PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Capel....How long does he have left at OU?

OU_Sooners75
7/24/2008, 04:31 AM
I cannot answer this question. And I will ask another here shortly. But let me say this first.

During Coach Capel's first season at OU, I was perhaps his biggest naysayer. I did not think then he was what we needed. But I also reserved the right back then to change my mind.

Today, I think he is beyond what we need. Meaning, I do not think he will stay here for a long while.

So, now I ask. How long do we have Capel? If he continues to recruit like this, will we be able to fund this guys paycheck?

I have a feeling when Coach K at Duke retires, Capel will be the first on their list and he will be gone.

Curly Bill
7/24/2008, 04:34 AM
So, now I ask. How long do we have Capel? If he continues to recruit like this, will we be able to fund this guys paycheck?

We're paying Stoops like eleventy-billion a year, we can pay Capel too.

I have a feeling when Coach K at Duke retires, Capel will be the first on their list.

Not yet close to the top of the list...maybe someday though.

Ton Loc
7/24/2008, 07:46 AM
I think it depends on a lot of things. Some obvious things:

Money
More Fans
New/Updated Arena
Aggressive/Dedicated support for the program from Joe C.

If those things happen or at least develop over the next couple of seasons I think we'll keep him a little longer. I don't think money will be a problem, it's the last three. Coincidentally, more fans, new/updated arena, and support from Joe C have a lot to do with each other. I keep my fingers crossed for the last three every season. And it looks like Jeff is doing his part.

Boomer.....
7/24/2008, 07:51 AM
No one thought Stoops would be around this long after the 2000 season. I'm sure Joe C. will continue to throw money at Capel as the team gets better. Hopefully the team will get to the top of the Big 12 and we will have a long term coach.

soonerfan28
7/24/2008, 08:04 AM
As long as he wants.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/24/2008, 08:49 AM
I think he'll be here for a very long while IMHO. But it's too soon to even think about the possibilty of Coach Capel leaving. He's just getting started.

soonervegas
7/24/2008, 09:47 AM
6-8 years. I am basing this on the fact that I think he is going to have us as a fixture in the top 10 sooner rather than later. Couple that with the fact of OU's terrible fan support = he leaves at the first sniff of a top rate basketball job.

soonerfan28
7/24/2008, 10:20 AM
I agree that when Coach K retires it will be hard to not leave for that job even if it's tomorrow.

Ardmore_Sooner
7/24/2008, 10:35 AM
I agree that when Coach K retires it will be hard to not leave for that job even if it's tomorrow.

Trust me, Capel won't be the top choice for the Duke job.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/24/2008, 10:42 AM

And what makes you so sure???

MojoRisen
7/24/2008, 10:45 AM
They'll give it too one of the loyal assistants

badger
7/24/2008, 10:46 AM
I would have to assume that Capel will look to stay at OU so long as the Duke job isn't open. He and his wife are book Doookies. The only thing that would hold them back is the birth of their daughter, but if she hasn't started school yet, that might not make a difference, either.

In any event, I think that Capel would definitely want the Duke job when it becomes available, regardless of standing at Oklahoma. Whether or not he gets it is up for debate, but I think we would be foolish to think that he would stay here compared to his alma mater where he won the championship and his wife got her law degree.

soonerfan28
7/24/2008, 10:49 AM
It probably would've been Johnny Dawkins job but he's gone now.

badger
7/24/2008, 10:56 AM
No one thought Stoops would be around this long after the 2000 season. I'm sure Joe C. will continue to throw money at Capel as the team gets better. Hopefully the team will get to the top of the Big 12 and we will have a long term coach.

Another good point - Joe C. is a good athletic director for coaches to work with compared to the others out there and coaches know it. They talk with each other. They know what their peers deal with.

Joe C. makes promises to coaches and keeps them. When he says that he'll work to get new practice facilities, up assistant coaches salaries, whatever, he gets it done.

That Yellow Shirt Gestapo is his only strike against him from a fandom point of view. However, everything else has been good for fans. Joe's one of the easiest athletic directors to speak to in person, by e-mail, whatever. Think of all the Joe C. e-mails that get posted here - where did they come from?! They came from Joe C. answering fan e-mails. Joe's also made games more accessible when fan support is especially necessary for basketball by lowering ticket prices, running promotions, etc.

OU is on the map in nearly every sport we have and that has to be credited to the athletic director a little at least. On top of that, it seems like every coach is looking out for every other coach's program in addition to their own. Sherri and Jeff attend football games, as do their players. Bob Stoops and his children (and even the players) regularly attend basketball games for both men and women.

So anyway, Joe C. might lose a coach every so often (like KS, anyone miss him?) but we've seen him hire a few gems, right?

Animal Mother
7/24/2008, 02:02 PM
As long as he wants.

I'm backing this answer.

boomersooner28
7/24/2008, 04:52 PM
Here's another question: How important is Joe Castiglione? Give this guy a raise right along with the outstanding coaches he hires. Joe has been so outstanding and in the shadow of his own hires. KEEP JOE C.!

Eielson
7/24/2008, 05:18 PM

Capel was the top canidate to replace Coach K before he even got to Oklahoma.

badger
7/24/2008, 05:27 PM
Capel was the top canidate to replace Coach K before he even got to Oklahoma.

Considering how all Duke alumni except Capel are either flops as players (Christian Laettner) or as coaches (Quin Snyder)... yeah, I'd agree with that :D

starrca23
7/24/2008, 05:36 PM
If he is interested in having his own legacy, I think he will stay at OU for a while. I would think his career could mirror that of Roy Williams. I really don't think that is too big of a stretch either.

Ardmore_Sooner
7/24/2008, 07:15 PM
And what makes you so sure???

I'm not going into details, and in all seriousness, I talked to Fran Fraschilla about it. When he was in Norman for one of the games this year he came to our class to speak and I asked him about it. There are others that are waiting for the job. Unless his sources are off, I'll take his word over any on here.

Curly Bill
7/24/2008, 07:18 PM
I'm not going into details, and in all seriousness, I talked to Fran Fraschilla about it. When he was in Norman for one of the games this year he came to our class to speak and I asked him about it. There are others that are waiting for the job. Unless his sources are off, I'll take his word over any on here.

Agreed, Capel is not at the front of the line for the Duke job. In fact I think I said earlier he's not especially close to the front...IMO

bluedogok
7/24/2008, 08:06 PM
I think he might be the candidate to replace the guy who replaces Coach K, let a Dookie assistant replace Coach K and fail to meet expectations, then go in and make it your own after that.

Most people down here are surprised that Barnes hasn't left for some of those top jobs either. As many have found out, being at some of those jobs may not be all they are cracked up to be.

Curly Bill
7/24/2008, 08:10 PM
Yup, in many instances getting one of those premier jobs, especially if you get it right after "the man" is not all it's cracked up to be.

How's it go: it's better to be the guy that follows the guy that replaced the legend.

Capel looks like he's getting OU lined out to be successful for a long time, why not ride that horse.

Curly Bill
7/24/2008, 08:24 PM
Most people down here are surprised that Barnes hasn't left for some of those top jobs either. As many have found out, being at some of those jobs may not be all they are cracked up to be.

I hate uterus with a burning passion, but Barnes is in a good situation there. He's well paid, he's got a great spot to recruit from with Houston and Dallas on either side of him, and none of the state's other schools especially good at B-ball right now, and the expecations at uterus are lower then they are at what would be considered the premier B-ball schools.

I do mucho like the fact that OU is starting to go into Texas and bring out some of those big-time recruits. :D

tulsaoilerfan
7/24/2008, 08:39 PM
They'll give it too one of the loyal assistants

That almost never works; check out UNC hoops, Nebraska football, OU football, etc.

Frozen Sooner
7/24/2008, 08:40 PM
I imagine it's Dawkins' job to turn down and then Wojo's.

bluedogok
7/24/2008, 09:21 PM
I do mucho like the fact that OU is starting to go into Texas and bring out some of those big-time recruits. :D
I try to tell'em that down here, UT can't sign all of them and they aren't going to choose to go to UTSA, North Texas or Texas State to stay in-state if they can go to a top level school elsewhere...and they might even choose to go someplace better than UT given the opportunity :D

Curly Bill
7/24/2008, 09:23 PM
I try to tell'em that down here, UT can't sign all of them and they aren't going to choose to go to UTSA, North Texas or Texas State to stay in-state if they can go to a top level school elsewhere...and they might even choose to go someplace better than UT given the opportunity :D

We see it in football all the time, and as we get better at B-ball we'll see more and more of it there too.

stoopified
7/26/2008, 02:04 PM
I cannot answer specifically except to say that he can afford to wait for a BIG NAME b-ball job like a KU,UK,UNC,UCLA,Arizona,Syracuse type situation.I think he will do just that so I think he could be here another 8-10 years.

tommieharris91
7/26/2008, 02:21 PM
That almost never works; check out UNC hoops, Nebraska football, OU football, etc.

I heard Barry Switzer was a pretty good coach...

soonervegas
7/26/2008, 02:47 PM
I just can't imagine if Capel takes OU to 2-3 sweet 16's and a Final Four over the next 6 years that he wouldn't be Duke's top choice. I guess you really can't buy common sense....even at Duke.

Ardmore_Sooner
7/26/2008, 03:00 PM
I just can't imagine if Capel takes OU to 2-3 sweet 16's and a Final Four over the next 6 years that he wouldn't be Duke's top choice. I guess you really can't buy common sense....even at Duke.

Ok, that's true, but will Coach K still be around in 6 years?

SoonerinSouthlake
7/27/2008, 06:31 PM
Capel will be at OU until something of equal or greater prestige is availalbe in ACC or East school

II believe he hates the fact that OU is a Football first school. No I dont have quotes or links..sorry

the_ouskull
7/27/2008, 09:03 PM
I think that we're the first "big time" school that gave Capel a chance to do his thing. I also think that, being a younger guy, and closer to his players than many other coaches because of that, he's always going to have a hard time leaving. Also, considering the fact that he's got the potential to make OU as good a destination for good players as a lot of other schools, I feel like, if we keep paying him, and keep our facilities, etc... competitive, then we'll keep him here and he'll build his career in Crimson and Cream, not Devil Blue. Why wouldn't he want to build a name, and a career, for himself away from Tobacco Road?

the_ouskull

Crimsontothecore
7/31/2008, 08:00 AM
Assuming Capel does what we expect, I think the key to him sticking around is fan support. He is currently loading this program with some serious talent and I think the guy can flat out coach. If he gets this team back to elite status and still sees an ocean of empty seats in LNC, I think he will leave for a better job, but not just any job. Face it, it's time for all OU fans to put butts in those seats.

soonerfan28
7/31/2008, 08:34 AM
Assuming Capel does what we expect, I think the key to him sticking around is fan support. He is currently loading this program with some serious talent and I think the guy can flat out coach. If he gets this team back to elite status and still sees an ocean of empty seats in LNC, I think he will leave for a better job, but not just any job. Face it, it's time for all OU fans to put butts in those seats.
No doubt. When you do everything to put people in the seats and then they don't show up you should go where you're appreciated.

badger
7/31/2008, 09:01 AM
Ok, that's true, but will Coach K still be around in 6 years?

This is Coach K now:
http://www.truthaboutduke.com/photo_real_p_2.jpg

This is Coach K in six years:
http://www.truthaboutduke.com/shop_22.jpg
This is Coach K in 12 years:
http://i35.tinypic.com/65z52d.jpg
This is Coach K in 18 years:
http://www.jaunted.com/files/3873/LlamaTeeth.jpg
DEMON LLAMA! I think he will be out of coaching around the "rat" stage of his evolution. At that time, they will try to find a suitable ratboy replacement. Because Capel does not look like a rat, they will probably go after somebody else who looks weird, but can coach.
http://media.wsbt.com/images/Notre%20Dame%20Weis.jpg
Rather, someone who can coach BASKETBALL, but looks weird.
http://hereticdhammasangha.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/vitale.jpg
ARGH. Someone who can coach WELL, coach BASKETBALL, but looks WEIRD!
http://thenastyboys.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/pearl10.jpg
Oh, he'll blend in at Duke well with the middle age body painting for games. :D

soonerfan28
7/31/2008, 09:48 AM
It won't go to Dawkins because Dawkins won't do jack at Stanford. Wojo maybe, but Capel has proven better then any of the other "Duke" guys that he can coach and recruit. It's getting harder to recruit players to Duke because you actually have to be able to read to get in.

Crimsontothecore
7/31/2008, 11:07 PM
I always find it interesting that we worry and speculate about losing coaches like Capel or Stoops. Maybe the guy we should worry about keeping is Joe C. He is, in my opinion, the best AD in the nation. He is, after all, the guy who brought us Bob Stoops and Jeff Capel.
As long as he's in control, I'll not sweat losing coaches because he's proven he knows how to find and hire great coaches who fit this program. Think about it, two years ago many were skeptical about his hiring of Capel and now we worry about being able to keep the guy!
Bottom line...JOE C. IS THE MAN!

King Crimson
7/31/2008, 11:39 PM
I imagine it's Dawkins' job to turn down and then Wojo's.

i think it was Johnny's job for a long time but 3-4 15-17 win seasons at Stanford are gonna take the shine off Dawkins. i think that was a weird move. go out on your own, OK. maybe argue Stanford is kind of a template for Duke....etc. but, i don't know.

Wojo is not going to take the Duke job straight from K without HC experience elsewhere. If Johnny D wasn't going to do it, then Wojo won't.

i think there are two angles:

1. Capel is a loyal K/Duke guy....but, he's his own guy too and his pops is in the mix. he's not Quin Snyder who was all, but incomplete K. Capel has some other influences in the bag.

2. if we make a couple sweet 16's and Elite 8's i'd say Capel is a better prospect for the Duke job than anyone else in 3-5 years. i think the lustre comes off Dawkins, unless he can flat out coach (it's possible) and has success at Stanford. and Wojo is too late coming unless K has 10 more years and Wojo wins big at a lesser but regional school.