PDA

View Full Version : SICEM, what did you do now?

OKLA21FAN
7/24/2008, 12:51 PM
Did you find out what your special purpose was for? :pop:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/072408dnmetbaylorpres.884debaa.html

Baylor University fires President John Lilley 12:34 PM CT

12:34 PM CDT on Thursday, July 24, 2008

By SAM HODGES and SCOTT FARWELLL / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]
[email protected]

The Baylor University Board of Regents voted today to fire the university's president, John Lilley.

SicEmBaylor
7/24/2008, 01:30 PM
Have you ever been to a Baptist church? Have you ever noticed how Baptists really truly do fight with each other over church policy ALL the freaking time and seemingly over the most inconsequential crap? Now imagine instead of a small church you have the largest Baptist university in the world. The same exact infighting is found.

Baylor is split between two primary factions and have been since the days of President Sloan. Lilley was brought in to try to unify the various factions and instead he made the situation worse by alienating the faculty. I didn't like Lilley at all, but I also don't like the Board of Regents. So this fight is a little like watching Enemy at the Gates in that I'm unsure of who I should be rooting for.

Baylor often provides a text-book example of how not to run a university.

frankensooner
7/24/2008, 01:39 PM
So, how many presidents have come and gone during your tenure? ;)

JohnnyMack
7/24/2008, 01:43 PM
Jews don't recognize Jesus as the son of God, Protestants don't recognize the Pope, and Baptists don't recognize each other in the liquor store.

SicEmBaylor
7/24/2008, 01:45 PM
So, how many presidents have come and gone during your tenure? ;)

Counting interim Presidents...I'll be on my 4th when a new interim President is named and 5th when the permanent President is announced.

So, 5 Presidents and 3 football coaches. Not to mention 2 US Presidents.

Hamhock
7/24/2008, 01:48 PM
Jews don't recognize Jesus as the son of God, Protestants don't recognize the Pope, and Baptists don't recognize each other in the liquor store.

If you take two baptists fishing they won't drink any of your beer. If you take one baptist fishing, he'll drink all of your beer.

Ike
7/24/2008, 02:19 PM
Overrulling the faculty and denying tenure to roughly 40% of people the faculty recommend for tenure will always rankle some feathers.

Any insight into why the overrullings? If he's trying to turn Baylor into a top tier university, this kind of thing gets noticed by potential job applicants.

SicEmBaylor
7/24/2008, 02:54 PM
Overrulling the faculty and denying tenure to roughly 40% of people the faculty recommend for tenure will always rankle some feathers.

Any insight into why the overrullings? If he's trying to turn Baylor into a top tier university, this kind of thing gets noticed by potential job applicants.

Yep, you're right. I have no idea why he has done some of the **** he's done. It wasn't just the tenure issue either - he also tried to change our official colors and drop the interlocking "BU" logo that we have fought like hell over the years to keep away from Boston University.

Still, he was a slight improvement over Sloan the previous President.

Okla-homey
7/24/2008, 03:35 PM
Have you ever been to a Baptist church? Have you ever noticed how Baptists really truly do fight with each other over church policy ALL the freaking time and seemingly over the most inconsequential crap? Now imagine instead of a small church you have the largest Baptist university in the world. The same exact infighting is found.

Baylor is split between two primary factions and have been since the days of President Sloan. Lilley was brought in to try to unify the various factions and instead he made the situation worse by alienating the faculty. I didn't like Lilley at all, but I also don't like the Board of Regents. So this fight is a little like watching Enemy at the Gates in that I'm unsure of who I should be rooting for.

FWIW, I heard something from the pulpit at my church (FBC-Tulsa) last Sunday I never thought I'd live to hear preached in a Southern Baptist church. My pastor said, ,<paraphrasing> "There is nothing inherently wrong with alcohol. In fact, there is no scriptural reason to avoid alcohol if a person is capable of drinking responsibly. There is, however, a lot wrong with getting drunk. The Bible is clear on that."

Now, I half expected 12 guys to bust in the door carrying a wooden rail at shoulder height and run up the aisle, put him on it horsey-style, and run him out of the church like that scene in Oh Brother Where Art Thou. But you know what? It didn't happen. You know what else? As of today, he still has his gig as pastor.

all things in moderation.

Sooner_Havok
7/24/2008, 03:39 PM
all things in moderation.

Even Obama hating ;) :D

SicEmBaylor
7/24/2008, 04:37 PM
I'd like to say, again, for the record that I was raised Methodist not Baptist.

badger
7/24/2008, 04:44 PM

Its ok. We know being Baptist isn't a required part of being a Baylor Bear. I mean, our former Congress dude Ernie Istook - the one who tried to beat Gov. Henry - was once a student there.

Everyone who knows politics knows that he's Mormon :D

SicEmBaylor
7/24/2008, 04:57 PM
Its ok. We know being Baptist isn't a required part of being a Baylor Bear. I mean, our former Congress dude Ernie Istook - the one who tried to beat Gov. Henry - was once a student there.

Everyone who knows politics knows that he's Mormon :D

Congressman Brad Carson was also a Baylor graduate which means at one time, 2 of Oklahoma's 5 congressmen were Baylor grads.

Mixer!
7/24/2008, 06:43 PM
Counting interim Presidents...I'll be on my 4th when a new interim President is named and 5th when the permanent President is announced.

And that's been over...what? The last 10-11 years? :texan:

Chuck Bao
7/24/2008, 07:53 PM
Who’s surprised that Lilley was fired?

Ike, the “denied tenure” blindside was a colossal and costly mistake. That’s just stating the obvious, I know. I have no idea why, but you’ve got it right that it will be noticed by potential research staff recruits.

But basically it is the same old thing that has been going on at Baylor for more than 25 years. It’s the never-ending battle between the conservatives and proponents of a modern, open-minded university. It’s trying to define the “Baylor experience.” It’s about having unrealistic expectations of becoming a top tier university. But mostly, it’s all about politics involving money and religion and education (probably in that order) all rolled up in one giant mess.

I would like to see the board of regents resign to take responsibility, but that isn’t likely to happen.

With all of that being said, I’m ready for Baylor football to start. Yeah, I know. But, Baylor football is not a religion and I don’t think politics is too much involved.

Okla-homey
7/24/2008, 07:59 PM

the only difference between Methodists and Baptists is Methodists allow women who wear "sensible shoes," pant suits and mens wristwatches be pastors.;)

bluedogok
7/24/2008, 08:16 PM

Much like the SBC itself.......

SicEmBaylor
7/24/2008, 08:20 PM
Much like the SBC itself.......

Yeah, but you know they only have like two seats on our BOR these days. The Southern Baptist Convention used to run the show down there, but President Herb Reynolds put an end to it back in the late 80's, early 90's...something like that.

olevetonahill
7/24/2008, 08:32 PM

Dude your 7 years Outta Highschool Dont you think Its time to get off your Mamas teet and make a living ?
:rolleyes:

SicEmBaylor
7/24/2008, 08:43 PM
Dude your 7 years Outta Highschool Dont you think Its time to get off your Mamas teet and make a living ?

Yes, this is why I'm going to college.

olevetonahill
7/24/2008, 08:44 PM

Dude I know 2 young men your age that have done 4 years in the Military and are almost ready to Graduate
Do you even have a Major ?

Curly Bill
7/24/2008, 09:14 PM

Don't let 'em kid ya SicEm, making a living isn't all it's cracked up to be. It's work.

Chuck Bao
7/24/2008, 09:25 PM
Yeah, but you know they only have like two seats on our BOR these days. The Southern Baptist Convention used to run the show down there, but President Herb Reynolds put an end to it back in the late 80's, early 90's...something like that.

Herb Reynolds. That's the president of Baylor when I went there and that’s the signature on my diploma. I was trying to remember.

The split in the SBC was a huge issue. Another huge issue was the scandals of tele-evangelists (Baker, Swagger, etc) and the fact that donations dried up. It was either that or the drop in oil prices, real estate bust in Dallas and then Houston, low cattle prices, etc.

Anyway, way back when I went to Baylor, it was the second cheapest private university in the US and pretty good value for the money. A lot has changed from those days.

mdklatt
7/24/2008, 09:30 PM
The new president is an old white guy Presbyterian instead of an old white guy Baptist. It's good to seem them embracing diversity. :D

bluedogok
7/24/2008, 09:31 PM
Don't let 'em kid ya SicEm, making a living isn't all it's cracked up to be. It's work.
That's for sure, always remember Rodney Dangerfield's quote at the end of Back to School.

Thank you, Dean Martin,
President Sinclair...

and members
of the graduating class.

I have only one thing
to say to you today...

it's a jungle out there.

You gotta look out
for number one.

But don't step in number two.

And so,
to all you graduates...

as you go out into the world
my advice to you is...

don't go!
It's rough out there.

Move back with your parents.
Let them worry about it.

OKC Sooner
7/24/2008, 09:34 PM

I'm thankful I was raised Baptist; because of that, sex will always seem dirty to me :D

Chuck Bao
7/24/2008, 09:46 PM
The new president is an old white guy Presbyterian instead of an old white guy Baptist. It's good to seem them embracing diversity. :D

And if only the new preisdent had worked for an accounting agency that handled Enron books, that would add a whole new selling point for the business school. No...?

My first day at Baylor and I'm told that I'm there to make more money and that's okay because the business school is ranked on the starting salaries of its graduates.

What's even better is that the Texas banks hosting us on recruitment interviews said that we had to step up our game because they were granting interviews with Harvard business school graduates. Funny that most of those Texas banks went under within the next couple of years.

SicEmBaylor
7/24/2008, 11:41 PM
Dude I know 2 young men your age that have done 4 years in the Military and are almost ready to Graduate
Do you even have a Major ?

Of course. In fact, I have two.

Chuck Bao
7/24/2008, 11:57 PM
Of course. In fact, I have two.

Go into Baylor law school since they graduate so many Oklahoma politicians.

One of my best friends went into Baylor law school at the same time I went to the business school. She was named one of Texas 10 best lawyers last year. Not bad for a girl from a small town in eastern Oklahoma.

SicEmBaylor
7/25/2008, 03:31 AM
Go into Baylor law school since they graduate so many Oklahoma politicians.

One of my best friends went into Baylor law school at the same time I went to the business school. She was named one of Texas 10 best lawyers last year. Not bad for a girl from a small town in eastern Oklahoma.

I always assumed that I would go into law school. I assumed it since I was in 5th grade to be honest, but the only kind of law that really interests me is constitutional law and I don't think there's much of a market for constitutional attorneys. Plus, I'm highly unmotivated and detest working too hard which isn't a winning formula for law school (or anything else for that matter).

olevetonahill
7/25/2008, 05:49 AM
I always assumed that I would go into law school. I assumed it since I was in 5th grade to be honest, but the only kind of law that really interests me is constitutional law and I don't think there's much of a market for constitutional attorneys. Plus, I'm highly unmotivated and detest working too hard which isn't a winning formula for law school (or anything else for that matter).

So your gonna Milk the Parental Teet all you can ?:mad:
get off your deadass and do something Boy:mad: :mad: :mad:

Okla-homey
7/25/2008, 06:02 AM

Look, don't take this personally, but, have you ever been checked out for learning disabilities? I've known several folks recently that were drifting educationally, who when diagnosed and medically treated for what ailed them, along with being granted special accomodations by their school, were able to complete a degree.

olevetonahill
7/25/2008, 06:11 AM
Look, don't take this personally, but, have you ever been checked out for learning disabilities? I've known several folks recently that were drifting educationally, who when diagnosed and medically treated for what ailed them, along with being granted special accomodations by their school, were able to complete a degree.

Homey I dont think the Boy Know come here from sicem
just sayin

Mixer!
7/25/2008, 11:08 AM
Needs more ritalin.

badger
7/25/2008, 11:23 AM

Chris Farley: A lot of people go to college for seven years.

David Spade: Yes, they're called "doctors."

;)

SicEmBaylor
7/25/2008, 01:40 PM

I have explained this situation now at least a half-dozen times and yet I'm still subjected to this nonsense about my academic performance. Let me make this VERY clear for what I hope is the last time -- my prolonged career as a student at Baylor is due entirely to a financial situation brought on by a disease my sister was diagnosed with several years ago. I keep having to take semesters off because my parents have to play financial "catch up" every time my sister becomes ill again. I did goof off too much my first semester at Baylor, but that was simply bad judgment. My GPA in college is 3.68. I have never had any sort of academic trouble due to an inability to understand or learn the material.

My troubles at Baylor are financial not academic. I don't know how much plainer I can be on that issue.

Animal Mother
7/25/2008, 01:56 PM
I was raised Southern Baptist but I survived. I said that before I ever heard Rhett Butler say it.

A priest, a rabbi and a Baptist walk into a bar...... Wait a minute.... A priest and a rabbi walk into a bar......................

Cam
7/25/2008, 01:57 PM

Can't be ran nearly as bad as the two I went to, they're both closed...

badger
7/25/2008, 02:40 PM
My troubles at Baylor are financial not academic. I don't know how much plainer I can be on that issue.

I'm sorry Sic, I thought we were being humorous here, much like your very first post was meant to be humorous, I assume.

I still remember it, because it was so funny - it was the week before the Baylor game a few seasons ago. Basically, we had resident whorn fans here, we had a few resident stragglers from the 2003 championship vs. LSU. We even had stragglers from Bama and hopeful championship opponent Auburn here.

But... NO Baylor football fans. Especially not here, where we didn't even have any resident OSU fans at the time aside from Stunned Aggie. There just wasn't a such thing as a Baylor football fan, especially not on the Web. After all, that was the one Big 12 game you had leg room at.

And here is this guy signing on as SicemBaylor telling us that we Sooners are going down. It was the funniest thing ever, as were the responses - things like "Grr, I'm a scary bear." and such.

So anyways, hope you haven't lost your sense of humor. :)

SicEmBaylor
7/25/2008, 02:53 PM
I'm sorry Sic, I thought we were being humorous here, much like your very first post was meant to be humorous, I assume.

I still remember it, because it was so funny - it was the week before the Baylor game a few seasons ago. Basically, we had resident whorn fans here, we had a few resident stragglers from the 2003 championship vs. LSU. We even had stragglers from Bama and hopeful championship opponent Auburn here.

But... NO Baylor football fans. Especially not here, where we didn't even have any resident OSU fans at the time aside from Stunned Aggie. There just wasn't a such thing as a Baylor football fan, especially not on the Web. After all, that was the one Big 12 game you had leg room at.

And here is this guy signing on as SicemBaylor telling us that we Sooners are going down. It was the funniest thing ever, as were the responses - things like "Grr, I'm a scary bear." and such.

So anyways, hope you haven't lost your sense of humor. :)

The Sooners ARE going down to defeat at the hands of Baylor. Maybe not this year, maybe not next year, but some day! =)

I haven't lost my sense of humor. I don't mind the razzing at still being in school after all these years, but I want to dispel any notion that it's due to academic problems.

olevetonahill
7/25/2008, 03:05 PM
Hell I know it aint academic Its LAZY :P

SicEmBaylor
7/25/2008, 03:38 PM
Hell I know it aint academic Its LAZY :P

I'm definitely lazy. I freely admit that.

badger
7/25/2008, 03:40 PM
The Sooners ARE going down to defeat at the hands of Baylor. Maybe not this year, maybe not next year, but some day! =)

Surely you jest.
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0eiR1djbalcW9/340x.jpg
You make Skeletor scream.