PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Football Preview

OU_Sooners75
7/24/2008, 03:06 PM
courtesy of talkncaasports.com

2008 Oklahoma Football Preview (http://www.talkncaasports.com/index.php?q=node/20)

Four consecutive BCS Bowl losses linger in the minds of the Oklahoma faithful. The fans, the players, and the coaches of Oklahoma want nothing but championships. 2008 will be no different. Oklahoma is once again loaded and the talent is flowing like a raging river. The chore this year, shore up the defensive back seven.

Offense: With 8 returning starters, the offense looks to keep rolling from the 2007 season. Led by Sophomore QB Sam Bradford, the Sooners look to make a bid for their sixth Big 12 Title and eighth National Title. The rushing attack will be by committee. Look for RB Demarco Murray to lead the way. With RB Chris Brown running over the defense. The strength of this already potent offense is intact from a year ago. Their offensive line returns every starter, plus quality depth. Three potential NFL stars anchor this line, led by Duke Robinson and Phil Loadholt. Not that this is enough, OU is also fielding perhaps the best Tight End in the nation this year, Jermaine Gresham. Gresham is a soft handed touchdown magnet. When Sam needs an out, Gresham will provide it. The WR core lost Malcolm Kelly early to the NFL draft. But they did retain Bradford's go to guy, Senior WR Juaquin Iglesias. He led the team in receiving yards and in receptions in 2007. Overall, OU is loaded with weapons on offense. If Bradford has a sophomore slump, it will not be much of one.

Defense: Five defensive starters return for OU and this could be troublesome in the early games. Who will replace Big 12 Defensive POY, MLB Curtis Lofton, corner backs Reggie Smith and Marcus Walker and safety D.J. Wolfe. The good thing here is, Oklahoma has talent on the defensive side of the ball, just not proven talent. Linebackers Austin Box, Ryan Reynolds, and J.R. Bryant look to be tapped as game 1 starters. While FS Lendy Holmes and SS Nic Harris, look to provide the experience in the secondary. Dominique Franks won the right to take over for Walker thanks to a marvelous spring. Brian Jackson looks to be taking over for Reggie Smith. In August this group will be set for sure. Right now it seems to much of a crap shoot to really make any guarantees. The hammer for this unit is the D-Line. Led by Big 12 sack leader DE Auston English, this group looks to be good enough to help the back seven adjust and learn the game. All four defensive line starters return for OU, thanks in part for the return of DeMarcus Granger. Granger was sent home before the Fiesta Bowl for shoplifting and suspended for that game. Perhaps the most impressive of them all, Sophomore Gerald McCoy is getting compared to the likes of Chicago Bears DT, and former OU standout, Tommy Harris. After the first two or three games of the season, this unit may end up being a nightmare for opposing offenses.

Outlook: The offense is intact which is a very good thing for the defense. Look for OU and their new found love for the no huddle to put a lot of points on the board the first few games. OU needs to learn from last year's mistakes, that is being able to play and win on the road. If they can do this, look for OU to be playing for their 8th national championship.

Record Prediction: 11-1

JLEW1818
7/24/2008, 03:08 PM
who is the loss to?

OU_Sooners75
7/24/2008, 03:10 PM
who is the loss to?

UTC...lol

Looking at what happened last year it will be hard to say. I was mainly being uber conservative. If OU can mend their road problems OU will most likely go undefeated.

Other than that, the only games that really scare me right now are Texas and Texas Tech.

JLEW1818
7/24/2008, 03:11 PM
yah i feel yah

badger
7/24/2008, 03:51 PM
If they can do this, look for OU to be playing for their 8th national championship.

Record Prediction: 11-1
Who is the loss to?

UTC...lol
error! error! championship and I-AA loss do not compute!

Then again, I'm not sure one loss to anyone and a chance to play for No. 8 computes. I don't think this will be a repeat of last year where everyone drops a few games here and there to anyone.

Sooner_09
7/24/2008, 05:04 PM
If we lose to UT-C and still win a championship...I'll... I don't know what I'd do:confused: