PDA

View Full Version : ATTN OU Students (And Fans!)

Ardmore_Sooner
7/24/2008, 01:05 AM
Hey everybody, I thought I would post a thread on the board about our student organization that started last year, and is coming on full strength for the upcoming basketball season. Right now we are known as Capel's Crew, but the official name is still up in the air. We are in the process of becoming an official university organization.

I know there are quite a few students who read this board and this is a great opportunity to get involved in the University and be involved in helping the OU Basketball team get the type of exposure it deserves on campus.

With the NBA coming to Oklahoma City we know that our job as a group has gotten that much harder.

If you are a student at the University of Oklahoma, will be in the next few months, or just want to get involved to help out contact Geoff Hauger or send me a PM. Geoff started our group, but has recently graduated. Tyler (the new leader of the group), myself, and a few others are taking over the group and we need all the help we can get. We are not just limiting ourselves to just students, if you are an avid OU basketball fan, please contact us!

Here is a recent letter that Geoff has sent out with some information about our group.

-----------------------------------------------------

Dear OU Students,

Capel's Crew is a student group dedicated to increasing student attendance and enhancing the student section atmosphere for the men's basketball games. We would love to have anyone and everyone be apart of helping Coach Capel and the team have a better home court advantage. The group was started last year by a couple of hardcore OU hoops junkies, and currently has around 40 members. In joining this group you have the opportunity to:

- Help put out some advertising before the home games in the form of fliers, chalkings, and yard signs

- Get to the games early and help pass out newspapers, balloons, and game fact sheets to the student section

- Do your part in spreading the word about Capel and the boys to your classmates, family, and student groups.

By being a member of Capel's Crew:

- You will have the opportunity to get to meet Coach Capel, his staff, and the players.

- Be apart of several events during the upcoming year such as a private tour of the basketball offices, practice courts, and getting to watch a closed practice, and getting to attend the end of the year basketball banquet put on by the Tip-In Club.

- Lastly, we will be getting together to watch the road games, and even doing a little traveling to see a couple of them (Like Arkansas, OSU, and Baylor). It is a good chance to get to meet some other students that really like OU basketball.

The group has the full support of Coach Capel and the marketing department, and we will become an official student group through the UOSA this fall. Let me know if you are interested.

Boomer Sooner,

Geoff Hauger
[email protected]
------------------------------------------------

Guys, do not hesitate to contact me with any questions! We are going to have an incredible team this year!

Boomer Sooner!

tommieharris91
7/24/2008, 01:57 AM
I'd join, but I dun grajumicated. I wanna get season tix for this season though. I actually helped out a bit at the last game vs Missouri. The CrimZone is a nice place to watch a game.

Ardmore_Sooner
7/24/2008, 02:01 AM
There is always room for help, student or not. Just contact Geoff if you think you will be at a lot of the games, and I'm sure you can find some way to get involved.

badger
7/24/2008, 10:59 AM
Have you started a Facebook group? :):):)

That is the best way to reach students. If you are trying to reach alumni, might I suggest an alternative letter?
---
Dear Sooner fans,

ATTEND BASKETBALL GAMES! Don't have excuses, have tickets! Get your butt in a seat and bring others! No more laughing stock attendance figures with ugly red-orange plastic seats showing up on television. Beeeeeeee therrrrrre.

Signed,
Capel's Crew
---

This will be more effective :D

It's SUPER EFFECTIVE! ;)

OUstud
7/24/2008, 11:03 AM
I'm an incoming freshman and a member of the Facebook group. It's good to see ideas like this, other than our usual big games the student section is pretty dead. I know at places like Duke the "game fact sheet" has dirt on other teams players/coaches...

Ardmore_Sooner
7/24/2008, 11:18 AM
Have you started a Facebook group? :):):)

That is the best way to reach students. If you are trying to reach alumni, might I suggest an alternative letter?
---
Dear Sooner fans,

ATTEND BASKETBALL GAMES! Don't have excuses, have tickets! Get your butt in a seat and bring others! No more laughing stock attendance figures with ugly red-orange plastic seats showing up on television. Beeeeeeee therrrrrre.

Signed,
Capel's Crew
---

This will be more effective :D

It's SUPER EFFECTIVE! ;)

Yes, we already have a facebook group. Just hitting all points that we can.

soonershane22
7/24/2008, 12:19 PM
This is great!! I would love to be able to buy a t-shirt or something like that to support the group. I would definitely wear it to the games. Maybe you could do two t-shirts. One for members of the group (students) and one for people that are not actually "members" of the group but want to support the group (alumni/fans/etc.). "Capel's Crew" and "Capel's Crew Boosters" something like that. Keep us posted on here of how things are going and what we (alumni) might be able to do to help support the effort!

SicEmBaylor
7/24/2008, 12:47 PM
Hey everybody, I thought I would post a thread on the board about our student organization that started last year, and is coming on full strength for the upcoming basketball season. Right now we are known as Capel's Crew, but the official name is still up in the air. We are in the process of becoming an official university organization.

I know there are quite a few students who read this board and this is a great opportunity to get involved in the University and be involved in helping the OU Basketball team get the type of exposure it deserves on campus.

With the NBA coming to Oklahoma City we know that our job as a group has gotten that much harder.

If you are a student at the University of Oklahoma, will be in the next few months, or just want to get involved to help out contact Geoff Hauger or send me a PM. Geoff started our group, but has recently graduated. Tyler (the new leader of the group), myself, and a few others are taking over the group and we need all the help we can get. We are not just limiting ourselves to just students, if you are an avid OU basketball fan, please contact us!

Here is a recent letter that Geoff has sent out with some information about our group.

-----------------------------------------------------

Dear OU Students,

Capel's Crew is a student group dedicated to increasing student attendance and enhancing the student section atmosphere for the men's basketball games. We would love to have anyone and everyone be apart of helping Coach Capel and the team have a better home court advantage. The group was started last year by a couple of hardcore OU hoops junkies, and currently has around 40 members. In joining this group you have the opportunity to:

- Help put out some advertising before the home games in the form of fliers, chalkings, and yard signs

- Get to the games early and help pass out newspapers, balloons, and game fact sheets to the student section

- Do your part in spreading the word about Capel and the boys to your classmates, family, and student groups.

By being a member of Capel's Crew:

- You will have the opportunity to get to meet Coach Capel, his staff, and the players.

- Be apart of several events during the upcoming year such as a private tour of the basketball offices, practice courts, and getting to watch a closed practice, and getting to attend the end of the year basketball banquet put on by the Tip-In Club.

- Lastly, we will be getting together to watch the road games, and even doing a little traveling to see a couple of them (Like Arkansas, OSU, and Baylor). It is a good chance to get to meet some other students that really like OU basketball.

The group has the full support of Coach Capel and the marketing department, and we will become an official student group through the UOSA this fall. Let me know if you are interested.

Boomer Sooner,

Geoff Hauger
[email protected]
------------------------------------------------

Guys, do not hesitate to contact me with any questions! We are going to have an incredible team this year!

Boomer Sooner!

This sounds almost exactly like our Bear Pit.

badger
7/24/2008, 01:12 PM
This sounds almost exactly like our Bear Pit.

Sans the Bear Claw, of course:
http://www.wacotrib.com/custom/nospider/impl/includes/gabriels/morriss/300-guymostory.jpg

Baylor University Bear Pit: Now with 100 percent less Guysssssss :O

HA HA HA! Get it? Do you get it? No more GUY's at Baylor! :D

I would normally self-report a violation here for making an awful joke, but LSUdeek got after me yesterday for that. :rolleyes:

SicEmBaylor
7/24/2008, 01:56 PM
Sans the Bear Claw, of course:
http://www.wacotrib.com/custom/nospider/impl/includes/gabriels/morriss/300-guymostory.jpg

Baylor University Bear Pit: Now with 100 percent less Guysssssss :O

HA HA HA! Get it? Do you get it? No more GUY's at Baylor! :D

I would normally self-report a violation here for making an awful joke, but LSUdeek got after me yesterday for that. :rolleyes:

lol

Except of course the Bear Pit is a basketball-only organization. ;)
The Baylor Line is the football equivalent.

SicEmBaylor
7/24/2008, 01:57 PM
http://baylorbears.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/bear-pit.html

tommieharris91
7/24/2008, 02:01 PM
This is great!! I would love to be able to buy a t-shirt or something like that to support the group. I would definitely wear it to the games. Maybe you could do two t-shirts. One for members of the group (students) and one for people that are not actually "members" of the group but want to support the group (alumni/fans/etc.). "Capel's Crew" and "Capel's Crew Boosters" something like that. Keep us posted on here of how things are going and what we (alumni) might be able to do to help support the effort!

Capel's Coffers? Would that sound too much like "WE'RE TEH DAMDED CHEETIN GOONERZ DAT PAY TEH PLAIURZ!8!!!"...?

the_ouskull
7/27/2008, 08:57 PM
I'm an incoming freshman and a member of the Facebook group. It's good to see ideas like this, other than our usual big games the student section is pretty dead. I know at places like Duke the "game fact sheet" has dirt on other teams players/coaches...

When we first started Kelvin's Krew at OU (which was Kelvin's Krazies until the people at Griffin objected...) we did something similar to this occasionally, leading to one of the funnier moments I've ever been a part of, fan-wise. We were playing some directional Texas school, and I believe it was Coach Champagne pulled a few of us aside before the game and told us that one of the players had been arrested while he was still in high school. "No biggie," I'm thinking. "Happens all the time. Just kids being ki..."

...arrested for the slaughter of a deer used in a Satanic ritual.

Awwwwww sh*t, son. It's on.

First time this guy goes to shoot free throws in the second half, OUR end of the court, all of Kelvin's Krew, the Ruf/Nek's, the band, and as much of the student section as we could get the word out to (we didn't tell the Spirit Council 'cause they sucked...) joined us in "welcoming" this upstanding young gentleman to the LNC.

"YOU KILLED BAMBI!" Clap, Clap, Clapclapclap. Rinse, Repeat.

Said player (some tall white dude) started crying uncontrollably and had to be helped back to the bench.

Krew - 1
Enemy - 0

And now, in the internet age, I'm sure that you guys will be able to find much better pictures of players, their girlfriends, etc... Although, for sheer enjoyment and distraction, a poster of Al Eschbach wearing a bikini is pretty hard to top. I miss being young and stupid. Being old and stupid is kinda boring...

the_ouskull

w0lfe
7/28/2008, 12:25 PM
Awesome idea. Im a student and would love doing this but cant for two reasons. This semester I got stuck with all night classes and work weekends and also me and my dad have been getting season tickets together for 13 years. I hope to see this pan out and do really well because if the attendance keeps lacking, then we will lose out on great recruits and possibly lose a great coach.

Sooner_09
7/28/2008, 01:40 PM
So does this require us to buy season tickets?

Ardmore_Sooner
7/28/2008, 02:10 PM
So does this require us to buy season tickets?

We are in the works of getting Non-Conference games free, so yes you would still have to buy season tickets, but that is only for the 8 conference games. And they SHOULD be much cheaper this year. Like I said hit me with a PM if you are interested.

Ardmore_Sooner
7/28/2008, 02:12 PM
Awesome idea. Im a student and would love doing this but cant for two reasons. This semester I got stuck with all night classes and work weekends and also me and my dad have been getting season tickets together for 13 years. I hope to see this pan out and do really well because if the attendance keeps lacking, then we will lose out on great recruits and possibly lose a great coach.

Well that's only your Fall schedule, don't get any night classes in the Spring! ;) But seriously, if you want to help, you aren't gonna be required to sit in a certain spot during the games. Heck, I'd rather sit by my dad too if he could make all the home games.

NormanPride
7/28/2008, 04:11 PM
One of my biggest regrets was not going to more bball games. Pride in the fall and work/more school in the spring left me with little time to attend. And now that I'm in Tulsa, it's a bit hard to make the ones I want. :( I wish there was a train or something that could get us there quickly and cheaply!

w0lfe
7/29/2008, 10:52 AM
alright ardmore I can live with that. I shouldn't have any night classes next semester. I graduate in May and am just taking my capstone, a major course, and golf :cool:

Sooner_09
7/29/2008, 03:18 PM
We are in the works of getting Non-Conference games free, so yes you would still have to buy season tickets, but that is only for the 8 conference games. And they SHOULD be much cheaper this year. Like I said hit me with a PM if you are interested.

I ask because the main reason I do not buy bball season tickets is because I don't know if I can make it to every game since many are during the week. If I did not have to buy season tix I would definitely be interested though

Ardmore_Sooner
7/29/2008, 03:45 PM
I ask because the main reason I do not buy bball season tickets is because I don't know if I can make it to every game since many are during the week. If I did not have to buy season tix I would definitely be interested though

This possibility is all but gone. The administration won't budge on letting students in for free. I don't know specific reasons why, but like I said we have/are working to get things much cheaper. We're talking $5-$10 a game, a price cut from the $20 a game for the marquee match ups from last year.

Sooner_09
7/29/2008, 03:52 PM
What about those who can find individual game tix?

SoonerDutch
7/29/2008, 10:20 PM
I'm a prospective Oklahoma student, but I've attended dozens of basketball and football games over the years. If I decide to go to OU, this is something that I would definitely be interested in. This is something that the basketball program desperately needs. Anything to improve fan participation, especially the student section, needs to happen.

Ardmore_Sooner
7/29/2008, 10:23 PM
I'm a prospective Oklahoma student, but I've attended dozens of basketball and football games over the years. If I decide to go to OU, this is something that I would definitely be interested in. This is something that the basketball program desperately needs. Anything to improve fan participation, especially the student section, needs to happen.

Just keep in touch man and we will go from there. I'll be keeping everyone updated with more information as we finish our groups constitution and officially become a UOSA group.

Ardmore_Sooner
7/30/2008, 02:44 PM
Hey guys, we just created a website last night, so check it out!

http://webstarts.com/Capels_Crew

Ardmore_Sooner
8/19/2008, 12:56 AM
Good news on student tickets this year guys. Get excited is all I can say, and I'll inform everyone when things become "official".

OUstud
8/19/2008, 02:34 PM
I'm very excited...:twinkies:

Ardmore_Sooner
8/22/2008, 10:23 AM
NEW Rebate offer

• All tickets on a game-by-game basis would be $10. Exhibition would continue to still be free leaving 17 ticketed events (single game price $170).

STUDENT SEASON TICKET $130
(23% discount)

Just by attending (or having someone else use your season ticket) you will have the opportunity to have Coach Capel purchase your ticket for you. At the completion of the season, those student season ticket holders that went to 16 or more of the games (90%) will have a $130 credit put back on their bursar account and anyone who at least attended 14 of the games (80%) will have a $50 credit.

NEW Pickup policy
We have created a new option for students to pickup their game tickets via print-at-home. This will allow for 24/7 capability as opposed to just the Athletic Ticket Office hours of operation. This benefit should make it much easier and simpler for the student body to get their game ticket.

We will still offer the same pickup of small groupings of games through the year and the Athletics Ticket Office will still be an option for pickup, but print-at-home will add to the availability of picking up tickets. During this scheduled time, students can pickup any combination of games within each pickup.

NEW Student Only Entrance
Since all reserved student areas are centrally located in the north end, the student entrance will be the lower north doors. This Student Only entry will help expedite student entry as well as serve as a student resolution center in the event of lost tickets, ticket upgrades or purchases (if available). All non-participating students will also enter through this location. Students with disability issues can contact the Athletics Ticket Office for more information.

w0lfe
8/22/2008, 05:53 PM
I am really glad to see this taking off. I have been spreading the word like you would not believe. I am at work and told an alumni about it. He said he would be interested but how would it work with his ticket prices?

Ardmore_Sooner
8/22/2008, 06:09 PM
As far as I know, this is just the student tickets, I am not sure if prices will be changing for the regular season tickets.

w0lfe
8/22/2008, 06:44 PM
You should see if their is any way that you could have someone post this on the hub that way more students can find out about it

Ardmore_Sooner
8/22/2008, 08:15 PM
As of right now, this is still not "set in stone" but this info has come from higher up. It is pretty much a done deal from sources, and we are already spreading the news around about it (whether we are supposed to or not is beyond me :D). As soon as it is "official" I'm sure it will be all over the hub. And w0lfe, I got you PM, I'll get you more info as thing transpire and we get this thing moving.

w0lfe
8/22/2008, 09:27 PM
Alright man just hit me up whenever. I appreciate it

OUstud
8/22/2008, 10:07 PM
Awesome news. I'm a freshman now, and that sounds tight. I was gonna go to every game anyway but this gives me even more reason to!