PDA

View Full Version : A Little History Help Please

soonershane22
7/24/2008, 12:42 PM
We were sitting around talking about the past Bowl games today and who the quarterbacks were each season. Hopefully you guys can help:

1999-2000 - Josh Heupel comes in and he and Stoops bring OU football "almost" all the way back! Close loss to Notre Dame and a VERY close loss in the Independence Bowl against Mississippi. Right?

2000-2001 - A magic team! Josh leads his team through Red October and to a 7th National Title against FSU in the Orange Bowl.

2001-2002 - This is where we get confused. Did Nate start this year and then lose the position to White or did White start the season and blow out his first knee bringing Nate back in? Either way, was it Nate that won against Arkansas in the Bowl game?

2002-2003 - Again, is this a year that White had the job, blows out his other knee and Nate comes in? Again, a bowl win in the Rose Bowl and Nate's name is forever on the copper plaque as MVP.

2003-2004 - White's team outright. (correct?) Bowl loss #1 in the NC game to LSU.

2004-2005 - White's team again. (correct?) Bowl loss #2 in the NC game against USC.

2005-2006 - Bomar's team now and he leads us to a victory over the mighty (hahaha) Oregon Ducks...only to have the victory snatched from us because he was an idiot.

2006-2007 - Left in a pickle, Paul Thompson steps up and delivers an amazing season for someone who never really got his chance. Tough loss in the Fiesta to Boise State.

2007-2008 - Another new quarterback in the mix, Sam Bradford. The kid goes out and sets a Freshman record, Heuple loves him, he listens to Heuple and the fans adore him! (He really does have the potential to be one of the greats.) Then we go on the road...not good...then we see West Virginia and their quarterback after the game is able to utter the words "we were just hungrier than they were tonight." Something that we never ever thought that we would hear about a Stoops team.

2008-2009 - This teams sets up on paper to be one of the greatest teams to ever play in the Crimson and Cream. I think that Stoops is finally getting sick of his own Bowl losing streak and wants the nickname "Big Game Bob" back. Can't wait to see what this year holds!

Okay, that is what we came up with over lunch. Could you guys please help out by filling in who started at quarterback, things that happened those years to change outcomes, things like that? Thanks!

soonerfan28
7/24/2008, 12:52 PM
Nate lost to White in 2002-2003. We keep the win in th Holiday Bowl I think. I agree that we need to not feed our guys so much on the trip to the Fiest Bowl and then they will be hungrier. After watching the video from the 2000 season it just seemed like that year everybody on the sideline was going nuts. It doesn't seem like we have that same energy on the sideline, especially the coaches.

Jdog
7/24/2008, 01:52 PM
Nate lost to White in 2002-2003. We keep the win in th Holiday Bowl I think. I agree that we need to not feed our guys so much on the trip to the Fiest Bowl and then they will be hungrier. After watching the video from the 2000 season it just seemed like that year everybody on the sideline was going nuts. It doesn't seem like we have that same energy on the sideline, especially the coaches.

I think that you and 22 are both kind of right.
White got the start until he blew out his knee - Nate comes in - we beat CU in Big 12 champ game in Houston and Naters goes on to be MVP of the Rose bowl against WSU.

Frozen Sooner
7/24/2008, 01:57 PM
Nate Hybl was the starter to begin the 2001 season and got injured vs. KSU but tried to go vs. Texas. Jason White came in vs. Texas and led us to the win, then blew out his knee vs. Nebraska. Hybl finished the year as the starter.

soonerfan28
7/24/2008, 01:59 PM
Did we keep the Holiday Bowl win?

Frozen Sooner
7/24/2008, 01:59 PM
In 02/03 White was the starter until he hurt his other knee against Alabama. Hybl finsihed out the year, becoming Rose Bowl MVP in the process.

Frozen Sooner
7/24/2008, 02:00 PM
Did we keep the Holiday Bowl win?

The Holiday Bowl always recognized us as their champion. However, all wins from the 2006 season were reinstated.

soonerfan28
7/24/2008, 02:04 PM
The Holiday Bowl always recognized us as their champion. However, all wins from the 2006 season were reinstated.

Thinks for the clarification.

soonershane22
7/24/2008, 02:08 PM
Nate Hybl was the starter to begin the 2001 season and got injured vs. KSU but tried to go vs. Texas. Jason White came in vs. Texas and led us to the win, then blew out his knee vs. Nebraska. Hybl finished the year as the starter.

Okay, this is what we were trying to figure out. I had forgotten that Nate had started and then been hurt so that is when White came in. He blew out his first knee and that is when Nate came in and finished the season. The next season White was the starter and blew out his other knee and Nate finished the season and won the Rose Bowl. Is my math correct???

Thanks guys! This was the place that we were having trouble remembering because of all the switches and injuries. I started out really not liking Nate at all and then he grew on me and in hind sight he was a LOT better than we gave him credit for. Although, the moment that I really started likng Nate was when he called Trabor out on TV and Trabor backed down and wouldn't say anything over the air....classic!

JLEW1818
7/24/2008, 02:24 PM
So in the end we can conclude that it seems that Jason White has been here forever.

badger
7/24/2008, 02:34 PM
Here's an easy way to remember 2001 - Heupel replaced by Hybl. They sound alike, so of course everybody eats up that headline :D

White started in both 2001 and 2002 at some point. You can remember this by the ACL tears. White won the starting job in '01 midseason until he tore his ACL for the 01st time. Then White won the starting job from the start in '02 until he his ACL for the 02nd time :eek:

Remember that ENA was White's backup in 03, however... um... think that E backwards (as in ENA) is a 3. So 3NA or 3 N/A, where ENA played, but never started.

ENA in 04 was a redshirt season, so it was White or Hays McLonghorn, hehe.

05 ENA was the starter for TCU, after which he became the backup and a WR. He defiantly wore a red practice jersey (as opposed to a blue jersey usually reserved for the DONOTHITTHEQB quarterback) to the practice after TCU because of his replacement. Bomar started the rest of 05, with ENA backing him up.

06 was all ENA with Hazle as backup. Bradford redshirts. We recruit Iceman to be a third option, but he doesn't play until 07.

07 was all Bradford, with the except of the Tech game, which was a lot of Hazle. Iceman played in fourth quarters and did not reshirt as a third stringer. With the recruitment of LJ, Iceman transfers back to original commitment Michigan State.

08 Bradford still the starter, Hazle and LJ in waiting.

Sound good, guys? There were also some straglers along the way, including Hunter Wall, Noah Allen, Tommy Grady. Hunter had some playing time in 01 when White and Hybl both had injury issues (notable memory cuz he also wore No. 14 like Heupel). Noah Allen had some fourth quarter time after White and ENA in 03 methinks. Grady is significant because he was the third QB in the QB battle of 2005. If Grady stayed, he would likely have been the starter in 2006 instead of ENA, who would have likely stayed at WR.

Do remind us about the Trabor incident with Nate, please :D

I have always liked our starting QBs (aside from RB). They have such fun personalities. For the naysayers out there who hate on Nate, remember that he remains to this day the only Sooner quarterback in the Stoops era to have made a gameday NFL roster (with the Browns). Heupel was with the Dolphins briefly, ENA had some practice squad time with the Packers, but only Nate made the pro level.

So... Nate and Traber? Now you have to tell the story. :)

Jason White's Third Knee
7/24/2008, 02:36 PM
So in the end we can conclude that it seems that Jason White has been here forever.

6 glorious years. Imagine how smart he is after all of that schoolin'.

Frozen Sooner
7/24/2008, 02:43 PM
Here's an easy way to remember 2001 - Heupel replaced by Hybl. They sound alike, so of course everybody eats up that headline :D

I can't tell if your smiley face was for everyone eating up the headline or making fun of people who think those two names sound alike.

badger
7/24/2008, 03:39 PM
I can't tell if your smiley face was for everyone eating up the headline or making fun of people who think those two names sound alike.

That was a froshie year of college. All the Heupel/Hybl talk was silly and a fond memory of that initial semester before football started, hence the smiley. Once football started, however, there was a lot of "Hit Hybl harder" and "It's not Nate's fault" yelling those next few seasons, which was kind of disheartening (especially all the booing). I remember this one guy with absolutely no athletic talent whatsoever that would chastise some of our players (including Nate) because their stats weren't impressive enough or whatever. Definitely people you don't want to listen to for several hours in the hot Oklahoma sunlight.

In any event, you still haven't told the story of Hybl and Traber. :(

Frozen Sooner
7/24/2008, 04:04 PM
I wasn't the one who brought Hybl and Traber up.

But it boiled down to Traber saying some really crappy things about Nate during the season and refusing to apologize or back down even after Nate won the Big 12 championship game.

badger
7/24/2008, 04:29 PM
I wasn't the one who brought Hybl and Traber up.

But it boiled down to Traber saying some really crappy things about Nate during the season and refusing to apologize or back down even after Nate won the Big 12 championship game.

I have looked this up on Youtube. Is this it?
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b8wSkAkvE38&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b8wSkAkvE38&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

After watching this, Al Esch really does have short man syndrome, doesn't he?

SoonerDood
7/24/2008, 04:41 PM
Trabes and Dougie that night= Aggie envy at it's finest

Sooner_09
7/24/2008, 04:55 PM
Don't forget about Grady. If he had not have transfered he may have been OUr guy in 05.

OUMallen
7/24/2008, 06:10 PM
then we see West Virginia and their quarterback after the game is able to utter the words "we were just hungrier than they were tonight." Something that we never ever thought that we would hear about a Stoops team.

After inexplicable losses to OSU throughout the years, and a 35-7 drubbing in 2003 to KSU at Arrowhead, to being at the CU this last year, I've seen PLENTY of hungrier teams. It's not often, but it's certainly not unheard of.

goingoneight
7/24/2008, 07:43 PM
^^^ Good point... but honestly, who doesn't have thsi problem from time to time. Even Switzer remembers KU and aggy beating him.

Is there any team in all of the NCAA who didn't squeeze a cranial steamer at least once last year?

Michigan? Oh, wait... D-1AA Appy State... gotcha.
Ohio State? Oh, wait... Juice Williams can't beat us!!! SEC slaughtering us was a fluke, too, right?
LSU? Oh, wait... I lost to two unranked teams (:les: ON MY HOME FIELD!!!)and still got the BCS to suck me off and let me play for an MNC on my home field.
SUC? Oh, wait... We never lose... not even to crappy Stanford and Oregon teams.
Oregon? Oh, wait... did we even win a game these last four years without Dennis Dixon or cheating?
Notre Dame? Oh, wait... this is full-blown cranial diharea.
WVU? South Florida anyone? Pitt anyone?

All teams lay a turd from time to time. That's why true National Champions, ones like OUrs in 2000 are so special. You may think that so-and-so could have beaten them... but you have absolutely no proof whatsoever to back it up.

soonershane22
7/24/2008, 09:40 PM
Oh, I so love that clip!! The look on Traber and Gottlieb's faces are a classic. Okay, so if I read the history that I posted correctly, Nate Hybl is the only quarterbakc in the Stoops era to win every Bowl game he played in?

I realize that Rhett won his but with all of his boneheaded moves, do we give him credit for it? He did almost lose it for us as well and you have thought he had lost it when Stoops came blasting on the field after he downed that ball on the 1 yard line was it?

I am so anxious to see what Sam can do if two things happen:

1) he stays healthy all season and with the o-line that he has this year, he is going to have a lot of protection

2) he can get things together on the road and get some convincing wins outside of Norman

Salt City Sooner
7/24/2008, 10:00 PM
One thing I didn't see mentioned here re: '01- The week after White performed his heroics vs. Texas came the KU game. Nate started again, but was obviously still shaken (a broken collarbone will do that to a guy), & White had to relieve him for a second straight game. This was the game JW hit Trent Smith for 4 TD's. It's also the answer to a great trivia question (considering the state JW's knees ended up in), that being the fact that in this game, JW was the last OU QB to run for 100 yards. White then got his only 2 starts of the year the following 2 weeks vs. BU & NU.

badger
7/25/2008, 09:20 AM
Oh, I so love that clip!! The look on Traber and Gottlieb's faces are a classic. Okay, so if I read the history that I posted correctly, Nate Hybl is the only quarterbakc in the Stoops era to win every Bowl game he played in?

I realize that Rhett won his but with all of his boneheaded moves, do we give him credit for it? He did almost lose it for us as well and you have thought he had lost it when Stoops came blasting on the field after he downed that ball on the 1 yard line was it?

I am so anxious to see what Sam can do if two things happen:

1) he stays healthy all season and with the o-line that he has this year, he is going to have a lot of protection

2) he can get things together on the road and get some convincing wins outside of Norman

After you view that clip, you have to view this classic as well:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7n36lYGA9Nw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7n36lYGA9Nw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

PROOF that Traber can be confrontational when he wants - but odds are that if he got into an argument with Hybl he wouldn't be able to keep his job. So, perhaps he is an older and wiser Traber. Then again, maybe he's just a wussie :D

I certainly think that beating up little Japanese pitchers is a prerequisite for becoming one who has the right to criticize a Big 12 champion quarterback :D

I also think that recognition on one of the Baltimore Oriole's all-time lists (http://www.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=3428)brings credibility to his criticism.

I would have to agree that there is nothing like being cheered heartily by thousands of Major League fans as you're being helped off-field due to injuries

soonershane22
7/25/2008, 09:56 AM
See, that is the thing, if you got into itwith Trabor you would have plenty of time to think about your first move because it would take him awhile to get there to you! hahaha I think that Nate just let it go because he had an early tee time.

badger
7/25/2008, 11:02 AM
See, that is the thing, if you got into itwith Trabor you would have plenty of time to think about your first move because it would take him awhile to get there to you! hahaha I think that Nate just let it go because he had an early tee time.

It isn't just traber. It's all of the broadcast sports media, a majority of whom are former athletes that didn't make enough money playing the game, so they're making their money talking the game. It doesn't seem like this is as much of a problem on the Web or in print, but give a former athlete a microphone or a television camera and all of the sudden "THEY MUST PROTECT THIS HOUSE!"

As such, all fellow opinions are competitors and the sports casters must defend their turf - their opinion, as the case is - and get into shouting matches, and not give any ground to anyone else. All others are opponents and must be defeated.

Former athletes, given an audience, seem like they have to prove something or be somebody that they think the audience expects them to be. As such, Traber acted exactly like you would expect a former pro baseballer/OSU quarterback to. Traber has something to prove, because he didn't make it in pros very well. As I recall from reading up his baseball profile, the Orioles traded away a future Hall of Famer for Traber, a sub-.240 batter that kept striking out. Ouch!

Thoughts?

soonershane22
7/25/2008, 05:39 PM
As I recall from reading up his baseball profile, the Orioles traded away a future Hall of Famer for Traber, a sub-.240 batter that kept striking out. Ouch!

Thoughts?

Not really a thought...more just like a happy smile. :D