PDA

View Full Version : OKC NBA Updated Trademark Search Hits

mfosterftw
7/25/2008, 03:54 PM
I know... I know, but I'm starting a new thread anyway. To me this represents a significant step in the development of the name (as opposed to the domain name registrations).

Some new names came up on the TESS search at USPTO.gov today. All of these have been registered by "NBA DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE, LLC. LTD LIAB CO DELAWARE 100 PLAZA DRIVE Secaucus NEW JERSEY 07094", but the attorney of record is Anil V. George, who's handed all the previous trademark listings for the Sonics. These are all listed as having a Jul 21 filing date.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present you the short list of future names for the franchise:

Oklahoma City Bison
Oklahoma City Barons
Oklahoma City Wind
Oklahoma City Energy
Oklahoma City Marshalls (yes, with two L's)
Oklahoma City Thunder

There's multiple filings for each of these names, each covering a specific set of good & services covered by each mark. That's pretty common. Filing the entire short list is common as well. It protects what will eventually be the name, while simultaneously clouding the waters of those seeking a single specific name.

The D-League registrant listing is a little surprising. The names aren't cross-listed with any past marks held by the D-League or anyone else, and it's easy enough to search based on the blanket "Oklahoma City" and not on the registrant name (The Professional Basketball Club, LLC), so I don't see it as an attempt to hide the filings.

Mixer!
7/25/2008, 05:06 PM
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/7471/laverneshirleyuw1.png

Eh, why not?

Mjcpr
7/25/2008, 06:35 PM
Yes, Bill, this is one of the mentally toughest teams in the league but if you can rattle them early, you should be able to break the Wind.

In NBA news, with the a victory over the Kings today, the Jazz were able to pass the Wind in the standings for the #2 stain, er, spot.

Don't pick that one. :D

sooner2b09
7/25/2008, 06:43 PM
Baron's or Marshal(l)'s

CORNholio
7/25/2008, 06:59 PM
Marshalls sounds great. Didn't think much about it the first time around but it is the best choice. It really grows on you and would be a classic in a decade or so.

Bison would be a great choice too. But the rest are pretty terrible.

CORNholio
7/25/2008, 07:05 PM
http://usbacorporatepartners.com/marshals/marshals.JPG

Only a few teams out there currently use this name. So it's got that going for it.

JohnnyMack
7/25/2008, 08:01 PM
Barons.

Stop talking about it.

CORNholio
7/25/2008, 08:43 PM
Though I don't like the name Barons because it reminds me of a German version of Royals, I would accept it and be happy knowing that it could have been Thunder.

Barons still sounds like a pretentious, ivy league, polo club though.