PDA

View Full Version : Get ready for more gimmickery

Mixer!
7/24/2008, 07:48 PM
How soon before [hairGel] is implementing this (http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=825031)?

goingoneight
7/24/2008, 07:53 PM
Looks like the Mickey Mouse crap Missouri runs already.

Jason White's Third Knee
7/24/2008, 11:01 PM
WEll, if it'll work on anyone, it'll work on us. Hopefully, in a high friggin' profile game again.

OUstud
7/25/2008, 12:10 AM
Why is it the name John Blake keeps popping to mind...

MissouriSooner
7/25/2008, 12:33 AM
With all those skinny white guys running around every which way, that offense looks a lot like what Gus Malzahn runs at Tulsa.

Jacie
7/25/2008, 06:21 AM
He might even resort to some gimmickry.

RedstickSooner
7/25/2008, 08:27 AM
Isn't this basically a lot like that silly play Spurrier sometimes tried to pull at Florida where they'd split linemen out 15 yards, and only have 3 guys line up in front of the QB?

As I recall, it imploded pretty spectacularly when the rush linemen ate the QB like a Twinkie.

OU4LIFE
7/25/2008, 08:58 AM
all pointing and laughing aside, it's actually the first truly innovative thing I've seen in football in some time.

I wish them luck and I hope it becomes everything thy hope it to be. Having said that, I'm still an old school wishbone player/coach that loves the line up and pound them into the dirt type of offense. But it cool to see what other people come up with.

yermom
7/25/2008, 09:11 AM
i could see a coach somewhere like New Mexico or Utah using it, maybe Boise, winning some games and then taking some better job to install it there

maybe Baylor? what do they have to lose?

soonermix
7/25/2008, 09:39 AM
ok i am getting this confused with something else maybe i am dumb but isn't that sorta similar to the ninja formation we lined up in a couple of times???????

setem
7/25/2008, 10:38 AM
I don't think that would work very well at the college level. It would seem that a D with even mediocre speed could stop it.

If players keep to there assignments should be pretty easy to combat if you ask me. I think it is great for a couple of plays here and there so you can catch folks off guard. No for a whole O-Scheme though.

I think we should bring back the vier and make it cool again!

NormanPride
7/25/2008, 11:25 AM
Most likely the NCAA will close up some loop-holes in the rules to make this type of play obsolete. I don't think it's in the best interest of the sport to have something like this dominate offenses, as most of the fans can't comprehend what is really going on. "Hey, somehow we got 18 yards! Wow!" "What the hell?! All those guys just ran around and somehow got 18 yards against us! Boo!"

Etc, etc. I saw somewhere where it may be viable on 4th downs only, which I wouldn't mind. I'm all for innovation, but I'm not a big fan of change that would warp the face of football into something that looks completely different.

royalfan5
7/25/2008, 11:29 AM
This is the kind of stuff that has been run in 6 and 8 man ball for years. It's a ton of fun to play in games like that.

yermom
7/25/2008, 11:32 AM
why not number all your players like that anyway?

OKLA21FAN
7/25/2008, 11:33 AM
ok i am getting this confused with something else maybe i am dumb but isn't that sorta similar to the ninja formation we lined up in a couple of times???????

NINJA formation......good times

OU4LIFE
7/25/2008, 11:45 AM
I'm glad that people who can't comprehend how football is played, don't get to make the rules.

NormanPride
7/25/2008, 02:32 PM
I'm glad that people who can't comprehend how football is played, don't get to make the rules.

I just hope that overzealous coaches don't take a loophole and run with it to let it take over the game. I'm fine with certain situations, but using it as an entire offensive philosophy seems a bit much.

OU4LIFE
7/25/2008, 02:38 PM
I just hope that overzealous coaches don't take a loophole and run with it to let it take over the game. I'm fine with certain situations, but using it as an entire offensive philosophy seems a bit much.

People thought the same thing of the wishbone.

NormanPride
7/25/2008, 03:08 PM
People thought the same thing of the wishbone.

How so? It was a different form of other established offenses like the Wing T, the Veer, etc. and used no loopholes to accomplish its goal. The A-11 offense runs purely out of the quick-kick formation where you don't need 5 people on the LOS. It's a rule designed to protect players rather than open up 9 receivers all over the field.

It's not that I don't like the trick play opportunities it provides, I just don't see how using it as your sole offense is playing within the spirit of the rules, and thus, the game.

yermom
7/25/2008, 03:19 PM
there are still only 5 eligible recievers

NormanPride
7/25/2008, 03:24 PM
Is this a different A11 than the one I read about a few months back? They lined up in the quick kick formation which meant that any of their players could go out on pass routes, right? Or was it that only five could go out, but any five could?

royalfan5
7/25/2008, 03:28 PM
Is this a different A11 than the one I read about a few months back? They lined up in the quick kick formation which meant that any of their players could go out on pass routes, right? Or was it that only five could go out, but any five could?

You are limited as to the number of eligable recievers on any play, and you must have enough players on the LOS. How you accomplish that is pretty much up to you. You can be pretty creative when it comes to offenses if you put your mind to it.

soonerfan28
7/25/2008, 03:36 PM
Who cares. If it doesn't break the rules and you can win games with it then run whatever the hell works.

NormanPride
7/25/2008, 04:29 PM
You are limited as to the number of eligable recievers on any play, and you must have enough players on the LOS. How you accomplish that is pretty much up to you. You can be pretty creative when it comes to offenses if you put your mind to it.

That's the thing, though. This offense makes use of the quick kick formation, where you don't have to have x number of people on the line. Thus, any one of them can be a receiver. A(ll) - 11 are eligible.

My beef is that the quick kick formation has that rule to protect the QB. It's not meant to be taken advantage of like this.

royalfan5
7/25/2008, 04:39 PM
That's the thing, though. This offense makes use of the quick kick formation, where you don't have to have x number of people on the line. Thus, any one of them can be a receiver. A(ll) - 11 are eligible.

My beef is that the quick kick formation has that rule to protect the QB. It's not meant to be taken advantage of like this.

The linked article explictly states that you still must abide by the LOS and eligible reciver rules in this offense.

jrfootballou
7/25/2008, 04:48 PM
big man stuff!

Echoes
7/25/2008, 05:00 PM
I don't really think this type of offense is set up for college, guys.

However, I can see this as a little more then a gimmick in high school ranks. On the site, it says they use it because they are a much smaller school and have the skill players, but are way way oversized and overmatched in competition. To me, something like this would be perfect for a situation like that. Alot of these principles are already in place in 8 man ball, this is just 3 more players on the field.

NormanPride
7/25/2008, 05:18 PM
The linked article explictly states that you still must abide by the LOS and eligible reciver rules in this offense.

Yes, and the site linked in the linked article mentions it uses the "scrimmage kick" formation. It's a loophole. ;)

After watching a few plays I can see how it could be adapted, but I'm still a bit unsure. I like the thought of it being tested at the high school level before it makes it to college, though. If the crowd likes it, the players like it, and it's safer like they say it is, then awesome.

royalfan5
7/25/2008, 05:29 PM
Yes, and the site linked in the linked article mentions it uses the "scrimmage kick" formation. It's a loophole. ;)

After watching a few plays I can see how it could be adapted, but I'm still a bit unsure. I like the thought of it being tested at the high school level before it makes it to college, though. If the crowd likes it, the players like it, and it's safer like they say it is, then awesome.

Yes, everyone is potentially eligable on a given play, but you still have to have 7 on the LOS, and only 6 (counting the QB) can be eiigable on given play. It's up to the defense to identify those 6. It's explained on the linked site.

goingoneight
7/27/2008, 12:47 AM
The only thing I thought was interesting was the I-formation where it went past the QB and straight to the RB on a direct snap. That could be useful with guys like Murray because of their quickness to pick up the lead block.

colinreturn
7/27/2008, 01:25 AM
think about the poor high school referees. having to make sure theres no ineligibles every play. but with 11 players.

Rogue
7/27/2008, 07:44 AM
"If you have 2 quarterbacks, then you don't have a quarterback."

Heh. I kinda like it. Course I like me some gimmickery AND some 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust football.

It still comes down to blocking and tackling.

It is a lot like 6-man football where most plays end up 1 on 1.

yermom
7/27/2008, 07:54 AM
I don't really think this type of offense is set up for college, guys.

However, I can see this as a little more then a gimmick in high school ranks. On the site, it says they use it because they are a much smaller school and have the skill players, but are way way oversized and overmatched in competition. To me, something like this would be perfect for a situation like that. Alot of these principles are already in place in 8 man ball, this is just 3 more players on the field.

yeah, if your biggest players are TE sized, this would work

it's not like you are going to be throwing to Duke or Loadholt too often

Mixer!
2/11/2009, 10:18 PM
Uh-oh... (http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=911196)

Theskipster
2/12/2009, 09:44 AM
In college, the scrimmage kick rules that make the A-11 possible only come into play when there is someone more than 7 yards behind the line to catch the snap and it must be obvious that a kick might be attempted So a team can't run the A-11 in college unless their quarterback is also their primary kicker or they line their kicker up 7 yards back and snap to the QB. Even then only in limited situations like 4th down or last possession of the half.

NormanPride
2/12/2009, 11:03 AM
"The rule was written for a scrimmage kick exception, the number requirement, to aid in terms of long snappers and blocking situations," said Mark Dreibelbis, the supervisor of officials for the North Carolina High School Athletic Association. "They are taking a rule book exception for a scrimmage kick and putting it [in] place every down of the game and that is not the intent of the rule and it is outside the spirit of the rule code and it is an attempt to deceive and attempts to deceive are unsporting acts."

This was my original beef with the concept. I don't mind it as a trick play like college has it set up, but as an entire offense seems outside the spirit of things.

OU4LIFE
2/12/2009, 11:26 AM
And I still feel like it's limited thinking and our natural reaction to abhor change that is in play here. There are many schools, that simply don't have the numbers to compete that could use this offense effectively. just look at how much the game of football has changed from it's origin, and those changes were made by forward thinking people and most were opposed at the beginning as well.

I srsly doubt this could be very effective at the higher levels, but for smaller schools, with lower numbers, it could help them be competitive.

Dan Thompson
2/12/2009, 07:23 PM
When the Kansas coach, the big guy - I can spell his name, was our OC and we where playing aTm in Norman, he called a couple of plays that where labeled by the media as "tackle wide" when the tackles and two receivers lined up on each side. Q was the running back. I think he ran it on two plays and Q got about 35 yards each time.

oudivesherpa
2/12/2009, 07:47 PM
DON'T SHOW THIS TO MIKE LEACH. I CAN JUST THE THE TWO QB'S WITH EYE PATCHES AND MUSKETS. AYE

starclassic tama
2/12/2009, 08:04 PM
looks basically like the ninja formation we ran a few times when leach was OC

colinreturn
2/12/2009, 09:36 PM
Georgia HS officals deemed it illegal, im sure the NCAA would too.

Blues1
2/16/2009, 01:08 PM
I like It ~~~~ Let them Keep Rockin' ~~~ :)

Keep Football Interesting -- I don't see it breaking any rules -- JMHO...!

Beef
2/16/2009, 05:55 PM
Why is it the name John Blake keeps popping to mind...

Then it would have been called A10 or A9