PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones is no softball player

PhiDeltBeers
7/24/2008, 10:21 AM
Had the opportunity to play against Landry Jones and Tress Way last night in Broken Arrow. Well, we've played them 3 times and won everygame. Landry wiffed at the first 2 pitches and then popped up to the pitcher. This is slow pitch softball. I was actually playing catcher at the time, and after the second wiff, I told him it's a good thing he can throw the ball. Haha. He misjudged a few balls in right field as well. I guess if your a major college recruit, it doesn't always mean your gifted at every sport. He did stroke a single to center field his 2nd at bat.... Just thought I share with everyone.

soonerfan28
7/24/2008, 10:46 AM
I think our softball team will be OK without him.

PhiDeltBeers
7/24/2008, 11:00 AM
I think our softball team will be OK without him.

He sure wouldn't help 'em out much. More like they'll be better off without him.

badger
7/24/2008, 11:02 AM
It's not Landry's job to swing a bat - it's to pitch the ball.

Pitch the ball into the outfield to an outfielder... pitch it far, but pitch it fair.... pitch it so that it is a sure fire out from a sure fire catch that ends the inning for the losing visitors.

... I got nothin'

kbsooner21
7/24/2008, 11:03 AM
What is he doing up in that sh*tty part of the state anyway? :D

OUster
7/24/2008, 11:05 AM
OK, I feel better that this is more common. I was considered a pretty good athlete at one time, but never played baseball or softball. I recently joined a co-ed softball team from my office. I suck. It hurts...my dignity, my pride, my wallet (I sponsor the damn team). It is not as if I cannot run or I throw like a girl or cannot hit, if I connect. However, I misjudge balls in the outfield, I am not the most accurate thrower in the infield and I struck out for the first time a week ago. I am glad Landry and I may have the same problems with softball. This is like therapy. Thanks for the post. Anyone else wanna' share?

ousoonerfan
7/24/2008, 11:16 AM
Our church put together a team and we play in Tulsa. I haven't played any organized sport in over 15 years and have never played Softball. Needless to say, I was concerned. So far, our team is 3-7 with 6 games left to play. I play right field (not too much action out there). I've had three hits drop in front of me, caught 2 flies, dropped one fly, had 1 fly over me to the wall and chased one down that that on the just fair. I've hit much better than I thought I would. No strikeouts, three walks and several base hits and one double. Overall, I've had fun and will probably play again next summer.

PhiDeltBeers
7/24/2008, 11:20 AM
OK, I feel better that this is more common. I was considered a pretty good athlete at one time, but never played baseball or softball. I recently joined a co-ed softball team from my office. I suck. It hurts...my dignity, my pride, my wallet (I sponsor the damn team). It is not as if I cannot run or I throw like a girl or cannot hit, if I connect. However, I misjudge balls in the outfield, I am not the most accurate thrower in the infield and I struck out for the first time a week ago. I am glad Landry and I may have the same problems with softball. This is like therapy. Thanks for the post. Anyone else wanna' share?

I must admit, our team is loaded with former college baseball players from ages 25-30. One of our players played centerfield for OU. I myself played high-school ball at Owasso. I have struck out before and so have many others. It can happen and it's almost as embarrassing as wiffing on the t-box in golf. So don't feel too bad.

soonerfan28
7/24/2008, 11:23 AM
I've played on a family team in a small town for about 15 years now and we've done pretty well in smaller coed tournaments. I think I might have struck out when I first started playing.

OU4LIFE
7/24/2008, 12:01 PM
people whiff on the tee box in golf?

that's just crazy talk.

AZSOONER
7/24/2008, 01:41 PM
Had the opportunity to play against Landry Jones and Tress Way last night in Broken Arrow. Well, we've played them 3 times and won everygame. Landry wiffed at the first 2 pitches and then popped up to the pitcher. This is slow pitch softball. I was actually playing catcher at the time, and after the second wiff, I told him it's a good thing he can throw the ball. Haha. He misjudged a few balls in right field as well. I guess if your a major college recruit, it doesn't always mean your gifted at every sport. He did stroke a single to center field his 2nd at bat.... Just thought I share with everyone.

You must not be that good either playin catcher.:eek: :D J/K

sooner94
7/24/2008, 01:58 PM
I'm actually glad to hear this about Landry and the other poster about his softball issues. I was a decent athlete in my time, up through the high school level, and I can't catch a fly ball to save my life. I am not allowed to go anywhere near the outfield when I play.

I always thought I was a tool, since softball seems like an easy game.

PhiDelt- Does he have good feet? Reasonably athletic? We don't need him to run around to much, but just to be nimble in the pocket.

trey
7/24/2008, 02:21 PM
dude, you are the catcher for a slow pitch softball team. you might want to leave that part out the next time you tell the story.

PhiDeltBeers
7/24/2008, 02:40 PM
dude, you are the catcher for a slow pitch softball team. you might want to leave that part out the next time you tell the story.

I'm the freakin best catcher in the league baby! No actually I play 2nd or short most of the time. Our team switches positions about every inning. As for Landry in the outfield...he looked like an uncordinated puppy. Hopefully he won't have to scramble too much. He's got decent size as far as height, but doesn't look like he could bench 225. He'll have some time to put on a little size and strength though.

goingoneight
7/24/2008, 07:23 PM
Until we fire Brent Venables, Landry's softball skills just won't improve. [/smart@$$]

yermom
7/24/2008, 07:30 PM
i'm kinda sad our last game for the season is Sunday :(

somehow my hitting has gotten worse as the season has gone on. i'm gonna blame it on not playing for a few weeks. yeah, that's it...

i won't mention who's team we beat a couple weeks ago :D

i missed that game anyway :mad:

Animal Mother
8/6/2008, 05:36 PM

We had a glove that was clear plastic and hollow. When filled with beer it looked the color of leather. We didn’t win many games in OU intramurals circa 1975 but we sure got in a lot of trouble. Some nit wit actually caught a ball with the damn thing and broke it. I think we beat him bloody with it or maybe just laughed. We were the ZUGS!!! No strike out stories from back then bu the 90s??? Holy crap!!! I could catch everything but couldn't fall out of a boat and hit the water!

Crimsontothecore
8/6/2008, 07:05 PM
I'm the freakin best catcher in the league baby! No actually I play 2nd or short most of the time. Our team switches positions about every inning. As for Landry in the outfield...he looked like an uncordinated puppy. Hopefully he won't have to scramble too much. He's got decent size as far as height, but doesn't look like he could bench 225. He'll have some time to put on a little size and strength though.
I certainly hope that you called coach Stoops and told him he had a major bust on his hands. Maybe it's not too late to pull his scholly.

birddog
8/6/2008, 07:19 PM
I certainly hope that you called coach Stoops and told him he had a major bust on his hands. Maybe it's not too late to pull his scholly.

you're right, i read the EXACT SAME thing from his post.:rolleyes:

go back to bashing the pokes. it's what you do best.

Crimsontothecore
8/7/2008, 10:16 AM
you're right, i read the EXACT SAME thing from his post.:rolleyes:

go back to bashing the pokes. it's what you do best.
Better to bash the pokes than to start a pointless thread bashing a QB's athletic ability based on his performance in a slow-pitch softball game.

Judging by your defensive stance, I'm guessing that you're PhiDeltBeers backup at catcher? Or maybe just a groupie since he is the "freakin best catcher in the league" :rolleyes:

The Maestro
8/7/2008, 10:21 AM
In a thread about Landry Jones, I wanna just say thanks to the folks who decided it would be nice for all of us to hear about their own softball stats both on the field and at the plate. Great additions to the thread.

???

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2008, 10:26 AM
I could throw this football over those mountains

Crimsontothecore
8/7/2008, 10:30 AM
I could throw this football over those mountains

Are you serious??

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2008, 10:35 AM
we coulda won the championship if coach woulda put me in