View Full Version : Les Miles at it agian

sooner n houston
7/24/2008, 02:56 PM
Will this idiot ever learn?

-------------------------------
Miles faces questions about latest Alabama joke
By JOHN ZENOR, AP Sports Writer
Jul 23, 7:28 pm EDT

Buzz Up PrintHOOVER, Ala. (AP)—LSU coach Les Miles found a way to take some of the focus off his players before coming into this state.

Defending a national title? Finding a quarterback?

Those were all hot topics during the Tigers’ visit to Southeastern Conference media days on Wednesday, but so was Miles’ playful poke at the University of Alabama—coached, of course, by his LSU predecessor Nick Saban.

Miles told fans at an LSU booster club meeting in New Orleans last weekend “not to make too much of that (Alabama) game, as it seems like a lot of teams in Louisiana beat that team.” It was a reference to the Crimson Tide’s embarrassing loss to Louisiana-Monroe last season. Or maybe to LSU’s own win in Tuscaloosa.

The crack wasn’t brought up until the second question Wednesday, after a national title defense query and well before anything was asked about the quarterbacks. How would Alabama fare against the 12 colleges in Louisiana? This time Miles didn’t bite.

“I have great respect for the University of Alabama, the history they have presented to college football, the competition they put on every time they hit the field. I promise you that any fun and entertainment that I have with (LSU) supporters is very respectful.”

LSU defensive tackle Tyson Jackson just laughed and shrugged off Miles’ quotes.

“It’s just coach Miles being coach Miles,” Jackson said. “I don’t think he means anything bad about it. He likes to have fun about it. Knowing him personally, I don’t think he was disrespecting an opponent because he has respect for everybody.”

Besides, it gave media days attendees something to ask about besides the national championship the Tigers are trying not to talk. Ditto for the quarterback battle that became more unsettled with the dismissal of Matt Flynn’s heir apparent, Ryan Perrilloux.

Regarding the former, Miles quickly said he didn’t “want to spend a lot of time talking about that.”

“We’re not defending. We’re not dealing with rankings,” he said. “This is a brand new year. If we’re defending, come see the trophy, it’s in our trophy case. We’re not defending it; it’s there.”

“I think the ability to make those plays that your team needs to make to win games … those are things that you’re really waiting to emerge,” he said. “But I think there’s skill. I think there’s development at throwing it, development of running. I think we have that. They just need to get comfortable and get ready to play.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=Aj8lPhdox5zs5SN5xrj.ufUcvrYF?slug=ap-sec-lsuschallenge&prov=ap&type=lgns

JLEW1818
7/24/2008, 03:06 PM
They wont win the west.

badger
7/24/2008, 03:49 PM
The SEC is powerful like always. As such, it will be a disappointment to all teams if they don't make a bowl, 9 of the 12 teams if they don't win the conference, and at least half of the teams if they don't go BCS bowling (and win) and about four teams if they don't win the championship.

Ok... let's run them down just for clarity...

Bowling: All teams, or a failure-of-a-season. For the record, of course this includes Ole Miss and Vandy.

Conference championship: The only three teams that probably do not think they have a shot at the championship are Kentucky (huge talent fallout from last season's surprise), Vandy (like always) and Ole Miss (new coach, rebuilding year). All others, have unrealistic expectations (or realistic in the case of the team I'll list next) of conference title hopes.

BCS bowlin: Only two can go, but six will expect this to be a BCS year, including Heisman-led Florida, defending champion LSU, desperate Tennessee, spend-happy Alabama, fake-titled Auburn and denied-entry Georgia.

Crystal-ball-or-bust: Once again, only two can go to the BCS and I don't foresee two teams from the SEC going to the title game. However, four want in and think it's they're year: Florida, Georgia, LSU and Bama. I named these four because...

Florida has Tebow and a ton of talent.
Georgia is still smirking over last year's denial.
LSU won last year and like all defending national champions, think they can do it again regardless of circumstance.
Bama has recruits and coach they've paid big bucks for and expect to cash in immediately.

Just my thoughts. Lester has always been guilty of having his foot in his mouth, but I suspect that he wants to win and thinks he can win another championship right away. That's just how he is - and while I may not have been the first to suggest this, I think Les and LSU deserve each other :rolleyes:

Sooner_09
7/24/2008, 04:46 PM
Tyson Jackson said it best: “It’s just coach Miles being coach Miles.”

JLEW1818
7/24/2008, 05:40 PM
I think Auburn will have a better conference record then LSU and bama

goingoneight
7/24/2008, 07:47 PM
Uh... yeah... Stoops picks on OSU at just about every Caravan.

Not a big deal.

Jason White's Third Knee
7/24/2008, 11:10 PM
Miles is a kook. I think he fits that place to a T. They are brash and they are a-holes, however, they are a good solid team. Miles is proving his mettle. He's got a hell of a lot of energy and I am sure that the stupid arsed morons that play for him eat that **** up.

It was fun to watch him "let-er-rip" while he was here. Really great sound bite. I wish him a festering case of syphilis.

MissouriSooner
7/25/2008, 12:35 AM
Les Miles is an azzhat, emphasis on hat...

soonerfan28
7/25/2008, 07:21 AM
He's a ****ing genious. Give an up and coming Bama team some bulletin board material. I hope he gets his *** kicked in that game.

sooner n houston
7/25/2008, 07:44 AM

Not a big deal.

Yea, but OSU is NOT Bama! Big diff, IMO.

OU4LIFE
7/25/2008, 09:03 AM
Yea, but OSU is NOT Bama! Big diff, IMO.

uh...don't tell them that. They have no idea they have absolutely ZERO football history. Ask them, and they shaped the modern college football landscape. They have THE MOST POWERFUL OFFENSE IN THE UNIVERSE dammit!

badger
7/25/2008, 09:03 AM

Not a big deal.

Nah, he's switched to picking on the media. To make a mockery of our beloved coach's caravan speech:

Stoops: "We won the Big 12 championship, but all the media wants to talk about is the Fiesta Bowl. The media wants to know why we can't win the bowl game, but I keep telling them we beat the No. 1 team in the country twice, but that media keeps mentioning the Fiesta Bowl. The media thinks last season was unsuccessful, but I'll tell you want makes a successful season, media: A conference championship in the toughest conference in the nation, the Big 12. The media needs to shut up about the Fiesta Bowl. I am so sick of the media."

:rolleyes: Not one of Stoops' best speeches.

TMcGee86
7/25/2008, 10:33 AM
He's just being Mylie.

picasso
7/25/2008, 10:56 AM
"alabama is a tremendous football team, ahhhh with great resolve..."

stonecoldsoonerfan
7/25/2008, 03:05 PM
he'll play any sucker, any where, any time....

jrfootballou
7/25/2008, 04:26 PM
Phillip Fulmer for President!

Boomer_Sooner_sax
7/28/2008, 09:03 AM
Les Miles = Summer's Eve

StoopTroup
7/28/2008, 09:17 AM
It's the SEC.

They eat their own.

OU4LIFE
7/28/2008, 09:20 AM
It's the SEC.

They eat their own.

yeah well, Lester can eat mine while he's at it.