program we destroyed. :D There's Bill Young, but he's not anything super-consistent and viewd as a flash-in-the-pan Miami wouldn't dare let us hire away.

Mike needs to get to a bowl game, or else he's gone. People aren't going to take too kindly to another crappy season after he ran his mouth about AUs arch-rival in the off-season. It saddens me to say this, but he reminds me of Dennis Franchione and his snide remarks at media day last year about OU and summer jobs. People are going to look for reasons to get MS gone if he's not any better than say 7-5 GOING INTO post-season.

Still, I don't see him here again... there's going to be someone who wants that head-coaching experience and Stoops name.

OU_Sooners75
7/25/2008, 11:50 PM
It's really tough for me to think of anyone besides Mike or who we've got that I'd really honestly would say can get us to the top. Mickey Andrews is a great DC that's sulking in a program we destroyed. :D There's Bill Young, but he's not anything super-consistent and viewd as a flash-in-the-pan Miami wouldn't dare let us hire away.

Mike needs to get to a bowl game, or else he's gone. People aren't going to take too kindly to another crappy season after he ran his mouth about AUs arch-rival in the off-season. It saddens me to say this, but he reminds me of Dennis Franchione and his snide remarks at media day last year about OU and summer jobs. People are going to look for reasons to get MS gone if he's not any better than say 7-5 GOING INTO post-season.

Still, I don't see him here again... there's going to be someone who wants that head-coaching experience and Stoops name.

You don't see people foaming at the mouths for the name of Stoops, when it pertains to Mark, do you? No.

Let's face it. If Mike fails at Arizona, not many universities are going to be looking at him to coach at their school right away. It isn't like he failed meeting expectations at a well known football school like OU or USC.

He will have to go back down the ladder one spot and build his reputation back up before he is granted another job.

Unless of course he decides to coach at lower level colleges.

Sooner_09
7/26/2008, 12:19 AM
I think he does miss Oklahoma. But I don't think he regrets his decision. Either way. I will be nice to have him back for the 2009 season. :D

Don't count on it:gary:

Phantasm
7/26/2008, 12:46 AM
MS will be fine and have a good year

soonerboy_odanorth
7/26/2008, 05:51 AM
It's always easy to say it from the outside looking in... and we can't say Arizona is a "crappy" job as I'm guessing Mike pulls in a heckuva lot more jing than 99% of us.... BUT....

I always thought he should have held out for a more traditional football power.

If he had stayed at OU through last year Rich Rodriguez would still be at WVU. Mike would have been the perfect guy.

ashley
7/26/2008, 09:30 AM
Doesn't it seem that good players and good coaching go hand in hand. seems that brilliant people always coach at places like tu, usc, uf, ohio su, lsu and OU.

badger
7/26/2008, 10:05 AM
Ok, please tell me if you dispute any one of these facts:

1- Mike Stoops was defensive coordinator at the best school in the country for football, Oklahoma.

Ok, I figured that would be an easy one to slip by you guys without any dispute. :D

2- The school Mike is at now, Arizona, is nowhere near the caliber of his former coaching school, Oklahoma.

Yes, am I two-for-two? Mhmm. Next!

3- The quality of players as far as talent, ability, teachability, work ethic, and dedication is higher at Oklahoma than at Arizona.

I'll defend this one a little more: Nothing is better than playing for a winner, but it can be quite discouraging to play for a losing cause where you aren't even sure if a bowl-eligible record will get you to a bowl (as was the case in Arizona recently). It is easier to recruit the Adrain Peterson's and DeMarco Murray's of the football world to Oklahoma than to Arizona, regardless of who the coach is. Because Mikey is defense, let's use some defensive examples: Tommie Harris. Derrick Strait. Rufus Alexander. You don't see players that get drafted that high, that are contenders for national awards since showing up on campus, those type of players, chose Arizona over Oklahoma.

4- It was probably a lot more fun being known as the hottest head coaching prospect in the country at Oklahoma than as the current head coach of a losing Pac 10 program that can't fill its stadium or compete with the successful basketball program.

Just ask Jeff what year one was like. Even if Arizona's successful at football, will it ever be basketball's equal? At Oklahoma Mike Stoops was given credit for a lot for successes (like Texas victories). At Arizona, Stoops is given credit for a lot of failures (like not reaching bowl games).

5- If he can't win at Arizona this year, he will resign himself rather than wait to be fired.

Mikey's a winner and won't tolerate losing. If he can't turn that program around, I'm not sure who can... maybe they can get Bill Snyder out of retirement? I would love to see Snyder beat up USC quarterbacks for a change.

ashley
7/26/2008, 04:02 PM
teachability?

r5TPsooner
7/26/2008, 04:21 PM
Is there really any doubt that he had better players at OU?

Seriously

VA Sooner
7/26/2008, 05:27 PM
Mike is going to be under a lot of pressure to produce this year. He's had one extra year than most new coaches would... and he has yet to beat their arch-nemesis, Arizona State. Beat AZ St and he may have another year. But he has to get to a bowl game to seal the deal.

If he doesn't... how many here would take him back as co-defensive coordinator? Would be nice to have him back.

ashley
7/26/2008, 07:31 PM
Get over it, lots of guys could have done what he did with the players when he was here.

Curly Bill
7/26/2008, 07:32 PM
Get over it, lots of guys could have done what he did with the players when he was here.

I don't know about all that.

OUgradJeff
7/26/2008, 09:13 PM

No.

Those players didn't recruit & coach themselves.

SOONER STEAKER
7/26/2008, 09:31 PM
Ok, please tell me if you dispute any one of these facts:

1- Mike Stoops was defensive coordinator at the best school in the country for football, Oklahoma.

Ok, I figured that would be an easy one to slip by you guys without any dispute. :D

2- The school Mike is at now, Arizona, is nowhere near the caliber of his former coaching school, Oklahoma.

Yes, am I two-for-two? Mhmm. Next!

3- The quality of players as far as talent, ability, teachability, work ethic, and dedication is higher at Oklahoma than at Arizona.

I'll defend this one a little more: Nothing is better than playing for a winner, but it can be quite discouraging to play for a losing cause where you aren't even sure if a bowl-eligible record will get you to a bowl (as was the case in Arizona recently). It is easier to recruit the Adrain Peterson's and DeMarco Murray's of the football world to Oklahoma than to Arizona, regardless of who the coach is. Because Mikey is defense, let's use some defensive examples: Tommie Harris. Derrick Strait. Rufus Alexander. You don't see players that get drafted that high, that are contenders for national awards since showing up on campus, those type of players, chose Arizona over Oklahoma.

4- It was probably a lot more fun being known as the hottest head coaching prospect in the country at Oklahoma than as the current head coach of a losing Pac 10 program that can't fill its stadium or compete with the successful basketball program.

Just ask Jeff what year one was like. Even if Arizona's successful at football, will it ever be basketball's equal? At Oklahoma Mike Stoops was given credit for a lot for successes (like Texas victories). At Arizona, Stoops is given credit for a lot of failures (like not reaching bowl games).

5- If he can't win at Arizona this year, he will resign himself rather than wait to be fired.

Mikey's a winner and won't tolerate losing. If he can't turn that program around, I'm not sure who can... maybe they can get Bill Snyder out of retirement? I would love to see Snyder beat up USC quarterbacks for a change.

Right opn the money Badger, rihght on the money!!

goingoneight
7/27/2008, 12:58 AM
You don't see people foaming at the mouths for the name of Stoops, when it pertains to Mark, do you? No.

Let's face it. If Mike fails at Arizona, not many universities are going to be looking at him to coach at their school right of way. It isn't like he failed meeting expectations at a well known football school like OU or USC.

He will have to go back down the ladder one spot and build his reputation back up before he is granted another job.

Unless of course he decides to coach at lower level colleges.

I don't see any rings on Mark Stoops, nor do I see any head coaching time on his resume. Sorry, but that argument is phull of phail.

I've seen horrible coaches take another yob after losing an AU-caliber yob. You can't tell me that if Texas Tech lost Leach and knew Stoops was available, that they wouldn't have him on the list. It might be refreshing for Taco Tech fans to see even a hint of defense in Lubbock.

OU_Sooners75
7/27/2008, 06:11 AM

John Blake couldn't.

OU_Sooners75
7/27/2008, 06:15 AM
I don't see any rings on Mark Stoops, nor do I see any head coaching time on his resume. Sorry, but that argument is phull of phail.

I've seen horrible coaches take another yob after losing an AU-caliber yob. You can't tell me that if Texas Tech lost Leach and knew Stoops was available, that they wouldn't have him on the list. It might be refreshing for Taco Tech fans to see even a hint of defense in Lubbock.

LMFAO...try learning how to read the quotes.

Someone said he could land another HC job simply because of his name. That someone was you....

The last name of Stoops isnt a guarantee. Mark Stoops is a perfect example of that. Yes, Mark does not have the HC experience, but neither did Mike until he went to U of A.

PLaw
7/27/2008, 09:39 AM
Man, Mike was a lighting rod - 3 of the top 4 according to that writer.

Simply put, Mike is a Head Coach - he hasn't been a defensive coach since he left OU. May be his heart is not in head coaching? Maybe the grind of being the head coach is weighing on him? Whatever, being an assistant at OU is a lot better than being the Head Coach at about 95% of the Div. 1 programs.

BOOMER

Harry Beanbag
7/27/2008, 09:49 AM
Mike is going to be under a lot of pressure to produce this year. He's had one extra year than most new coaches would... and he has yet to beat their arch-nemesis, Arizona State. Beat AZ St and he may have another year. But he has to get to a bowl game to seal the deal.

If he doesn't... how many here would take him back as co-defensive coordinator? Would be nice to have him back.

He beat ASU his first year, I don't see him doing it this season though.

soonerfan28
7/27/2008, 10:52 AM
Mark Stoops does have a ring from the 2001 season at Miami. He was the D-back coach.

badger
7/27/2008, 11:09 AM
Mark Stoops does have a ring from the 2001 season at Miami. He was the D-back coach.

Oh, and you know, if we're counting Big 12 champions too, he didn't leave OU until 2003 right before the Big 12 championship game vs. KSU (DON'T ask, DON'T tell).

So anyways, Mike also has a 2002 Big 12/Rose Bowl CHAMPION ring.

Right opn the money Badger, rihght on the money!!
Uhh... umm... this is punishment for using the word "teachability," isn't it? Well, Friday/Saturday was my day off, so I'm allowed to use non-words to make a point. I guess the more common non-word to be used here would be "coachability," which isn't really a word either, but we've seen it all the time in the sports world:

"Kobe Bryant is uncoachable." -Zen Knight

Vince Young was also another notable uncoachable. You know, that whole year when we were forced to stop using that old clip art of Mack Brown photographed holding all his championship trophies? Oh, and that other one where we could no longer have those big football player eyes that said "GREAT RECRUITS, NO CHAMPIONSHIPS, OKLAHOMA'S B!TCH" and all? That was a funny one. I should stop. It's much more fun to imagine that year never happening.

Anyways, Stoops will probably be unanimously welcomed back (if we're going by POLE results, hehe) if he so chooses. I also think he would prefer coming back if he is not a success this year at Zona.

"Success at Zona" includes:

1- Bowl.

Ok, that's pretty much it. BOWL. Go to BOWL. That's the goal. BOWL.

the_ouskull
7/27/2008, 09:15 PM
I want Mike back because I don't feel like we've performed well in a big (i.e. - season-ending) game since he left. Say what you will, Coach Bob, about our Big 12 Championships. They're great. But we only get to celebrate those for about a month.

We get to mourn bowl losses for about 8 months.

the_ouskull

Jdog
7/28/2008, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by soonerfan28

Oh, and you know, if we're counting Big 12 champions too, he didn't leave OU until 2003 right before the Big 12 championship game vs. KSU (DON'T ask, DON'T tell).

Didn't know Mark coached at OU?

yermom
7/28/2008, 08:31 AM

Didn't know Mark coached at OU?

he didn't. he does have a ring from Miami though... seems they dropped off a fair amount after he left :eek:

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/stoops_mark00.html

Stoops came to Miami in 2001 from the University of Houston, where he was the co-defensive coordinator and safeties coach under head coach Dana Dimel. Before working with the Cougars, Stoops coached under Dimel at the University of Wyoming where his 1997 secondary was the school's best ever. That Cowboys defense ranked sixth nationally in pass defense and intercepted a school-record 24 passes. That 1997 unit ranked sixth in the nation in pass defense (95.0 ypg) after ranking 98th in the nation (300.9 ypg) in 1996, an improvement of 205 yards per game through the air.

Prior to his stint at Wyoming, Stoops coached at the University of South Florida in 1996 after four years as athletic director and defensive backs coach at Nordonia Hills High School in Macedonia, Ohio. Stoops began his coaching career at his alma mater, the University of Iowa, where he served as a graduate assistant from 1989-91.

StoopTroup
7/28/2008, 09:37 AM
I'm not sure if many of you have met Mike or listened to him Post Game...

He's an amazing guy with tons of charisma.

Here's my take.

He's done what he needed to do at AZ.

Any Div I school looking for a HC would have him on their list.

It's possible that he could become a Defensive Co-ord again if it was the right situation for him to make a run at the MNC for said team....but those jobs are few every year.

With a good year at AZ this year....he's there as long as he wants to stay or until he courted by a contender.

soonerfan28
7/28/2008, 09:55 AM
Maybe Venables will coach high school ball somewhere and we can get Mike to come back.

SoonerRecon
7/28/2008, 10:37 AM

excluding blake and smellsofbourbon of course...

badger
7/28/2008, 11:31 AM
he didn't. he does have a ring from Miami though... seems they dropped off a fair amount after he left :eek

True. Them Stoops boys are easy to confuse which is what happened to me confusing Mark and Mike. My bad. I thought this was a Mike thread and thus was on a Mike mindset.

As cool as it would be to have Mike back or get Mark on board at OU, it would be better to see Mike succeed on his own. I mean, Stoops has had other successful assistants go on to head coaching greatness. Unfortunately, Mike was dealt a tougher hand, it seems... or an easier hand... or the same hand.

Chuck Long, San Diego State: Former Heisman finalist and college football Hall of Famer was 4-8 in one season at SD. A terrible program in dire need of rebuilding. In as worse (if not worse) condition than Arizona when Stoops started. SDSU isn't exactly a fandom/recruiting hotbed, either.

Mike Leach, Texas Tech: All they did in west Texas was run the ball until Mikey showed up. The real challenge is in getting the fans to show up to games, not in having a chance to win every game out there (which they already have). The Tech football program was in dire shape when Mikey showed up, like Zona, but there's also the added fanbase dilemma.

Bo Pelini, Nebraska: An easy situation to get fans behind your cause by ousting Satan incarnate (AD Pederson) and his arch angel (Callahan) from the year before with God himself (but they won't vote him governor) hiring you. The challenge will be to resurrect a once-mighty program to mightiness again... a bowl game and winning seasons will not suffice. Thus, the situation is about as difficult as Zona, but without the fanbase problem.

Mark Mangino, Kansas: How, exactly, do you get a basketball school to support a football team? This situation is the most comparable one to Arizona's. Mangino installed his system and success followed. Not only that, but Mangino got the basketball fans to support another KU team en route to an Orange Bowl invite (which we remind you, was only because they offered more butts in seats than Mizzou).

Mangino could do it at KU, so that means it's all on Mike now to make a miracle happen at basketball school Arizona. You say that they have another school in-state that is better in Arizona State. Well, Mangino had KSU, a mainstay at the top 25, to compete with. You say Arizona's never really been known for football. Neither has Texas Tech, until now (Swoopes made it a women's basketball school).

Go Mike! (and Mark) You can do it! :)

r5TPsooner
7/28/2008, 11:41 AM
True. Them Stoops boys are easy to confuse which is what happened to me confusing Mark and Mike. My bad. I thought this was a Mike thread and thus was on a Mike mindset.

As cool as it would be to have Mike back or get Mark on board at OU, it would be better to see Mike succeed on his own. I mean, Stoops has had other successful assistants go on to head coaching greatness. Unfortunately, Mike was dealt a tougher hand, it seems... or an easier hand... or the same hand.

Chuck Long, San Diego State: Former Heisman finalist and college football Hall of Famer was 4-8 in one season at SD. A terrible program in dire need of rebuilding. In as worse (if not worse) condition than Arizona when Stoops started. SDSU isn't exactly a fandom/recruiting hotbed, either.

Mike Leach, Texas Tech: All they did in west Texas was run the ball until Mikey showed up. The real challenge is in getting the fans to show up to games, not in having a chance to win every game out there (which they already have). The Tech football program was in dire shape when Mikey showed up, like Zona, but there's also the added fanbase dilemma.

Bo Pelini, Nebraska: An easy situation to get fans behind your cause by ousting Satan incarnate (AD Pederson) and his arch angel (Callahan) from the year before with God himself (but they won't vote him governor) hiring you. The challenge will be to resurrect a once-mighty program to mightiness again... a bowl game and winning seasons will not suffice. Thus, the situation is about as difficult as Zona, but without the fanbase problem.

Mark Mangino, Kansas: How, exactly, do you get a basketball school to support a football team? This situation is the most comparable one to Arizona's. Mangino installed his system and success followed. Not only that, but Mangino got the basketball fans to support another KU team en route to an Orange Bowl invite (which we remind you, was only because they offered more butts in seats than Mizzou).

Mangino could do it at KU, so that means it's all on Mike now to make a miracle happen at basketball school Arizona. You say that they have another school in-state that is better in Arizona State. Well, Mangino had KSU, a mainstay at the top 25, to compete with. You say Arizona's never really been known for football. Neither has Texas Tech, until now (Swoopes made it a women's basketball school).

Go Mike! (and Mark) You can do it! :)

I wonder what % of OU fans would like to see him fail this year just to have a chance at getting him back?

StoopTroup
7/28/2008, 11:50 AM
I wonder what % of OU fans would like to see him fail this year just to have a chance at getting him back?

Count me out.

I wish him the Best.

He's a great guy and deserves to be rewarded with a better job than AZ.

Curly Bill
7/28/2008, 11:55 AM
It's OK to me if he does great at AZ this year and then decides to come back. ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
7/28/2008, 11:56 AM
Ahh I just wish him well and hope that he succeeds....Don't necessarily want him back..Now Chuck Long? Please come back!

Curly Bill
7/28/2008, 11:57 AM
Ahh I just wish him well and hope that he succeeds....Don't necessarily want him back..Now Chuck Long? Please come back!

Yeah Chuck was the best. :eek:

badger
7/28/2008, 12:09 PM

Out! It would be selfish to wish a poor situation on him to force him back here.

Of course, for him to have a good situation there and STILL return to OU... now THAT might be more intriguing of an option :D

stoops the eternal pimp
7/28/2008, 12:19 PM
Chuck Long- I'm not near as good of a offensive coach here as I was at Oklahoma..

StoopTroup
7/28/2008, 01:17 PM
Anyway...how could any Coach not miss OU fans. :D

A few might be disgruntled but deep down.....they miss us.

Harry Beanbag
7/28/2008, 04:44 PM
I'm not sure if many of you have met Mike or listened to him Post Game...

He's an amazing guy with tons of charisma.

Here's my take.

He's done what he needed to do at AZ.

Any Div I school looking for a HC would have him on their list.

It's possible that he could become a Defensive Co-ord again if it was the right situation for him to make a run at the MNC for said team....but those jobs are few every year.

With a good year at AZ this year....he's there as long as he wants to stay or until he courted by a contender.

No. If he has a good year this year he probably won't get his *** fired, his act is wearing thin down there. If it wasn't a basketball school he'd already be gone.