PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Program Prestige Rankings

BillyBall
7/24/2008, 02:32 PM
OU is number 12, a spot in front of Indiana. Pretty good in my opinion...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3493766

Lott's Bandana
7/24/2008, 02:38 PM
OU is number 12, a spot in front of Indiana. Pretty good in my opinion...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3493766

Man, 100 out of 100 basketball xperts would have the Hoosies more than likely in the top 5. Srsly.

ESPN is bored. Numbers don't = "prestige". Numbers = boring.

bp8
7/24/2008, 02:53 PM
while I agree with Lott's that prestige is about perception (I don't know that OU is perceived nationally as the 11th most prestigious bball program in the country), it is a pretty extensive scoring system. Still cool to see the Sooners so high.
Other Big 12 / OK schools:
Texas 18
OSU 32
Mizzou 37
Tulsa 39
Iowa St t-57
Tech t-90
K-state and ORU t-124
Neb t-141
A&M 174
Colo 219
Baylor t-266
KU will be top 3 with Duke and Kentucky I'd imagine.

OKLA21FAN
7/24/2008, 02:58 PM
some other in state 'basketball school' is going to hate this list

bp8
7/24/2008, 03:01 PM
Maybe now they can just be a 'wrestling school'

Beef
7/24/2008, 03:41 PM
Maybe now they can just be a 'wrestling school'

When have they not been?

tommieharris91
7/24/2008, 03:45 PM
KU will be top 3 with Duke and Kentucky I'd imagine.

Replace Kentucky with North Carolina and I'd agree.

BillyBall
7/24/2008, 03:50 PM
Since they are defining the modern era as 85-85 forward, UCLA may get screwed out of the top 5. Goes to show how ridiculous this whole thing is.

soonermix
7/24/2008, 03:59 PM
Since they are defining the modern era as 85-85 forward, UCLA may get screwed out of the top 5. Goes to show how ridiculous this whole thing is.

how far back do you go to make this thing valid?

BillyBall
7/24/2008, 04:06 PM
I think you are missing my point. The way they are defining "prestige" is way too constrictive. UCLA is the most dominant basketball school of all-time. They may not make the top 5, thats the point.

This whole little exercise sucked.

soonerfan28
7/24/2008, 04:10 PM
Nevermind

SoonerDood
7/24/2008, 04:44 PM
you mean GIA alone doesn't make Oklahoma's State #1?

bp8
7/24/2008, 05:30 PM
I think the article said something about only going back to 84-85 because that's when the tournament expanded to 64

OUgradJeff
7/24/2008, 10:29 PM

I think "prestegious" was the wrong word for them to select. Why not just call it the most successful programs over the last 25 years? Thst would be a perfectly valid idea for a list.

Although, I do see how this could be "prestige" if we're viewing it from the eyes of the 18 year olds who have to choose which school to play for. The more immediate past would be of much more importance to them.

stoopified
7/26/2008, 09:15 AM
It just goes to show you can use numbers to support ANY thesis.

Sooner24
7/26/2008, 11:12 AM
What's sad is that we would probably rank in the 50-100 group if it somehow included fan support.

OUgradJeff
7/26/2008, 12:16 PM

Especially when the thesis is correct.

:D

Frozen Sooner
7/26/2008, 01:11 PM

It'd be pretty tough to leave a team with as many Final Four appearances in the last 25 years as UCLA out of the top 5. Kentucky is going to lose points for major NCAA violations. Duke and UNC will likely be #1 and #2, then it's a toss-up for UCLA, Kentucky, and KU. I can't think of any schools that have comparable success over the last 25 to those five, with Duke and UNC being a cut above.

OUgradJeff
7/26/2008, 11:05 PM
It'd be pretty tough to leave a team with as many Final Four appearances in the last 25 years as UCLA out of the top 5.

I'm pretty sure the only one they went to before their current run of 3 straight was 1995 when they won the NC. I don't think 4 is enough to be Top 5, especially with all of the other criteria.

Frozen Sooner
7/27/2008, 04:01 PM
Don't forget that they give extra points for Finals appearances, as well. They'll lose a couple of points for losing to Princeton.

I just can't think of any other team that'd be up there other than possibly Arizona, who's going to lose a ton of points for early-round upsets.

Florida, maybe? They've got three appearances and two wins, but they also had some NCAA trouble and missed the tourney a few times.

UConn? Only two appearances, but won both of them.

tommieharris91
7/27/2008, 04:08 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3501739

Top 10 is right here. I'm kinda surprised to see who is at #2.

Frozen Sooner
7/27/2008, 04:17 PM
Well, paint me purple and call me Mary.

King Crimson
7/27/2008, 04:42 PM
Don't forget that they give extra points for Finals appearances, as well. They'll lose a couple of points for losing to Princeton.

I just can't think of any other team that'd be up there other than possibly Arizona, who's going to lose a ton of points for early-round upsets.

are we still talking about UCLA? Lavin had a sackful of sweet 16 teams.

Crimsontothecore
7/27/2008, 06:09 PM
It's nice to see OU so high but to be honest I hate seeing rankings based on a certain number of past years as opposed to the entire history and body of work. It reminds me of the stoolwater inbreds and their ___out of the last ____ years mantra about football from a few years ago.

tommieharris91
7/27/2008, 06:30 PM
It's nice to see OU so high but to be honest I hate seeing rankings based on a certain number of past years as opposed to the entire history and body of work. It reminds me of the stoolwater inbreds and their ___out of the last ____ years mantra about football from a few years ago.

Yea, but if they do entire body of work, aggys are probably ahead of us due to those 2 championships way back when goaltending was legal.

Crimsontothecore
7/27/2008, 06:35 PM
Yea, but if they do entire body of work, aggys are probably ahead of us due to those 2 championships way back when goaltending was legal.

True, but they would also have to face the reality of OU's dominance over them in football as opposed to ignoring 77 defeats based on a handful of victories.

tommieharris91
7/27/2008, 06:42 PM
True, but they would also have to face the reality of OU's dominance over them in football as opposed to ignoring 77 defeats based on a handful of victories.

Uhh, this is the basketball forum. We discuss our very real dominance over the prison oranges in basketball here. Football is football, basketball is basketball. The only claim of being a better basketball school is that they have won championships awhile back. Our program is better in almost every statistic, over just about every time period.

Besides, we have owned them in football for a while now.

the_ouskull
7/27/2008, 08:50 PM

97% of people agree with you according to a statistic that I just made up to support my statement.

the_ouskull

Mixer!
7/27/2008, 09:03 PM
People, people, people...

Number of tournament appearances (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Tournament_bids_by_school) is still the standard by which a basketball program's success is measured, no matter what slow-news-day tomfoolery the four-letter network comes up with.

Please don't believe their hype.

tommieharris91
7/27/2008, 09:27 PM
I think I have to throw this (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109384) and this (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109384) here.

OUgradJeff
7/27/2008, 09:44 PM

Florida, maybe? They've got three appearances and two wins, but they also had some NCAA trouble and missed the tourney a few times.

UConn? Only two appearances, but won both of them.

And UCLA loses points for the Tulsa loss & I think one more.

I don't think UCLA was really that great before Harrick revived them in the mid-90s, then they kina went mediocre again under Lavin. In fact, they've missed the NCAA tournament 5 times over this stretch.

Here are teams with better or close Final 4 resumes to UCLA over this time period:
-Duke (10/ 3 NC)
-UNC (8/ 2 NC)
-Kansas (7/ 2 NC)
-Kentucky(4/ 2 NC)
-Florida (4/ 2 NC)
-Michigan State (4/ 1 NC)
-Arizona (4/ 1 NC)
-UCLA (4/ 1 NC)
-Syracuse (3/ 1 NC)
-Michigan (3/ 1 NC)
-Indiana (3/ 1 NC)
-Arkansas (3/ 1 NC)
-UNLV (3/ 1 NC)

So, you can see, just by Final 4s & Final 4 success, there are more than a dozen programs over the last 24 seasons that stack up with UCLA.

OUgradJeff
7/27/2008, 09:55 PM
People, people, people...

Number of tournament appearances (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Tournament_bids_by_school) is still the standard by which a basketball program's success is measured, no matter what slow-news-day tomfoolery the four-letter network comes up with.

Please don't believe their hype.

OU ranks 20th all-time. Not bad.